IMDb > Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

I really enjoyed it!

Author: james211967 from United Kingdom
13 May 2009

I payed my money and saw this movie expecting a laugh and to leave with a smile on my face. I wasn't expecting Oscar acting, a great storyline or something that would leave a lasting impression on me.

The performances were good, I especially enjoyed Michael Douglas's glam OTT character. The main actors also impressed and I was drawn into their romance as the film went on. So much so that I shed a little tear at the end.

When I left the cinema I was smiling and during the movie I laughed out loud along

with many other people. I got what I paid for and had a good night.

Not that bad!

Author: jonhamms from Canada
7 May 2009

Seriously what did you really expect from this movie its a romantic comedy! I'm so angry because everyone destroys this movie for no reason. I'm no big fan of McConaughey but in this movie i really felt he was himself the big lady charmer. Garner was absolutely fantastic she was awesome and beautiful. Now what i think about the movie. This was an enjoyable funny movie, not an academy award film but certainly a movie to watch. You don't need to be a big fan of Mattew McConaughey to see this movie, but it would helps. Little to no surprises in the plot, but then who ever sees romantic comedy for the plot? I had some good laugh. These two have great chemistry and are just amazing to watch. As the story unfolds you will laugh and cry at the brilliance of such an amazing storyline. A must see!!

I liked the movie

Author: trig51 from United States
11 May 2009

The film started out a little slowly but began to move well. I thought that there was really good chemistry between the two main characters. I liked the film for its well conveyed message about commitment and what it means to care for people. In order to receive you need to give and vice versa. The film used Dickens as a clever vehicle for its plot and it worked for me anyway. I am not saying the film is a classic but it was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours and I definitely would recommend it to people I know. I thought that the acting was terrific and the characters were well developed. I think the film is definitely worth seeing.

Nont quite rom-com

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
4 May 2009

For a rom-com, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past is as dramatic as it could be, more Dickens than Apatow. Matthew McConaughey as womanizer Connor Mead is type cast as a rake waiting to be changed into a loving human being, The plot with returning dead lovers to teach him a lesson about having feelings is not quite as exotic as it sounds, for it is a device mainly to show him as a callow youth squiring and losing the love of his life, Jenny Perotti (Jennifer Garner). The drama is the disaster he makes of his brother's wedding and the tears he witnesses from the women he has seduced and left.

Since we all know enjoying casual sex is a no-no for descendants of Puritans, the outcome of the ghostly apparitions' lessons is secure in cliché land. Following the party line about scoundrels getting what they deserve is ghost of Uncle Wayne, a sort of Gordon Gekko gone good, an oily ex-Lothario played with relish by another spot-on bit of casting, Michael Douglas. His flowing hair and Hollywood-tinted big glasses call to mind producer Robert Evans (The Kid Stays in the Picture). Although Uncle Wayne is a recovered womanizer, at least for now, his speeches about loneliness and broken hearts ring true only for the moment, but long enough to affect the hero.

It's an enjoyable film with a smart cast, a preposterous story but a serious message about true love and selflessness. Not quite a romantic comedy, but very close indeed.

It has moments but once you know the premise you could write this yourself

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
3 May 2009

Lothario photographer goes to attend his brothers wedding. In the course of the evening he manages to ruin the up coming nuptials. That night as he tries to sleep he's visited by various ghosts who effectively show him, ala Scrooge, the error of his ways and the true love of his life. Unoriginal romantic comedy stars Matthew McConaughey who gives it his best shot but its not quite enough. The problem is that once you know the premise you can pretty much write the rest yourself. Okay you may not have come up with Michael Douglas as one of the ghosts Uncle Wayne (based on Robert Evans?), but you could probably come up with the rest. Its not bad but I couldn't believe that anyone would pay to see it. (Admittedly I wandered in from one theater to another when the movie I paid for proved to be a bust, so I can say I split the cost, but even then I feel a little cheated.) I will say in the films defense that the speech about why the wedding should go on is a great piece of writing. Its a wonderful romantic piece on why we should not run away from love, its probably the best thing in it, and one wishes that more of the film had been up to that level (a couple of other bits are almost that good but they are fleeting). The film has left me wondering about Jennifer Garner. Her role is unremarkable and she has no real presence. Yes she is adequate but there is no star quality. Is it the role? Is it her? I don't know. I'm left to ponder why she's a star. As for the movie, if you like this sort of thing give it a shot, though I'd wait for cable.

A Nutshell Review: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
13 June 2009

For those who have played the field and sown some wild oats around town, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past might be a walk down a personal memory lane into why nothing lasts longer than possibly that first, genuine relationship. There are reasons abound why some are either commitment freaks, or just plainly wanting to chalk up a list of conquests to show off, and for top fashion photographer Connor Meat, erm I mean Mead (Matthew McConaughey), it's a run from responsibility, and the fear of never ever wanting to be hurt again.

I'm pretty sure many who have gone through a break-up would admit to having it leave some bad aftertaste, that you'd just want the upper hand the next time around when dealing with that painful, negative emotion, should and if it happens. Call it insurance, or the hardening of the heart, and if you're to subscribe to the tips shared in this film, it's preaching to love a little less if you're to walk away unscathed. This does not apply to those who are for the notion of true love, happiness and that institution called Marriage, and for a film whose protagonist celebrates and actually enjoys his freedom and singlehood, it ends with a cop-out smack in the face.

The trailer would have pretty much shown everything you need to know about the plot. For the ultimate swinger in Connor, nothing is worse than having to attend the wedding of his brother Paul (Breckin Meyer) as his best man, to toast during a ceremony he won't touch with a ten foot pole. Making it worse of course is the attendance of the only girl he has ever had genuine feelings for, his childhood and first girlfriend Jenny Perotti (Jennifer Garner). Then comes the whole shebang of A Christmas Carol proportions where Connor is visited by his dead uncle, Wayne (Michael Douglas), responsible for imparting his techniques to getting laid, who tells him that he'll be visited by three ghosts before the night is up. And for the home run, it's a determination if Connor would become a changed person and end up with the girl of his dreams (the future ghost did look hot though).

Those expecting comedy, you'll be disappointed as the jokes come off rather half-baked, making fun of best mens as nerds and bridesmaids who are horny all the time. Then there's the future father-in-law in war veteran Sergeant Volkom (Robert Forster) and his ex-wife Vonda (Anne Archer) whom Connor tries to hit (no women too young or old it seems). Those in for romance, unfortunately both McConaughey and Garner exhibit no sparks nor chemistry, perhaps the latter being all settled already as a real mom, that she's miscast as the mid-30-something still out there looking for love, and holding a candle for her childhood friend.

Director Mark Waters would be an old hand at handling ghostly apparitions in a romantic comedy, after all he had dealt with Resse Whiterspoon and Mark Ruffalo in Just Like Heaven. But his only saving grace in this movie with little surprises, is that of Michael Douglas' performance as the old-swinger Uncle Wayne, hamming it up as the adult version of Will Smith's Hitch, but with some pluses in not just wanting to establish that first hello, but going all the way for that one night stand, sharing some tips and tricks that you probably might just get lucky with.

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past turns out to be a misnomer, as Emma Stone gets to represent the countless of faceless, nameless women that Connor gets down with. As a date movie it's pretty formula, made worse by its taking a leaf from A Christmas Carol. The only element that kept me entertained, was the blast from the past moments complete with an excellent soundtrack to bring back those 80s and 90s nostalgia. See if you can spot the track 6 Underground by The Sneaker Pimps, and Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper, amongst others.

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past Movie Review from The Massie Twins

Author: GoneWithTheTwins from www.GoneWithTheTwins.com
30 April 2009

It's a cleverly comedic twist on Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, and surprisingly entertaining even though it's obviously a vehicle for Matthew McConaughey to make female audiences swoon. It's also the perfect movie to open against X-Men Origins: Wolverine - anyone not interested in the action-packed mutant extravaganza will surely take comfort in the harmlessly pleasant romantic humor of this simple tale of moral redemption.

Fashion photographer Connor Mead (Matthew McConaughey) is a typical ladies' man and playboy - the kind of jerk who breaks up with three women simultaneously via a computer conference call. And yet the girls love him, clamoring to be the next one-night-stand. He's invited by his brother Paul (Breckin Meyer) to Paul and Sandra's (Lacey Chabert) wedding, against the advice of Connor's childhood sweetheart Jenny Perotti (Jennifer Garner) and everyone familiar with his scandalous ways. She once had hopes for him, but Connor didn't want his meaningless but exciting short-lived sexual relationships to be hindered by feelings. He's like the Tin Man - born without a heart.

Mead owes his attitude primarily to his mentor Uncle Wayne (Michael Douglas), a now deceased lady-killer legend who notoriously hosted mind-numbing, clothing optional, week-long orgies in his house - he also invented the word "MILF." Through the careful tutoring of Wayne, Connor has grown up to believe love is a magical comfort food for the weak and uneducated - forever condemning a fruitful relationship with Jenny. But his theories on love are destined to change when the ghost of Uncle Wayne returns to warn him of his wicked ways, along with visits by the Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Present and Future.

The conclusion may be terribly contrived, and the plot completely predictable in its unwavering course of correcting a tarnished soul and building Connor to be contemptible in his efforts to paint love as a corrupt and hateful institution (he mean-spiritedly claims that the power of a relationship lies within whoever cares less), but the film isn't afraid to poke fun at itself. At times it's almost self-aware that it's a movie, taking themes less than seriously, and several of the purely comedic performances, including Emma Stone as the Ghost of Girlfriends Past and Douglas as womanizer Wayne, are hilariously delightful. It may be a Matthew McConaughey movie, but it's a little more open to general audiences than his usual women-only mindless mush.

- Mike Massie

A Funny Version of A Christmas Carol and Scrooge

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 March 2011

The successful fashion photographer Connor Mead (Matthew McConaughey) is a womanizer without feelings that has casual sex with every possible woman and worships his deceased wolf Uncle Wayne (Michael Douglas). The bachelor Connor travels to Massachusetts to be the best man of his younger brother Paul (Breckin Meyer) on the night before the wedding for the rehearsal. However, he tries to convince Paul to call off the wedding with Sandra (Lacey Chabert). The maid of honor Jenny Perotti (Jennifer Garner) was Connor's sweetheart when he was a teenager and he still likes her. When Connor is visited by the ghost of Uncle Wayne, he advises that Connor's life is completely wrong and he will be visited by the ghosts of his girlfriends from the past, the present and the future along the night. Connor is haunted by the ghosts; learns the causes and consequences of his attitude toward women and reevaluates his life.

"Ghosts of my Girlfriends Past" is a funny and entertaining version of Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" and "Scrooge", with feelings and love replacing greed and money. Jennifer Garner is amazingly gorgeous and the close of her face in the last scene is mesmerizing. Matthew McConaughey is hilarious in the role of a cynical bachelor and shows a great chemistry with Jennifer Garner. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Minhas Adoráveis Ex-Namoradas" ("My Lovely Ex- Girlfriends")

Simple, plain and corny

Author: barrys82 from Mexico
1 June 2009

Ghosts of Girlfriends past is the typical movie about a man in love with his all-time girl friend but he can't accept it and becomes the man that scores with all the women and dumps them the day after. A weird adaptation to Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol, I don't know if he'll be pleased to see what these people did to his novel. Its a romantic comedy that can take you away a few laughs. The idea of a story like this was interesting but they turn it to a very corny movie with a poor plot. The cast is good, the performances not so much, Matthew McConaughey is good but unfortunately he is repeating the same role over and over and its beginning to bore, Michael Douglas is great and so funny but I think he is being wasted with so little participation and Jennifer Garner is convincing enough in her role as Jenny Perotti. But not everything is bad, for example, the locations are great, the landscapes are beautiful. And I like the soundtrack, the 80's music is very cool. In conclusion, it is entertaining and enjoyable but not for a movie theater, please wait for it until it is on DVD.

A good idea, that quickly dies down fast.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
10 May 2009

Someone thought why don't we take Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol and take tiny bits of last years Maid of Honor, and you get Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. A good idea that quickly goes nowhere, It's not all funny, but mildly amusing at times.

Connor Mead(Matthew McConaughey) a famous photographer that has pretty much slept with a lot of women, some are clients. Is invited to be best man at his brother Pauls(Breckin Meyer) wedding. During that time he meets up with an old child hood friend and former lover Jenna(Jennifer Garner), and pretty much begins hitting on most of the brides maid. But is quickly visited by the ghost of his rich uncle(Michael Douglas), and tells him that he will be visited by three ghosts, in hopes that they will make him see the error of his ways.

Although the idea was good, but it went nowhere, cause it had very little laughs. Matthew McConaughey doesn't show much here in this role, he is so unlikable and makes it impossible to care about him. Jennifer Garner really surprised me here, she gave a real strong performance, and her performance was not week like it was in Catch and Release(2006). And she and McConaughey have very little chemistry. Now Emma Stone is pretty much a scene stealer as the ghost of girlfriends past, she got some laughs. But Michael Douglas's character began to wear out his presence.

A little note: Christa B. Allen who plays teenage Jenna, also starred in 13 going on 30(2004), in which she also played a teenage version of Jennifer Garner character.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]