IMDb > Spider-Man 3 (2007) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Spider-Man 3

Spider-Man 3 (VG) More at IMDbPro »

PS2 version could have been better...

Author: Joel Wilson from New Zealand
10 July 2007

I recently rented this game for the PlayStation 2, because it was around $70 and I wasn't sure whether I wanted to buy it. At first, it seemed a little dull and boring, but as the game progressed I got more interested in the game and so I kept playing. It took me about 5 hours to complete the story, and the overall the game is quite good, but after Spider-Man 2 (and, in particular, Ultimate Spider-Man) I was hoping for better.

New York City is my first major complaint; the city is supposed to be bigger, but it felt small and unwelcoming. It was not very busy, and there were near to no noises in the background. Also, if you climb a tall skyscraper, the materials on the buildings further away disappeared, unlike Spider-Man 2. And it's not as accurate as the New York in Spider-Man 2, which wasn't entirely accurate, although this one is still a major disappointment compared to the SM2 one.

Swinging around New York is as fun as ever, and the Web Zip is more powerful in this game than in the last game. This means that if you are in a hurry for a mission, it will be helpful to zip around instead of swinging, because the swinging is slow and even the booster (which arrives at the end of your swing as you launch through the air) doesn't help much. This aside, the swinging looks very cool, and is in the same sort of style as Ultimate Spider-Man, where he moves with the web.

The story is roughly the same as the film's; Peter Parker/Spider-Man gets a black costume that makes him more powerful and aggressive. He tries to use his new powers the way he used to, but they take him over and so he must fight to control himself. Meanwhile, a new super villain, Sandman, is on the loose and it is up to Spider-Man to stop him. However, when the Black Suit gets to be too much power for Peter, he takes it off and it bonds with Eddie Brock, creating Venom.

This story is changed before the fights with Sandman, and so the main movie fights are not until the very end and don't take very long to complete. This is disappointing, as Sandman and Venom were two of the super villains I was most looking forward to fighting, and yet the only fights with them are exactly the same as in the movie - and less! The other super villains are the Lizard (which is fun as long as you don't keep dying, because then it gets rather boring) and Morbius/Shriek. Morbius and Shriek take up most of the story and make you wonder if you're ever going to get to Sandman and Venom, and I got a little confused when I read on the box "CHOOSE between 5 different story lines". In the end, this was a false statement; you can only follow the game, not choose any story lines, and I was a bit worried at first that I had accidentally chosen the wrong one! Basically, the Morbius/Shriek part of the game is not very fun, and takes up a lot of time. The only reason you'll want to play it is to get to Venom and Sandman, although those fights aren't everything you'd hope them to be either. Venom looks incredibly fat and isn't appealing to the eye at all (despite the fact that he's not SUPPOSED to - see the movie to see what the game creators were trying to make). The fights with him are long and difficult, and his taunts get very annoying after the hundredth time (and he repeats them about 50 times in one fight, so you end up playing the level, dying, and then repeating the level, which equals more annoying taunts).

The best parts of the game are the three Sandman fights, although even these are not all they're cracked up to be. Mostly you just repeat the same thing over and over again, and it doesn't seem very action-y.

I did enjoy this game mildly, though; the graphics were okay, and the boss fights weren't all too bad. I haven't yet played Spider-Man 3 for PC (which is a port of the Xbox 360 and PS3 version) but I am sure it is better than the PS2 version. I can, in a way, recommend this game, but only for the Sandman battles.

4/10.

A fun yet frustrating game.

Author: ninjaprease from Lund, Sweden
1 May 2007

This game reminds me of GTA, but instead of being a punk running around shooting people and stealing cars, you're a superhero swinging around beating up punks. The game starts with some guy called Mad Bomber trying to blow up a skyscrape. It took a while for me before I learned the controls (wich I'm sure feels better on a console, but I have the game for PC) and before I learned different combos etc. When you're done with this quite simple mission, you're free to swing around in the city all you want. You can choose to play a mission whenever you want, you can play different sorts of time challenges, you can fight crime in different zones and so on. The first missions are quite boring. You fight different gangs like the Dragon Tail, Arsenic Candy, The Apocalypse etc. Although, after a while you get to fight the real bad guys. That big lizard who once was a friend of yours, Sandman, the new Green Goblin, Scorpion etc. You also get to use the black suit. The voice acting in this game is superb. A lot of people from the movie also stars in the game.

So what's bad about it? Well, that some missions are totally stupid, like the Mary Jane missions. The game can also be very frustrating when you're for example trying to beat the crap out of sandman for the 10th time. Or when you're one second from disarming a bomb and it blows up, when you is that close to saving some stupid dinosaur skeleton and it is destroyed, or when you...

Conclusion: A fun yet frustrating game.

A decent game overrated by "next gen" status

Author: commanderblue from United States
10 June 2007

Like the previous movie games, this one is also based off the motion picture film and depicts Spider-Man bonding with a dark entity that changes his entire persona and life to a great evil. When it nearly ruins his life, he realizes he must cleanse himself of the suit.

While the game follows up on a big blockbuster movie, do not let that fool you. Graphics may be one of the only greatest things about this game. The graphics are the best any Spider-Man video game has seen yet and a step up from the Superman Returns video game graphics. It isn't comparable to Gears of War, but certainly is great on its own level.

However, the downfalls overpower the pros. First is the monotonous city. The hyped up improvements die quickly as the explorable subways and sewers become old. The citizens of Manhattan no longer thank, yell or cheer on their friendly neighborhood, Spider-Man. A few improvements include cars that actually hit you if you get in the middle of a busy avenue- but the lackluster atmosphere of the city from inaccurate landmarks to zombie-like citizens certainly is a downfall.

This time around the missions are different and the player gets a unique feature to play any story missions in any order. Unfortunately there is no continuity as the missions feel scrambled and it is unbelievable that so many things could be happening in the city all at one time. To make matters worse, players only get a mere three missions representing the movie storyline whilst everything else is filler. A few disgruntled fans and critics of the movie argued about cramming too much into a Spidey film. In here- it almost seems mimicked.

Spider-Man is greatly improved however in his own graphics and fighting techniques. He is even more powerful using the black suit. Yet Spider-Man is the only decent character in the entire game and through time, it doesn't even feel like a Spider-Man game you are playing with all the costume changes (Rhino looks like the Juggernaut from X3). Bruce Campbell as the narrator sounds bored with his job this time around and the villains seem to reflect the little screen time they had in the movie.

Sandman for instance appears out of nowhere on your first mission using the black suit and you almost wonder if Spider-Man is having a nightmare. Sandman's transformation in the game is also a rip-off as we see it in a mere 3 seconds in the opening credits. Eddie Brock appears about 2 times tops in the video game, and Venom in only one mission. The same is said for Harry Osborn who makes two appearances and is nothing like the way he was in the movie. Unlike the first two games where we see the detailed and sometimes emotional transformations into their villainous persona's such as Norman Osborn into Green Goblin or Octavius into Doc Ock- the villains here appear in the blink of an eye and are long gone before you realize it.

Review

Author: Anthony Nardelli (nardelli_12@hotmail.com) from Canada
13 May 2007

i was expecting this to be one of my favorite games ever because ultimate spider-man and spider-man 2 games are my favorite games ever but this isn't huge let down its just conclusion of the game is bad if you seen the film harry dies he also dies in the game but when its all over they completely forgot about that and story mode is short to atleaset on the ps2 version but swinging around new york is just pure fun so is story mode but its disappointing that it is so short and playing has black suit is fun but its to bad you cant after you beat the game. So overlay this is another great spider-man game but it doesn't compare to ultimate spider-man and spider-man 2 game.And the spider-man 3 game is better then the first spider-man movie game so i recemond this spidey game is very fun.

Overall:7/10

Great visual effects make it entertaining

Author: jflizard from Portugal
12 May 2007

It's not unusual that people comment on a movie like they're looking for mistakes in the plot, or searching very deep for the weakest points in it, just to give a so-so-rating. Spiderman is one of those kinds of movies... It has some weak points, the story sometimes seems to forget one or other character, and then in the end they all come together like it was so natural. The sandman isn't such a bad guy but seems to be a bit too violent for a person who is just trying to save it's kid... a bit greedy isn't him? And if he's not a killer, why'd he agree to kill spider man so easily?... OK, you can add lots of other bad things in the plot, you'll find'em, but isn't it supposed to be an entertaining movie? Yes, and to put the bad guys together Eddie, wearing the black suit finds the sandman in a blink and make in an allie in less than 5 seconds!! Besides that, and concentrating on the action itself, Spiderman 3 has a very good pace, and most of the situations happen in a "natural" way, entertaining a lot (which is it's main purpose). The special effects are great, lots of CGI of course, but even that is getting better and better, and now Spiderman jumps and action seems more real than ever! That was one of the reasons I went to watch the movie! The black suit is really nice and it was a really good story to pick from(will it return? there is a little sample on the laboratory where Parker left it to be analyzed)... I a Spiderman fan since I was a kid, although I stop reading the comics long ago, but this movie is probably the best in the series, mainly because it's superb special effects and CGI. Because of that, all the weak points aren't enough to say "it's not a good movie"...

Pretty Fun, but it could have been better

Author: impulse589 from United States
30 June 2007

I got the Nintendo DS version. Pretty fun. But just like Metroid Prime: Hunters, the controls are hard to get use to. But when you master the controls, it gets fun.

I would suggest this game to people who like fun and challenging games. The moves in this game are wickedly cool. A fight is always around the corner whenever you want hero points. The Black Suit is Awesome. Once you wear it, you don't want to take it off. The black suit makes you stronger and faster. It makes you understand the quote:"This suit. The power...it feels great." You are sent on missions by Detective Jean Dewolfe, where you fight gangs like the dragon tails{NOT THE CARTOON SHOW FOR KIDS},VooDoo and the apocalypse. The boss battles are really fun{Especially New Goblin,Lizard and Megalizard} Mad Bomber is okay, but not that exciting. Sandman is pretty hard until you find out what to do. As for Venom, he's kind of too easy. He could have been better. The Lizard storyline also could have been better if Kraven The Hunter was involved. This is a really fun game.

However, I do not suggest this game to people who like movie games that stay completely true to it's film. The game does not mention why Sandman went into crime and how he got his powers. The game also does not reveal that Sandman is Uncle Ben's real killer. Instead, this is replaced with Sandman nearly killing a lot of people while trying to rob a bank,causing Spider-Man to want revenge. The character of Gwen Stacy who appears in the film, does not appear in the game nor is mentioned. Neither is her father. The first fight sequence {Peter vs Harry} has a different history in the game. The final fight sequence{Spidey&Goblin vs Sandman&Venom} also has different history than the film. Eddie Brock does not speak until he becomes Venom. To be honest, I felt like the Lizard storyline was more interesting than the movie storyline.

Another thing I like to complement on is the quotes said in the game.

Peter Parker/Spider-Man:"{while fighting gang members}FOUR!"

Peter Parker/Spider-Man:"Wait wait! I got a better move."

Peter Parker/Spider-Man:"Just another day in the life of your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man."

Harry Osborn/New Goblin:"Feeling deja vu Peter?"

Harry Osborn/New Goblin:"You'll pay for what you did to my father."

Dr.Curt Conors/Lizard:"You shouldn't beeeeee here. Little ssssssspider."

Dr.Curt Conors/Lizard:"Leave meeeee alone. Little sssssssspider."

Flint Marko/Sandman:"How bout I kick a little sand in your face?"

Flint Marko/Sandman:"You know what I like about you Spider-Man? NOTHING!"

Luke Carlye/Mad Bomber:"You cant win! My men will be running this city in weeks!!"

Eddie Brock/Venom:"I know you better than you know yourself parker. TRY SOMETHING I DON'T EXPECT!!"

Eddie Brock/Venom:"C'Mon Parker, at least make a fight out of it!"

Eddie Brock/Venom:"OOOOOOOh! Come and get it big boy!"

Pretty neat quotes. They describe the characters really well. I just wished Venom said,"We Are Venom" or "Never wound, what you cant kill." There's your review for the Nintendo DS version folks. 6/10.

Review for PS3 version.

Author: Ilikehorrormovies
12 July 2017

I use to like this game a lot but I found few problems like button smashing is a big problem. The Quick Time Event sucks, and the boss fight sucks a lot. The last gen version is better because there's barely Quick Time Events and IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU BUTTON SMASH!! At least it's better than The Amazing Spider-Man 2 game. I still like Spider-Man 2 the game because it's way fun then this game. I think this game need for development.

Spider-man 3

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
22 October 2016

Spider-Man is back to save the city with his usual hero work, only this time he bonds with an alien substance known as symbiote which turns his hero days and personal life into something ugly. Not as bad as you might think it does get annoying tho with those Lizards and even those bombs but still it was a pretty nice game you get to fight Sandman and by far my favorite mission with Harry where you were hold by his board and you had to hit his head around the buildings and basically destroy his board at the same time also Lizard makes an appearance and it wasn't that bad to say the truth. It's not better than Spiderman 2 but its definitely better than Spiderman (2002).

I just could now get into the swing of things with this Spider-man game.

Author: Aaron1375
2 June 2012

This game, like the movie it was based on, did not receive the fanfare or adoration of its predecessor. While I enjoyed the third film, it is the weakest for me. This game is weak too, especially compared to the previous two games. I do not know, I could not get into it at all. It just seems they just do not want to make an awesome Spider-man game that would blow any gamer and Spidey fan away, but instead they make games with limited super villains, ignoring some aspect of Spider-man's powers or they make the area you can explore so large that it becomes irritating. This one does all three, why they simply cannot make a Spider-man game based on the comics that incorporates the free roaming environment of two (minus the horrible sewers in this one) and have adventure after adventure within it is beyond me. Have multiple stories involving the enemies, have random super villain crimes within the city, simply do everything you can. No, instead this game is limited and it is a bore at times. The swinging seems off in this one too, which that is the highlight of the last game. The stories within are nothing special either, I did not get to far in this one before I just did not want to play it anymore. At least the second game I played it till I got to the final encounter with Doctor Octopus before I quit. They try to incorporate Spider-man's spidey sense, and do so badly, they open up the sewers for exploration and end up making an overly complicated mess and the made the web swinging seem off which is why I ended up quitting as I could not do a mission where I had to pursue something. So yes, this Spidey game disappoints, much like the film it was based on for many people.

like they combined both 2 and 3 together

Author: tonyjea92 from United States
3 August 2010

as the title suggests this game to me was like both spiderman 2 and 3 combined for 1 game it was like two where as the combat graphics and gameplay overall were the same but like 3 in which it had wayyyyyyyy too many story lines i felt some were unnecessary such as the gang bosses and the kingpin those mission i could care less and what disappointed me was that the movie line was totally underrated there were only 3 missions where as the mad bomber was 5 missions long nevertheless it made me a bigger spiderman fan than i am today and without this game on your shelf your not a true spiderman fan be warned though some battles such as venom harry and even sandy are a bit frustrating at first but be patient you will conquer the awesomeness that is called Spiderman 3