IMDb > Definitely, Maybe (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Definitely, Maybe

Definitely, Maybe More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 17: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A Surprisingly Unpredictable Romantic Comedy,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
18 June 2016

Definitely Maybe is a good movie with a well developed plot and a great comedic cast. It's an enjoyable, original romantic comedy that, despite its premise, is actually not predictable, it is genuinely intriguing for us as an audience to find out who ends up being Maya's mother. Ryan Reynold's brings in excellent charm in the lead role and seems to have instant chemistry with the all the main actresses, particularly Isla Fisher and Rachel Weisz. The plot can be a bit convoluted at times and had several plot points that felt unnecessary, such as making Bill Clinton's run as president a major part of the story, it took me away from this movie when they began speaking about real events. I would love to have seen more of Hampton, Kevin Kline's brief portrayal of the character was funny and natural, I think he really could have added another layer to the film if he had a bigger role. It certainly has its flaws, but Definitely Maybe is a sweet, different romantic comedy and if that's what you are looking for, that's exactly what you will get.

A man tells his daughter about the series pf events leading up to her birth.

Best Performance: Kevin Kline

Narcissism Paraded as Love

Author: Je re from United Kingdom
8 November 2015

I enjoyed this movie but the explanation for why he kept the book at the end was totally lame. The only thing he had left of her... well, she's still living... she's still his friend... he can ring. He wouldn't have like a Christmas card she signed just for him? She would never have given him a present over all the years - despite arranging this big birthday party for him with everyone at it.

This is the thing she's searching for for years. She's still searching for it while he's holding on to it. This is narcissism not love. This is an insensitive character who doesn't pick up on obvious signals - cause he's all about himself. He's even obnoxious when she tells him to get his act together - to help him.

This movie is the kind of "love" that wants someone around cause they do it for you. And even then, they weren't at the top of the list. The caring for someone else's needs bit of a relationship isn't demonstrated on the male side.

The searching for the book idea is interesting, but it collapses the whole movie at the end.

A romance featuring some ultra-crappy parenting and a child who is just too precocious to be real.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
19 June 2015

The set-up for this film is that a father is divorcing and his daughter, Maya, is asking him about how he met her mother. The guy then talks about a variety of women he dated and slept with as the child makes occasional commentary to interrupt the story. Some of her clever and charming remarks are calling one lady a B$%&@ and later, her father a slut. Later, when you learn which one of them is her mother, she announces that she 'just learned all about sexual intercourse in school'. Later, the child gives her now to be divorced father dating advice. Charming....NOT!

I did not like this film, though the acting was very, very nice. As a retired psychotherapist, I thought that the boundaries between the child (who seemed way too old for her years) and her father were blurred. The adult here was not him, that's for sure. Additionally, there are a lot of political elements in the film (because he's a political operative)--not a bad thing in a drama, but not exactly something I want to see in a romantic film. Nothing destroys romance like politics!!

Overall, I'd say 'nice try but no cigar'. This is a film that too flawed to be worth rushing out to see. It's strange father-daughter situation aside, the story just seemed way too with-it and hip in its parenting style for my tastes. To me, romance should be romantic...and this really wasn't. Additionally, the child seemed like a child as written by someone who's never even seen a child or talked with one!

The DVD for "Definitely, Maybe" starts off very badly--and this might only be with the Netflix version. It forces you to watch a LONG preview for "Mama Mia!"--whether you want to or not. I dunno about you, but this definitely makes me MUCH more inclined NEVER to watch a film they force you to preview...never.

Definitely entertaining

Author: dareent-amethyst
5 October 2014

Definitely my kind of chick flick. Definitely, maybe is probably one of the best movies to keep you company on rainy days and lonely nights. This romantic comedy keeps you intrigued and guessing from the very first second. The way the plot was delivered is beautiful! I liked the story line, i loved the characters although i hate Emily haha, i loved almost every single thing about this movie. It's funny and cute and romantic. There is one thing i don't love though, and it is the opening plot. I found the plot where the obviously not old enough kids were taught about sex inappropriate. Especially because Maya keeps saying penis and vagina and sex. I don't find it funny and i doubt it would make any difference if the entire introductory scene had been cut out from the movie.

Definitely, maybe tells the story of how a man who's in the middle of a divorce and whose romantic relationships have always been a mess, figured out who his true love is while telling his daughter the story of how he met his going to be ex wife. I highly recommend this movie!

A Pleasant Surprise!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
16 July 2013

Definitely, Maybe surprised me on how a great film it is despite being labeled as a romantic comedy. All these rom coms made nowadays are not fresh, but this one is. I also liked how the plot not took place over a few weeks or months, but over a course of almost twenty years. We really got to see how the personalities of each character changed over the years.

Adam Brooks film is about a political consultant who works in New York City during the Bill Clinton campaign and how he goes through all these relationships which don't work our for him. Flash forward to 2008, he tells his daughter his account of these relationships and there he may find a second chance.

The acting is pretty good. I really like Ryan Reynolds. He is a charming fellow and I liked the way he spoke with his daughter. Abigail Breslin is a delight to watch as she gets older and delves into more mature roles. Kevin Kline was excellent and quite funny. Isla Fisher and Rachel Weisz were great supplements for Reynolds.

Overall, this is an above-average romantic comedy that is fresh, sweet, and emotionally-charged. Yes, it has some politics involved but I wish people would talk about the film instead of the boring liberal vs. conservative nonsense. This is also a great film to watch with your significant other. I rate this film 9/10.

Definitely, Maybe

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
18 June 2011

I recognised the title as being in the particular genre, I didn't know anything about the plot or story, but even though the critics gave it a low rating I was willing to give it a chance. Basically in New York City, ten year old Maya Hayes (Little Miss Sunshine's Abigail Breslin) and all her fellow school student classmates attended their first sex education class, and the little girl is now fascinated to know about her parents. Her father Will (Ryan Reynolds) is in the process of getting a divorce, and Maya is insisting on hearing the story of how he met her birth mother, and he decides to change a few of the names so he doesn't reveal too much of the truth. In flashback, we see that Will found himself falling for three women, and he is telling the story in a way that his daughter can guess which one he would most fall in love with and of course give birth. So in flashback he moved from Madison, Wisconsin to New York, and the three women who could potentially be Maya's mother are his college sweetheart "Emily" (Elizabeth Banks), her New York based friend "Summer Hartley" (Rachel Weisz), and the New York campaign office copy girl "April" (Isla Fisher). Throughout the film he obviously has the usual past struggles with work and a family matter or two, but of course he bumps into these three women time and time again, so you are unsure which one will be Maya's mother. After the story has ended, the final and happy conclusion for Maya is that April is his birth mother, and also the only character in the story not to have their name changed. She realises her father Will still loves April, so the end of the film sees them go to her house and try to win her back, Maya almost acting as bait, and it does work, but the real happy ending Will said was Maya herself. Also starring Kevin Kline as Hampton Roth, Derek Luke as Russell T. McCormack, Alexie Gilmore as Olivia and Annie Parisse as Anne. Reynolds is okay, out of the three female characters that could potentially be a mother I personally was hoping it would be Weisz, and Breslin is reasonably cute but a little annoying. This is meant to have moments to make you laugh, I didn't find myself doing that almost all the way through, I found this dull and boring, a silly romantic comedy. Adequate!

Definitely maybe a good movie. We liked it.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
31 July 2008

If you look at the movies Ryan Reynolds has been in he seems to specialize in fluff, silly roles. Perhaps not too different from how Tom Hanks started, on TV in "Bosom Buddies." But here Reynolds has to carry the movie in a comedic dramatic role and does it well.

He is Will Hayes with a young daughter (Abigail Breslin as Maya) that he gets to pick up twice a week after school and take her home, in New York. He is going through a divorce, and Maya doesn't understand why. She implores dad to tell her his story, perhaps in the hopes that he will recall why he fell in love with her mom and maybe cancel the divorce. So, much of the movie is told in flashback as dad is telling her the story at bedtime.

The earliest part of this story starts in Wisconsin where Will grew up. He wanted to do something more significant so moved to New York to work in the 1992 Bill Clinton election drive. In doing so he had to tell goodbye to his girl, Elizabeth Banks as Emily, vowing he wouldn't change. But he did, as he was exposed to new people and new ideas.

One of those he met was Rachel Weisz as Summer Hartley, a graduate student who was having an affair with her professor, famous author Kevin Kline as Hampton Roth. After she and Roth went their separate ways, Will and Summer became a number.

But the girl he really seemed to fall for was Isla Fisher as April Hoffman. April was working in the Clinton campaign office, but as a copier girl. However it soon became apparent that she was a very bright, no-nonsense type of girl. As the story progressed over the 16 years from 1992 to 2008, Will and April had several different opportunities to seal a relationship but never seemed to be able to.

A running theme in the story is April's buying quite a number of used copies of "Jane Eyre." We find that her dad had given her a 1943 copy, with his personal note to her but that book became lost. So eventually Will, unknown to her, began to search for it also.

Even though it is a romantic comedy of sorts, it is also a serious movie about life, growing up, changing, and relationships. It does not unfold in a predictable manner and that is partly why it is a good movie, a bit different from all the rest.

While watching it I was reminded of "Notting Hill", another movie I re-watch and enjoy periodically. Even though the stories are quite different, I would think fans of "Notting Hill" would in general also like "Definitely, Maybe."

SPOILERS: Will eventually does find the very book that April's dad had given her before he died, and he went to give it to her but wasn't home, and he ended up keeping it for several years, because "it was the only thing he had of her." In present time, the last time they met, he did give her the book, and she was upset that he kept it for so long. But in the end, when Will and Maya show up at her apartment, she relents and we see that April and Will finally recognize their love for each other.

the most mature, sophisticated comedic screenplay I have ever seen

Author: cleuchtag from United States
22 October 2008

If you love shallow, cutsie, romantic comedies, you won't like this one. I was pleasantly surprised by this romantic comedy that was absolutely impossible to predict. The acting is outstanding (especially the lead), and the dialog is absolutely brilliant. This is the most mature, sophisticated screenplay in a comedy I have ever seen. Deep, realistic, emotional, witty, fresh, creative, never cliché, .... I cannot say enough good things about this movie! This movie is not for kids because of the realistic portrayal of mature subject matter (sex, drugs, drinking, smoking, cursing, etc.) However, this movie does NOT preach the usual abhorrent Hollywood values, but instead had a positive and redemptive message IMO.

Definitely watch

Author: Hamish Kearvell from Australia
17 October 2008

Usually leaning towards the weird and obscure world of art-house and thought-provoking film, romantic comedies are often wasted on me. But, when watching any film, I went into Definitely, Maybe with an open mind and, as a result, was rewarded with a charming, deep and complicated look on love. While the events that interweave with these relationships may seem a bit far-fetched, It's the portrayal of the love within these relationships that is so realistic. This mixed with genuine amounts of humor separates Definitely, Maybe from the rest of the films in this genre that are usually so generic.

Set in present time, father Will Hayes (Ryan Reynolds) tells the story of the three women he loved in his life to his daughter, Maya Hayes (Abigail Breslin), while she tries to uncover which one of them is her mum. The rest of the film plays out in a 90's reminiscence narrated by Will, a certain theme that is quickly becoming common use in film. The portrayal of the 90's is reasonably accurate, although some anachronisms, like the fashion, still remain. But beside this, the authenticity and the feel of the 90's is definitely there.

Most importantly though, what makes Definitely, Maybe the fresh breath of air in the romantic comedy genre is its characters. Ryan Reynolds is excellent as Will, supplying a funny, but so very real role. Along side him is Isla Fisher as one of his three lovers, April, who is absolutely gorgeous and a joy to watch. Abigail was quite charming in Little Miss Sunshine, but I feel over her cutesy factor now and her acting proved awkward in places in Definitely, Maybe. The script is also one of the best I've ever seen for this certain genre.

All these positive factors provide a very fresh and funny film in the romantic comedy genre that even those not familiar, or inclined, to it will find much enjoyment.

Hamish Kearvell A.K.A Screaming Japan Productions - www.myspace.com/screamingjapanproductions

Enjoyable, but predictable and disappointing

Author: Happy_Evil_Dude from Paris, France
15 July 2008

I was looking forward to this movie. The trailer was promising, the cast was solid (with Rachel Weisz being one of my favorite actresses) and this seemed like it could be a very enjoyable romantic comedy. Unfortunately it ended up being just an average romantic comedy. I know, I gave the movie a 7/10. But that's my "enjoyable, well-made but not really much special" grade. This is a by-the-numbers romantic flick, 100% cliché and 100% predictable. Those who love love love romantic comedies will probably really enjoy it, and those who hate them will despise this. As for the others, who can appreciate a film regardless of its genre, this will probably appear as a lackluster effort, watchable and competent but lacking the charm and sweetness it takes to elevate films of this genre. The performances are generally good with the notable exception of America's new favorite Abigail Breslin. She's as annoying here as she was endearing in 2007's No Reservations. All-in-all, while this isn't a must-see it isn't a must-skip either. Don't be afraid to watch it, but don't expect much out of it as this is unfortunately one of the poorer romantic comedies made in 2008 so far, with What Happens In Vegas, Forgetting Sarah Marshall and especially 27 Dresses all being much superior in terms of enjoyability and making you all warm and happy at the end.