IMDb > Dead Rising (2006) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dead Rising

Dead Rising (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Dead Rising... is it your kettle of fish?

Author: weresmurf from Australia
25 September 2006

Dead Rising, from Capcom, the masters of survival horror, is the first true Next Gen game for the xbox 360. Any other game out there, its questionable that they could've been done on a lesser console. This one however, is the first 'must buy' if you want to show off your consoles prowess.

The first time you run into the mall and see two hundred to three hundred zombies shambling around in front of you, your jaw will literally hit the ground... simply because the game does this with ease whilst keeping a truly solid frame rate and an excellent level of graphics.

The concept is shockingly simple. You're a journalist, dropped into a town overrun with zombies, specifically at the mall, you have to survive 3 days. Sounds easy right? Hell no.

Dead Rising is unfortunately going to draw comparisons between two properties. The first is George Romeros zombie movies, and fair enough, it does borrow the concept of the Dawn of the dead movie. The second, the Resident Evil games for some reason.

Let me assure you, the only thing Resident Evil 1 2 3 and 4 have in common with Dead Rising is that there's zombies. But in Dead Rising however, the zombies are much more threatening.

We're not talking modern day running zombies though, we've got the old style swarming zombies. Ever see a zombie movie and wonder 'How the hell did they get eaten? They could've just walked around them!' or something? Get your ass into the maintenance tunnels of Dead Rising, where literally hundreds of zombies pack the halls and you have to wade your way through.

The game play is third person above and behind, the controls are fluid and intuitive, response time from Frank, the journalist, is superb. Capcom have really outdone themselves. The controls are simple, not complicated and every time you get a new skill, it's something to add to your arsenal to turn Camera from Camera toting wimp into Zombie masher extraordinaire.

The weaponry in this game, is incredible. Every sound seems spot on for whatever you're using. You can use things from knives to katanas, pistols to 50. cal machine guns, from chainsaws to fence post hole diggers called Excavators. Each weapon affects the zombies in an individual way for the most part. The Katana will slice zombies in half with whatever angle it hits. It may be from the shoulder to the groin or the head to the leg, it doesn't matter, no hit seems to be exactly the same. The Excavator is just pure gold but I won't spoil that one, it's got to be seen to be fully believed.

Dead Risings only missteps, are minor ones. Well, maybe one major one and the rest are minor. So what are they? 1. People complain about the one save slot. However, Capcom ensure you'll never have to truly start again as any progress in a previous game, if you're killed, can be taken over into a new game. Personally I found a way around only one save slot. I use a memory card and a hard drive in conjunction with each other. This allows me essentially two.

2. No true Free roaming mode. There's a survival mode you can unlock and thats nice, but there doesn't seem to be a true 'free roam' mode as such. Not that that's such a bad thing. The game might get a tiny bit tedious if that was all you'd do...

3. Unforgiving plot. In this game, you have main cases and side cases. Side cases are optional, they're usually rescuing people or defeating psychopaths. Main missions are the ones you must do to progress. Miss one of these and you're done.

4. Time goes by way too fast. An hour goes past in 4 minutes roughly. The game lasts 72 hours, you're looking at between 5 - 6 hours game play. But thats a truly MINOR quibble. The game has that much re-playability it's not funny. If you can get through this, or even half way, in your first few days, I'll buy you a beer :D So to conclude. Dead Rising isn't without its faults. Pobodys Nerfect as they say. It's my cup of tea and then some, but it's not someone elses, but they're not writing this review. My recommendation is this... if you want a showpiece for your 360, a game that you can either stuff around in for hours or play seriously, if you want something that's surprisingly deep for such a shallow concept, check out Dead Rising, you won't be disappointed.

I loved it

Author: Flameshadow from NY
7 January 2007

Actually i thought it was a great game, The story was captivating ,the characters were interesting, and the zombie killing was highly satisfying. Everything you can pick up can be used as a weapon, but somethings are more useful than others (a katana is a better zombie killing implement than a cardboard box).

Sure, the targeting system is a little annoying at first, but it gets easier as you play on.

The only thing that I found to be a problem and made me want to throw my controller was the camera controls. Trying to take pictures of the zombies makes me glad that I can kill them afterward to relieve the frustration.

And frequent saving can alleviate the "Starting over when you die" problem. Y'see when you die (and you will die) you are given two options, you may either "save and exit" which will save Frank's stats and skills, and exit the game (thus making you start the game over from the beginning. OR you can choose the "load last save" option, which will take you back to the last time you saved.

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who loves zombie movies

This is the greatest zombie game... PERIOD!

Author: Infest0125 from United States
2 May 2007

This is definitely a great game. It leaves you with anything as a weapon, and swarms of zombies waiting to have the faces bashed in or sliced in two. The graphics definitely are amazing, and so are the blood effects, and when you kill an enemy, their blood goes all over you and if you walk through blood there are bloody footprints. The game has a ton of twists, lots of places to go, and a lot of bosses and weapon choices. The voice acting is absolutely incredible, yet the AI needs a little work. The game has a surprisingly amazing plot, an amazing soundtrack, and also has very interesting cut scenes, like the one at the end of the game... which i don't want to reveal and spoil the game.

scale of 1-10... 100!

Not a bad game

Author: theluger58 from United States
23 September 2006

Overall this game was rather fun and had a lot of great and memorable moments. Each time you play through it you are very likely to come across a cut scene or new character you haven't seen before. The graphics, music, and voice acting were all top notch and added to the feeling of actually being in a real living environment with real characters, rather than just a couple of areas and people thrown together. Killing the same zombies over and over again, however, does tend to get alittle old after a few times, which leads to the one main gripe of this game...the game saving. Saving can only be done in certain specific areas of the mall with only one slot for saving, which guarantees you will have to start from the beginning at least a few times. On the plus side, you are able to keep the skills and experience you accumulated during the way making it that much easier the next time around. Definitely worth the money.

An enjoyable bloodbath

Author: chaos_wolf_021 from Canada
30 January 2007

When I picked up Dead Rising at the local video game retailer I expected a pure and simple zombie bashing game. As a fan of the zombie genre, that was what I had wanted as well. While the game delivered the buckets of blood and pointless killing that I had craved at the time it also supplied a little more.

There is an actual plot line that involves multiple endings for the player to unlock. Of course the player can ignore the story which constricts them to a strict time track to stay on top of in order to complete each of the missions arrayed. Ignoring the plot line does not detract from the game as it lets the player simply run through the mall killing at will, or having a more noble streak and rescuing survivors.

The mall itself holds plenty of weapons to use, food to regenerate health, and clothes to change into. The graphics are well done, featuring great sound effects (especially the blood splatters), and some great killing moves.

The game also features some small RPG elements which allow your character to upgrade and gain more health, stronger attacks, and some new hand-to-hand attack moves to use against the zombie horde.

The only true gripe I have with the game is with the difficulty one can have with non-zombie enemies, and with the saving system, which requires you to run out of your way in order to find a save point which are scarce and scattered.

The game also only lets one keep one profile, which I believe makes it easier as you really only have one game to worry about, and lets you keep a single character which transfers from game to game so you don't have to start with a wimpy character like you do when you first pick up the game.

Overall I believe Dead Rising was an enjoyable zombie romp for those who enjoy the zombie genre. However if you are completely impatient, loath difficulty, and feel the developers must make a game comfortably around your own little mold that you have in your head, don't pick it up because you will merely get frustrated and annoyed.

The game is lacking making it much more frustrating than fun. There is much to be desired

Author: necronic969 from United States
20 May 2010

I was looking forward to playing this game so when I finally found a used copy at Gamestop I was pretty stoked about finally being able to play it (hardcore zombie fan). However, after playing for a few hours I found the game to be more frustrating than fun for the following reasons:

Controls- The controls in this game are by far the most unnatural controls for me in a while. I'm usually one to catch on to controls pretty quickly but I found it rather annoying to pull out my camera when I was trying to aim my gun. Happened enough to make it annoying. Fighting Carlito took forever because of this or maybe I've simply played too much Bioshock and Fallout. Furthermore, when you're using a lawnmower for example, the movement style is introverted making it hard to control

Story- (SPOILER ALERT) I was able to figure out the entire plot of the game within two hours of playing. Basically when I got that cut scene where I walked into a zombie infested storage room and there was a wasp with glowing red eyes buzzing around that I swatted and killed which also simultaneously resulted with the zombies heads exploding I was basically able to figure out that the government probably created or injected wasps with some sort of virus that turned people into zombies which was intended to be used as a weapon in war but one or several specimens were able to escape and infect the citizens of Fayetteville.

Gameplay- The whole having one file and having to restart each time you start up is annoying as hell. I have no idea how many times I had to go through quests or cut scenes all over again because I ended up dying because I couldn't get to a restroom or couch to save. Also, that walkie talkie thing going off constantly.....hate that. Only real redeeming thing about this game though is the fact you simply can't plow through a horde of zombies with ease and actually have to weave around them at times...also, the whole weapons breaking after a certain point is cool too.

Still though, I am overall disappointed with this....I think I enjoy Left For Dead more (hopefully the sequel is better)

A unique and fun game

Author: bighaben from United States
9 August 2006

The idea is great. Go around kill zombies in massive numbers, and do whatever you want. Sounds like fun? It is, but it could be so much better, and the errors are so glaringly obvious that the game developers could in no way miss them. It makes you wonder, but that's okay it's still a great game.

The problems are numerous, the only thing the game does completely right is with combat and the shear amount of zombies. Everything else is need of fixing. The first problem is the fact that you only get one save file, but that isn't too bad, seeing as you can start the game over and over again with the same file. But the save system is weird at best, and is a tad annoying. Save points are hidden away, and can be hard to find, especially since you'll want to save often, as the game is quite difficult and you can easily find your self playing an hours worth of game play over again. Save often! The main problem with the game is the lack of any originality with missions, their either main missions, called case files, or escort missions, tons of escort missions. But thank god they are skip-able, you don't have to rescue a single person if you don't want to, however if you want to level up fast you may want to check them out. Also the case files must be done before a certain time in the 72 hour period your there, if you miss one it's game over, but you start with all you skills and abilities. The game isn't actually 72 hours, the time is accelerated.

There is also the fact that you have to unlock the mode that I was most looking forward to, complete freedom, you don't get that when you have to do a case file. That annoys me, as sometimes I just want to go around and just have fun. You'll have plenty of time to do it, but you're always worrying about how much time you have left. Also if you decide to do this you miss out on those annoying escort missions.

Weapons are fun and intuitive, they make the sounds they are supposed to make when you hit them, and killing the zombies never seems to wear, although you could theoretically get through the whole game without hitting a single one. The game is hilarious! It's not going to scare you, it's going to make you fun. This is a casual game, I just wish some parts of the game were made to fit the casualness of the rest of game.

The photo part of the game can net you some cool pictures to show to your friends but that's about it. And it feels rather useless. Their are a few other problems that I noticed but nothing major, a few collision problems, and there is a minor amount of repetitiveness. Also the text is freakishly small. But all the problems are out done by how much fun you are going to have. If you are looking for a good fun game, this game is for you, but it will annoy some, make some extremely angry, and give everything others wanted. If the developers are going to make a sequel, they better fix some things, it's the only thing holding it back from greatness.

"i've covered wars, you know"

Author: Declan Kerray from edinburgh
27 May 2014

zombies has always and will always be a strong and overly entertaining Genre in the video game world. games like resident evil showed us the terror of what video games can be along with many others but dead rising just shows you the sheer fun of slicing and dicing zombies.

you play as photojournalist, Frank West who, just like every paparazzi wants pictures, names, details, secrets, lies, truth etc and he will even put himself through a mall full of zombies. yes we all know the first thing that you think of but forget it. Frank West is a pretty funny character but relying on a camera and being a bit of a douche can get annoying at times. other characters you will meet are the DHS agents or psychopaths. the psychopaths are a brilliant aspect for this game because it is possibly one of the things you are going to run into most often. some of the psychos are funny, some are weird and some are just plain creepy.

this is a game that makes you work a little bit because it is like every game made, you will start out as completely nothing but the more survivors you save the more PP you will get and the more your health will go up and your speed, attack, item stock and special moves will upgrade. because you can go to your status screen you know when something is fully upgraded and when it's not so you will want to see what it is like to have all upgrades. from start of this game you only have three life bars which if you are starting from scratch will be almost impossible to beat because by the time you meet the first psychopaths (which is either Carlito, Adam the clown or the convicts)you will only have about four life bars by then and that makes this game really hard but that is what cap com does, they give you a challenge.

but the game is not all slice and dice you can rescue survivors as well as but survivors are all over the mall so you could be miles away from the security room (that you can only access through the air ducts)but escorting these survivors is one of the most annoying things to do in video game history because they are absolutely useless, you need to pretty much baby them. they won't use weapons when necessary they will stop move randomly and they will run into a crowd of zombies even if you have cleared a path for them. but if you do succeed in taking about four survivors back to the security room you will feel pretty good about yourself.

the game play itself is pretty good but it does get really annoying when you can't move while aiming. in a world where pretty much anything can be used as a weapon you can still find the time for other stuff such as changing clothes or doing survivor missions. the game has several endings and the story is broken into case files that have specific time limits. you don't need to do them but if you don't that's when you can try and save survivors because if you try and do it during story mode you need to keep track of time and you won't be able to help them if you are late for a case file but you can save survivors but i wouldn't suggest trying to save survivors on the third day while you are doing the story, because by then Zombies are shoulder to shoulder in the mall.

all and all dead rising is a very fun game, it has loads to look at and loads to find, the game play is a little stale but we forgive that when we get used to it.

A bloody good time

Author: The_Light_Triton (Black_triton14@hotmail.com) from In a Chair in my room
23 January 2014

Capcom is one of the best, if not most popular 3rd party developers of all time. They've developed a lot of popular series and have created some interesting game characters, including the ones from street fighter, and resident evil.

But then comes Dead rising, which puts you in the shoes of a young freelance photographer looking for his big scoop to put his name into history. What he doesn't know is that for 3 days, from September 19th, to the 22nd in the year 2006, He's in for a blood-soaked, fear-inducing, adventure filled with excitement.

Frank West is tipped off about something big happening in Williamette, Colorado, a fictional town of about 50,000 people. He hires a low budget chopper pilot to fly him in so he can snap some pictures of the town. it's not long before the national guard come and chase the chopper away, but not before Frank is able to land on the mall's roof, and get in. He soon discovers that it's not a civil disturbance, but a zombie apocalypse. And for the next 72 hours, it's him, a few survivors, and nearly 50,000 blood-thirsty, flesh-starved zombies.

I got this one very late in the Xbox 360's lifespan, and i'm still not sure why I waited so long to pick this one up. It's a lot of fun and worth whatever you pay for it.

The main idea of Dead rising is to collect as many Prestige points (PP) as you can, while helping 2 particular people discover why the zombies have risen up in the first place. You collect prestige points by using your camera to take photographs of people, zombies, anything that's happening in the disaster zone of Williamette. You also collect points by killing zombies with whatever is at your disposal, including knives, sporting goods, tools, Electronics, and my personal favorite so far, the Chainsaw. You get the biggest PP boost by rescuing survivors and guiding them to the only sanctuary left - The security room.

The best part of the game, is the fact that you have a lot of freedom. for 72 hours, you can do whatever you please. Want to be a zombie-killing machine with whatever is at your disposal? You can. Do you want to rescue survivors? you can. Do you want to take pictures for your big story? do it. And are you sure you want to know why the zombie apocalypse is happening in the first place? stay close to 2 particular people, stay alive, and you might just learn exactly why there is a zombie apocalypse in the first place.

For anyone who hasn't picked up a copy of Dead rising yet, I strongly suggest you do so. The replay value is great.

AMAZING game in every aspect, ESPECIALLY for SIX YEARS AGO!

Author: doggod2010 from United States
24 February 2012

This game is a triumph of all. I'll begin with the graphics. Lets see, um, how do I put this..... AMAZING! For six years ago, this still looks fairly up to date. Detail, textures, all that jazz. There are a few pop-ins though but with such a massive game, that's understandable. The sound is pretty intense at all times, with the grunts, groans, and growls of thousands of infected. Gameplay is a little edgy and not so fluid but it doesn't take anything away from the game. What stunned me was the fact that there were literally THOUSANDS of infected on-screen at any given time, and the vast mall that you can explore, and interact with (my personal favorite, the grocery store). All in all, this is a must buy for free-roaming, zombie loving photojournalists.