IMDb > Definitely, Maybe (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Definitely, Maybe

Definitely, Maybe More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Its like a book you can't put down

Author: boazchristian from United States
28 July 2008

This is a very smart, intelligent piece. Just watch the first ten minutes and see if you can stop and turn it off. You can't and won't. As the late Joel Siegel would have said, it is superb story telling.It has a unique vantage point in that the love story is told from the mind's prism of a small girl caught up in her parents break up. None of the characters are forgettable, even the ones with smaller roles add to the mosaic of this depiction of American life. This is a full breadth New York story that comes close in its storytellingto the real romantic lives of the many Americans transplanted there, with all their sadness, tragedy and hope, having another American biggie, politics as a backdrop. It is a powerful depiction of those two common American maladies known as 'the break up' and its follow up 'the heart break' and the search for the illusive thing we call love. A great American romance movie, satisfying, I am sure, even to those automatons among us who, forced to watch it, with our better halves, will end up rusting from tears. It's already a classic.

Modern style romantic movie

Author: from Japan
24 February 2008

I absolutely loved this movie. It was the typical love romantic movie and it got me really thinking about the relationships between modern day couples.

I guess that movie like this will depend on whether you see the romantic in it or not. As for some of you who's just typical and are willing to criticize about movies, this is not for you.

Yes this is about Will Hayes(Ryan Reynolds) who tells her little daughter the story of his love life. Of course some people will disagree with a father telling his daughter the love story which may contain sexual material. however i liked the plot line how i had to wait till the end to know who he was really in love with, and who his divorced wife was.

i rate it 10/10

Definitely, Not

Author: catelijne from Netherlands
27 August 2008

This movie is way overrated. My expectations of this movie where high. I work in a dvdshop, and I was really waiting for this movie to come out.. So when I finally got to see it, I was disappointed.. very disappointed.. Just a father who's telling his daughter, with who he dated, and how all of his relations ended.. And in the ending, he finds an ex, who he always loved, and they never forgot each other.. So happy end..

No, I didn't liked this movie, I didn't hate it either.. Just left me with an unsatisfying feeling.. I don't know..

All I know, would I watch this movie again.. Definitely, Not...

Definitely a winner, there is no maybe about it, but do not expect a laughfest, as some tears may arrive on your face

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
1 March 2008

Will Hayes (Ryan Reynolds) is on the verge of divorce. The papers arrive at his advertising office, where he has just been lauded for a winning sales pitch. Thus, it is a bittersweet moment. What really matters to Will is his much-cherished daughter, Maya (Abigail Breslin) and the portions of the week that he is now alloted to spend with her. As it is his day to pick her up at school and keep her overnight, Will enters the school building to find it in chaos. His daughter's class has just had a sex education lesson and everyone is in an uproar, shouting out anatomical bits of vocabulary and wondering if their parents "do it." As he takes Maya home, the conversation turns more to love than love-making and Will decides to tell Abigail the story of how he met her mother. But, since the tale involves a couple of past girlfriends, too, it becomes what Maya calls a love-story mystery. It seems Will worked on a political campaign in New York City, leaving one girlfriend, Emily (Elizabeth Banks) behind in Wisconsin, though they swore allegiance to each other. From there, he met a free-spirited campaign worker, April (Isla Fisher) and a political writer named Summer (Rachel Weisz). So, which one became Maya's mother, after years of love, laughter, and tears? This is a very nice film, full of romance, humor, relevance, and reality. The path to true love is sometimes quite rocky, as it is here, and it is possible to have more than one "great" amour in a lifetime. Reynolds, a first-rate comedian (see the delightful Just Friends), proves here that he is capable in handling dramatic material, too, and charming Breslin continues to show why she is one of the most lauded child stars ever. Banks, although quite pretty, doesn't stick out in a crowded field of women, but Weisz is very attractive and distinctive in her role as the writer while Fisher shines brightly as one of life's funny, vagabond princesses with a huge heart. The rest of the cast, including the fine Derek Luke, is well chosen. In my view, too, you will love the costumes, the scenery in and around Manhattan, and the polished look of the film, as well as the winning script and direction. All in all, this is a definite winner, not a maybe hit. Therefore, take appropriate action and get thyself to a theater soon. Oh, and watch out for the very creative opening credits, where the use of revolving montages and lettering, all done to Sly and the Family's Stone's Everday People, is most impressive.

A divorced parent's fantasy

Author: shralper@hotmail.com from Texas
25 August 2008

I saw this story as some sort of divorced parent's fantasy. If you could just sit your 9 year old daughter down for a couple hours and explain how "complicated" adult life and relationships are, surely she would understand why you and mommy divorced. This includes telling your daughter about sleeping with other women, boozing, smoking, etc. Of course, your child would suddenly understand and accept that daddy wants to put his penis in another woman other than mommy (note the first 10 minutes of the movie the little girl talks continuously about how a man "thrusts his penis into a woman's vagina", as she has just learned sex ed at school and can't stop talking about it. Funny? Not really). Not only would your daughter understand you, but she would INSIST that you hook back up with that hottie from your younger days and drag you to her house (instead of dreaming that you get back together with mommy so your family is intact).

Yeah, right, dream on. Keep telling yourself that's what your daughter would do. And oh yeah, your little girl also won't have any problems hearing that her mom had a lesbian relationship with another one of your lays from your younger days, and slept with your roommate to boot. Naw...it's all good. She'll understand.

Seriously, pass on this one. It's also heavily pro-Democrat, as the lead character spends the 90's working for Bill Clinton. At least at the end, even this shallow, self-absorbed character is disgusted at Slick Willie's inability to tell the truth, even though his loser friends about brag about how they would vote for him again in a heatbeat.

And that's the ONLY reason I'm rating it a 2. It's the only redeeming message in this mess.

Romantically Chick flick

Author: Sanjhbati M from India
3 August 2014

Definitely, Maybe is a 2008 romantic comedy film directed by Adam Brooks, and starring Ryan Reynolds, Isla Fisher, Rachel Weisz, Elizabeth Banks, Abigail Breslin and Kevin Kline. IMDb gives it 7.2. According to Rotten Tomato it scored 72% A love triangle. Its about a good boy haunting for love. A political consultant tries to explain his impending divorce and past relationships to his 11- year-old daughter. And see what happen next. Ten-year-old Maya (Abigail Breslin) is heartbroken to see her parents splitting up, but she's determined to find out precisely how it was that mom and dad came together in the first place. When Maya starts questioning her father Will (Ryan Reynolds) about his life before marriage, dad's memories soon drift back to the time when, as a naïve Wisconsin native and aspiring politician hoping to work on the presidential election, he first arrived in New York City. As Will gradually became savvy to the ways of the big city, he gradually developed romantic relationships with three very different women: Emily (Elizabeth Banks) was the girl-next-door that he could always depend on, apolitical April (Isla Fisher) was the best friend and confidante who was always there to listen, and free-spirited journalist Summer (Rachel Weisz) was both beautiful and ambitious. In order to prevent his perceptive little girl from predicting the outcome before his story is told, Will carefully changes the names of his three romantic interests, creating a hopelessly romantic puzzle that highlights both the joys and hardships of true love. Dun forget to watch out Abigail Kathleen Breslin's acting (an American actress. She is one of the youngest actresses ever to be nominated for an Academy Award )

Different kind of rom-com

Author: SnoopyStyle
28 November 2013

Will Hayes (Ryan Reynolds) is an ad exec about to get divorced. After a particularly in depth discussion about sex in her school, he is harassed by his daughter Maya (Abigail Breslin) to talk about her mother. He finally relents but explains he's going to change the names and some of the facts. It becomes a story of "How He Met Her Mother" as he recounts past girlfriends Emily (Elizabeth Banks), April (Isla Fisher), and Summer (Rachel Weisz).

It's a different kind of rom-com. There's the question of who the eventual girl in the equation is. The thing is all 3 ladies are absolutely charming actresses. So there isn't a bad choice in the bunch. It's more a cute device to keep interest in the story. Adam Brooks has written an unique rom-com. It also helps to have the charming Ryan Reynolds with the ever cute Abigail Breslin.

Life is a complicated thing

Author: tearless101 from Pakistan
28 November 2013

First of all the title Definitely maybe is very attractive title it draws the attention towards the movie.. The movie is basically explains the relationships in modern societies.. Will Hayes(Ryan Reynolds) tries to explain his relationship history to his 11 years old daughter.. the way Maya Hayes questions her father is beautiful.. the story line is quiet strong.. Firstly the father finds it vary hard to tell his daughter about his three girlfriend but then he also finds it interesting and tells his life story in dramatic way.. The movie also holds a great aspect of life which is family that children finds it very difficult to live without family..I personally like the movie it has a good flow one will never get bored and you just can not stop watching it.. the way Will Hayes(Ryan Reynolds)explains his relationships is amazing.. I recommend every one to watch the movie, it has a beautiful storyline. i admit its not one of the bests but worth to watch..

Very good movie, Watch with girlfriend / newlywed wife...

Author: kaplan-dani from Israel
15 September 2013

Coming 3 years after first season of HIMYM (How I've met your mother) this is the film version. More romance than a comedy, this is a movie for anyone who loves romance, New your and "semi" sophisticated movies. The plot go over years with nice historical touch and people aged 30-50 would love to recognize events in recent US history.

I love the cast, all players are great, script is very well written, and it's a good movie back to front.

This movie brings the right amount of everything to the table and it's a one that you won't regret watching. it's not epic, it's not one of my top 100, but it's a good entertainment for an evening.

too good for a ROM com

Author: gopikrishnan92 from India
4 August 2013

Well, Rom com is my favorite genre. Just because of the facts that these films are projections of our own lives. And here I am watching this movie. This is so awesome. too good for a ROM com. The protagonist tells the story of his life to his young daughter who seems to be excited about hearing of relationships and stuff like that.

Although, the narration slows at times and things get a little draggy. But its OK.

The climax is just great and a really great happy ending. and thats my favorite part of a ROM com.Well. That's it. Its a good movie. Go watch it if you love stories of complex relationships.