Saving Grace (TV Series 2007–2010) Poster

(2007–2010)

Wonderfully Real
Nailah Jordan8 June 2008
I first started watching "Saving Grace" because of Holly Hunter. She is one of my favorite actors, and I don't miss anything she's in.

The show caught me off guard with the rawness of the characters. I know nothing of Oklahoma, so I didn't notice the stereotypes. I appreciated the honesty of the characters. Flawed relationships, unhealthy relationships, work partners turning into bed partners. I think it happens more in law enforcement and medical facilities than most places. Watching the team interact is pretty much on point. I like that.

I also like seeing women over forty acting in a good series. I don't have to watch the twenty-somethings strut around reciting lines as if they were still first year drama students. Lorraine Toussaint and Lauren San Giacomo are wonderful in their supporting roles. I get to see three women who's work I admire and respect.

The subtle religious message is presented in a way that is inoffensive but definitely present. I find Earl to be like John Travolta's Michael, but not nearly as annoying. He's a flawed angel, but not in a way that makes you ask, "How can HE be an angle?!" All I can say is thank whatever deity is listening for giving Ms. Hunter the courage to push forward with this project, and the viewers who gave it a chance.
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
TNT has a winner, here
sfbearcop24 July 2007
It's obvious Ms. Hunter wanted to do this role. She's listed as one of the producers, so she either moved things forward or she's saving the production some money by taking some of her salary as back-end. I can certainly understand her desire to play Grace. Few women these days get to play tough, problem ridden cops who are struggling for some form of redemption. I guess if no one wants to write material like this for the big screen, we'll be seeing more high-value actresses on the small screen. Ms. Hunter follows Kyra Sedgwick in her series, and Glenn Close in her role on the Shield and in her new series.

Many reviews have had problems with the religion in the series opener. I don't and I'm anything but a church-goer. I found that the angel, splendidly played by Leon Rippy, whom I enjoyed in Deadwood, isn't everyone's idea of an angel, but I guess angels and gods can appear in any guise that suits their purpose and I'm sure that the tobacco-chewing Earl is more appropriate for the purpose of saving Grace Hanadarko -- whose name in almost the name of a town in Caddo County, Oklahoma; her's just has an added "H".

Since I'm watching "The Closer before it, I'm all set to keep watching "Saving Grace" for the long haul.
46 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An excellent, original show - a wild ride!
elizabuff7217 September 2007
What a cast! Holly Hunter, Leon Rippy, Laura San Giacomo, Lorraine Roussaint, etc.! Each show gets successively better as the writing gets tighter. No dumbing down here which is much appreciated. I hope this show goes on forever - seriously! Every episode is a an enexpected treat. You may not want to face some of the rougher issues the show raises about life, conscience, fear, God, and human nature. It's made me think about may past incidents in my personal life and how I chose to deal with them or chose not to. The writing is snappy and funny at times and at other times very touching. The chemistry between the cast members is palpable and every single character is original and interesting. What a true joy to know as a viewer I'm being asked to think and consider what I'm watching and make up my own mind rather than be spoon fed someone else's definition of good and evil. This is the only show I make sure I never miss!
30 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smart, funny, feeling and real
michealhise24 October 2008
There's been a lot of talk that this show is vulgar, that Holly Hunter's character is repulsive and doesn't deserve saving. Through her constant struggles to find herself and her peace of mind after the tragic death of her sister from the OK bombings, her abuse from childhood, and a job that makes her question the common decency of human beings, Grace is portrayed in a way I think most people can relate to.

Sure, there is violence and nudity and harsh language. Life is FULL of that. Not everyone is Christian and not everyone finds nudity disgusting, but hearing people who profess themselves to be Christian and saying there is nothing in Holly Hunter's character worth saving doesn't sound very Christian to me.

Aside from all that, the character Grace feels real, raw, tragic and yet not without hope. She has moments (although brief) where a little piece of sage advice from Earl starts to sink in. In many cases in real life, when we hear something we know is right, but aren't ready to hear it, we deny it in our actions or our words. You see this conundrum with Grace. She is a representation of someone barely holding on before hitting rock bottom, and the way our lives can change (albeit slowly) when we start to think instead of just act.

This show is not only very well written, but well acted, well thought out, and conscious of the fact that not everyone is perfect. This is definitely not a show for people who like neat and tidy endings at the end of each episode, but great for those who like to ponder what it would be like in the portrayed characters shoes.

In closing, if people get offended by what they see on television; turn it off. Read a book, write a book, do the dishes, do something else. Don't continue to watch the show in complete disgust only to have something negative to blog about.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Creative Genius...Brilliant Concept for a show!!!
jbsrebel26 September 2007
Kudos to Nancy Miller and TNT for bringing this show into our homes! Just can't thank you enough! The twists, turns and possibilities are endless..I'm so hooked!!

Holly Hunter is magnificent as Grace! Amazing how she embodies that character so easily! WOW! The same thing goes for every single actor on this show. Leon..Kenny..Baily..Laura..Bobby..just so naturally become their characters, like its' their second skin..and that is magical to watch! Kudos on the casting, and to the whole cast!

I can't wait for more, and hope this show has a very long run! It really pulls at some major heartstrings!! Must see TV..drama and comedy..you betcha! Thank you! ~ Rebel
36 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gritty but addictive
lynsalz0218 December 2007
I'm far from being a prude, but sometimes I'm still amazed at what cable can get away with (I still remember when Playtex had to show their bras on manikins).

At first, I was reluctant to watch Saving Grace because the commercials portrayed Grace as a lost, angry rebel who finds redemption. But on a friend's recommendation, I gave it a shot and was really impressed. This titillating show offers a little of everything. Grace is tough and indulgent, and makes no apologies for it. I find her to be one of the most real character on TV.

Moving forward, I hope Grace isn't somehow 'saved' and thereby transformed – the fact that she's struggling between her demons and her faith is what makes her character identifiable, and the show a true pleasure to watch.
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It pushes the envelope for cable TV. Not your typical angel certainly no "Highway to Heaven"
Danny Blankenship20 September 2007
Just recently over the last month I started to watch TNT's new cable drama series "Saving Grace", because I had read so much about it in the entertainment magazines and tabloids that it was racy and pushed the limits for cable and I agree, but it's highly enjoyable and I like it's theme and the acting is great from Holly Hunter. Holly Hunter the fine veteran actress that she is stars wonderfully as Grace a hard living, hard working, down on her luck, cigarette smoking, beer drinking, bed hopping, redneck Oklahoma City detective that does her best to solve crime and have fun while being sexy as ever. Now talk about a lot of adjectives to describe her character! Aside from the drama and characterization of her the shows theme is around an angel who appears to Grace he's named Earl played brilliant by Leon Rippy he's so caring and he often scolds Grace and he guides her in the right direction and Earl always makes Grace feel guilty about her sinful deeds. Yes the program pushes the envelope it's not "Highway to Heaven" the sex and loving making scenes are racy and raunchy showing plenty of skin really to much bump and grind for cable yet in today's modern age it passes. Also Holly Hunter flashes plenty of skin and she has been shown many times in scenes wearing sexy colored bras that makes it another reason to watch great sex appeal Holly is very sexy for a middle aged woman, and her characters accent has such a nice southern twang. Really one of the better new cable series another winner for TNT this is something an average person can relate to the drama of hard work and hard living with hope from an angel.
24 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
star actress
someofusarebrave22 August 2010
Holly Hunter's the best white lady actress on television.

I hope we all know that, but just in case we don't, I'm sayin' it.

I adore this show. I wrote three essays about it after the series finale just so that I could get some sleep after, because I was so disturbed in the best way possible by Grace's death. I absolutely adore this series. I think it's one of the best ever written for network television, probably the best after Grey's Anatomy lost its stride midway through season 3.

Holly Hunter, you don't need to get drunk and dance naked or have casual, intensely conflicted sex in order to pull off the acting gig. You don't need to do anything other than to show up. I pray you know that.

Meanwhile, I hope you arise again on a new television show STAT.

I was so used to being inspired by witnessing an artist in her element.

This was television realizing its true capacity to change lives.

Whatever shall I do to replace those nights of having my soul fed?

I miss you already.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great show, a little heavy on the stereotypes
michael-d-collier12 September 2007
As a displaced native of Oklahoma, I find it amusing that they portray everybody wearing cowboy hats and boots and driving pickups. They even have a token Indian with braids. I lived in Oklahoma City for 10 years, and they have failed to capture the true essence of the city.

I was relieved, however, to see that the show took the risk to show life as it really is, pretty messy at times. I'm looking forward to seeing Grace's relationship with Earl develop over time. No tidy little revelation, and ta da!, everybody lives happily ever after. No Bruce Almighty here.

Very refreshing. Well done. Well done, indeed.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great but misunderstood.
insomniac_rod20 April 2008
Cheesy premise that shouldn't fool viewers. This is a really interesting, complete, intense, and sensual t.v. series.

Holly Hunter once again demonstrates she's an excellent actress and manages to carry this show on her shoulders.

The whole "angel" plot thing gives equilibrium to the movie but shouldn't be considered as an important aspect for the show, it's just a supporting situation that serves as Grace's conscience.

The show was an edge, it's smart, aggressive, offensive, but witty.

I can surely say that this show deserves another chance and have more promotion.

I was really impressed with the pace of the show and it's complex situations that get resolved in great manner.

Please watch this show with very low expectations and you might surprise yourself.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Show
j3inpenn20 October 2008
I like this show. It is very well done. What makes it what it is are the scenes between Holly Hunter and Leon Rippy. I like watching them interact with one another because so much real emotion comes out of it. The rest of the cast is great too. It is well written and well directed. I hope that it has a long run on TNT and I hope that the acting, writing and directing stay original. Grace is such an interesting character to watch. She has the viewer rooting for her at some points in the storyline and at other times she has them feeling bad for her. It is hard to decide whether you like her or hate her. It will be interesting to see where it all goes.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Pope may not be amused
pontram30 March 2011
This was a great show with wonderful actors, mainly good story lines and smart dialogs. It has a lot of cool lines especially for main actress Holly Hunter, who is really adorable as the center of all things in the show. After some time a solo that big would become a bit dull, but luckily there are a lot of great supporting actors, first of all Leon Rippy, who gives some Kind of Oklahoma-Style Angel, a really nice invention with all his southern accent and cowboy behavior.

As everyone knows, the story is about detective Grace Hanadarko, a drinking, smoking, swearing, scrappy fan-girl of all kinds of intercourse in her late 40's, and how she moves away from and back to God, as a result of some mystic incidents, one of them is the appearance of Angel Earl after she killed a pedestrian with her car, driving drunken.

Following the main character's lifestyle, the show is often rude, with graphic sexuality, sometimes offensive against the church or Christian belief. That's why I liked it, plus a good pinch of black humor and serenity, mixed with a sometimes heartbreaking drama.

But don't misunderstand me, the religious side turns out not to be that serene as expected through Grace's statements or actions. On the contrary, this is partially a complete fairy tale about Heaven, God, and angels, and how to bring a black sheep back to the community of believers. There may be a few lines scratching the Christian belief systems, but after all, God sits in limbo, does some incomprehensible things if he wants, but is like the Bible tells us. And he sends Angels like Earl, to rescue people worth being rescued (others may not be worthy enough, so they aren't rescued).

How Grace's universe works, especially the God aspect, is taught us in every episode a little more, like a puzzle, which we have to solve together with Grace. Luckily she is a Police Detective and her best friend Rhetta is a forensic scientist believing in God, Mysteries and Angels. Rhetta collects all the puzzle parts, leading Grace and us to come close to the possible solution(s).

So the message is that there's someone out there who cares for your undying soul, even if you are rude, alcoholic, reckless, sex-addicted and whatsoever. You only have to have a dark secret in your childhood, that made you the way you are, apart from the rest you are basically good-hearted. And if you deny to come back to the herd of god's sheep, he will continue to try.

What the show makes really interesting is, that you can see that everyone has a great love for Grace's so-called flaws or defects, although they are shown as things God (or morality) do not like. When she sleeps with her recently married workmate, which is a sin, when she drinks and laughs and is rude, when she curses or when she does idiotic and immature things out of her provocativeness, she is always sympathetic, even in denying god with the f-word. There is also (mostly) no Devil present, who tries to seduce her. All bad things - in the way bad things are meant by a Christian society - come directly from Grace herself. She is ill-bred and bad socialized, a rebel. The seduction from the Devil comes - if ever - in other ways and may not even intended by the authors.

Between those extremities - on one side the naive sight of morality and on the other side the advanced picture of a modern, strong (and weak at once) woman who does not want to addict herself to questionable common moral values - the show tackles with an astonishing amount of certitude. The degree of moral and religious philosophy is kept very low in words and actions, instead the audience is let (mostly) to decide what's wrong or good with Grace.

It is a real pity that the show was canceled, the reasons are not so clear, it seems not to be a matter of quotes. The last few episodes feel a bit hasty and are not quite in line with the original ideas. Nevertheless I think 'Saving Grace' is something like a milestone in portrayal of a modern woman.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing
Rubens Junior2 October 2007
I think that Saving Grace is a part of that current successful plot (bad ass woman working to put everything in order) chosen by TNT to be massive produced and follow the success of The Closer. That's so that way that the creator and the main writer is the same for both series: Nancy Miller. But that's OK, the show stills being a little original, and that's what matters to me.

I can understand why some people are not liking this series so much, I think that perhaps is its southern, pure, dirty and incredulous way to be crude and straight on the stories, something that's not so common on television these days. From the past few years people are forgetting how to produce TV shows, making the shows looks so plastic and fictional that when a realistic series is on TV, people prefer to change the channel. OK, Saving Grace isn't that realistic because there's an angel on it with wings, but the show is working with realistic matters, personal problems and sins (or what we call sins) from different point of views of a few saints and sinners (or what we call saints and sinners). At the same way these are also the same reasons why some other people are liking this show so much.

That's nice to know that this show is getting some attention by now because it has an interesting plot, an amazing cast and dialogs a lot unconventional treating your brains the way it should be treated. This show is not for kids, teenagers, housewives or businessman, but for those audiences looking for something a little different like each one of us. The characters have very well designed personalities and no one is perfect, even Earl, the angel. So, who is right and who is wrong?
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gritty, Wonderful, Offensive, Joyous, Vulgar, Kind, Cruel, Loving...
thogar27 December 2007
I found this show to be a bit of all the things I've summarized above, which is why I like it. For all its faults, Saving Grace is a lot like life; tossing us a hodgepodge of situations and emotions, some of which are not so easy to experience, but that's what makes this a great show. The casting is spot-on and, yes, some of the characters could use some development, but there have only been 13 episodes and the focus of the show is Grace herself, so that's also to be expected. If I had one complaint, it's that the character of Earl isn't used as much or often as I like. Leon Rippy is great as the angel Earl and I'm dying to see more of him along with his nuggets of wisdom and the revelations he brings to Grace. He's definitely not what I would've pictured an angel to look or act like, but he fills the wings perfectly.

It's been said that Holly Hunter's Grace doesn't deserve redemption, but I don't really understand that sentiment. Who could be more deserving of redemption than those that most sorely need it? The entire point of Earl's mission is to offer redemption to those who seem, to we mortals, as beyond redemption. Maybe Grace doesn't deserve redemption, but she needs it dearly, and one of the messages of this show is that God offers redemption to all because His love is unconditional and eternal.

As a Christian (Catholic to be specific), I must disagree that this show misses the chance to gain a following in the Christian community. The writers smartly avoid limiting (yes, limiting) themselves to endearing only the Christian community and keep the show's message of God's love open to all who believe in a supreme being. My Jewish friends would be less likely to identify with the messages in Saving Grace had Earl come with words about Jesus, yet there is also no belittling of the Christian doctrine, either. It's a smart move designed to be friendly to all people of faith, regardless of their particular denomination. Regarding different religions, Earl himself summed it up best when he said something to the effect of "They're all just different roads leading to the same place." Kudos to the producers for giving us a show that has a little "faith" without being preachy in this often Godless TV landscape. I'll keep watching and recommending this gem to all my friends. I hope you who read this will find the show as appealing as I do and pass the word along to others.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Willful Even When Wrong
Robert Jones24 August 2012
The script is the problem. The main character is unable to heal her emotional wounds. Even when visited by an angel, she cannot face her pain and heal her past. She uses booze, sex, rebellion, violence, and moral superiority to escape her responsibility to make sense of life. I kept hoping she would begin the long journey to self-awareness, but her cowardice and ignorance finally became too boring to waste any more time on.

Like Dirty Harry, she sees herself as morally superior to the system. She lies, tampers with evidence, violates rights, and manipulates others to achieve her version of justice. I think she is really seeking revenge on the person who hurt her as a child. The script implies that the end justifies the means, as we are led to feel sympathy for Grace.

She is self-destructive and committed to the rage of victimhood. The title led me to believe that the story would be about healing and redemption. I wasted my precious time watching seven episodes of self-indulgence, resistance, and lack of personal responsibility.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
love the show
curryt-111 September 2007
I am from the Oklahoma City area and find it interesting how the writers/producers have so many authentic OK references in the show. The angel wears an Eskimo Joe's t shirt in one episode. The name of a real live OK criminal is the bad-guy in one episode. The Sooner/Longhorn rivalry. For the person who commented on OK being the bible-belt let them know/that there are Catholic churches alongside Baptist churches in every town in OK. Grace is a real character with real flaws like everybody. She is in the process of evolving. With Leon's help maybe she will become the person she needs to be. I also love the theme song and opening credits.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not really a spoiler, just advising viewers to go the distance.
dad22js8 February 2008
Like some of the others who have posted here, I was at first uncomfortable with the Miss Hunter's character being so openly slutty. I want Hollywood to be more responsible when portraying sexual activity so that the public would be more aware of the dangers of STDs and other drawbacks to morally bad behavior. Not like I set a good example in my youth, but these days you can suffer for life and even die from one ill advised encounter. Having watched the series through it's first 13 episodes I now feel that the character of Detective Hanadarko was portrayed correctly and with great artistic feeling. My advise is to watch the show through all episodes (so far) and you will understand where the story is going. In feature films I am often impatient with the story line, waiting to find out where we are being taken. It doesn't always pay off, but this show does. Excellent writing, casting, directing and acting make this one terrific show. Hang in there, then make your mind up.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Saving Grace Is Beyond Saving *1/2
edwagreen17 June 2009
Foolish, ridiculous, inane and outrageous best describe this show.

There is too much going on with police partying, a cop getting killed by a hit and run driver, a terrorist plot, and trying to bring this into play makes for one big, huge mess.

The bullets really fly with Holly having a guardian angel. It is really never explained why this angel exists. I thought that Grace died and went to heaven. The beginning scene, where she and the angel are dangling on wire above a bridge, is crazy at best. What's the reason for this? Later on, they're accused as a joke for having sex on the wire? Come on. The writers could do far better than this.

As for a terrorist attack occurring at a police officer's funeral, the writer has allowed his or her imagination to run away from him/her. It's even funny how all the decent cops pull their guns on the terrorists, who stole fake uniforms to get into the services.

Don't bother to save Grace. This is beyond redemption.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
.. it was good, but not a huge loss to see it end
bjarias29 October 2014
The series did not end after just three seasons through the fault of the actors. They did their part (and look as if they had a darn good time while doing it). But a story about the life of a hard living, heavy drinking, promiscuous, 50 year-old female detective (with an angel buddy) was just not ever going to capture a large TV audience, and the continuously falling ratings reflected that fact. The show in all probability would have benefited from fewer recurring characters.. and spending more time with those remaining. As for Holly Hunter.. bit.ly/16lc7ck .. her acting was consistently solid, but her diminutive physical stature, and the fact that a couple of hunks would be chasing her about as if she were Kate Upton, did not lend credibility to the storyline.. she did most times make it fun to watch though (can do a wasted boozer better than most anybody). Some of the episodes don't come off well, but when all things line up.. they are absolutely something special to watch. The third season was the weakest of the three, with several oddball episodes that ended the series, and coming at the wrong time to assure the shows fourth season... (and once it was over for Connie... well, that was a premonition of what was to come).
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Answers of Hollywood's Oldest Riddles...
A_Different_Drummer2 December 2013
Excellent show. Great concept which DID NOT GET IN THE WAY of the weekly episodes, great supporting cast (how can you go wrong with Laura San Giacomo?) and clever character development. "Grace" is one of the most loving characters ever penned in a TV script. Literally. She loves her best friend. She loves her dog. She loves her grandfather. She loves her job. She pretty much loves Life. Yet, she is a successful homicide detective who paradoxically needs a "Last Chance Angel." That is clever writing folks, and Hunter sells the character like a Boxing Day special. But to this reviewer this show is really about one of the oldest controversies in Hollywood, namely, what happens if you take a A-List star and allow that star to do his or her thing in a TV series..? Even though the lines between TV and film have blurred in the last few years, the debate is real. Holly Hunter is a perfect example. She will, I think, always be remembered for her film work. She is one of those actresses who you cannot easily substitute (in a mental casting call) with anyone else. She is unique. And yet here she is doing a weekly series...? How did that turn out??? She was brilliant!! If you check the IMDb you will see about a dozen nominations for best actress on SAVING GRACE, and all deserved. (Not many wins -- one wonders if the voters were themselves influenced by the fact that she was "slumming" for this project?) In my view, Hunter is the show and hanging out with her character is what gives the show traction. Top rated.
Ending sucks
kathiw2123 July 2012
No point in writing what everyone else has said in these reviews. Good series. Except the last episode sucks. If you are a sucker for happy endings DON'T watch this series. What in the world was the purpose of this series only to make the last episode so upsetting? This was my first time watching Holly Hunter act and enjoyed her character a lot and the characters in her life. Surely there could have been a better way to end this series to satisfy viewers. I cheered her character on each episode as she wove her way through her life and was so hoping for a happy ending for her & Ham. Sucks, so disappointing and such a waste of time watching this.
Introspection at its best
gypsycyn6669 March 2010
I am thankful that a show can be so thought provoking. There are many times I find it easy to identify with Grace and her daily struggles to do the right thing while giving into her weaknesses. She is strong and imperfect. Such is life and the world we exist in. Whether the viewer is religious or not, Grace touches on the harsh realities on the road to redemption. Deep, complex, sometimes a little scattered but always pushing us to think about the what ifs of what lies beyond life and what the consequences are for our actions. Grace represents a side of law enforcement that we commonly see portrayed by men and, as a result, some may find her actions to be unrealistic. I think she does an excellent job portraying the difficulties faced when trying to have a sane personal life while dealing with the worst in humanity.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The First Episode Is Enough...
fearfulofspiders5 September 2008
This isn't the profound show commercials hail it to be. I stuck with this show for 2-seasons mainly because other family members of mine are in love with it. I understand redemption, and in fact encourage more productions of such a subject, however, the constant nudity, terrible dialogue, and -- at times -- corny acting, really can steer me out of the room instantaneously.

Holly Hunter (while great in other shows/movies) is really over-the-top in her performance on here. She's virtually nude in the majority episode selection, and to be all honest, this isn't edgy or innovative -- I could watch nudity on Weeds and still be engaged with the characters and story... not Saving Grace, where it is unnecessary and does nothing for the tone, nor add to the story.

The episodes plod on and on about the same thing over and over again.

The music is too preachy, making scenes drag on like music videos, rather than seem like actual human drama.

All in all, Saving Grace is a mixed-bag. Good idea, executed poorly. I say pass on this show, and save your DVR/TiVo space for The Closer or LOST.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
hard to like...
ginmoses24 July 2007
i really wanted to like this show. the premise had caught my attention enough that i was anticipating something special. my thought, several times, was that they were all trying way too hard. the sex scenes were too wildly raunchy. holly hunter's "grace" was too agonizingly debauched (tho i realize they were setting us up for her redemption). the supporting cast were too one dimensional. so ultimately i watched, but i really doubt that i'll be back again. why? i really don't care about grace or her married lover, or her relatives who waste too much time chasing after her, or any of them. the only really interesting moments came from earl and the convict on death row. i may relent and give it another chance. after all, the raw material is promising... what did you think?
8 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Season 3 made no sense.....too rushed.
Maria Trim2 July 2017
I found this on Amazon it was expensive to watch as its not free on prime so i bought the Series off ebay for a fraction of the cost.

Season 1 amazing i loved it was totally hooked.

Crazy Grace wild, drunken, wanton hard working detective who had no morals is given a last chance angel. It doesn't really specify what the last chance is. To change her ways, accept god in her life i was never really sure. Enter Earl the angel.

At first i was a bit confused at the trail of clues about her life. Why was Leo introduced how come they had parallel lives what drew them together?

Why was Grace so bad? What made a fantastic cop act the way she did.

Over the episodes you learn why, you also learn about her guilt over the death of her sister.

When i got to season 2, I was totally hooked, and enjoying every minute of this bumpy ride.

Its not all about angels there are good strong story lines and lots of detective work going on, and forensics, love, friendship and each episode it kind of showed you a different Grace, a caring one, who loved her friends and family deeply. When you found out what happened to her when she was a young child you forgave her all her sins.

Now back to Earl and going into Season 3.

I think the story jumped the shark. Who was Neely, why was she introduced she didn't have ties to Grace. I found her character banal and lacking. Was Grace supposed to save her, then why was Earl there?

I didn't get it. I understood why grace was tied to Leo it was explained but not Neely.

The writing to me starting to crumble, i felt cheated where was it all going?

What was the purpose of Earl the Angel it seemed anyone he helped died. Then evil turns up....oh dear cliché you always have to get the good with the bad.....but why did evil turn up?

Grace did everything asked of her, and it was never enough. I almost went off God at one point. God knew that one of his own servants had made Grace the way she was, so why couldn't he forgive her without her doing all the penance.

I nearly didn't bother watching the rest of Season 3, the ending was pointless...season 3 felt rushed as though they had run out of money.

A total shame as this was or could have been a fantastic series and it could have gone on for a long time. It got silly when Neely and grace survived a massive fall, why did God allow a miracle to be so exposed then turn his back on them both and chuck evil in. Its like saying i am saving you for now but the evil within you will extinguish you anyway even though both of them had more then enough good reasons beyond their control to have faults and flaws. So why bring in evil they didn't deserve to go the way they did they let evil into their lives, but then why didn't Earl stop it or warn them. I got quite annoyed at one point. Neither of them were bad people they were made that way through terrible circumstances. When Neely died how come she was in New Orleans, and who buried her so fast it was all a bit confusing......and Earl well he was just blase about her death.

Nah a good series went bad, but its still watchable, but i felt cheated at the end, as it ended with no substance. It just made me think what was it all about..............

Holly Hunter and the other actors though were absolutely amazing in this and the acting was superb.

I know the ending was confusing as i have read reviews where people were very confused and even thought she had died in the sea and the rest was just a dream etc.....so the ending wasn't clear enough.

Watch it though its got some brilliant good points up to mid season 2 EXCELLENT 10/10, season 3, i would score a 5.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this