"Masters of Horror: We All Scream for Ice Cream (#2.10)"

"Masters of Horror" We All Scream for Ice Cream (2007)

« Prev | 23 of 26 Episodes | Next »

Silly but fun

Author: preppy-3 from United States
12 January 2007

A bunch of children accidentally kill a mentally retarded man who's selling ice cream. Years later these kids are all grown and have children. The vengeful ghost of the ice cream man returns to wreak his vengeance on the men through their children.

As you can see the story itself is pretty silly. More than once I found myself smirking at the TV while watching this. There's also some VERY clumsy exposition and pretty poor dialogue. Still I'd be lying if I said I didn't like this.

In a way it's kind of fun. The ice cream man is dressed as a clown and clowns ARE scary. There were a few shots of him that were mildly spooky. It's well-directed by Tom Holland, moves quickly (a good idea with such a silly premise) and is very well-acted by everybody. I never believed it for one second and I wasn't really scared but, in a silly way, I had fun with this. However I wouldn't let kids watch it. The clown might scare the little ones silly. I give it a 7.

A Decent Film, But Nothing Really New to Offer

Author: gavin6942 from United States
11 February 2007

Many years ago, the children of a small town accidentally killed the local ice cream man (a clown named Buster). Now all grown up, the same "kids" are being killed off and it seems that the ghost of Buster is to blame.

Many good things can be said about this film, and the nicest thing I can say is that William Forsythe (Buster the Clown) is a great actor who is not well-known. But he should be, especially with performances like this. The best parts of this episode were the children's interactions with the clown.

The visuals were also nice, with the death scenes being some of the messier ones you'll find. (Not necessarily "gory" but definitely messy.) It was like the scene in "Robocop" after the guy gets the toxic waste all over himself... yeah, you know the scene.

The biggest problem with the film, and it is all over this one, is what seems to be a lack of new ideas. Now, director "Tom Holland" has done some great films. But he's made some stinkers ("Langoliers"). So, I'll blame him even though he's working with someone else's short story. But we have the concept of a childhood accident coming back to haunt/kill the kids as adults. Not new. Some people have said it's like "Nightmare on Elm Street" because the man they killed is now talking to their kids. I can see that. I think the more obvious connection is "It" -- a clown who returns after about 20 years (although I think it was 30 in "It"). Either way, nothing really new. I did like the idea of "voodoo ice cream"... that ranks at least as cool as "The Stuff".

Clowns, ice cream, voodoo. The reason for the return is left unexplained, which makes me a bit disappointed. (Sure, I can say "The spirit wanted revenge" but that's a cop-out explanation). I've enjoyed other films less than this, but at the same time this wouldn't make my "Top 100 Horror Films", so unless you have a lot of desire to see it, just keep walking.

return to the eighties low budgets

Author: trashgang from Midian
12 June 2013

Were season one delivered what horror buffs want season two is coming to an end and so far only a few were good but most of the entries missed out what it should be. But this episode luckily delivers what I expected from Masters Of Horrors. A good story with some creepy atmosphere's and here and there some nice effects done by Berger and Nicotero.

But this episode really stands on the performance of Buster the clown by William Forsythe. The story itself is as simple as it can get. Youngsters having a prank with an ice cream delivery man dressed as a clown. But the prank is disastrous by the fact that Buster is being killed. Now all adults and having kids they are remembered by the prank due an ice cream car coming back in their lives with a revengeful spirit.

From shot one I could tell that this was right. The ice cream van coming out of the mist in slow motion with a creepy add already set the tone for this episode. It takes a bit before it really starts because you have to go into the characters of the youngsters and we do need the flashback to see what went wrong but after that it's a pure delight.

It takes you back to flicks like Body Melt (1993) or The Stuff (1985). We do actually see body melt like ice cream all done in-camera and it looked very nice. One of the better episodes together with Pelts. Kids and clowns are working it out in an icy atmosphere.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 4/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5

We All Scream For The Remote Control

Author: Bensch
12 October 2007

I have seen almost all episodes of the generally great "Masters Of Horror" series, and the episodes sure differ in quality. Some episodes (such as "Pelts", "Imprint", "The Black Cat" or "The Washingtonians") are downright brilliant, most others are highly entertaining, and some episodes disappoint. Tom Holland's "We All Scream For Ice Cream" is one of the disappointing episodes, or, more precisely, pretty much the worst episode after Ernest R. Dickerson's terrible "V-Word". Holland deserves respect for "Child's Play" and "Fright Night", but his MoH episode is sadly quite a failure. It is not necessarily the director's fault that "We All Scream For Ice Cream" doesn't work, however, since the script and the whole idea are just so plain stupid that only a genius could have made something decent out of it. I usually don't mind movies being silly, since I can enjoy them as long as they're entertaining. Horror movies furthermore don't necessarily have to be "realistic", but they should have a certain logic. "We All Scream For Ice Cream" is just a bit too flat to be enjoyable. I am a fan of odd ideas in Horror films, but this one's premise is just too stupid to be scary or entertaining. At least the V-Word had Michael Ironside.

- SPOILERS! - The vengeful ghost of an ice cream selling clown comes back from the dead. He doesn't simply haunt or murder those who have once done him wrong, however. No, this villainous guy sells some mysterious Ice Cream to the kids of those he means to punish. Then, when the kids eat the ice cream, the parents melt - like ice cream. Wow! The idiocy of this storyline has yet to find an equal. One of the evil Clown's victims-to-be, is wise enough to tell his wife to get the kids out of town. It's quite unfortunate that his wife is an idiot who doesn't get the kids out of town because she thinks it's 'crazy' (in spite of the fact that people constantly melt in her lovely hometown)...

"We All Scream For Ice Cream" may have some qualities (very few, to be honest). The performances are OK. William Forsythe delivers a decent performance as Buster, the Clown who comes back as an evil ghost. It must also be appreciated when a child actor manages to seem evil or cruel, and it must therefore be mentioned that Samuel Patrick Chu does a very good job being a truly sadistic little bastard in a flashback sequence. Other than acceptable performances and decent CGI (sigh), "We All Scream For Ice Cream" has little to offer. It's simply too flat, too silly, and (at least in my opinion) it was not scary at all. My advice: Switch this one (as well as "The V-Word), and watch the other episodes.

Clowns = scary

Author: Tim Hayes from Perth, Ontario, Canada
22 January 2007

What is it about clowns? For something that is supposed to bring joy to children, there are more scary movies about them almost any other subgenre. Director Tom Holland returns to the genre after a 11 year hiatus with his first for the Masters Of Horror series, We All Scream For Ice Cream. First off, this is far from the greatest entry in the series. It does have its problems. Number one being a somewhat clichéd storyline. What it does have going for it is that in his retirement, Tom Holland hasn't lost the touch. We All Scream For Ice Cream is a fun and nasty little tale of revenge from beyond the grave. There are some really cheesy moments such as the victims of the clown melting into pools of ice cream when the kick off, but its all in good fun. William Forsythe is once again superb as the clown in both his mentally retarded during life and his demonic force after death roles. Overall, I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't the best of the season, but it was far from the worst.

Master Of Stupidity

Author: knuckles_and_sonic from New Zealand
14 February 2007

This was very very horrible. In all the wrong ways. Its basically about some handicapped icecream truck driver who comes back to exact revenge on those responsible for his death. I have only seen two episodes of the second season of this series and hope a third season isn't in the works. Trust me I love horror but this season and particularly this episode just doesn't cut it.

The Bad:

The acting is shockingly abysmal. (except for the Clown icecream truck driver who does good with what lines he has)

The stupid 'We All Scream For Icrecream' song is used so many times it makes you wish you were deaf.

The story drags on and on and on and becomes repetitive.

It felt like a 2 and a half hour TV movie which is bad considering it was only an hour.

SSDD is used and one word is changed. (For those who don't know: SSDD was used in a Steven King book: Dreamcatcher, while not the best book its bad to rip off someone elses phrasing even if you do change one word in it)

It seemed to me that the story was copying 'It' also by Steven King. I mean we have a clown and the kids that tormented him and he comes back when they are adults to exact his revenge.

The Good:

Great Special Effects Good acting by the Clown The episode actually finished (I honestly never thought it was going to end)

Conclusion: Please steer clear of this episode entirely, its for lack of a better word: Rubbish

A Decent Meltdown

Author: Jonny_Numb from Hellfudge, Pennsylvania
14 August 2007

I've glimpsed tidbits of articles where writer David J. Schow has vented his frustration over the final form of 'We All Scream for Ice Cream,' Tom Holland ("Child's Play"; "Fright Night")'s contribution to the "Masters of Horror" anthology. While the film itself is mostly surface and little subtext, and pushing the allotted 60-minute run time, it's not really clear what could have been done to salvage it. That's not to say "Scream" isn't worth a look--sure, part of its effect rests on our ability to take a silly premise seriously ('slow' clown-faced ice-cream man Buster--played by William Forsythe--is killed during a vicious childhood prank; years later, his ghost comes back for revenge, using the grown kids' kids as vessels of evil), but some moments are particularly well-done: the soft-focus, colorful flashbacks that show childhood cruelty in all its sadistic glory; and images of zombied kids with quarters in their hands. Parallels to Grimm's Fairy Tales is apt, and the story has a clever, well-done hook, but the acting is questionable (nobody really seems to know how the material should be played, especially in the more absurd moments), and the resolution ultimately unfulfilling (relying on a random coincidence that doesn't make narrative sense). Holland, however, does a fine job of moving the story along (even if it is never really scary), and gets a surprising performance out of Forsythe, playing the polar opposite of his "Devil's Rejects" persona.

What's Supposed To Taste Like "BOO-Berry" Just Comes Out Plain Vanilla...

Author: Christopher T. Chase (cchase@onebox.com) from Arlington, VA.
18 January 2007

WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM is just like a lot of the MOH entries that have ultimately turned out to be disappointments. It certainly has the pedigree for a top-notch episode: David J. Schow (PICK ME UP) adapting a short story from John Farris (THE FURY), and FRIGHT NIGHT and CHILD'S PLAY director Tom Holland at the wheel. Unfortunately, unless you have a deathly fear of clowns (which I understand quite a few people do), the most this episode will do for you is provide about an hour's worth of mild amusement, nothing more.

The cast really tries hard to sell it, but I don't think not as many audience members will be buying as the number of kids in the story taking catatonic, after-midnight strolls to buy cursed ice-cream effigies from a supernatural, vengeful, undead clown. (Say THAT fast five times).

Lee Tergesen (formerly of HBO's OZ) stars as Layne, a guy who has moved his family back to the town of his childhood. Not a good idea, as it turns out, because the old friends he used to hang with when they were all kids, are all dropping like flies. And of course, natural causes have nothing to do with it.

I wonder if Stephen King should sue? Because the story felt for all the world like a clumsy cross-pollination of IT and SOMETIMES THEY COME BACK. Buster, a mentally-challenged guy working as an ice-cream vendor in a clown suit (a solid performance turned in by William Forsythe), is a victim of a horrible prank played on him by Layne and his friends - emphasis on 'victim', since Buster ends up dead...but not for long. Soon, he's trolling the streets in the dead of night, selling his putrid ice pops to kids who want to get a little payback on their parents...especially their dads. Dads who were part of a little trick that went bad some thirty years ago...

I think Holland and his cast tried really hard, but you can't shake the King-like similarities, as if he sold Farris this story idea on a whim some years ago. The King connection isn't lessened one iota by the fact that one of the characters drives a vintage car that looks EXACTLY like King's CHRISTINE. Every scene where Buster made his nightly run, I half expected to see CUJO sitting next to him in the ice-cream truck! Apart from a couple of scenes that get some good, creepy staging and some pretty good effects work, (a scene in a homemade hot-tub is a definite highlight), there just isn't much in the way of genuine scares here.

I know what a fantastic director Tom Holland usually is, but I don't know..MOH seems to have a way of sucking all the creative juices out of some directors' efforts. In any case, I hope he gets a chance to take a shot at another MOH episode, based on better material.

Reminded me of an "Are You Afraid of the Dark" episode...

Author: JoePaLives from United States
17 January 2007

This episode was wholly disappointing. Besides the decent effects work on the hot tub melting scene, the entire episode had the tension-level and overall cheesiness of Nickelodeon's old show. While it was sad to see Buster die, this could have been written to show a much creepier edginess that other Masters of Horror have done well, such as "Pelts." This episode ranks as low, if not lower, than "Valerie on the Stairs." Especially due to the downright horrible ending. Crappy lines for the stale characters (minus Buster, who was great until he died). Cue up the distant growling of Buster to finish the episode...even though you've already killed him, and you can't find the time or energy to think up a truly creepy ending. This is what really brings down the series as a whole. Can't Mick Garris screen most of these ep's for quality before they're aired? Oh wait, it doesn't help that all of the episodes Garris has directed are quite mundane also. Hopefully the last three of the season are much scarier and better than this load o' poo.

We all scream...'cause the flick totally disappoints

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
29 October 2008

Securing director Tom Holland for the second season of "Masters of Horror" seemed like a horror fan's dream-come-true. This underrated director brought us such horror favorites as "Fright Night" and "child's Play" and yet I feel he's never been given due credit. The premise here is interesting and clowns are always creepy but "We All Scream For Ice Cream" falls flat.

The mood is properly set. Dim, atmospheric lighting and William Forsythe looking insanely creepy as a murderous clown. But the story is garbage, the flick is badly acted with a very boring central character and it's virtually suspenseless. The back story looks like a bad rehash of "It" and those kids are really bad actors as well.

A total disappointment, it even lacks solid gore apart from one scene with a guy in a bathtub. When a ferociously bad looking naked guy in a bathtub provides the only good scene you know you're in trouble.