IMDb > Kenny (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Move Over Superman - Kenny is a True Hero

Author: michael-pittman from Australia
12 August 2006

We saw an advanced screening of Kenny tonight.

It is hilariously funny, utterly charming and - at times - heart-breakingly honest. The quality of the script and dialogue is only surpassed by the acting.

Kenny is completely believable as a character and typifies the very best qualities of Australian culture, particularly that of the hard-working bloke, in my opinion. It's nice to watch a movie about a genuinely good guy.

Kenny is a hero who shows audiences that doing a hard job well, with justifiable pride, deserves respect - regardless of what the job entails.

Loved it.

Brilliant warm and funny comedy / drama

Author: parden from Australia
28 July 2006

At last a simple Ozzie film like The Castle. Shane Jacobsen the star and a writer delivers a portrayal of a humble man with warmth and integrity. He supplies and maintains portable toilets to all types of functions. He does his job with pride and dignity. He talks to the audience while going about his daily chores. In many comedies I crack a smile. In this one a laughed out loud. I loved him.

The film was made with a very modest budget and shows what is wrong with many of the current Hollywood fare. You don't make good films with a lot of money. You make them with good scripts and talented actors etc.

Very funny and very Australian

Author: David Kimber from Australia
18 August 2006

Very funny and very Australian. Kenny has many funny things to say and has a great outlook on life, highly recommended. The sense of humour may be too Australian for some American tastes, but I'm sure that the British will definitely take to the character of Kenny and the other slightly oddball but very realistic characters that inhabit the film. The mockumentary style approach works very well, possibly to the point where if i didn't know it was actors portraying the characters, I wouldn't of been able to tell the difference. The character of Kenny is very much a typical working class man, just going about his business cleaning toilets, but he could be in any profession for all it matters as he is a very identifiable with character. His adventures as chronicled in the film make for interesting viewing, and for a comedy, it has some quite moving and sentimental scenes that help to broaden the potential audience of this gem of a film.

So believable, it has Aussies guessing

Author: Jsue from United States
15 November 2006

While in Australia I was advised to watch this movie because it had been so well received by the viewers in Australia that many people were wanting to know MORE about Kenny. Who is he? Exactly where does he live? ... and such!

I was fascinated the entire time with Kenny. Shane Jacobson is as honest in his role as Kenny as Kenny is in dealing with his life. His interaction with every character is consistently humble, kind, patient and simply inspiring.

Who knew that porta-potties could be such serious business. It certainly increased my respect for people who do this sort of work, while entertaining me.

The writers and directors and actors did a wonderful job of making me care about this big, lovable, hug-able man. I hoped so much that he'd "get the girl" in the end. I'm glad they gave us closure on this.

You will be glad you watched this movie. It's mock-umentary at its very best! And then when you add that wonderful, warm, positive Australian zest for life...it becomes a "must see" in my book!

Possibly the best mockumentary ever

Author: Paul Martin from Melbourne, Australia
30 October 2006

The funniest Australian comedy since Muriel's Wedding – I laughed so much it had me in tears. In fact, the most of the audience were laughing. This was brilliantly conceived and executed. It had realism to the extent that the person who saw it with me thought it was an actual documentary. The humour was so good-natured, intelligent, authentic, full of irony and contained different layers of reality. The depictions of family life were terrific – the ex-wife, the miserable father, the intolerant brother (played by the real-life brother and director of the film).

The authenticity was enhanced by being filmed on location at actual events such as the Melbourne Cup and the Cleaners and Pumpers Convention in Nashville, Tennessee. The film is naturally full of toilet humour, but not as we are accustomed to. It was really underplayed in a natural, inoffensive and genuinely funny manner.

I didn't intend seeing this film, thinking it would be just another run-of-the-mill feel-good comedies. I went because I had free tickets, and I'm so glad I did. It is highly original and well worth paying to see this real gem of a film that really encapsulates aspects of Australian humour and culture. Kenny is proof that you don't need a big budget to produce a really entertaining film.

Funnier than bum full of m&m's

Author: Starry from Melbourne, Australia
2 September 2006

This mockumentary is great for a laugh. it's the sort of movie you go to with a group of friends and have some good out-loud belly laughs. There are so many one-liners in here that I'll have to wait till its out on DVD to note them down. However, amidst all the hilarity and pooh, Kenny is a sensitive bloke who has family problems like all of us. He is a real, regular bloke! This film also stands as an indictment on society. It brings the silver-tails back to earth with a resounding "plop" After all, everyone has to cr*p!! The final scene (not counting those in the credits) is a re-make of an old classic revenge prank that looses nothing in it's reworking. Loved Kenny's dad!

Perfect.

Author: fabfam3 from Australia
11 October 2006

I first saw 'Kenny' simply to kill time. The idea of it just didn't appeal to me. A bloke who cleans toilets? I've seen diseases that sounded more entertaining.

And yet I have never killed better time in my life. IMDb users throw the term around frequently, so it may not mean much but i honestly consider this the greatest movie ever filmed. Film companies worldwide have spent millions in attempts to convey a soul. A genuine person, on celluloid. They invariably fail, and you are left with a movie about a man. 'Kenny' is not a movie about a man. As you watch it you feel an indescribable connection with Kenny, as a friend or even a hero. He is real, as if you are not watching him but living through him.

You find yourself jumping in your seat at his successes. You clap and cheer as you laugh at his jokes. Your heart sinks with his pain.

Whereas in any other film you would feel embarrassed roaring with laughter in a movie theatre, while watching Kenny the entire cinema roars with you. I can find no "technical" explanation for what is so good about 'Kenny'. The camera-work could have been achieved by a toddler with a camcorder. There are no special effects. Unfortunately it is simply impossible to explain the factor that makes this movie so good. Did he save the world and thrill us?. Did he become entangled in some dramatic survival situation, madman's plot, or forbidden love?. No, he does nothing special, and so you connect with him. Kenny could be the bloke you are sitting next to. The guy you bump into on the street, or the guy you used to tease in school. Maybe at heart you are him...

Im droning on so ill finish briefly; the words do not exist to convey the brilliance of this movie but hopefully it will suffice to say that, although no one was actually there to receive our applause, the cinema gave a standing ovation after the film, and anyone who can see this movie and not fall in love with it defies my understanding.

Kenny, HILARIOUS

Author: carolethecatlover from Sydney, Australia
25 August 2006

Kenny the Dunny man. A mockumentary of Australian Proportions. The cinema was very empty at 10.30am, I worked nightshift. But all 11 people were howling with laughter in the first minute and didn't stop. It really cheered me up, after 24 hours in a dementia ward. This film should be medically prescribed for the clinically depressed. You need to think about his job, could any other job have such potential for humour? OK, it might not work in the rest of the world...(but why do I keep thinking of Canfantalas?) We Aussies have an overdeveloped sense of the absurd. But if you are in need of a belly laugh see it, or take it instead of Lithium.

Go forth and conquer, Kenny!

Author: amanda from Montreal, Canada
13 January 2007

This is a truly wonderful film. The acting, direction and camera-work really give it a realistic and believable feel - I actually forgot that the film was fictional while watching it. I resent a comment posted earlier on this site suggesting that this film should only be released in Australia because they are the only ones who can truly appreciate it. That's exactly the mentality that keeps these types of authentic, quirky movies struggling and big budget airhead movies so comfortable. Being Canadian does not necessarily mean I can only appreciate Canadian film, and Canadian film has no place in the global market - that's ridiculous! "Kenny" is a perfect example of a small film with a very particular focus and a healthy approach to local charm and quirkiness. Whether you've heard any of his hilarious expressions before or not, they will still be adorably funny. The characters are genuine, the story is charming and the artistic vision is strong. Obviously different cultures will appreciate films differently but I really believe that this film merits as much success as it can find. I hate to gush but really, this movie deserves much props.

A gem in poo corner

Author: Philby-3 from Sydney, Australia
15 October 2006

The mockumentary format, mostly seen on TV in shows like "People Like Us" (though Christopher Guest in "Spinal Tap" pioneered the form in film), is still novel enough to spring a few surprises. Shane Jacobson as Kenny the Melbourne port-a–loo man is both a surprise and a pleasure. Filmed on a shoestring budget, this film's cheeky manner and adroit editing kept me engaged to the end.

No public event is too big for Kenny and his team as they cater for the lavatorial needs of the public at pop concerts, motor races, sports events and in the grand finale, the Melbourne Cup. In the meantime the good-natured Kenny has to cope with an ex-wife meaner than a junkyard dog, a son he needs to see more of, a difficult and demanding elderly father and less than satisfactory employees. One good piece of fortune does come his way when he scores a trip to Nashville, Tennessee, to a grand poo-collector's convention and meets a nice young lady who's actually interested in him. The plot is a bit on the corny side but that doesn't matter – it's the humour that counts.

As with most mockumentaries the narration plays against what the characters are actually doing, but the dissonance sneaks up on you. Kenny however is not deluded like Ricky Gervais' character "David Brent" in the office – he is a realist. He is also immensely likable. Usually with mockumentaries there is a cringe factor as the hapless protagonist blunders from one faux pas to another (witness David Brent), but that's not the case here. Despite his private life Kenny is immensely capable at work and with him around we know things will turn out all right. Whether it's a ring down the toilet, arson-minded speedway fans, or the victim of a buck's night chained to one of his units, we are confident Kenny will sort it out, the fun is in how.

I hate the expression "gem" but that's what this film is. It's a celebration of the Australian working man, with truth as well as humour. Kenny's final revenge-taking on an arrogant motorist who had boxed his truck in seemed a little out of character, but perhaps justified in the circumstances.

P.S. SNOB ALERT: The upper classes are portrayed as having very little charm indeed.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]