IMDb > Roméo et Juliette (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Roméo et Juliette More at IMDbPro »

A very different Romeo & Juliet

Author: (bad_girl_4lif3) from Canada
11 January 2007

This new Canadian/Quebequois version of Shakespeare's immortal tale of forbidden love is a very modernized and different story than the basic one we've known for 500 years now.

I've loved this story since.. forever. I've read the play a few times, loved the 1968 Zeffirelli's version and completely adored 1996 Baz Lurhmann's version. I wasn't expecting much from this 2006 version and I guess that's what made me appreciate it more.

The teen love story between Romeo & Juliet is so sweet, simple and well represented in a today's world that made it special to my eyes. The original Shakespearean dialogue has been completely ignored in this new adaptation except for the last quote, which is THE classic quote used in all R+J versions I've seen. The leading couple don't even exchange more than 10 phrases during these 100min. But the deep glances they share with each other are the doors to their soul which makes their emotions relateable. This is Charlotte Aubin and Thomas Lalonde's both first movie and they've given us both a nice portrayal of our star-crossed lovers. I have to admit the feud between the Montagues and Capulets is very badly represented in this new adaptation, there is lots of changes in the original screenplay so expect some SLIGHT twists and changes during the entire movie. Do not expect anything exceptional with the cinematography or soundtrack-wise. This movie has also received a lot of bad critics for its unnecessary nudity which I do agree on (Especially Étienne's erotic scenes). Definitely a PG13 or maybe even Rated R movie due to those scenes. But besides that, it is a very enjoyable movie. Don't expect much than a very simple and very different Shakepeare's Romeo & Juliet.