IMDb > "Saving Grace" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Saving Grace"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Saving Grace" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

TNT has a winner, here

Author: sfbearcop from Albuquerque, NM
24 July 2007

It's obvious Ms. Hunter wanted to do this role. She's listed as one of the producers, so she either moved things forward or she's saving the production some money by taking some of her salary as back-end. I can certainly understand her desire to play Grace. Few women these days get to play tough, problem ridden cops who are struggling for some form of redemption. I guess if no one wants to write material like this for the big screen, we'll be seeing more high-value actresses on the small screen. Ms. Hunter follows Kyra Sedgwick in her series, and Glenn Close in her role on the Shield and in her new series.

Many reviews have had problems with the religion in the series opener. I don't and I'm anything but a church-goer. I found that the angel, splendidly played by Leon Rippy, whom I enjoyed in Deadwood, isn't everyone's idea of an angel, but I guess angels and gods can appear in any guise that suits their purpose and I'm sure that the tobacco-chewing Earl is more appropriate for the purpose of saving Grace Hanadarko -- whose name in almost the name of a town in Caddo County, Oklahoma; her's just has an added "H".

Since I'm watching "The Closer before it, I'm all set to keep watching "Saving Grace" for the long haul.

Wonderfully Real

Author: Nailah Jordan from United States
8 June 2008

I first started watching "Saving Grace" because of Holly Hunter. She is one of my favorite actors, and I don't miss anything she's in.

The show caught me off guard with the rawness of the characters. I know nothing of Oklahoma, so I didn't notice the stereotypes. I appreciated the honesty of the characters. Flawed relationships, unhealthy relationships, work partners turning into bed partners. I think it happens more in law enforcement and medical facilities than most places. Watching the team interact is pretty much on point. I like that.

I also like seeing women over forty acting in a good series. I don't have to watch the twenty-somethings strut around reciting lines as if they were still first year drama students. Lorraine Toussaint and Lauren San Giacomo are wonderful in their supporting roles. I get to see three women who's work I admire and respect.

The subtle religious message is presented in a way that is inoffensive but definitely present. I find Earl to be like John Travolta's Michael, but not nearly as annoying. He's a flawed angel, but not in a way that makes you ask, "How can HE be an angle?!" All I can say is thank whatever deity is listening for giving Ms. Hunter the courage to push forward with this project, and the viewers who gave it a chance.

Creative Genius...Brilliant Concept for a show!!!

Author: (jbsrebel) from United States
26 September 2007

Kudos to Nancy Miller and TNT for bringing this show into our homes! Just can't thank you enough! The twists, turns and possibilities are endless..I'm so hooked!!

Holly Hunter is magnificent as Grace! Amazing how she embodies that character so easily! WOW! The same thing goes for every single actor on this show. Leon..Kenny..Baily..Laura..Bobby..just so naturally become their characters, like its' their second skin..and that is magical to watch! Kudos on the casting, and to the whole cast!

I can't wait for more, and hope this show has a very long run! It really pulls at some major heartstrings!! Must see TV..drama and comedy..you betcha! Thank you! ~ Rebel

An excellent, original show - a wild ride!

Author: elizabuff72 from United States
17 September 2007

What a cast! Holly Hunter, Leon Rippy, Laura San Giacomo, Lorraine Roussaint, etc.! Each show gets successively better as the writing gets tighter. No dumbing down here which is much appreciated. I hope this show goes on forever - seriously! Every episode is a an enexpected treat. You may not want to face some of the rougher issues the show raises about life, conscience, fear, God, and human nature. It's made me think about may past incidents in my personal life and how I chose to deal with them or chose not to. The writing is snappy and funny at times and at other times very touching. The chemistry between the cast members is palpable and every single character is original and interesting. What a true joy to know as a viewer I'm being asked to think and consider what I'm watching and make up my own mind rather than be spoon fed someone else's definition of good and evil. This is the only show I make sure I never miss!

Gritty but addictive

Author: lynsalz02 from United States
18 December 2007

I'm far from being a prude, but sometimes I'm still amazed at what cable can get away with (I still remember when Playtex had to show their bras on manikins).

At first, I was reluctant to watch Saving Grace because the commercials portrayed Grace as a lost, angry rebel who finds redemption. But on a friend's recommendation, I gave it a shot and was really impressed. This titillating show offers a little of everything. Grace is tough and indulgent, and makes no apologies for it. I find her to be one of the most real character on TV.

Moving forward, I hope Grace isn't somehow 'saved' and thereby transformed – the fact that she's struggling between her demons and her faith is what makes her character identifiable, and the show a true pleasure to watch.

It pushes the envelope for cable TV. Not your typical angel certainly no "Highway to Heaven"

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
20 September 2007

Just recently over the last month I started to watch TNT's new cable drama series "Saving Grace", because I had read so much about it in the entertainment magazines and tabloids that it was racy and pushed the limits for cable and I agree, but it's highly enjoyable and I like it's theme and the acting is great from Holly Hunter. Holly Hunter the fine veteran actress that she is stars wonderfully as Grace a hard living, hard working, down on her luck, cigarette smoking, beer drinking, bed hopping, redneck Oklahoma City detective that does her best to solve crime and have fun while being sexy as ever. Now talk about a lot of adjectives to describe her character! Aside from the drama and characterization of her the shows theme is around an angel who appears to Grace he's named Earl played brilliant by Leon Rippy he's so caring and he often scolds Grace and he guides her in the right direction and Earl always makes Grace feel guilty about her sinful deeds. Yes the program pushes the envelope it's not "Highway to Heaven" the sex and loving making scenes are racy and raunchy showing plenty of skin really to much bump and grind for cable yet in today's modern age it passes. Also Holly Hunter flashes plenty of skin and she has been shown many times in scenes wearing sexy colored bras that makes it another reason to watch great sex appeal Holly is very sexy for a middle aged woman, and her characters accent has such a nice southern twang. Really one of the better new cable series another winner for TNT this is something an average person can relate to the drama of hard work and hard living with hope from an angel.

Smart, funny, feeling and real

Author: michealhise from United States
24 October 2008

There's been a lot of talk that this show is vulgar, that Holly Hunter's character is repulsive and doesn't deserve saving. Through her constant struggles to find herself and her peace of mind after the tragic death of her sister from the OK bombings, her abuse from childhood, and a job that makes her question the common decency of human beings, Grace is portrayed in a way I think most people can relate to.

Sure, there is violence and nudity and harsh language. Life is FULL of that. Not everyone is Christian and not everyone finds nudity disgusting, but hearing people who profess themselves to be Christian and saying there is nothing in Holly Hunter's character worth saving doesn't sound very Christian to me.

Aside from all that, the character Grace feels real, raw, tragic and yet not without hope. She has moments (although brief) where a little piece of sage advice from Earl starts to sink in. In many cases in real life, when we hear something we know is right, but aren't ready to hear it, we deny it in our actions or our words. You see this conundrum with Grace. She is a representation of someone barely holding on before hitting rock bottom, and the way our lives can change (albeit slowly) when we start to think instead of just act.

This show is not only very well written, but well acted, well thought out, and conscious of the fact that not everyone is perfect. This is definitely not a show for people who like neat and tidy endings at the end of each episode, but great for those who like to ponder what it would be like in the portrayed characters shoes.

In closing, if people get offended by what they see on television; turn it off. Read a book, write a book, do the dishes, do something else. Don't continue to watch the show in complete disgust only to have something negative to blog about.

Great but misunderstood.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
20 April 2008

Cheesy premise that shouldn't fool viewers. This is a really interesting, complete, intense, and sensual t.v. series.

Holly Hunter once again demonstrates she's an excellent actress and manages to carry this show on her shoulders.

The whole "angel" plot thing gives equilibrium to the movie but shouldn't be considered as an important aspect for the show, it's just a supporting situation that serves as Grace's conscience.

The show was an edge, it's smart, aggressive, offensive, but witty.

I can surely say that this show deserves another chance and have more promotion.

I was really impressed with the pace of the show and it's complex situations that get resolved in great manner.

Please watch this show with very low expectations and you might surprise yourself.

The Pope may not be amused

Author: pontram from Austria
30 March 2011

This was a great show with wonderful actors, mainly good story lines and smart dialogs. It has a lot of cool lines especially for main actress Holly Hunter, who is really adorable as the center of all things in the show. After some time a solo that big would become a bit dull, but luckily there are a lot of great supporting actors, first of all Leon Rippy, who gives some Kind of Oklahoma-Style Angel, a really nice invention with all his southern accent and cowboy behavior.

As everyone knows, the story is about detective Grace Hanadarko, a drinking, smoking, swearing, scrappy fan-girl of all kinds of intercourse in her late 40's, and how she moves away from and back to God, as a result of some mystic incidents, one of them is the appearance of Angel Earl after she killed a pedestrian with her car, driving drunken.

Following the main character's lifestyle, the show is often rude, with graphic sexuality, sometimes offensive against the church or Christian belief. That's why I liked it, plus a good pinch of black humor and serenity, mixed with a sometimes heartbreaking drama.

But don't misunderstand me, the religious side turns out not to be that serene as expected through Grace's statements or actions. On the contrary, this is partially a complete fairy tale about Heaven, God, and angels, and how to bring a black sheep back to the community of believers. There may be a few lines scratching the Christian belief systems, but after all, God sits in limbo, does some incomprehensible things if he wants, but is like the Bible tells us. And he sends Angels like Earl, to rescue people worth being rescued (others may not be worthy enough, so they aren't rescued).

How Grace's universe works, especially the God aspect, is taught us in every episode a little more, like a puzzle, which we have to solve together with Grace. Luckily she is a Police Detective and her best friend Rhetta is a forensic scientist believing in God, Mysteries and Angels. Rhetta collects all the puzzle parts, leading Grace and us to come close to the possible solution(s).

So the message is that there's someone out there who cares for your undying soul, even if you are rude, alcoholic, reckless, sex-addicted and whatsoever. You only have to have a dark secret in your childhood, that made you the way you are, apart from the rest you are basically good-hearted. And if you deny to come back to the herd of god's sheep, he will continue to try.

What the show makes really interesting is, that you can see that everyone has a great love for Grace's so-called flaws or defects, although they are shown as things God (or morality) do not like. When she sleeps with her recently married workmate, which is a sin, when she drinks and laughs and is rude, when she curses or when she does idiotic and immature things out of her provocativeness, she is always sympathetic, even in denying god with the f-word. There is also (mostly) no Devil present, who tries to seduce her. All bad things - in the way bad things are meant by a Christian society - come directly from Grace herself. She is ill-bred and bad socialized, a rebel. The seduction from the Devil comes - if ever - in other ways and may not even intended by the authors.

Between those extremities - on one side the naive sight of morality and on the other side the advanced picture of a modern, strong (and weak at once) woman who does not want to addict herself to questionable common moral values - the show tackles with an astonishing amount of certitude. The degree of moral and religious philosophy is kept very low in words and actions, instead the audience is let (mostly) to decide what's wrong or good with Grace.

It is a real pity that the show was canceled, the reasons are not so clear, it seems not to be a matter of quotes. The last few episodes feel a bit hasty and are not quite in line with the original ideas. Nevertheless I think 'Saving Grace' is something like a milestone in portrayal of a modern woman.

Great show, a little heavy on the stereotypes

Author: michael-d-collier from Atlanta
12 September 2007

As a displaced native of Oklahoma, I find it amusing that they portray everybody wearing cowboy hats and boots and driving pickups. They even have a token Indian with braids. I lived in Oklahoma City for 10 years, and they have failed to capture the true essence of the city.

I was relieved, however, to see that the show took the risk to show life as it really is, pretty messy at times. I'm looking forward to seeing Grace's relationship with Earl develop over time. No tidy little revelation, and ta da!, everybody lives happily ever after. No Bruce Almighty here.

Very refreshing. Well done. Well done, indeed.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]