IMDb > "Iron Man: Armored Adventures" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Surprisingly great

Author: Tin Ton from Slovenia
12 February 2010

I must say that at first I did not like the style of the animation. Its different, completely computer generated. You know what I mean. But after watching a few episodes I must say I got hooked. It is one of the best animated shows out there. I might just put it right next to my favorite shows like the 1994 Spider-man TV-series, 1996 Superman TV-series, 2001 Justice League TV-series or even Samurai Jack. Shows that are not generic, shallow and with stupid,over and over recycled humor. The stories in Iron Man are intriguing, I especially like the adventurous angle. And I really must congratulate the creators on making the fights and movements and the trashing that occurs on screen feel alive. I don't know how they did it but each step that Iron Man makes in the heavy suit or in general the movements of the armor,Hulks movements etc.. everything has this incredible audio backing that makes the movements come alive somehow. When he is thrown against the wall the bass is just right, when he walks the sounds of parts moving are just right. For example compare it to the new Planet Hulk animation movie by Marvel and you will be amazed at how bad it is and how good Iron Man AA is. Like day and night. So all in all we have good interesting plots with fun twists (refreshingly well thought out and logical with attention to detail and not with lame plot holes like we can often find with such animated series) accompanied with witty dialog and clever jokes. Again I repeat, If you find the animation a bit weird at first, don't, it is amazing, especially when you realize how incredible it is mixed with the audio. It really comes alive. And the how the Mandarin is portrayed in the series is amazing. The voice, the looks. Very scary and evil. I seriously do not think I am exaggerating if I say that it shows that the authors are real fans of the comics and put a lot of effort in making everything click together. Unlike the previously mentioned Planet Hulk or some other lame attempt at animation.

The show gets A LOT better after the plot.

Author: Gregory from Estonia, Tallinn
23 August 2009

When the first two episodes came out, I was in a way offended enough not to watch it again. Many probably wanted to see something related to the 2008 movie, not less liked by older fans kid-Stark series aimed at a younger audience. However, a while ago I decided to give the show another go, and boy I'm glad I did. The origin story was bad, but was there primarily to explain the basic points of the plot.

It is a change of pace from the original worn out tales. The series is a huge thought through story, with multiple side plots, and is best seen in order. Tony Stark loses his dads business to Stain for a few years before he becomes of legal age. The only good resources left to Tony are in an old business warehouse, where he builds his armored suits. Aided by his friends, and even enemies, he tries to make things right in the world. And he also has to go to school 5 days a weak. This turns him from a rich playboy alcoholic into a basic nerd.

If you like reasonable high-tech tools, weapons and suits, you will love this show. The villains usually have a visually superior completely altered wardrobe and tweaked arsenal. Best of all Tony starts of with nothing but jetboots and has to integrate enemy tech into his suit to improve it. Not to mention he also has to work out some bugs out of the suits systems.

Characters are well thought through, though not complex and sometimes predictable. If you look close enough even the henchmen have personalities. The creators did a terrific job to make you doubt how it will all end, without offending the fans.

The graphics aren't top, but they aren't distracting or try to go beyond necessities. There is clipping, some seen without effort, but its rear and will loosen up dull moments. Probably some areas could have used more dirt and garbage elements, but other than that backgrounds are OK.

Yes, the series has its bad episodes, and I think the pilot was the worst, but without it you would probably ask too many questions. If you don't like the series, my advice: stop watching it for a while and then try again starting with the next episode.

Great show that entertains your kids.

Author: Nathan Dickamore from United States
20 December 2009

Usually it really bugs me the entertainment industry takes a great story like Iron Man and makes all the main characters kids, but not so with this animated series. As I have grown older and witnessed the pure crap that is focused towards a younger audience, it is encouraging to see a fun and worth while show come on the horizon. All of my children, from age 3 to 12, love this series. We have the first 6 episodes on Netflix Watch Instantly and my kids watch the entire series frequently. I watched it with them the first time and found it to be quite entertaining. Not the same quality as the latest movie, but good enough to keep me spending quality time with the kids.

I just hope we will see this continue on for a while and more episodes appear on Netflix Watch Instantly.

A great show if you invest beyond the pilot!

Author: Hakan-hagglund-987-85237 from Sweden
19 April 2012

I'm a BIG marvel fan and have was very happy when they announced a new animated Iron Man series. But to my disappointment I noticed that the creators had decided to throw away the origin story from the comics and replace it with one where Tony becomes Iron Man as a teenager. This was a major turn off for me when that in most cases means a series is adapted solely for smaller audiences. In most cases...

This is not one of those cases. In a way I must say this series actually have a much better origin than the original. I love the fact that Tony is a minor and two years away from becoming Mr. Stark (owner of Stark Industries) because that opens up a lot of story to tell. Also this series is not at all childish as I expected. The dialogue is really well written and all the voices, except Peppers, is really great. Also it's a very serialized series which makes it all the more enjoyable when you watch all episodes. On the other hand it makes it harder to get into if you're missing episodes.

Actually the only really bad thing with this series is that damn Pepper Potts. She's so damn whimsy and talk so much smack with that annoying voice. I just want her to die but that would probably ruin the origin story a little to much =). It's not something that ruins the show but for me it keeps it from being perfect. It's a strange choice to make Pepper so childish and annoying when everybody else acts so mature.

Take it from someone who really dislikes it when they screw up origin stories.. This series is great! It doesn't screw up the origin, it makes a new one. One that is superior to the original. The animation seems a little bit off in the first episode but as the series progresses it gets much better. The big nemesis for Tony, The Mandarin, is made really well, as are all the other enemies as well. The only thing this series is lacking right now is some solid crossovers from other famous marvel characters but I'm sure that'll come.. Also WAR MACHINE is soooo much cooler in this series than in the live action movie! The pilot is really bad compared to the rest of the series so give it a shot and I'll think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find a mature animated show about one of the cooler Marvel characters. Even though he's depicted as a teenager.

Surprisingly Excellent

Author: Niz from United States
3 June 2009

I imagined this to be another throw away show. I thought it was only created for more money to be made from the success of the movie, but I was mistaken!

The show is well written. The characters are three dimensional. And the story is very intriguing. But you have to watch all the episodes in order. It's almost a serial type of show. If you miss an episode it'll be harder to understand what's going on.

I definitely recommend the show to anyone interested. And just a side note, the show so far in my opinion is better than the new Wolverine And the X-men series.

It holds on to the elements that make Tony Stark, Tony/Iron man.

Author: Gene Marie from Canada
25 October 2011

At first glance I was skeptical; making Tony 16...I went really??? But I actually dig it. As I know all products are targeted for the mid teens so I grunted but watched it anyway. I was also skeptical as adaptations tend to go wrong almost every time, they're usually focused on 'what sells' or just taking the names and the heroes 'powers' and making some TV show/movie. It's terribly disappointing for fans and insulting to the creators in my mind.

However, this is a true adaptation. It changes the original story a bit, however it sticks to the base of the story. It holds on to the elements that make Tony Stark, Tony/Iron man. It incorporates his closest friends and uses them as great reinforcements to the character.

This show is extremely well rounded. Great for kids, it helps them fall in love with heroes they wouldn't know otherwise. A 'smart' superhero as well not just a 'cool' hero. Although he is lol. It's well written in all aspects, as a writer/indie film maker I have zero complaints. In my book this is the perfect adaptation, it's acceptable to current fans, a great introduction for the new.

Happy it's on season two and I am praying it continues for season after season as I am so tired of bad television especially bad animations. This one is really great. It deserves it's time slot.

A fantastic show

Author: OleFr-Skj from Norway
30 March 2012

Iron Man is one of my favorite superheroes, and actually my second favorite Marvel hero (after Spider-Man). I was one of those people who didn't really know that much about Iron Man before the live action movie. It was a great movie, and it really got me into Iron Man.

As such, I was hoping for some sort of TV show to maybe roll around in the near future, and what I got was "Iron Man: Armored Adventures".

I was initially a bit skeptical, for the same reason as many others: "a teenage Iron Man?" I said to myself, "weird".

Luckily, I'm never the guy to immediately bias myself against something if it seems out of place.

I decided to check other's opinion on the show, the general response was that this was a great show.

As such, I went on the internet and found a site where I could watch it.

Now, all I have to say is: Wow, just, wow.

It is an absolutely amazing show. It is, in essence, Marvel's answer to "Batman Beyond", right down to the original hero being a rich industrialist with hi-tech gadgets at his disposal to fight crime. That description is fitting for both Iron Man and Batman. Granted, this isn't the future, but present day, and Tony is still Iron Man. But in the general sense, it's the same.

It even goes the same way with the plot. "Batman Beyond", often did Batman stories with a younger cast, the same goes for "Iron Man: Armored Adventures". This isn't a bad thing, it's actually pretty great most of the time.

The show's CGI animation does make the characters seem a bit "robotic" at times in their movements. Of course, that's not really a problem as long as Tony and Rhodey are inside their suits as Iron Man and War Machine, then I'd expect them to move like they do. But outside of their armors, Tony, Rhodey and the rest all just seem a bit stiff.

This is a minor problem, however, and is easily forgivable most of the time.

I liked how, aside from Tony, his friends and the Mandarin being younger, the majority of other Marvel characters appearing in the show stays true to their comic book selves. We have traditional versions of Magneto and Dr. Doom for instance, as well as Hulk and Black Widow among others. I just love seeing teenage Tony interact with them.

Of course, they had to change some things. One being the genius twist of making Obadiah Stane the one charged with running Stark International until Tony turns 18. He uses the company's resources to make weapons in order to make money, and Tony can't just sit back and watch.

Another is how the many inventions originally invented by Tony that became the cause of some of his enemies actually going bad in the first place (The Living Laser comes to mind), are here invented by his father instead. Since Tony's father is gone, Tony has to clean up the mess after him.

The show is great fun to watch, and I enjoy it a lot, a great addition to Marvel's roster.

Big production gaffe -- leads with the weakest segment

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
18 May 2014

Based on the IMDb reviews I was prepared for the opening episode to be weak but frankly I was astonished. The worst animation in the series -- animation that makes you want to stop the DVD and run screaming down the hall -- is the first scene in the episode 1, where a walking man is done so badly you can get vertigo just watching. And the story for that segment is weak also. But -- just like the other reviewers said -- it gets better and the animation actually becomes kinda fun. Good writing, good voice actors, lots of action. Now, this is not the place to comment on Marvel decision to "juvenilize" their asset (as they have done with every other franchise) because that is beyond the ken of this review. But it works. Pretty good.

Part Mobius, Part Manga, Part Kirby

Author: Anthony Castelluci from Orlando, FL
17 July 2013

You have to take this series as an alternative timeline or alternate universe. The story arc is strong. But if you are only able to view Marvel characters as pure cannon, then this may not be for you. But if you are OK, with "What if" scenarios this is cool.

The skinny - You've seen Peter Parker in high school, what would Tony Stark be like in High School?

Like the review title says it has a lot of French design elements in it. The art direction is highly influenced by Jean Gerard Mobius. There are also a lot of Jack Kirby inspired design in this as well as manga influences.

The action is excellent. And the Cell shaded 3D animation is wonderful. The characters are awesome. Again the animation comes into play with bringing them to life. Pepper Potts is particularly hilarious with the way they animate her eyes. Doesn't hurt that the voice actress and script are hilarious at times.

Didn't bother me that they were all in high school. Again, I look at this as alternative universe. It's not mainstream cannon where Tony Stark is 40-something and the CEO of Stark Enterprises.

The only thing I found a little off was how thin looking the MK 1 armor is portrayed. Granted the teen age Tony Stark is skinny little dude. But still, I thought his neck was too small for a super hero. But it wasn't enough to make me drop my rating a whole point.

Love to see Silver Surfer in this style.

One of my favorites

Author: Fluorine Lawrence from United States
13 March 2013

Yes, yes, YES! Now, this show is exactly what I want out of a Marvel cartoon. This series blew me away when it debuted on Nicktoons Network. This series has everything going for it: The plot, the super villains, the action, etc. Let's go ahead and review this marvel of a Marvel animation. The plot. At the beginning of this series, a younger Tony Shark is having the good life and than, all of the sudden, the airplane that Tony and his father was riding blows up and Tony thinks that Stane caused it. He knows the truth eventually and does whatever he can to save Stark International, a company that his father founded. The super villains: AA contains a TON of Marvel (?) super villains like Titanium Man, Whiplash, Mr. Fix, Justin Hammer, Count Nefraria, Stane (Note: Stane and Hammer may not be super-villains), Magnato (one episode) and much more. The action: AA has a ton of action. Almost all episodes have some form of action in it, even if it's not always Iron Man fighting. You know what? Forget that bulky Iron Man you see in films today, this series is basically KING. Tony Shark, in my opinion, is more popular in this than in the films. We really don't know much about Tony Shark in the movies, but in this, there's barely an episode that doesn't have Tony Shark in it. I love this series and no one is going to change my mind. In my mind, it's a Jewel.