IMDb > Capers (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Capers More at IMDbPro »

Under more assured hands this could have been a better movie.

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
11 December 2009

Capers is the original title & it had a few festival showings.

It was properly released for DVD Rentals & Sales, without any theatrical showings in 'multiplexes'.

The screenplay was written by Brett Halsey & the director Julian M.Kheel. They are newcomers. There lack of film-making experience is easily seen.

Three separate groups of 'nincompoops' plan to & do rob a rundown pawnshop at same time on same day. The owner of said pawnshop gave each group a recent hard time. Said owner is a real nasty female (witch spelled with a b).

Under surer hands this could have been a much better comic satire.

The cast is mostly from Television & not that well known, Danny Masterson & Leon (I think he is a rapper) head this rather large cast,

We have seen these character done many times over the years, There are some funny amusing scenes, none really stand out. It is easy to see why it went directly to DVD. Running time is only 85 minutes including credits.

This is another example of a film that belongs on the lower half of a double bill.

Rent this for showing with an other film.

Ratings: ** (out of 4) 62 points(out of 100) IMDb 5 (out of 10)

First full-length feature.... and it's GREAT!

Author: grodyzo from Fort Lauderdale, FL
12 November 2008

If you have a chance to catch this movie at one of the other festivals, it's definitely a must-see. Of the movies I saw at the festival, this was by far the bast. I was a little apprehensive, knowing that this was the writers' and director's first full length, about the laugh meter but those worries were quickly put to rest in the first few minutes. The character development was definitely at the right pace. The settings, or feel, for all three "groups" were exquisitely done with the use of color, wardrobe, film type and camera angles. Very unique! By far though, the script was simple, great comedy. I wasn't the only one laughing trust me. The theater was small, but very well filled, around 100-120, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. At least it sure sounded like they did. :-) All I can say is "See it!". You will undoubtedly hear about these creators in the future.

Hilarious!

Author: samjd from United States
11 November 2008

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to view Capers during the Fort Lauderdale (Florida) Film Festival. Capers is a must-see movie, especially for current or former New Yorkers. This movie is funny for a wide range of audiences, though. The characters are over-the-top versions of their real-life counterparts, especially the owner of the pawn shop. The movie is not "typical" by any standards. It is an extraordinary and unusual creation. The music is ultra-appropriate and original. As soon as this movie is released widely, please rush to see it! I rarely laugh at any movie or TV show, but I thought Capers was hysterical, so my recommendation is authentic.