IMDb > "Dexter" Popping Cherry (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dexter: Popping Cherry (#1.3)"

"Dexter" Popping Cherry (2006)

« Prev | 3 of 96 Episodes | Next »

A Good Development of the Plot

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2 March 2009

When pieces of the body of a woman is found in a hokey rink in Miami, Debra recognizes the victim as Cherry, an acquaintance while she worked undercover as prostitute. During her investigation with the other whore, she discovers that the last client of Cherry was driving an old station wagon. However, the ambitious Lt. Laguerta assigns the entire department to seek out the security guard believing that he could be the serial killer. Meanwhile a drug-dealer takes Rita's car to pay the debts of her former husband. Dexter recalls his first victim, a nurse that was poisoning his sick stepfather, while he chases a teenager under probation. A group of vigilantes decide to make justice against the drug lord Carlos Guerrero and frame Sergeant Doakes.

This third episode offers a good development of the plot with the mysterious serial-killer and develops the lead character a little bit more. I expected that Dexter retrieved Rita's car killing the scum that steal it; however, his recollections about his first murder with the participation of Denise Crosby is great. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Abuso" ("Abuse")

Fuzzy Dice

Author: s k from United States
2 September 2010

This was a tough show for me to watch. From the moment Dexter let the guy just drive away with Rita's car I was thinking WTH?!!! It wasn't until the final 30 seconds that I said: "Aaaah...that's better".

But the show was not without its flaws. Dexter, with all his ingenuity, can't figure out a way to at least know how/when the serial killer is getting into his room?

And the one thing that became abundantly clear in this episode as Dexter was dealing with Jeremy Downs, the kid in the halfway house -- is that any time you go down a vigilante road you end up playing G-d. (i.e. you end up deciding who should live and who should die) And invariably...since humans do not possess the proper wisdom, things always go awry.

I can see why this series has polarized people -- you either really like it, or you really don't. I am probably in the minority because I feel ambivalent about the show. The amoral side of me likes it; the rest of me does not.

Enticing!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
14 August 2013

The third episode of season 1, "Popping Cherry" has less action, but more character development which is always good. We see Dexter from his humble beginnings as he commits his first kill, whom was a nurse who he believed was poisoning his foster father. I was fascinated by this scene and I was wondering the first few episodes if we were going to see this.

This episode has Dexter going after a teenage murderer who was paroled, his sister Debra believes that "The Ice Truck Killer" is not the person they are going for, Rita has her car stolen by her ex-husband's criminal associate, and Sgt. Doakes is going after a drugpin the hard way.

Overall, this is an excellent episode with some very interesting moments. I liked how we learn more about Dexter. The action may have ceased, but not my level of interest. I rate this episode 9/10.

Episode number three: 'Popping Cherry'

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
2 August 2013

This very enjoyable episode of the series gives us even more insight into the character of Dexter, showing us more scenes from his past. Michael C. Hall is as engaging as ever, and the rest of the cast is equally fun to watch. The ice cream truck killer is still at large and has left their latest victim propped up in the net at a hockey arena. After looking at the security camera footage, the cops think that they've got their man but Debra isn't convinced. One of her old acquaintances from her days of working vice offers a lead, which she aggressively pursues. Meanwhile, poor Rita has to deal with the mess left by her ex-husband and has her car taken away by a criminal associate as payment for an old deal. Doakes is set up by his fellow officers to take a fall. And Dexter moves on to his latest target, a kid who'd killed years ago and is now out on probation. What happens when Dexter finds out the truth about the kid is just one nifty moment in 'Popping Cherry'. We see a flashback with Dexter and Debra interacting with foster father Harry who believes that he's uncovered a human monster, a person who would make the ideal first human victim for Dexter. It's nice to see guest star Denise Crosby in this chilling role. Dexter, naturally, is a little sloppy at the beginning of his murder spree, so it's cool and interesting to see some of his humble beginnings. There's not that much overt violence in this episode, which may disappoint some viewers; it's all about developing the characters and the story here. There is some raunchy humour, as Detective Batista and Masuka explain the aspect of sex "bronco" style. All in all, things move along very well here.

About equal to the last episode, but for different reasons

Author: chillwill92
21 February 2011

While this episode is about the equivalent of "Crocodile", it contains far less violence. This episode continues the Ice Truck Killer story, bringing in a possible suspect, though some members of Miami Metro have doubts over its validity (namely, Deb). It also grants us flashbacks to Dexter's first days as a killer, while Harry is ill in the hospital. It also continues Doakes' side story involving Carlos Guerrero and his affair with a fellow cop's wife. Doakes' fellow cops turning on him was a nice plot twist, and greatly improves this slightly out-of-place side story. All in all, season 1 continues to roll, though the fans of all the killings in the last episode will be somewhat disappointed as this one goes for the drama instead of the jugular.

Dexter - Popping Cherry

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
31 August 2013

In this excellent episode, following up a rather average second episode, we see in flashback further introduction to The Code of Harry (allowing him to finish off a dying deer he shot with his rifle) as well as an "angel of death" (a nurse played by Denise Crosby of Star Trek: The Next Generation & Pet Sematary) who Harry (James Remar) realizes is "stroking" other patients, increasing their morphine. Rita's abusive deadbeat husband (now in jail) owed money to a "collector"; he comes to collect, and she just allows him to drive off in her SUV. Dexter did nothing but stand there, but he seemed willing to help her get in touch with the local authorities (Rita isn't interested. She just wants it all (the past) to go away). Dexter picks up a "gangsta ride" from auction as a temporary vehicle until she can afford a new car…it comes with bright red interior and a portrait of Jesus painted on the hood! The ice truck killer is becoming more flamboyant with each appearance of dead body parts, having a night watchman who was security of a major hockey arena place them in a goal to further exploit his sick handiwork. LaGuerta seems persistent in going before the media (she loves the spotlight her position provides in news coverage) and informing John Q Public that the night watchman is their prime suspect, certain to infuriate the serial killer wanting the prestige of his notoriety not credited to someone obviously not educated in chemistry to pull these murders/body displays off. Dexter sets his eyes on a new prey…a kid getting out of jail—responsible for murdering someone—could be looking to savage another victim. When it appears the kid may be about to stab a teenager his age near a place where gators frequent, Dex actually intervenes on the would-be victim's behalf, later pondering (this after barely avoiding a gator attack!) why he would place himself in the position of dictating a matter of life and death. The ongoing disconnect between LaGuerta and Debra is detailed: while LaGuerta insists on looking at the night watchman as the killer, she believes he drives a station wagon (as her "girls" (hookers she worked alongside while undercover on Vice) tell her of the named victim getting in it prior to her death) and wouldn't blatantly reveal his identity on a security camera. Going to Captain Matthews, and not reporting up the chain of command to LaGuerta, about a second theory regarding the ice truck killer, Debra gets a scolding and is told that her father, Harry, would have never pulled such a stunt. Meanwhile, Doakes has gained some enemies in the police department for screwing around with the dead cop's deceased wife, and they frame him for a home invasion of drug kingpin , Guerrero (Doakes makes a really unwise decision to question Guerrero's daughter at a celebration dinner in front of invited friends and family, pretty much putting a target on his chest). Seeing Harry worse for wear (hardened arteries ultimately take his life, but he lives a year longer than he would have if Dex hadn't of taken care of Nurse Mary (it wasn't so controlled on the first time, or as Dex put it, the murder was "a bit messy")) is rather humbling, but Remar's quiet grace and soft-spoken manner with Dexter, even as he realizes that this young man would perhaps lead a long life as a serial killer, gives this character a level of respectability he might not have otherwise, considering what he knows and hadn't reported about his son. Dexter's bond with Rita's kids, and helpful assistance as her career (and the lack of a vehicle, having to use the bus) interferes with picking them up from school and visiting social workers (because of the domestic violence that threatened to derail their growth), might be considerable detriments to raising her family, has been a subplot explored with significant importance in the first season of this series…escaping her past might not be so easy, particularly because of her husband's baggage. Dexter's near escalation in making the kid a part of his blood spot slide collection is an example of how his selection process isn't altogether flawless.

Rita: I can't help it, I kill things. Dexter: "That must be awful."

Author: antisocial1
20 December 2010

A "bronco" hehe, Masuka and Batista explain it to Dexter and slutty Deb walks up and already knows, "what, a bronco". ;]

Doing flashbacks using the same actors as in the present is not a good idea. This is not a sci-fi show where the characters don't age, the hospital scene just doesn't work, they don't pass as kids. Though the scene where Dex attacks the nurse is funny.

Quite a few good scenes of Dex with Rita and the kids in this, could of done with more of that than the whole Jeremy Downs plot, he is not exactly a likable character, could of killed him at least!

Another good episode, but falls a bit short of anything special.

Engaging

Author: s_l_wood from Canada
26 May 2010

This episode got me hooked on Dexter. I was intrigued by the premise of the show, a man with a compulsion to kill being careful to choose victims who themselves are killers, and enjoyed getting to know Dexter in the first couple episodes. However, the series really came to life in this episode, as compelling subplots were introduced. The subplot in this episode involves a colleague of Dexters named Doakes investigating a powerful gangster. It starts off conventionally, but when Doakes gets involved with some other cops things quickly become both complicated and disastrous for Doakes, as well as gripping for the viewer. As I watched this subplot unfold I did not want to blink as I was so thrilled by it. I also realized that what I thought was a show with a great idea was actually a great show. Well done Showtime!

All Talk, No Serial Killing …

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
11 November 2007

The very first episode already made clear "Dexter" definitely wouldn't become the greatest show on television ever, but at least it had several things going for it. Michael C. Hall is a terrific actor, there was a lot of blood and gory set-pieces and it had cynical humor and a seemingly fascinating ongoing search for a serial killer that drains all the blood from his victims' bodies. In between all his forensics work, supporting his cop-sister and upholding appearances with a divorced mother of two, Dexter found the time to personally go after criminals that somehow escaped their legal punishment. "Popping Cherry" is only the third episode, but all the aforementioned good stuff has already vanished. This episode represents 50 minutes of sheer dullness, as all Dexter and his colleagues do is talk, talk and talk. The Ice Truck Killer made a new victim and proudly exhibits her bloodless leftovers in the Miami ice hockey stadium. Debra's supervisors think they found a suspect in the sport dome's night watchman but they're wrong. Meanwhile, Dexter – suffering from long & tedious flashbacks as always – observes a youthful criminal who's released from prison but will kill again. There are no blood analyzes in this installment, no pitch-black jokes or witty remarks and no action! It was boring and the main story lines feel like they're stretched needlessly, because there's nothing else to tell. I hope the show will get better again really fast, otherwise I'm giving up.