IMDb > A Trick of the Mind (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Trick of the Mind (TV) More at IMDbPro »Mind Games (original title)

Interesting thriller

Author: vchimpanzee
15 October 2009

At the start of the movie, Jamie is in the car with her parents on a rainy night. She has never stuck with any job, and seems to have little ambition, yet her parents want her to take over their Chicago realty firm. So they are arguing and her father, who is driving, is not paying enough attention.

There is a crash. Jamie is in the hospital, her parents deceased. Josh, a lawyer from the firm, tells her she has inherited a great deal of money and he needs to know what the future of the firm will be. Jamie still wants nothing to do with the business.

Once Jamie is out, she is delusional, still feeling a great deal of guilt over what happened to her parents. She spends time in a mental institution.

After Jamie gets better, she goes to build houses with Habitat for Humanity. That's where she meets Michael, who is kind and caring and just right for Jamie. In a matter of weeks they are married and he is running her parents' firm along with Jamie. Then Jamie is contacted by a private detective named Helen who warns her Michael has a dark past. The problem is that only Jamie can see Helen. And there is no evidence of her accusations.

Michael lets Jamie talk to Mrs. Roper, the sweet old lady who raised him as a child. Surely there is nothing wrong with him. Perhaps Jamie is still having mental problems.

Meanwhile, Jamie's parents' firm will make a lot of money if they evict people from low-income housing, thanks to some less-than-honest actions by Paul. And Michael and Jamie's best friend Serena seem a little too friendly.

So is Jamie crazy? Or is there something she should know about Michael?

Alexandra Holden does a very good job. We are kept guessing for the longest time, and then we see an interesting process that leads to the truth.

Two actresses stand out from the rest. One plays Mrs. Roper, and I can't remember her first name, so I can't say who she is, which is a shame. She is wonderful. Such a sweet lady.

The other plays a friend Jamie met in the hospital. Jennifer Shirley is truly nuts, and gives this film some comedy relief.

I enjoyed it.

Predictable

Author: vr66 from Stewartstown, PA
9 August 2006

I figured out the "mystery" in the first ten minutes! All I saw was a modern version, tweaked with new plot.. version of Gaslight ('44) {OK, that might be a stretch but that's what *I* saw} The whole movie I keep trying to find SOMETHING to surprise me into not believing what I thought... but in the end, it was disappointing that what I thought.. was true. The acting... was OK, but the love story was a reach to see. I'm not up on commenting on acting... just the movie as a whole. The only surprise I saw, was how and who she actually got help from. That's the only part that kept me guessing and questioning myself as to how elaborate the plan/plot was. The movie might have done a bit better to lengthen the romance or not spread other concepts out so thin, or maybe not include so many extra details. I guess the wonderful misdirection of Sixth Sense has spoiled me. I give it only a ***1/2 because it was predictable. If you didn't see Gaslight.. I guess you'll enjoy it. I preferred the drama towards the end of the movie. Enjoy.