IMDb > Dick Richards (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dick Richards More at IMDbPro »

A reporter slowly uncovers the seedy truth about an ominous Hollywood casting agency.

Author: djt80918 from United States
15 July 2006

I saw this indie when it was released, and I managed to score a copy on DVD a few years later to my delight. I believe it's destined for cult status. 'Dick Richards' is a little gem that you can watch several times and still enjoy something you missed on the previous viewings. The story itself, beginning as a reporter's seemingly meandering investigation of a possible Hollywood scam, builds with deliciously dark wit to a jolting ending that manages to be at once chilling and hilarious. The pacing is perfection. The performers in both the starring and supporting roles are a riot. The script is a hoot. Julie, played with quirky poignancy by the then-unknown Ashley Judd, is fun -- and Mark Pelligrino as BoyToy is a kick (most recently starring as Dick Hickock in 'Capote').

After seeing this movie, I had nightmares about hand puppets and visiting the beach before breakfast for weeks. Well worth the time and money spent, which is really saying something these days.

I liked it

Author: Murtle-T from United States
14 July 2006

Hard movie to find, but well worth the time. Sounded a little bizarre to me...but I was pleasantly surprised. Ashley Judd's appearance was a shocker.

I saw this at the first Playhouse West Film Festival way back in the 90's. I was curious since I heard Ms. Judd was in it (I thought that was a joke, but it wasn't). She's only in a couple of scenes. The real star of this is Brian Lally who plays the reporter. His presence makes the whole oddity believable.

It's an underground film, which means that it's almost impossible to find now. Hopefully it will resurface someday.