IMDb > Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Page 3 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Monster-mash SPARTACUS!

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
9 February 2009

UNDERWORLD : RISE OF THE LYCANS (2009) **1/2 Michael Sheen, Rhona Mitra, Bill Nighy, Steven Mackintosh, David Grevious, David Ashton. Fair to middling prequel to the vastly popular monster-mash franchise with Sheen as a lycan Spartacus if you will, whose people are enslaved by Nighy's vampire empire is further complicated when he falls in love with the king's princess daughter (sultry Mitra who makes a formidable presence in her feistiness), causing a war between creatures of the night. Directed by Patrick Tatopoulos – who worked as the previous film's special effects chief - does yeoman work with some decent visuals and transformation sequences with the furry beasties yet ultimately it wears out its grisly welcome by the climactic battle royale.

Actually this is pretty good

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
22 February 2009

How the blood feud between the werewolves and the vampires seen in the first films started. Despite a lack of passion by the films director this is a well made and very well acted prequel to the earlier two Underworld films. Not a fan of the first film, I liked the second even though I had little idea what was going on. Here the plot is easy to follow and in some ways this is very good film, but someone behind the scenes didn't care so you're never completely drawn in, simply put there is a lack of passion in how the film proceeds. I can't blame the script which moves along at a good clip, nor can I blame the cast which includes Bill Nighy and Michael Sheen since they sell the material in more ways then it deserves. The film ultimately is a good little film, worth the effort to see, especially if you're a fan of the first two films.

there was no need for this prequel, i would rather a new story

Author: isjohan79 from Mexico
12 February 2009

well i just watched this movie, i'm a fan of the series, if you saw the first movie with attention, you will find that the whole thing of this prequel is there, the purpose of this movie was only, (i guess), to make some time to find a good script for the 4th part and to revive Victor and Lucian again because they found those characters were too strong and charismatic to let them die that easy ,

i dint like the vampires role here, they are so weak that they need to wear armors, the action is not impressive and you will only find lots of cut throats zooms, the story goes nowhere, all the movie happens at a pity castle , there are only one or two dramatic moments of Lucian and Sonya, and Victor is a great vampire, you will find he is the only vampire in this movie!

despite all , i liked, i hope this franchise continues, and i enjoy when the studios at at least "tries" to make serious fantasy movies!

Roaring for more

Author: echopro from United States
24 January 2009

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, kept close to the storyline and the fan base but I felt it missed that special something. It leaves me to wonder if Len Wiseman was present during the film making or just trusted Patrick Tatopoulos and left him to his own devices.

During the movie I found myself looking for shots and moments that would make me get excited and tense my muscles but my thirst for them was never quenched. I find this issue common among people who have transitioned from other backgrounds in the film industry to directing. When you make a sequel or prequel, people go to watch the film for what they liked in the previous films. I don't feel this was the case in this Underworld installment.

Raze is an important character. People love him from the first Underworld. We want to see him "Wolf out" for the first time as a discovery of his newfound power and freedom similar to how we got to personally discover how Scott Speedman wolfed out in the previous two movies. Unfortunately Raze "Turned" for the first time while running down a corridor partly blocked by columns. People love to see the transformations; I know Patrick talked about this in the previous Underworld commentaries. What happened? I hope the creative team decides to make a spin off movie starring Raze forming a band of werewolves and going on missions rising up to the battle between Kraven and Lucian.

Bad script, bad ideas and OK action.

Author: Jose Guilherme from Brazil
21 April 2009

First I must say that I enjoyed the first Underworld movie. I was intrigued and curious to learn about Vampires and Lycans and so forth. In this last part (hopefully) of the series I just feel sorry for how pathetic the vampires are. At least in the first part you had the tight leather clothes... now vampires seem like besieged victims of bad pest control problem. They look and act like haughty white pasty humans.

Some ideas were neat... the whole thing with human nobles was interesting. Pity the acting was abysmal. The slave thingy too was feasible.

Other things just hit me as pathetic. Spoilers now. Castle walls that can be jumped over in a few steps ? Enemies that don't attack during the day ? Big bad ancient vampires that take ages to join combat and then run away from a fledgling lycan leader after a minute or so ? Werewolves that den close to their enemies ? Lycans that raid armouries... for what ? They don't use axes and swords or armor ! A vampire leader so inept he manages to have just about everyone against him ? The romance is so unconvincing its sad.

So I don't recommend this film unless you get it online or buy a very cheap movie ticket. Some of the action is good to OK. Certainly the vampires armor and weapons are interesting. Otherwise a very weak script that was badly put together and uses all sorts of inane plot twists.

punchy, bloody, fantasy world action !!

Author: Ben Hattrell from Worcester
22 March 2017

Having been a big fan of recent made up world films with epic landscapes such as the hobbit and Lord of the rings I felt I had been spoilt to the point of no return and no film could meet them.

Rise of the lycans for me is a great film. It builds the story quickly and gives you something to gradually sink your teeth into. To that end, it is not an easy watch as such but encourages enough thinking to keep you engaged and entertained. The action keeps you involved and the romance is limited but apparent. This element could have been further enhanced through acting as I feel the empathy element was slightly lacking.

Except for this, the effects and action all seen realistic and the creatures appear very well considered and constructed. The backstory is great and since I had not seen any previous underworld it is very accessible as a series episode. The film makes me want to read about the background a little and almost makes me feel guilty for not doing so before.

In summary the film is a well acted, thoroughly punchy action film with a good plot, story-line and effects. It will keep you entertained for the evening regardless of prior knowledge of the backstory or underworld series.

Whilst it was not a horror film like I expected it gets my thumbs up.

One Heck of a Ride for a First-Timer

Author: ScourgetheDarkClaw from United States
3 February 2017

This film was my first foray into the Underworld film franchise. I'd known about it for a long time, and I always wanted to get into it. However, it wasn't until last year (2016) that I really decided I wanted to give the series a go. I knew of how the critics weren't major fans and stuff like that, but I knew the films had a major fanbase. Now, believe it or not, the film that got me into this series was I, Frankenstein, the film based on the graphic novel by Kevin Grievoux, who stars as Raze in this film. Unlike many, I quite enjoyed I, Frankenstein, and I decided to try and obtain the Underworld films through my library. Knowing this one was a prequel, I began here, and boy was I not disappointed one bit. Everything, from the action scenes (especially during the big battle between the Vampires and Lycans) to the acting (mostly the performances by Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy, Kevin Grievoux, and Rhona Mitra), were great. There were some flaws, including a few of the special effects, but I'd rather not nitpick. I LOVED this film, and I can't wait to watch the rest of the films.

Excellent 3rd Installment

Author: Rainey Dawn from United States
15 October 2014

I love this third film just as much as the first two: it's basically the back-story that leads up to the first film. "The Rise of the Lycans" explains in great detail how the great war between lycans and vampires began as well the stories behind the main characters of the Underworld films.

Just like the first two Underworld films, the third part is full of action, a good story and super acting. The dark Gothic sets, props and costumes are gorgeous! Fans of the first two films are sure to enjoy this third installment.

prequel

Author: kai ringler from United States
2 January 2014

when I first found out that this was gonna be a prequel,, I didn't quite get how they were gonna do this,, but after watching the film,, I 'm glad that the producers, writers, and director did it the way that they did,, all in all superb acting from the cast.. great direction,, solid camera work,, great special effects,, had lot's of good battle scenes,, especially at the end,,, I like the idea of the story that explains how the Lycans got to rise to their power,, because at first they were the slaves. I'm a big fan of the 1st two movies,, and this one didn't disappoint,, cept save for the abscene of it's star Kate Beckinsale,, but otherwise a pretty decent movie.

Brave Third One

Author: nutolm from Norway
18 July 2012

Number three in the line of the Underworld movies is another actionpacked one. It seems like a sleek romantic story initially, but the first thing that strikes me are the colours and the gloomy tones that creates an excellent atmosphere in the dark frames of the story - a great effect emphasising the night set scenes. The movie is told in a quite captivating manner, and this being director Patrick Totopoulos' first film, he has done it very well.

The level of the entertainment is just great, the elements of action, horror and romance are smoothly spread throughout the structure as in the first two Underworld movies. Bill Nighy is unbelievable creepy as Viktor throughout the entire film, the evil is practical gleaming from his face. But Michael Sheen as Lucian is the star of the movie, he made a tremendous character - beast as well showing his "human" side. I did miss seeing Kate Beckinsale/Selene, but Rhona Mitra as Sonja is absolutely not a bad substitute in this fantastic sci-fi horror adventure.

Very good entertainment, action with a persistent pace, and most of all, the terrific visual effects. The highlights were frequent, so I enjoyed it very much!