IMDb > A Dad for Christmas (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Dad for Christmas (TV) More at IMDbPro »Me and Luke (original title)

Great Movie!

Author: mads5 from United States
7 December 2006

I loved it, I really loved it! I just got done watching it on my tape + now I have to clean up all the wet tissues from around me. Kristopher Turner was a good choice for the lead. Louise Fletcher was a seasoned "gramma" + went from hard-nosed to warm + caring during the movie. I'm a baby person, I love + watch anything that has to do with babies. I also thought at the end that I wish I had had a "Matt" for a father. So loving + caring. That baby will never miss love like so many of us have. Shame there aren't more Matt's in the world! He was a really good actor. I realized it especially when the social worker took Luke away. I thought Matt's heart was going to break just by the look on his face! I'll give it a 10!!

why isn't this actor more famous?

Author: Ilovehandbagsandshoes from United Kingdom
19 June 2008

I caught this movie at around 8pm on the movies24 channel. I don't know what drew me in, but from the opening credits you somehow realise this is going to be a 'little gem' and it was. Basically its about finding out who you are and the consequences that has on the others around you; coming of age; rites of passage; etc, but this one is very good especially I suppose because we hear so much about fathers reneging on their responsibilities and the people who never knew who their father was etc etc, that a film like this, tries to show us another side of the whole 'unwanted pregnancy' conundrum.

I don't want to say too much else about the plot because you should all see this film if you get the chance.

Another point, if family rifts have touched your life, then this film will make you cry and cry....I think the greatest message communicated in this film is not in the dialogue, but in the Pinteresque loaded silences between the dialogue and all these actors are ideally suited to that kind of intelligent non-verbal communication.

I don't think I had ever seen this particular young Canadian actor before. Kristopher Turner is a face to watch and I hope he breaks onto the big screen soon. He may want to consider getting a new agent if this doesn't happen soon as he is a wasted asset. The guy has everything for crying out loud and he's 6'.....(move over Mr Cruise!!!)

Matthew and Luke

Author: wes-connors from Los Angeles
11 December 2013

Unable to find a job, handsome young Kristopher Turner (as Matthew "Matt" Blessing) is nonetheless happily planning to be a father. However, blonde girlfriend Emma Taylor-Isherwood (as Megan Eubanks) declines his marriage proposals and intends to put their baby up for adoption. Faced with losing his child, Mr. Turner decides to take matters into his own hands. In real life, Turner's character would be swiftly hunted down and throw in prison for doing what he contemplates in this film. This story take a fantastical different track. It's more inspirational than accurate. Obviously, the world would be better if more prospective fathers were like the one covered here; this is the film's thesis, and it's a good one...

"A Dad for Christmas" is based on the young adult novel "Me and Luke" (1987), by Audrey O'Hearn. The adaptation, by Alan Hines, is very well done. He and director Eleanor Lindo take a distinct character and make him suitable for a TV Movie screen – and for the lead actor, who is believable despite being older and more instantly employable than the scruffy 17-year-old in the book. Lucky to have a good production team, Turner is consistently sincere. Led by a lovely late-career role for Louise Fletcher (as Glennie), the supporting cast does well. This may not be how events often happen in reality, but it's how they could. Babies should start lives with fathers who want them as much as we see here.

****** A Dad for Christmas (12/3/06) Eleanor Lindo ~ Kristopher Turner, Louise Fletcher, Jack Shepherd, Lindsay Ames

Meretricious nonsense.

Author: Ravenswing from Kelfour's Landing
4 July 2008

After the movie was over, my wife - who met me when I was in a family law practice - asked me in what state (a) a teenage father's parental rights could be signed away by the mother's family against his will, and (b) said father could actually land in legal hot water for "kidnapping" his own son when the mother doesn't want him. "The State of Lifetime," says I.

Yes, I know that Lifetime's viewership has a vested interest in portraying men (especially handsome, engaging, young studs with high Q ratings) as warm, loving and invested in their children, but the plot's core dramatic conflict is a crock: that there is a jurisdiction anywhere in the United States which wouldn't have come down on the bad guys' heads like white on rice.

Given that - "What the hell, the judge is actually bothering to hear this case instead of telling the mother not to waste their time?" thinks I - the only way I could have wrapped my head around this movie was to dismiss it as fantasy, and I couldn't.

4/10.