IMDb > Superbad (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 56:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Surprisingly Hilarious

Author: Datura618 from Brooklyn, NY
25 April 2007

I was able to catch a screening of 'Superbad' last night in NYC and I was very pleased with the movie. I'm sure most will compare this to an 'American Pie' like comedy, but it's so much more than that. There were some "shock value" moments, but very well done to tip the scale more to funny than to gross.

It is a teen movie, so 'Superbad's plot is obviously basic. It's the performances of the 3 friends (Seth, Evan, and 'McLovin' Fogell) that really make it great. I am big Michael Cera fan thanks to the brilliant TV series "Arrested Development", and other fans will be delighted to see his equally hilarious performance as Evan. The movie has the sexually driven banter and gross outs that will appeal to 'American Pie' viewer and the smart timing and acting that will appeal to the 'Arrested Development' viewer. What was really surprising to me was the touching (platonic) relationship that Evan and Seth have. Also, 'McLovin' Fogell, is an absolute nerdy delight.

The only negative thing I noticed that it was a bit drawn out toward the middle, but it really picks up after. Overall it's a great time and might just be a success at the box office. Bad teen comedies are a dime a dozen, but 'Superbad' is a shiny golden egg!

Funniest Movie I've Seen In A Long Time

Author: unscripted1 from Chicago, IL
26 July 2007

I got to see an advanced screening the other night, complete with an interview with the cast. I figured this movie could go either way, especially when you consider "40 year-old Virgin" and "Knocked Up" were funny and entertaining, but they weren't exactly loved by all.

I am happy to say this movie was wonderful. The jokes are crude, but dead on, and unlike recent movies with a similar style, like "Clerks 2," the plot moves on without any real downtime (you know, where the plot slows the progress of humor and you find yourself checking your watch). Jonah Hill and Michael Cera have that best friend chemistry that this movie required as well as being dead on with their jokes. The real star of the movie, however, was newcomer Christopher Mintz-Plasse, who took the role of Fogell and OWNED it. I got the chance to chat with the actors and I was not only surprised to hear that both Mintz-Plasse and Michael Cera are 18 and 19 respectively.

For the type of movie this is and the brilliant script that Seth Brogen has presented, there is no reason why anyone, young or old, can't relate to this off-the-wall comedy. See this movie!

Absolutely hilarious!!!

Author: nrbucco-1 from Pasadena, CA
14 April 2007

I have been lucky enough to see two advanced screenings of Superbad in Burbank. It is one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time. When I read the summary, I was a bit skeptical. The "high school comedy" is not exactly my cup of tea. My love for Michael Cera's performance in Arrested Development drove me to the theater and man was I glad I went. This is not your typical high school comedy. The writing is much smarter and funnier and the acting is superb. This movie so far transcends American Pie and its ilk that it cannot really even be compared. Go see this movie!!! I have a feeling it is going to go off the charts once the buzz gets around about how hilarious it is.

Holy Crap This Movie Was Amazing!!!!

Author: dafteskimo from United States
18 July 2007

Okay, so today i went to an advanced screening of this movie. It was really last minute and I didn't know much about it other than it was from the makers of The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up and it looked pretty funny.

I expected it to be funny, but my expectations were blown out of the water. It was extremely smart and pretty much believable. Well, some of the situations are a little ridiculous, but what's a good comedy without a little nonsense? But the characters were all so awesome.

There were a few parts where i was a little uncomfortable. There are some pretty explicit drawings in it so you might not want to see it with younger siblings or parents. But I'm telling you, this movie was super funny.

Best Teen Comedy Since the Original "American Pie!"

Author: Mehrdad1 from United States
17 July 2007

Well, I just got back from the Superbad screening tonight (thanks to the folks at MySpace) and I must say that this is a very special teen movie. It has that same element of transporting you back to your high school days that the original American Pie had. Michael Cera does great as the awkward teenage kid, basically a reprise of his role as George Michael on Arrested Development. But it is Jonah Hill who absolutely rules this movie! He had me laughing from the beginning to the end. His "silly fat-kid" character is the only one in the history of movies that shows what it truly feels like to be the funny fat kid in high school. I should know, I was one! Gosh, I just can't believe how well he portrayed the unmitigated hell that was P.E.! Emma Stone and Martha Maclsaac also give very realistic depictions of teenage girls. None of that fake, over the top nonsense. The most over-the-top character was "McLovin" himself, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, who did a great job of having us laugh with him as much as we did at him.

All in all, I think that everyone should be sure to watch this movie when it comes later this summer.

Excellent, hilarious teen movie with likable characters, for a change.

Author: Ben Morse (benmorse@yahoo.com) from United Kingdom
15 July 2007

Superbad is a teen movie. It also will draw comparisons to American Pie, in it's "losers try to get laid" themes, and occasional gross-out comedy. But the comparison is unfair - Superbad is a funnier, more subversive and more importantly genuine movie than American Pie or any of it's awful sequels were. The three central characters have a believable, likable relationship, that the film takes time to establish. Cera, Hill (who deserves special praise, for turning what could have been a really unlikeable character into a sweet, if loud-mouthed and crass, teenager) and Mintz-Plasse bounce of each other perfectly. The movie creates some funny situations, and more importantly, hilarious dialogue throughout. Aside from one comedic misfire - an overly long (and poorly judged) gross out sight gag involving a pair of trousers and a dance - Superbad had me laughing constantly. It's sweet, it's funny as hell, and it's established a load of new talent.

Hilarious, gross, yet smart movie

Author: vincelutton from United States
18 July 2007

Superbad was an absolutely hilarious film. There were so many mind bogglingly hilarious one-liners in the film that I will need to watch it again to see which ones I missed while I was laughing. This is one movie that I will definitely watch every time they rerun it on cable in the future. It had its completely gross-out teen moments, but those were grounded by its hilariously absurd and witty (also gross) conversations. Michael Cera was great, and most Arrested Development fans should find his performance here just as entertaining as his take on the George Michael character he played on that show. He is absolutely awkward and downright hilarious. Jonah Hill is the funniest he has ever been, confidently spouting out uproariously funny lines at every hot girl in sight.

Hilarious and also in many ways heartwarming.

Author: wwe7961 from United States
7 October 2010

This movie is one of the funniest of the 21st century. The jokes are hilarious, and it is spoken by a great cast. Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Seth Rogen, and others are excellent in their roles. The characters they play you really latch on to you. They are extremely likable in many ways. The dialogue is also superb. It's a fast moving script that gives many great lines by the end of the movie. Also at the end I sorta felt some happiness. It's one thing to make me laugh throughout, but to make a vulgar comedy like this actually make my heart warm is a very big plus. It's a film about friendship, and that message manages to find its way through all the vulgar stuff.

4 stars out of 4

One of the best comedies of the year

Author: vovazhd from United States
3 November 2007

Superbad may look like a typical high-school movie on the cover, but its actually much more. It follows a trio of high-school seniors that decide to have one last party before leaving for college (and one last shot at grabbing a girl). The trio consists of Seth, Evan, and Fogell. They make a likable main cast that is very easy to compare to. Their acting style is ideal for this type of film. Joining them are several other intriguing characters. My favorite were the two police officers, Slater and Michaels. Pretty much every scene with them made me laugh; from their references to other movies to the spoofs on being an officer, its classic slapstick comedy.

The plot is definitely a strong point, unlike many comedies today. Most of the movie follows two distinct plot lines that join up at the end. Inter-weaved in the plot are countless jokes that kept me laughing almost the whole time. The plot itself involves booze, partying, and law enforcement, and somehow works these in to make a very absorbing story. Also, the particularly close friendship between Seth and Evan is an element that surpasses the comedy genre. The plot as a whole has plenty of unrealistic details, but manages to successfully meld comedy with some deeper meaning.

The comedy aspects are some of the best ever. Some of the jokes were a little disgusting (mainly the part about Seth's childhood), but I gotta admit they were hilarious. The beer aspects were pretty cool, and the sexual jokes did their thing. The law enforcement spoofs and McLovin gags were probably my favorite.

The movie as a whole is among the better comedies ever. I liked it more than Knocked Up (7/10). It still suffers from some of the weaknesses inherent in the comedy genre, but has a lot more value than most movies nowadays. Highly recommended for people in high school or college, and also recommended (albeit to a lesser degree) for everyone else.

Definitely the best Apatow-group film yet

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
19 April 2008

I enjoyed "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," but didn't feel it was entirely worthy of all the enormous acclaim it garnered. And for all the praise "Knocked Up" received, I thought it was fairly average. So I wasn't expecting much from "Superbad." However, I'd have to say it's the smartest and funniest Apatow film yet. I know he didn't direct it, but his influence is distinct. And in the past I've felt indifferent towards Apatow's brand of humour, but combined with Rogen's sensitivity towards the teen condition here, it works really well.

People have compared it to John Hughes' better teen comedies, but I don't think the approach is entirely similar. "Superbad" is cruder, ruder, a bit more focused on the sex & alcohol jokes. But it works really well because it captures that dynamic - better than "American Pie" because it invests more care into its characters. One of the strengths of "Pie" over other films in its genre (such as, say, "Slackers") has always been its characters, and "Superbad" similarly relies on its characters for support. Plus, it's just really funny.

The performances all around are pretty funny, even if the Fogell/McLovin pop culture references are ruining a good joke (kind of like "Yeah, baby!!" ruined Austin Powers when 20-year-old frat boys around the country thought it would be funny to shout the phrase every five seconds).

Jonah Hill and Michael Cera have great chemistry and another one of the strengths of this film is that its teenage characters actually do look their age (even though Hill is in his early 20s, he still passes as a senior). But it was Bill Hader and Seth Rogen who stole the show for me as the clueless cops.

Overall this is just a funny, well-made film with heart. It doesn't mock its characters or their predicaments but casts a knowing eye on the high school experience. It captures all this very well and was certainly, in my opinion, far superior to "Knocked Up."

Page 1 of 56:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]