IMDb > Jump! (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jump! More at IMDbPro »

A True Story

Author: patlightfoot from Australia
17 July 2008

I enjoyed it very much. The writing and bigotry against Jews, was on the wall,(literally in 1928) and Phillipe's father was a real pain in the neck. Paternalistic extremo. His arrogance and bullying factors caused his demise, but not by his son's hand. Although, one had to think why the hesitancy giving him heart pills and trying to stop him falling. But when the truth is revealed, one can understand, Phillip's father's obnoxious relationship with his family intimidated Phillipe and I suspect that barrier between son and father was noticed by others on the mountain and in the hotel. Ones who already had turned against Jews. However, how did they know they were Jews, from the blonde who had slept with the father the night before? And I queried why Phillipe took photos of his dead father, when the head wound was not there when he went for help. Was he in shock? He appeared to be, and also I feel felt a bit guilty about his father, given he had had an argument with him prior to this. This is understandable.

Some might again say "Not another film about wartime Jews" but the story has credibility. And it was just as well that Phillipe accepted the pardon and went to America. As others did of course, and who would wonder when the word got around, the Jews were targets now from the Nazi's. The scenery in Austria was wonderful, the acting was very good, and it was a satisfying film script.

Infinitely Fascinating

Author: tojepravda from Los Angeles
31 July 2008

An intimate look into a fascinating period of history. Not your average pre-holocaust story, but a rewarding exploration of a lesser-known case.

Some of the performances were rather wooden, and the direction felt a bit awkward and TV-ish at times, but the story was gripping. A much different role for Mr. Swayze, as well. I didn't expect him capable of such a sobering dramatic performance.

I hadn't heard of Halsman before, but am curious to learn more about him.

I will definitely watch this again, though I can't wait for it to hit the big screen.

The hitherto unknown event in the life of Philip Halsman, the world-famous 50's photographer.

Author: johnjoshua from Austria
24 September 2008

The 119 minute version, which the director actually edited (despite the distribution of a 102" version) is a fascinating tale of the strife between a father and son which leads to death and deep regret. Patrick Swayze is fantastic in this movie. He shows a side of his acting which proves how diversified he can be and how talented. Martine McCutcheon and Anja Kruse are also fantastic, as is Ben Silverstone. This film should be watched in the original, English version (there is tendency in Europe to dub everything that moves -- including pictures). This film shows how Austria was also involved in the rise of National Socialism as an architect of the movement more than its victim.

History, drama, intrigue, mystery all in one movie.

Author: jaroslaw99 (jaroslaw99@aol.com) from Michigan
15 February 2011

I will admit I'm prejudiced because I adore Ben Silverstone but really, he is one of only a few actors who always becomes the person he is playing. Contrary to one other review, this was not awful, there were no wooden performances. I do agree that it spoils the movie a bit to open in 1950 and go backwards but this is only relevant if you realize who Phillipe Halsman was, which I assume most people including me, would not. Patrick Swayze was incredible too, an unexpected pleasure that he could do so well in a dramatic role. I'm not Jewish, but I don't think it can be said enough that blind prejudice & hate can have awful consequences for both the victims and instigators. The world never seems to learn this. PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE - It was never explained why they cut off the head of the victim and presented it as evidence in court; nor why it was preserved for 60 years. Possibly since Halsman himself never spoke about it and probably he himself didn't know a lot of why the authorities did certain things ; the movie must have contained a certain amount of conjecture.

Fantastic story but poorly executed

Author: Marc from Melbourne, Australia
10 November 2007

A fact based murder trial of the 1920's involving a young Jewish man in pre-Nazi Austria holds your attention to the end if you're unfamiliar with the story. The trouble is the dreadful acting and stagy style direction - so bad it's almost embarrassing.

Interested in Martine McCutcheon in the 'sister' role, I hired it on that basis, being a long time fan of "EastEnders". But her pivotal role is reduced to pretty sighs and great costumes.

It's a shame that true historical stories are of little interest to the general public because we can learn so much from the past.

Overall, a television audience would enjoy this - and that's not saying very much.

Awful - just awful!

Author: hesketh27 from Southport Lancashire Uk
14 July 2008

This mess just reminded me of one of those 70s pan European co-productions that were so prominent at the time. The characters inhabit a Disneyesque, sanitised version of 1920s Austria where everyone and everything is scrubbed shinily clean and everyone walks aboutwearing beautiful clothes. The story itself would be a good basis for adecent dramatic film but as soon as I heard the dreadful dubbed voice coming out of Heinz Hoenig's mouth I knew this was a stinker! Why does the film show Halsman alive and well in America in the 1950s spoiling any dramatic tension - we already know in the first 2 minutes of the film that he is going to be free, whats the point watching any further? (I personally didn't know who he was before watching the film) Why does Martine McCutcheon have to talk with that ridiculous American accent in a film set in Austria????????? All in all an unwatchable mess. Badly scripted, badly directed and badly acted. AVOID!!!!!!!!!