IMDb > 24 (2008) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

24 (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Jack is back...But with a twist?

Author: SoloHero5 from Canada
23 November 2008

Of course 24 fans around the world were devastated with the writers strike and in turn the postponed "day 7" of 24, but instead of us fans having to endure another month of suspense and agony waiting on the arrival of the seventh season of 24, we were given a 24 (made for T.V.) movie known as 24 Redemption and yes Jack is back, but with some minute differences.

Some critics might say the fight scenes were "poorly" choreographed, the special effects might not have been special enough, or there just wasn't enough action. We need to remember the season finally of day 6 and how Jack literally now has nothing. The writers are clearly emphasizing on Jacks personal rehabilitation and personal change in other words even though we thought impossible they are in fact adding more drama to start us off which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The writers decided to aim at a different target and in a different location, but by God the hit the bull's eye.

Violence and surprises are defiantly a factor in the near "24" future and us fans can't wait...Also (I won't spoil it just in case you don't know, but you should already know) some of Jacks old friends are back, one important one in particular.

I hope this has been useful for you.

24 is back!

Author: craigy101 from UK
27 November 2008

24 is back! 24 is back with this 2hour special 'bridge' between series 6 and 7, which sees ex CTU Agent Jack Bauer in a war torn African nation hiding from the crimes he committed whilst saving the United States in the previous seasons of 24.

The past is catching up with Jack after the US discover his location and subpoena him to the US court. However, strife and trouble are never to far away as the country in which Jack is hiding is facing a military coup, and he gets involved in helping the school children of an old friend to safety, played by a pleasant appearance of Robert Carlyle.

Jack must rely on his unique skills once again as things quickly turn bad, and the viewer once again treated to the intense flurry of suspense, corruption and pure action that can only be 24.

I won't go into anymore plot details, as not to spoil the film for anymore else, but be prepared for a fantastic 90min of fun that sets up very nicely indeed to the new 7th season of 24.

Craig

Improves on day 6 and is a solid film for fans

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
21 December 2008

It has been some time since we last saw Jack Bauer. The writer's strike saw him run out of tough things to say and a generally negative response to a weak season 6 has seen him leave America and travel the world. We join him in a non-existent African country where he is spending time with former brother in arms Carl, protecting children at the orphanage he has set up. It is not all helping and healing though as his past pursues him in the form of a subpoena from the US Government to face questioning on charges of prisoner abuse (damn these liberals). However, just as Jack packs up to leave the country and move on again, a coup begins and rebels come to snatch up the children to be soldiers. Meanwhile in the existing country of USA , the first female President is being sworn in while, in the background, figures are covertly supporting the coup for their own reasons.

Everyone has been saying how long a wait it has been since day 6 finished, using words like "impatiently" etc but for me (as a viewer since hour 1) I felt that the break was a good thing. Day 6 was such a lacklustre season and played like an exaggerated pastiche of itself that the break does feel like an opportunity to send the makers away to sit in the corner and think about what they have done - and don't come back till you're sorry! With this bridging special I did worry that we would continue the trend of Jack being the hub of everything in the world, perhaps with the coup either being about him or with him preventing the entire thing - after all, the Bauer family are seemingly to blame for all evil deeds in the world. Fortunately the special harks back to the approach of season 1 and 2 which has dark deeds at a higher level and Jack thrown into them for reasons out of his hands, rather than being the creator and driver of all things.

This takes the form of a simpler plot where Jack is looking after the fleeing children in their short run to safety. It starts slow though, with a good thirty minutes of establishing material and scene setting before any urgency kicks in. After this we have the usual 24 material of action sequences, heroic/sacrificial deaths, neo-conservative subtexts (although that suggests they are subtle, which they are not), political going-ons and shadowy men doing hits on behalf of powerful men. All these are in place and, with the stripped down plot and Bauer influence, it does feel a lot more like the 24 I like. This is not to say it is perfect of course, because 24 never was - even when really good there was always plenty to make fun of it for. Here we have less that produced laughter but we still get handed a terribly clumsy attack on the UN in the form of a weirdly "European" character who is cowardly - clinging to "talking" like a weak-wristed liberal. Not only was this poor writing but it is a bit rich when you consider the real life conflicts in Africa and the level of US intervention in them, however even ignoring that it was a typically conservative piece of politics from 24 that must be a bit like a wet dream to Fox viewers!

Talking of real-life for a moment, I did find the setting and scenario of this special to be a little off-putting. The pace and "24-isms" of the film helped me keep my head in the world of fiction but there is no doubt that the world of child soldiers and African coups is a little too real to be purely entertainment and not have an edge of sorrow to it. The film mostly ignores the latter but it does manage to produce the former despite this, again by focusing on what the series does and just doing it. The cast are reasonable enough, all fitting into the classic clichés of the show. Sutherland is gruff and tough as ever and has a bit of chemistry with Carlyle, who doesn't have a lot to work with here other than hanging out with Sutherland for a bit. Bellows, Jones, Gunton, Feore and Voight all represent new faces in the usual characters. They do offer some hope though if Day 7 can keep the political mystery that this film had.

24: Redemption isn't a significant change to the series and those that do not like the series will not like this. However for those who found Day 6 to be a massive disappointment then it does represent a sort of redemption as it appears to be taking a slight step back towards what hooked us originally. This means the usual weaknesses as much as the strengths but it is still a quite entertaining film for 24 fans.

Jack Bauer, welcome back!

Author: Darwinskid from United States
23 November 2008

It's been a long time since Jack Bauer was seen on television and the same could be said for 24: Redemption's setting. For years now Jack Bauer has been staying in Africa assisting teacher Carl Benton as they tend to a group of abandoned children in a large house. Somewhere near by a group of rogues are taking children and turning them into little killing machines for their new nation, that is being funded by U.S. Department officer Frank Trammel and Jonas Hodges, if they meet Hodges demands. Trammel gives a disc filled with information about this to Nichols, who disobeys orders and takes the files to his house. Nervous, he seeks the aid of his best friend Roger Taylor, son of the new President Elect of the United States of America Allison Taylor. Back in Africa, the children play a game of soccer but are disrupted by the rogue soldiers, who kill two of them. They arrive at the house but Jack has made sure that the children are hidden safely. Jack makes his moves and gets their attention, they track him down quickly and take him o be tortured nearby so he can tell them about the location of the children. Carl soon finds Jack and assists, before he does assist Jack lies about the location of the children, and kills a few men before they kill him. Before Taylor is inaugurated into presidency she makes her first act to send the military to Africa to keep a hawk eye on it, find any of it's rogue soldiers, and rescue civilians. One Jack and Carl find out about this they try to get the children to the city but encounter a handful of the rogue soldiers on their way, can they make it to the military and get them and the children away? It's great to see 24 return to television. I've waited so long.

It was also a nice treat to see Jon Voight( One of my favorite actors) make an appearance on Redemption, as well as the return of Colm Feore and Tony Todd. It was also great to see such an underrated actor like Robert Carlyle as Carl Benton, he did a great job.

24: Redemption is full of emotions but not filled with the most plot twists like the previous seasons have had. But it doesn't hold back the believability aspects and retains it's dark side pretty well.

Season 7 of 24 is looking to be a good one, I just cant wait till January of next year.

Peace.

A 102-Minute Rendering of Material Inherently Designed for Hours and Hours of Television Over Months

Author: jzappa from Cincinnati, OH, United States
11 December 2008

If Rodney Dangerfield were alive, hardened and seasoned as a government agent, he would be Jack Bauer. Jack don't get no respect. Without spoiling the sixth season for those who have yet to watch it, our world-class hero Jack, always the odd one out, is now in a fictional African country, helping his old friend, played by the wonderful Robert Carlyle, with missionary work, trying to heal his staggering emotional wounds with peace. He has been served a subpoena to appear before the U.S. Senate concerning torture charges, but declines to go. A U.S. State Department official hints that the Embassy will cut funding for the school if Carlyle goes on protecting Jack, so Jack decides to leave. If that's not enough, he winds up stuck in the middle of a bloody military coup.

Redemption is entertaining and well-acted, and it certainly primes us for the seventh season. Nonetheless I can see why it has been a very long process preparing the theatrical 24 film. Redemption maintains the real-time structural element, which the theatrical film reportedly will not have, but either way, 24 is a series that has transcended the conceivable scope of the feature motion picture. The character archs, gigantic sequence of unravelings and long-term investment in the characters is inherently designed for hours and hours of television. Redemption, on the other hand, is only an hour and forty minutes, which even still is twenty minutes longer than the version that was broadcast on TV not including commercials.

Also, I am unsure of whether or not the creators wanted to have the opportunity to do a lone Jack Bauer piece, but using this TV film as objectivity, one can easily tell that one of the vital elements in the show's scaffolding is its colorful, deeply observed and brilliantly histrionic characters.

However, I am looking forward to Cherry Jones being president and hopefully being rid of Powers Boothe's weak and uncompromising president. And I hope Jon Voight doesn't play essentially the same character as he did in Enemy of the State.

Jack is back! 24 Season 7 starts with a great prequel

Author: fred-kolb from USA
26 November 2008

It has been almost 1.5 years since Jack Bauer was on TV, a very long time for a series that can make you addicted. The producers decided to make the wait a little more worthwhile and shot a prequel for the strongly anticipated 7th Season. Now, the film doesn't play in L.A. or involves the CTU, but plays in the fictional African country of Sangala, where children are trained to become soldiers, to overthrow the government.

Since Season 6, 18 months have gone by and it is Inauguration Day in the United States, a historical moment as the first female President is about to be sworn in. But President Elect Taylor has to find out that a military coup is about to take place in Sangala and President Noah Daniels has decided to evacuate the US embassy there. Another plot line follows Taylor's son Roger, who is informed by his friend, about the dirty business his company is involved in. In fact, the company and its client Jonas Hodges (Jon Voight) provide the African general Benjamin Juma with weapons to become dictator of Sangala.

Jack, who is wanted for torturing a suspect in the US, aids his old friend Carl Benton at his school in Sangala. Then he becomes involved in the coup, as Juma's soldiers arrive to pick up the kids and to train them as soldiers. Jack has to face another major crisis as he and Benton have to take the kids to the US embassy to be evacuated to the United States.

It was great to see a change of scenery in 24, from L.A. to Africa. I was very happy to see Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer again, and even though I had hoped for a little more action, the plot is logical (something that has been lacking during Season 6) and very intense, really focusing on some of the characters. Robert Carlyle does an excellent job as Carl Benton and Jon Voight steals every scene he's in, even though he doesn't appear that often in Redemption.

All in all, I'm really looking forward to Season 7 after the excellent prequel and am more more excited than ever to hear the clock again. Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick!

Thumbs up to Kiefer Sutherland for giving us a brilliant performance.

Author: Elizabeth from Chicago
10 March 2009

The opening sequence caught my attention and it was a completely different production style for "24", which makes this different from all the other seasons.

Jack Bauer has had many hectic days in his lifetime. Still Kiefer Sutherland manages to make you walk each scene with him.

!**(SPOILERS)**!

I loved the reveal in the beginning, when the boy stole his knife. In this short time I managed to care about Jack's friend and the children, which was why I loved this installment. Though I believed at first that his friend acted carelessly when he stepped on that land mine and it became obvious that they only placed him there to get rid of the army of men after Jack, but still, I felt Jack's loss. His expression when he realized that the blast he heard meant the end of his friend's life was beautifully played.

I actually love these kinds of story lines. I loved the color differentiation from Africa to the US. When in Africa there was the orange color and in the US-blue, which separated each location.

I loved this installment. The only thing I had a problem with was the short time used to warm up to some characters that died in the end and the boy that Jack refused to kill who kept repeating that one-liner from the opening scene; it was just too corny for me. Other than that I actually picture an interesting day. At some points I actually forget that all of these action sequences occur in one day. I am definitely looking forward for the next episode. This was actually a big risk for "24", taking on a different production style, set in South Africa, because at the end of the day it all comes down to whether or not the viewers would be able to adapt to this kind of plot line and I would say the writers pulled it off, I certainly enjoyed it.

___________________________ Four out of Five stars ___________________________

A Realistic Look at the Political Thriller

Author: sanddragon939
30 January 2012

I must confess that I've never really watched the 24 television series too date, but that didn't in the least inhibit my enjoyment of '24 Redemption'. In recent years, a great many espionage-thriller films have been touted as being 'realistic' and gritty...the Bourne trilogy, Mission Impossible 3 and Casino Royale the most prominent among these. But '24 Redemption' goes beyond mere pseudo-realistic presentation by bringing us virtually as close to the real world as a documentary. The military coup that engulfs the fictitious African nation of Zangala is no campy world domination scheme...its the kind of situation you could very well find yourself staring at in the evening news.

But the realistic element reaches its zenith in the depiction of the protagonist Jack Bauer. Again, I'm not as familiar with Sutherland's character as I'd like to be, so I don't know how he's been portrayed in the past. But Jack Bauer as seen in this film, comes across not so much as a badass super-agent/action hero (ala Jason Bourne or Ethan Hunt) but rather as a very human character...a soldier weary of war, running away from the ghosts of his past and yet finding himself confronted by even more violence. He is both emotionally and physically a vulnerable individual. Quiet unlike the steely countenance of Bourne of the outward flamboyance of James Bond, Bauer's reactions to the situations he faces in this film are deeply rooted in his emotions. True, he is every bit the professional soldier too...but ultimately, a human being.

'24 Redemption' may not be the most entertaining thriller out there...but if you want to watch a movie about the kind of action hero who CAN exist in real life, defusing the kind of situation which CAN arise in the real world; if only for the novelty if nothing else...then this is the ideal film!

Jack's Back!

Author: Matt Ryan from United Kingdom
25 November 2008

24:Redemption does exactly what it says on the tin! The last season of 24 wasn't too great but this 2 hour special definitely redeems itself! If you loved the first few seasons, you will love this! Without giving too much away, Jack is in hiding from the US government and as he learns that he is requested to report to the US embassy to face his punishment, he decides it's time to move on! But.....just as he is about to leave he gets caught up in a civil war! If you are expecting a beautifully directed and written masterpiece, then you will be disappointed but if you are looking for the non-stop, cheesy, far-fetched action that the first few seasons gave us, then you will LOVE this! Matt

Between 3 and 5 p.m. in real time

Author: Galina from Virginia, USA
27 November 2008

"24:Redemption", two-hours long TV movie that premiered last night, is a "bridge" connecting the last season that ended 18 months ago and the new one which we, the fans of the show have been waiting impatiently and which is scheduled to open in January 2009. The film takes place in real time format, just like all episodes do. After watching it, I am exited about upcoming season and I hope that 24 - Season 7 will be more like season 1 than season 6. Judging by the movie, "24: Redemption", there are many reasons for hope. The film is exiting, gripping, it uses every one of its minutes effectively, and it is much more plausible with its plot and Jack's relations and intentions. It was a good idea to take Jack out of LA and place him in one of hot places on the planet, Sangala, the fictional country in Africa, with very real problems that look too familiar. Jack is back, and he is in great shape, still invincible, resourceful, the man of action who would not lose ability to think clearly and to make the right decision even when being brutally tortured. I am truly sorry that we may not see Robert Carlyle again - the chemistry between him and Sutherland was very real, and their last scene together moved me like not many scenes during all seasons did. But who knows, nothing is what it seems when it comes to 24. Jon Voight's presence promises a creepy dangerous villain, and if the writers of the series keep up with what they did for the movie, we are in for thrilling, entertaining, unforgettable 24 hours from the life of one very special Federal Agent, Jack Bauer.