Biting and Accurate Social Commentary

Author: dpresley58 from United States
14 April 2007

Hicks was to our generation what Lennie Bruce was to a previous one - insight into the social phenomena of the elephant in the room and why we don't mention it. Some people who prefer lighter, more direct comedic offerings won't enjoy this. For example, if a lineup of comics making their entry on-stage with "Yo, we in de house" is more to your liking, don't bother with this title. But if you don't mind looking at yourself and those around you open to other views, you owe it to yourself to get acquainted with Bill Hicks. Because of the time it was filmed, there are references which will make it seem dated, but the underlying themes are as fresh today as they were when it was released.

Still missed 16 years Later

Author: burgh55 from United States
4 April 2010

I was pretty young when Bill died (26 Feb 1994), well 15-ish, so much of his act didn't really register with me, mostly because of not being out in the world to experience, and witness much of the back ass-ward society he ranted about.

Actually, I owe thanks to Maynard James Keenan, Adam Jones and the rest of the band, Tool for introducing me, and many others to Bill Hicks with the dedication of the album Aenima to Bill in 1996. As the intro to the song "Third Eye" Tool used a section of one of Bills performances, and the chorus to Aenima refers to Bills Arizona Bay sketch, where LA is returned to the ocean from which it came.

Looking back now, watching, and listening to anything I can get my hands on that had to do with Bill, it all makes sense now. I really would like to know what Bills thoughts on where we are today would be. I'd bet instead of cancer killing him in '94, society, Bush 2, and the general thoughtlessness by everyone would have caused a heart attack, or aneurysm, to be his demise.

So here's to you Bill (and Sam Kennison) and the awakening of the masses....