IMDb > "The Lost Room" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Lost Room"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Lost Room" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Utterly Fascinating Puzzle for Smart Viewers

Author: Enrique Sanchez from Miami, FL
12 December 2006

I am, I repeat, UTTERLY fascinated with the puzzle which is the premise with this new SCI-FI series. It appears that SCI-FI Channel is finally listening to us and providing real Science Fiction instead of just empty space adventures and endless streams of mindless exercises in bad horror.

The central protagonist, Joe Miller, who is excellently played by Peter Krause, introduces a deftly played brave-smart-everyman quality to this thriller which brings us quickly into the story.

Kevin Pollak shows his true colors early as a fine actor playing the cool-mob-type bad guy.

Dennis Christopher brings a brilliant, oddball weirdness to his role as the volatile, confused dreamer, Dr. Ruber.

But everyone and everything is not what they/it seem(s). And I won't spoil any of the plot line for readers.

Suffice it to say, this is a gem in the making. If all possibilities are to be developed as I think they should be, this is going to be one to remember. Facts are not revealed all at once as in the end of an Agatha Christie mystery. You are not given great big chunks of them but: piecemeal and as far as I can tell this early - not without their own internal mysteries.

You have to only guess what is coming next, and when it comes, something else is brought into the fold which skews or distorts what you first believed.

So far the sophisticated viewer's collective intelligence has not been insulted or compromised.

This is very good writing. It does not rely on special effects for the mystery. The mystery is in the story, the way it should be.

Let's keep it this way! I am hooked. I hope it lasts....as a series!

Bravo SCI-FI!

Fantastic Mini-Series - PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!

Author: orlyrocks from United States
14 December 2006

What a mini-series!!! I absolutely loved this show!!! It left me wanting more ie, a series. I love the series Lost and watched Taken three times. So, I'm a fan of Sci-Fi. This captured my attention from the minute they showed the teaser. The story line was absolutely fascinating. And I thought the acting was excellent. I too enjoyed Peter Kraus in Six Feet Under; he's a very talented actor and I feel he will go very far.

If the writers and producers are reading these postings, Please, please bring this back as a series!!!! I loved it and would watch it faithfully! Thank you for bringing such an interesting show to us.

Thoughtful, Well-planned, Well-executed

Author: rlayfield11 from United States
12 December 2006

I am thoroughly enthralled by what this show has to offer. I had the benefit of catching a repeat of the first few episodes back to back, and I am hooked beyond belief.

What stuns me is that everything seems to have a purpose behind it. At first, it appears to be an adventure that is random for the sake of being random. However, as the show unravels, there is a strange sense of mystery that would make Sir Arthur Conan Doyle proud. Shows like Lost have failed to grab my attention simply because I felt as if the writers were trying to make a 5-show plot thread last for fifty.

To be honest, I don't believe I've been this hooked on a show since Firefly. The main character could have easily been played by Nathan Fillion to the same effect of character. I hesitate to make any more comparisons; I'd hate for people to think this show is a hybrid of this or that. Something about it makes it completely unique.

I'm looking forward to where this show goes. I actually believe that history will remember this show as a benchmark for things to come.

great writing and nice production

Author: (ckrauss) from Canada
13 December 2006

This mini-series is quite original and I found it very entertaining. The idea is pretty wild and far fetched but they make a lot out of it. As with so many mini series the first two episodes are better than the 'conclusion' which really only sets possible future episodes up. That being said, this is the best thing I saw on TV this year. The lost room reminds me of 'Dark City' with the surreal reality that it creates. I also liked the fact that ordinary items, or 'objects' are used as props to advance the story in a very cheap yet efficient way.

The production value is good and the atmosphere created is very convincing. The acting is great for a TV production and I wouldn't mind if 'The Lost Room' would be picked up for a full season.

Rules rule

Author: graythebruce from United States
14 December 2006

Though I like fantasy and SF, I have to admit to being fondest of rule-based fantasy, like that of Tim Powers -- as a reader or viewer, you have an idea of what's possible and impossible, despite the supernatural elements of the story. Fantasy without rules is far less satisfactory, since characters in those stories can do whatever the writer arbitrarily decides they can do (or can't), and as a result, the writing is lazier.

"The Lost Room" is all about rules and the characters who find creative ways to abuse them. (Tim Powers fans would like it, I'm sure.) The writers have come up with cool supernatural powers for a host of innocuous looking objects (combs, pens, cards, bus tickets, watches, a key, etc.) Each object has a power and rules to govern them. Many of the powers don't seem that nifty, until you see how creatively they are used. And, along those lines, virtually every scene contains a fun, "Hey, that's a good idea!" move, and they tend to come at you faster than you can anticipate them if you aren't taping the show and hitting pause.

What's best about this is that the writers stick with it all the way. Many of these shows go David Lynch/Twin Peaks on us, setting us up with the promise of great stuff to come, and then disappointing us in a big way later. (Dean Koontz novels always seem to fall apart in this way, at least for me.) "The Lost Room" keeps up its promises all the way to the very end, which, like the rest of the miniseries, is clever and interesting and makes perfect sense in hindsight, given the rules.

I honestly can't think of the last time I saw a miniseries or movie of this ilk that pulled off its ending this well. It's a darned good miniseries, and I sincerely hope it becomes a full-blown series, as apparently is being considered.

Excellent storytelling - a must own for DVD

Author: maclaird1 from Milwaukee, WI
14 December 2006

I decided to watch this since the premise seemed fairly original. I was totally blown away! This show should be made into a series. Luckily they left the end open enough that we might actually see that in the future. With shows about superheroes becoming more and more common it is nice to see a storyline that allows those powers (useful and not so useful) able to transfer from one person to another. Excellent casting and set design. Kevin Pollak shines as an object collector obsessed to the point that he will sacrifice the world to get what he wants. Julianna Margulies is also excellent. It is nice to see her on something since ER. I was never quite sure if I should trust her completely or not since the objects seem to prove that power corrupts even when you have what you think are the best interests at heart. A must own on DVD when it finally comes out.

You just have to love motel mysteries!

Author: Jaderyn from United States
13 December 2006

I have seen two of the three episodes and I have to tell you that this miniseries has me watching every second in awe and wonder. Two hours speed by and I'm watching the encore to make sure I didn't miss anything. I thought Miss Fannings performance was a little weak; but that may only be because her sister is just so talented. The other characters rock however; well written and acted. You care about what happens to them; one way or the other...

It is rare for a movie to be written that I can't guess what the writers are thinking, but this one keeps the mystery surrounding it. The last movie to do this for me was "Identity" with John Cusack. In fact, there are a few similarities, but they are not intentional. If you enjoyed one, however, you will thoroughly enjoy the other.

Great stuff so far. If you missed it the first time; don't pass it by a second. It is worth the watch!

One Room to all Rooms Mindblowing

Author: evil-mail from Germany
15 December 2006

The idea is old, some mystical event has happened in the past and some one (Hulk,Spidy,Deardevil) or a group (Fantstic 4) gets superpowers. But this series is a little different. Not people get powerd up, ordinary things do like a comb, a key, or a glas eye. Some with greate power, like stopping time some with less like only cooking raw eggs.

I think this is a great series which you wouldn't regret to watch, if you like that kind of series. i give it a 10 because it never bored me and was always thrilling. Some of you may think you cant give a 10 but you some people also gave a Oscar to Cher because for a short moment she was a good actress. and for this today i give this series a ten because in this moment i cant think of a better series in this genre.

The Lost Room was terrific!

Author: geophyrd from North Woodmere, NY
27 December 2006

Woof...just saw The Lost Room on Sci Fi. I wasn't expected much but boy was I surprised! Great miniseries and I'm hoping its one of those stealth pilots that might lead to a miniseries.

If you've read the 2 sentence blurb about the show (everyday objects, fantastics powers!) don't think you've got it. There are complexities underneath the surface of this show and it was very well done. The lead, Peter Krauss, used to be the lead on Six Feet Under. I expected higher profile roles for him after SFU died, and when I saw he signed on for Lost Room, I was disappointed. It sounded boring.

It isn't. Its a wild ride and I promise three things. You'll believe that Kevin Pollack can play menacing exceedingly well and Dennis Christopher isn't as cool as you remember him being back in Breaking Away about 100 years ago.

The last thing I can promise is that you will dig the show. Its supposedly coming on again in Jan 2007. If you haven't seen it, see it and tell your friends. This is one we want to get behind.

Scifi is starting to show up more and more often on my ReplayTV list. Being a huge science fiction fanboy geek, that's probably the way it always ought to have been but for years the channel was showing reruns of The Hulk and and old bad scifi TV. Lately, with BSG, Stargates (all flavors), hopefully soon for Painkiller Jane and Dresden Files, its finally coming into its own. I expect that in 2007, I may be watching it as much as I do HBO and Showtime and I pay for those! Now, if I could just get Scifi to stop showing stuff like Mansquito and the like, I'll be one happy damned camper.

This is a great Mini Series

Author: SolemnSea from United States
12 December 2006

I love what i have watched so far. The first hour of it was kinda not interesting for me. But as soon as it started to pick up and i saw Julianna i loved it. The acting is great from Julianna and Peter. The others are good. This mini series is very different from what i have watched. It keeps you hooked especially if you have never heard of these things. SciFi has finally showed something that doesn't suck. It would be great if this turned in to an actual show. It doesn't just throw a bunch of information your way. All three parts are worth watching. This was a great mini series compared to the other crap thats on TV these days. It would be great if they release this on DVD or in some other way. This is definitely worth watching.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]