The Sandlot: Heading Home (Video 2007) Poster

14 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
An improvement over the second
asherkyle-229 May 2007
Having a baseball-crazy 7-year-old who has watched the original perhaps 17 times and had the critical acumen to describe the second Sandlot movie — which had baseball as an afterthought —as "stupid," this is an improvement. It's actually about sandlot baseball, with some solid themes about teamwork, friendship and loyalty. And, while still dumb, it has enough entertainment value to be watchable. The lift from "Back to The Future," is patently obvious, but by establishing with an ultra-prima-donna major leaguer and transferring his repellent personality intact to his 12 year old de-resurrection, his character development is credible within a lot of swirling silliness, and is sometimes moving. Tolerable for adults, the DVD is one that little leaguers will devour.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun Movie
amalmer10 February 2008
I personally love the first Sandlot, and didn't hate the second one. Many people complained the second one was too copy-cat, and ruined the first movie. For this reason, I think many people will decide not to watch this film, as they only expect the worst. The Sandlot 3, however, is very different from the original, and is as well-acted as the first. Tommy, a cocky pro baseball player, is sent back to re-live his childhood when he is struck by a baseball. He has the mind of his 41 year old self, but is in his own 12-year old body. He learns many lessons along the way, and changes the course of his whole life. It's a familiar story line, but it works. It was really fun to see the original actor who played Squints back in this movie! I thought all of the child actors did a good job, especially Keneau Pires (Tommy...who is very good-looking, by the way=]) And Alexander Ludwig (EJ) I think those two did especially well with their roles. Most people probably are familiar with Ludwig, but Pires was a pleasant surprise. This is a wholesome movie with some funny parts, and is entertaining the whole way through. I would definitely watch the special features. I liked the deleted scene, and the video montage with Ludwig and Pires.Overall this movie is an improvement over the second, and definitely is in league with the first one. I watched this with a group of friends (all 16 year olds) and everyone seemed to enjoy it a lot. Don't let your hatred towards the second Sandlot film stop you from seeing this one.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
family fun
jltydor26 May 2007
This is a wonderful entertainment for the entire family. Makes up for the missteps of Sandlot 2. Gone is the Bad News Bears type of infatuation with cursing and back are the endearing characters and wholesome entertainment. It catches enough of the time period, 1976, to help the adults relive their own memories and gives the younger audience plenty with which to identify and all will be rooting for the "home team". The story centers around the theme of second chances. The protagonist, Tommy, is a selfish major league ballplayer who puts his personal goals ahead of his team. A freak accident sends him back to 1976 as a 12 year old boy. Here he gets recruited to play on a team with his friends on the old sandlot. A greedy developer is eager to begin tearing down the sandlot and put up "money making" condos. There are passionate pleas to save the sandlot. The city council is unable to make a decision. Eventually, the developer offers a challenge to Tommy and his friends. If they can beat a team of superior players on their way to the league championships, he will let them keep the lot. The pressure is on Tommy and his team. Good, solid family fun.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
it was the best sandlot movie yet, and one of the best baseball movies!
alufrano9 May 2007
I love this movie so much! I know almost everybody loved the first sandlot, and almost everybody hated the second one, not including me, this will be most like throughout viewing it. It was really good for sandlot fans and, in my opinion, the best one out of the three. You need to see this movie or else you'll miss out out on it all. Also, the first one was good, so they made a second one, and it was pretty much the exact same plot as the first one and nobody liked it because of that, so in this one they have a whole new plot with totally different people, and they sure did succeed. All I know from this movie is always stick with your friends and don't make big mistakes. Good movie about baseball, time travel, friendship and winning it all. Good for everyone, especially the family!
14 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful, Fun, Family Film
Ed11 May 2007
The Sandlot 3 Heading Home is a great follow up to the original 1993 Sandlot Feature. Many fans of that first movie seem to be in a snit over the idea anyone would trifle with its memory and a few are down right livid over the phrase "time travel" in the synopsis. So, having seen Sandlot 3, let me put your minds at ease. Are there holes in the time travel plot line big enough to hit fly balls through? You betcha! Just like all the time travel holes in science fiction movies big enough to fly starships through. Honestly; it in no way detracts from enjoying the story. Two of the original Sandlot ball players return for this story, set in 1976, as men. One of them is played by the original actor. Their interaction with each other and the new group of kids on the team helps to recall a bit of the summer of '62. The main character of Sandlot 3 has been transported back to 1976 when he is accidentally hit with a pitch at batting practice. The adjustment from his adult life back to his childhood life is accomplished with a minimum of annoyance and the story progresses smoothly. All the kid actors do a terrific job. Watch for Cole Heppell as the catcher, DP. The Writers and Director tell a story about second chances, trust, friendship and fun. That they chose to set it in the field behind Old Man Mertle's house makes it familiar and pleasant as well. The production values are on a par with theatrical releases of this type. The rear of Mr. Mertle's house is recreated perfectly. Sandlot 3 Heading Home does what it sets out to do, give the viewer an enjoyable experience, and it doesn't pretend to be anything else.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Sandlot: Heading Home
jDriftyx8227 May 2010
As a true fan of the ORIGINAL Sandlot movie I can honestly say this movie eats sh*t. Not only did they ruin the original with a sequel, but now a trilogy? Are they high out of their minds? It was a NO SEQUEL kind of movie! But apparently Hollywood just doesn't understand, BIG FRIGGEN SURPRISE! I wish there was a 0 rating I could give this, just to express my hate for it. But a 1 will do almost as good. Maybe they'll finally get the point and leave good movies alone. Especially movies from the 80's and 90's.

This movie is pretty much proof that movies are dying, well sequels and trilogies at least. Do yourself a favor, leave it alone.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun, family movie
anita3616 May 2007
This movie was a lot of fun to watch. The one liners, the music and video montages made the movie entertaining and easy to stay involved in. It was great to see Squints and Benny back and I would definitely agree that the Sandlot team captures your hearts. This movie reminds me of A Knight's Tale when the main character states that he wants to "...change his stars". Tommy gets just that, a chance to change his stars and along the way he develops character, softens his heart and wins many friends. Sandlot Heading Home is definitely an original breath of fresh air compared to #2 and is as entertaining as the first one. My daughter (age 9) and her friends have watched it over and over again. Not many movies out there that are really safe for all ages yet entertaining for adults.....this is one of them. Great fun for the whole family!!
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is truly one of the worst movies I have ever seen!
ZoneIII16 May 2007
This movie was absolutely terrible. The only explanation I can think of for the good reviews it received from some here is that they were written by people in the cast. It was actually painful to watch this movie. Even my grandchildren (ages 6-13) could not bear to watch it. As far as I know, this movie never made it to theaters and for good reason. It's as if some people were sitting around having a beer and said, "Hey! Let's make a movie. Who wants to be in it?" It's that bad. Besides Luke Perry, who is only in a small part of the movie, I did not recognize a single other actor. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it is in this case. I liked Sandlot (I) and I generally like stupid and silly movies but this movie doesn't have a single redeeming quality. The people who wrote it don't have the slightest clue as to how children think, talk, or act and the movie is a disjointed mess of terribly corny lines and stupid jokes. I rarely write negative reviews but this is the worst movie I have seen since Man's Best Friend and it's definitely one of the ten worst movies I have ever seen in my life. If you rent it, remember that I warned you. The fact that some people actually rated this movie as being good is a sad commentary on their taste and intelligence. I'm not exaggerating.
10 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
*1/2 out of 4
Bleeding-Skull14 November 2007
Successful, arrogant baseball superstar Tommy "Santa" Santorelli travels back in time to 1976 and relives his boyhood days on the sandlot baseball team, this time choosing friendship over glory and ultimately earning both.

Another worse sequel coming right up. It might probably be the worst of 2007. It's as if some people were sitting around having a beer and said, "Hey! Let's make a movie. Who wants to be in it?" It's that bad. Not to mention a lame script. Even the funny scenes can't save this one. Miss-placed sound effects ruin the tension, though. The people who wrote it don't have the slightest clue as to how children think, talk, or act and the movie is a disjointed mess of terribly corny lines and stupid jokes. And Finally, this film hits rock bottom. The ending doesn't help either. Only point of interest is that Chauncey Leopardi from the first Sandlot is back.

Rated PG for Profanity.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A choice of friendship over glory.
Michael O'Keefe9 May 2007
Tommy Santorelli(Luke Perry)is a Major League Superstar finishing out his career with the L.A. Dodgers. His arrogance can't be matched. A power hitting outfielder that has never believed in team work...just a "me,me,me" type of guy. His team has always been second to his fame and glory. Tommy gets a second chance to turn his lifestyle around, when he is hit in the head with a pitched ball and is knocked unconscious. The slugger wakes up as a 12-year-old(Keanu Pires) on his childhood sandlot. Tommy is convinced to play for his friends team, and of course is the best thing ever to happen to them. A greedy developer, Earl Needman(Paul Jarrett), threatens to flatten the sandlot and put up condominiums. The city council can't decide to give him the go ahead. Finally Needam challenges the rag tag team to play his much-better team as they both are going to the league championship game. The sandlot's future is in the hands of the winners. A feel good movie. Also in the cast: Danny Nucci, Sarah Deakens, Chris Gauthier, Alexander Ludwig and Brandon Olds.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this