IMDb > "Blade: The Series" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Blade: The Series"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Blade: The Series" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Blade still strong after the films

Author: Chris M (imchrisru@yahoo.com) from Smithtown, NY
5 July 2006

I loved the first two episodes of Blade, it's a great show with a great character. Jones does a good job as Blade, he's defiantly different than Snipes, but does a good job. The supporting cast is interesting, the story is as good as you'd expect it to be for a TV show. This pretty much leaves off a while after the Blade films (which I loved), keeping the movies as part of the past. The style that it is filmed seems very much like a movie, I love how it looks. It's a good show with a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to tonight episode. Pretty much if you liked all of the 3 Blade films, you will love this show.

It has potential...

Author: rayzorfist from United States
5 July 2006

This series has some potential.

No, it's not the Blade movies, it is different. And that can be a good thing.

Once "Sticky" makes the role his own and stops trying to act like Wesley Snipes' Blade character, I think his role and his acting will improve.

The rest of the folks do a decent acting job and the story looks like it has an arc that can last a while. The supporting cast looks pretty strong. If Spike gives it a chance to develop an audience, I think it can stick around a few seasons.

Consider other titles that appeared shaky at first but went on to strong showings: Firefly, Buffy, heck, even Star Trek, TNG had a pretty shaky start but eventually the actors and writers found the characters and they developed them richly.

I'm Hooked

Author: terren8556 from United States
1 August 2006

When I discovered that "Blade" was going to be made into a series, I was extremely skeptical; I didn't go out of my way to watch it when it first aired. That being said, I am extremely grateful that decided to watch the July 26 episode. I am all the more grateful that Spike, during that episode, announced their Sunday marathon, and that I watched. The storyline is extremely interesting and imaginative (the "ash" drug was an ingenious idea), and very intelligent.

"Sticky," while no Wesley Snipes, pulls off his portrayal quite well, and seems to be growing into the role; I think he'll only get better over time, and truly make "Blade" his own. Also, I like that the writers make it harder for his Blade than Wesley Snipes' portrayal, in that his encounters with them are not, consistently, one-sided massacres. The Krista character (aka Jill Wagner) is an absolute gem of a find. Very believable not only as an ex Iraq veteran, but as someone struggling with the hand she's been dealt, and with the inherent conflicts that come with it. Van Sciver and Chase are yet additional examples of excellent casting. Jessica Gower nails the Chase character as the ruthless and sadistic enforcer, and Neil Jackson portrays Van Sciver perfectly as the outwardly elegant but ruthless, ambitions operator--it is clear that he has ulterior motives coming out of his ears.

And that incredible child character, the pure-blood vampire "boss," was absolutely riveting, and from the second she entered the story. Hopefully we'll see plenty more of her. She looks absolutely frightening.

Am anxious to see more dimension to the Blade character--in fact, I think, that is going to be essential to the long-term success of the series. While interesting, he is not, by a long shot, among the most fascinating and intriguing characters we've been introduced to--and it's his series, after all. His sidekick (Nelson Lee)--who is clearly fearless and dedicated--is also sorely in need of more development; I'd like to know what drives him, as well. Since this is to be a series, however, there's time (hopefully) to take care of those essential elements.

Overall, "Blade" the series far exceeded my expectations; hopefully it will be on long enough to reach its full potential. As I've stated, I'm hooked.

Really enjoyed it!

Author: AbbiNormal from United States
10 July 2006

I myself was a skeptic of this series, because I enjoyed the movies a lot and didn't want the series to ruin that. I listened to Howard Stern the other day and he was raving about the series, and said "if you can get over the fact that it isn't Wesley Snipes, then you will really enjoy this show." And I completely agree I watched it for the first time last night and it was awesome. Watching this show is like jumping into the comic, dark and twisted.It is very different because you don't hate the bad guy Marcus, you almost feel for him, and there is a mystery about him because he has sympathy but is very powerful and strong.It great because it has a little of everything plenty of action, blood, skin and good plots. So everyone should give this show a try, once you do you will be sucked in (no pun intended.)

What a Worthy Series!

Author: don-w-abel from United States
7 July 2006

I have seen the first 3 episodes and am already hooked. Kirk Jones definitely has what it takes to pull off the role of Blade. He's got the physique and the presence albeit not quite like Wesley's. Jill Wagner's character has a somewhat physically demanding role but she is in outstanding shape ;) and pulls it off with the greatest of ease (at least from the viewers' perspective).

I am looking forward to seeing how close "Krista" can get to the pure bloods. I doubt she will meet the same fate as her brother for a multitude of reasons. So here's a thought: She is now 'Hominis Nocturna'. Blade is half and half. They have both taken the serum and both hate vampires. Neither of them has a love interest. (OK Marcus has it bad for her but that will never happen.) There is a lot of common ground developing. Maybe we'll see a little something between the two? This show rocks. I'll be pushing for another season.

Great show. Prevented the franchise from sinking.

Author: GabeShadow
17 August 2006

When I first saw various pop-ups about the TV series, I was a bit skeptical in Kirk "Sticky Fingaz" Jones being capable of playing the role of the title character, but after seeing a few episodes, he had some potential, although having a bumpy start. However, after a few episodes more, he did manage to shine and was almost on the same level as Wesley Snipes.

Story: The story takes place some time after Blade Trinity. Blade heads to Detroit to finish the war with the vampires, starting with the House of Cthon (led by Neil Jackson). Other than blade, it also follows the P.O.V. of an Iraq war veteran named Krista Starr (played by Jill Wagner), who just came back home only to find out that her brother was murdered under questionable circumstances. Starr's investigation eventually ends up with her discovery of vampires, and forms an unofficial partnership with Blade. Everything else from that point on starts to formulate on its own.

Among various sub-plots, one of the episodes was dedicated to exploring Blade's unexplained past from the movies.

Acting: The acting was decent, and thankfully, there was no bad spots at all. Other than Sticky having a rough start acting the role for the title character, he really managed to retain the character's "hate everything he sees including himself" attitude that Blade fans know and love.

This is a definite must-see for Blade fans, and would wash out any bad tastes the fans had with the movie sequels.

All in all a good show

Author: ntooks92797 from United States
9 July 2006

I think the show has potential.

It has a good story line so far. It will be interesting to see the story progress as the season continues. I like the actors playing Krista and Marcus. They have nice chemistry.

However, the actor playing Blade needs a little work. He's trying too hard to duplicate Wesley Snipes, making it difficult to understand his lines. Maybe he needs to enunciate or maybe it's just hard for him to speak with fangs...? Either way, he needs a speech coach.

All in all it's a good show if you're a fan of vampire movies or Buffy/Angel type shows.

Not bad!

Author: bigska from Canada
13 July 2006

I really didn't expect much when I first started watching the pilot, but I am pleased to say I was interested enough to watch the next episode, which I liked a bit better. I think that the length of the intro was a bit too long, and the story seemed to flow better in the second. However, the third was even better. Now this is saying a lot, considering I really wasn't a big fan of the movies. I find Kirk "Sticky" Jones much less annoying than Wesley Snipes, better looking, and without the awful hairdo. As a nice plus it's got a really cool intro. The story is getting progressively more interesting. I'll definitely continue to watch!

Give it a chance. It gets good. Hooked by the 5th episode.

Author: kdean-5 from United States
27 September 2006

I wasn't sure if I'd like it at first. I was worried it would be a silly action show with no plot, bad acting, and no depth. Even after watching the pilot, I was hesitant, and I didn't watch any more for awhile. But I did record the first season(DVR). Later, when I had more time, I went back and watched a few more episodes, in order. I got hooked. My conclusion: It's not a silly action show as one might expect. A good story develops into a great one, with a lot of intrigue and mystery. To me, its a little bit like ALIAS meets UNDERWORLD. I hope people give it a chance. There just aren't many shows like this on TV. We lost DARK ANGEL and other good shows. Hopefully this one will stick around. While I like Smallville and watch it religiously, it's nice to watch something a little darker with less teenage drama. I'm a fan of a certain kind of vampire story -- like UNDERWORLD, VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE, KINDRED THE EMBRACED, and BLADE. So, this new series is satisfying me and I hope it stays. Jill Wagner's character Krista Starr was a brilliant idea. She is a very good, very necessary, character for the series. If it was just Blade and his sidekick, I believe the series would fail quickly. And, Jessica Gower's character, Chase, is great! Scary, striking, beautiful, and very memorable. I'm also fond of Neil Jackson's character, Marcus. A good choice. So there you go, a good ALIAS/UNDERWORLD show, with Marcus, Krista and Chase as my personal favorites (so far).

Great show!

Author: cscherrey from United States
13 August 2006

While I missed the first show, I saw the second one and was hooked. The show is improving dramatically over the weeks and has A LOT of potentital.

It seems the biggest complaint about the show is that it is not the movie. Admittedly, I enjoyed the first movie and the others were okay. But, I can't say I was in love with the movie. In fact, I was not going to watch the series because I did not care for the movie. But, I happened on it one Wed. Turns out, it is very different from the movie, but I actually REALLY enjoyed it. IMO it has more depth in the characterizations than the movie. So, I would suggest people give the show a try.

I also believe that the TV Blade is going a better and better job with his craft! I have no doubts he will continue to improve. Personally, I like him as Blade. He brings a depth to the part that I didn't feel was there before.

So, in short, its a great show and give it a chance!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]