1-20 of 209 items from 2015 « Prev | Next »
Academy invitee Eddie Redmayne in 'The Theory of Everything.' Academy invites 322 new members: 'More diverse and inclusive list of filmmakers and artists than ever before' The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has offered membership to 322 individuals "who have distinguished themselves by their contributions to theatrical motion pictures." According to the Academy's press release, "those who accept the invitations will be the only additions to the Academy's membership in 2015." In case all 322 potential new members say an enthusiastic Yes, that means an injection of new blood representing about 5 percent of the Academy's current membership. In the words of Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs (as quoted in the press release), in 2015 "our branches have recognized a more diverse and inclusive list of filmmakers and artists than ever before, and we look forward to adding their creativity, ideas and experience to our organization." In recent years, the Academy membership has »
- Anna Robinson
Four Australians and three Kiwis have been invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
A record 322 screen practitioners from the Us and around the world have been invited to join the organisation. The previous high was 276 in 2013.
The Down Under contingent comprises visual effects wizards Tim Crosbie and Daniel Barrett, producers Bruna Papandrea and Rebecca Yeldham, sound mixers David Lee and Jason Canovas and writer-director Niki Caro.
Despite the Academy.s efforts to diversify its membership, out of the 25 actors invited to join only seven are women.
Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs said, .It.s gratifying to acknowledge the extraordinary range of talent in our industry. This year, our branches have recognized a more diverse and inclusive list of filmmakers and artists than ever before, and we look forward to adding their creativity, ideas and experience to our organization..
This year Crosbie was nominated for an »
- Don Groves
Don Harris is leaving Paramount to pursue other opportunities after four years as president of domestic distribution.
Harris, who previously worked at DreamWorks and as head film buyer for the AMC Theaters chain, will be staying through the July 31 release of “Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation.” Paramount expects to announce his replacement in the next 60 days.
Harris replaced Jim Tharp in the post in 2011. He was hired by DreamWorks in 1995. With the 2006 sale of DreamWorks Pictures to Viacom, he moved to the Paramount lot to oversee the domestic sales division for the studio’s Motion Picture Group.
Paramount’s biggest domestic grosser in 2015 has been “The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water” with $163 million. The studio is opening “Terminator: Genisys” on Wednesday.
Harris’ departure »
- Dave McNary
The next “Star Trek” adventure has been christened.
The third film in the rebooted adventures of James Kirk and crew has been dubbed “Star Trek Beyond,” Paramount said Tuesday. Justin Lin, the “Fast & Furious 6″ auteur who is taking over directing duties from a “Star Wars”-bound J.J. Abrams, tweeted the new title along with a sneak peek at the new Starfleet Uniform.
“Star Trek Beyond” continues a directional approach to titling, following 2013’s “Star Trek Into Darkness.” The film brings back Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana, along with series newcomer Idris Elba. It hits theaters on July 8, 2016.
In addition, Paramount said it will release Michael Bay’s “13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi” wide on Jan. 15. The picture stars John Krasinski (“The Office”), Pablo Schreiber (“Orange Is the New Black”), and James Badge Dale (“World War Z”). It centers on the attack on the 2012 American diplomatic compound in Benghazi, »
- Brent Lang
©Renzo Piano Building Workshop/©Studio Pali Fekete architects/©A.M.P.A.S.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced this week that the Los Angeles City Council, in a unanimous vote, approved plans for the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures. Construction will begin this summer, and ceremonial groundbreaking festivities will occur this fall.
“I am thrilled that Los Angeles is gaining another architectural and cultural icon,” said Mayor Eric Garcetti. “My office of economic development has worked directly with the museum’s development team to ensure that the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures will create jobs, support tourism, and pay homage to the industry that helped define our identity as the creative capital of the world.”
“We are grateful to our incredible community of supporters who have helped make this museum a reality,” said Dawn Hudson, the Academy’s CEO. “Building this museum has been an Academy »
- Michelle McCue
Strangely dropping a press release on a historic day where the nation's attention is elsewhere, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences revealed their annual list of new member invitees this morning. For those who criticize the makeup of the Academy there was some good news and the stark realization the organization still has a long way to go. The Academy has spent the last eight to 10 years attempting to diversify its membership and this year's class mostly reflects that. There are significantly more invitees of Asian and African-American descent, but the male to female disparity is still depressing. Out of the 25 potential new members of the Actor's Branch only seven are women. And, no, there isn't really an acceptable way for the Academy to spin that sad fact. Additionally, It's important to realize the 322 people noted in the release have only been invited to join Hollywood's most exclusive club. »
- Gregory Ellwood
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences continues to push for diversity, sending membership invitations to 322 individuals, including a healthy number of people who can help change the org’s demos.
Among the invitees are David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Felicity Jones, Emma Stone, Rosamund Pike, Bong Joon-ho, Justin Lin and Francois Ozon. The Academy has been reaching out to women, foreign-born artists and people of various races, ethnic backgrounds and ages.
Accusations of Academy bigotry surfaced yet again in January when the list of Oscar nominees included Caucasians in all 20 acting categories, and few women or racial minorities among the other categories. Director Ava DuVernay and actor David Oyelowo of “Selma” had seemed like strong contenders, giving many people hopes of breakthroughs. After initial anger at the Acad, activists began to shift their protests to industry hiring practices. For example, 323 films were eligible for 2014 awards — which means AMPAS should theoretically »
- Tim Gray
San Diego Comic-Con 2015 has released their full schedule for Thursday, July 9. For your convenience, we have pulled out all of the movie, TV and DVD related panels and events below, but you can can visit Comic-Con.org to check out the full schedule including comic book and video game panels. Take a look at all of the movie, TV and DVD events that will take place during the first day of Comic Con.
Thursday, July 9
10:00am - 11:00am - Amazon: Hand of God
Amazon will introduce the Comic-Con audience to Hand of God; a one-hour drama series that stars Golden Globe winner Ron Perlman in his first lead television role since Sons of Anarchy, as the honorable justice Pernell Harris. The series centers on Harris, a powerful and corrupt judge who comes apart at the seams in the aftermath of a family tragedy. Stricken by grief, and in »
Deadline is reporting that director Marc Forster (Monster’s Ball, World War Z) has signed on to develop a trilogy of movies based around The Downslope, an unproduced screenplay from Stanley Kubrick, which was written in 1956. Forster will direct the first film in the series, as well as producing all three.
An anti-war tale based upon real historical events, The Downslope “focuses on a bitter, strategic series of Civil War battles in the Shenandoah Valley between young Union General George Armstrong Custer and Confederate Colonel John Singleton Mosby (known as the Gray Ghost for his stealth strategies). His cavalrymen, known as Mosby’s Rangers, continually outsmarted the much-larger enemy forces in a sequence of raids, which enraged Custer and eventually created a fierce cycle of revenge between the two men.”
The site reports that the subsequent films will expand Kubrick’s original story “and journey west, as postwar Americans settled the new frontier, »
- Gary Collinson
On Monday, legendary film composer James Horner died in a plane crash near Santa Barbara in which he was apparently piloting. Horner, who composed classic films such as Aliens, Avatar, Apollo 13 and Titanic touched millions of people around the world with his unforgettable scores.
Céline Dion, who sang "My Heart Will Go On" co-written by Horner for the movie Titanic, said:
"Rene and I are deeply saddened by the tragic death of James Horner. He will always remain a great composer in our hearts. James played an important part in my career. We will miss him. We offer his family and friends our deepest sympathy."
Fellow composer Alexandre Desplat (The Grand Budapest Hotel) had this to say about Horner:
"It is a tragedy for all composers to hear about James Horner's accident. We have lost one of our most talented and respected colleagues. His music will remain always. »
The anti-war tale based on Stanley Kubrick’s unfilmed script will be the first in an ambitious trilogy that charts American history from the wild west era onwards
Marc Forster, the German director of The Kite Runner and World War Z, is to take charge of the first in a trilogy of movies based on Stanley Kubrick’s unfilmed American civil war screenplay The Downslope.
The historical epic centres on the fierce rivalry between Union general George Armstrong Custer and Confederate colonel John Singleton Mosby, nicknamed the Gray Ghost for his stealth and cunning on the battlefield. The screenplay was written by Kubrick in 1956, after the American director’s little-seen 1953 debut feature Fear and Desire and prior to his 1957 first world war period piece Paths of Glory.
Continue reading »
- Ben Child
As reported by Deadline, Stanley Kubrick’s written script for The Downslope will now be made into a film series by World War Z and Finding Neverland director Marc Forster, who will serve as producer for all three films and director for the first. Kubrick wrote the script in 1956 after his film Fear and Desire hit theaters, and before he started working on Paths of Glory. The film is said to be “a sweeping, historical action-drama,” according to Deadline, and will revolve around the Civil War. The first film of the trilogy will be based on Kubrick’s script and concept, and the subsequent films will expand on his original ideas and focus on the after-effects of the Civil War.
Kubrick’s death in 1999 has obviously not stopped his ideas from reaching the big screen, as seen with Spielberg’s film A.I. Artificial Intelligence in 2001. That film was brought about »
The Downslope, Midnight Sun, Imagine Agents, and other films have made recent film casting, screenwriting, and director news. These films come from movie studios primarily based in the United States. The castings, screenwriters, and directors are subject to change.
Chasing Phil: The World’s Greatest Con Man, Two Undercover FBI Agents, And Their Amazing Around The World Adventure
Warner Bros. has preemptively acquired author David Howard’s book proposal “Chasing Phil: The World’s Greatest Con Man, Two Undercover FBI Agents, And Their Amazing Around The World Adventure” for Robert Downey Jr. to produce and potentially star
The book proposal details the FBI’s first foray into white collar crime-fighting and its use of agents as long-term, undercover operatives. The story follows two young FBI agents as they infiltrate the world of Phil Kitzer, the charismatic mastermind behind dozens of multi-million dollar schemes and his international network of associates known as The Fraternity. »
- Rollo Tomasi
New Stanley Kubrick movies?! Not just one, but an entire trilogy? Whoa! Cool. Deadline is reporting that Marc Forster, director of Monster's Ball, Finding Neverland, Stranger Than Fiction, The Kite Runner, Quantum of Solace, Machine Gun Preacher and World War Z previously, has signed on to develop a feature film trilogy based on Stanley Kubrick's lost original screenplay The Downslope, that Kubrick wrote in 1956. Forster will direct & produce the first movie in the trilogy, then will only produce the other two, with other directors being lined up (most likely, but as of yet unconfirmed). This will be a "sweeping, historical action-drama" during the Civil War about Confederate Army Col. John S. Mosby who goes after Gen. Custer. The legendary, seminal filmmaker Stanley Kubrick originally wrote the script for The Downslope in 1956, apparently spending years "studying, developing and writing the story." He wrote it after the release of Fear and Desire, »
- Alex Billington
There's no question that Stanley Kubrick's way of filmmaking brought some serious attention to his films (and still do), and while kids these days may not get a chance to experience a new Kubrick film in theaters, it looks like they're going to get the next best thing. Director Marc Forster (World War Z, Quantum Of Solace) is developing a film trilogy based on a 1956 screenplay written... Read More »
- Sean Wist
As one would expect from the ever audacious, thoughtful filmmaker, there are more than a few projects Stanley Kubrick developed but never brought to the screen. Though efforts have been made in the past to bring his unfinished works to life, namely through Steven Spielberg's A.I. Artificial Intelligence or the multiple rumors over the years to satisfy his vision of Napoleon in the form of a film or mini-series, most were put to rest with the filmmaker back in 1999. But apparently one of his earliest unmade screenplays -- 1956's The Downslope -- was dusted off the shelves somewhere in Hollywood recently, and director Marc Forster (World War Z) has decided to take a stab at bringing Kubrick's lost script to the screen. And because it's Hollywood, it'll be not just one film but an entire trilogy. Forster's only attached to direct the first, but plans to produce all three installments, »
- Will Ashton
One of late filmmaker Stanley Kubrick's unproduced screenplays, entitled The Downslope, is now being developed as a movie trilogy, directed by Marc Forster (World War Z). The director will also produce alongside Philip Hobbs (Full Metal Jacket) and Steve Lanning (The Secret Garden), who hold the rights to the script, with the project moving forward with the full support and encouragement of the Kubrick family. Lauren Selig (Black Mass), Barry Levine (Hercules) and Reneé Wolfe (All I See Is You) are also producing and developing the script with Marc Forster.
The Downslope is described by The Wrap as a "cautionary, anti-war tale". The story follows a series of Civil War battles in the Shenandoah Valley between Union General George Armstrong Custer and Confederate Colonel John Singleton Mosby, known as the Gray Ghost for his stealth and elusiveness. His cavalrymen, Mosby's Rangers, continually outsmarted the much larger enemy forces in a sequence of raids, »
Though Stanley Kubrick passed away in 1999, movies bearing his name are still working their way to the big screen. Marc Forster, who directed Paramount’s tentpole World War Z, has become attached to direct and produce a movie based on the 2001: A Space Odyssey auteur’s 1956 screenplay The Downslope.
The pic will be the first in a planned trilogy based on the script (Forster won’t direct the latter two installments, but he will produce all entries alongside Lauren Selig, Barry Levine, Reneé Wolfe, Phil Hobbs and Steve Lannning).
The Downslope was written in between Fear and Desire and Paths of Glory. Also a cautionary, anti-war tale, it centers on some key battles in the Civil War fought between Union General George Armstrong Custer and Confederate Colonel John Singleton Mosby. The latter was so renowned for his stealth and cunning that he was nicknamed the Gray Ghost, leading a »
- Isaac Feldberg
Way back in 2012, producers Steve Lanning and Philip Hobbs’ tried to get some unproduced scripts by Stanley Kubrick into into production in Hollywood. Entertainment One picked up "The Downslope," once conceived as a massive $100 million project, to be made into a TV movie, with another script, "God Fearing Man," slated for a miniseries. And while news on the latter has gone very quiet, "The Downslope" is headed for the big screen. Marc Forster ("Monster's Ball," "World War Z") will now direct "The Downslope" which is being turned into a trilogy. The story focuses on a bitter series of Civil War battles in the Shenandoah Valley between Union General George Armstrong Custer and Confederate Colonel John Singleton Mosby, known as the Gray Ghost for his stealth and elusiveness. His cavalrymen, known as Mosby’s Rangers, continually outsmarted the much larger enemy forces in a sequence »
- Kevin Jagernauth
Stanley Kubrick‘s original screenplay “The Downslope,” a sweeping, historical action-drama he wrote in 1956, is being developed as a feature trilogy with Marc Forster (“World War Z”) attached to produce as well as direct the first film in the series, it was announced Monday. Producers Lauren Selig (“Everest”), Barry Levine (“Hercules”) and Reneé Wolfe (“All I See Is You”) are developing the project with Forster. Selig reached out to rights holders Phil Hobbs (“Full Metal Jacket”) and Steve Lanning, who will also serve as producers on the project, which boasts the full support and encouragement of Kubrick’s family. “The Downslope” is. »
- Jeff Sneider
1-20 of 209 items from 2015 « Prev | Next »
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners