IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 26: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

C'mon its a harmless funny movie

Author: branjo-snow from United States
7 July 2008

This is funny no matter how you look at it, if you want top notch on the edge of your seat acting then grow up, that never ever happens in a comedy.

I was laughing quite a few times in this movie and so were others around me. If you don't get Mike Myers then your probably too serious of a person for a comedy, just go and watch The Colour Purple for the hundredth time (yuck!).

Don't take life so seriously its meant to be funny and I for one enjoyed this movie. At one point it feels like a bollywood movie but I liked how the Indian culture was represented here and treated with respect. The few surprise appearances by some very good actors was a great touch and dealt with very funny.

Fun for ALL the family 7/10

Fun movie to break off Mike Myers movie hiatus.

Author: riedud from United States
23 June 2008

Being a huge fan of Mike Myers I have to say that I was thoroughly disappointed with the previews for this film. Not having a huge desire to see the film I did end up watching it by default on a dinner date. I'm glad to say that the movie was much more entertaining and on par with most of Mike Myers past work. As the love Guru, Mike was true to the comical genius and work that fans of his have come to enjoy. Albeit not the greatest movie for 2008, I thought it was true to Mikes roots and had plenty of slapstick laughs. Even Jessica Alba's generally poor acting was well done here with her playing the unpopular owner of the Maple leafs. With the addition of Verne Troyer as the Maple leafs coach, Justin Timberlake as the antagonist and fellow upcoming popular actor Romany Malco, the movie had a good cast. I was pleased that there were no dry spots and the movie played consistent until the end. Overall I give the movie a 7 with it being decidedly funnier than this years long list of crappy comedy's. If your a fan of Mike Myers, I recommend this fun movie.

Not great, but not as bad as people say...

Author: TK Yang (tehkao) from Los Angeles, CA
23 June 2008

I don't understand the hate for this movie. If you are being totally objective, this movie's "quality" of humor is no worse than in Mike Myer's last two Austin Powers movies...lots of body fluid jokes, penis jokes, defecating jokes, midget jokes, etc. And if you can tolerate ridiculous characters like Fat Bastard I don't see why you would have any problem with the ones in this movie. I actually found Verne Troyer to be quite funny in this one and not just because of his midgetness. He delivered some of the best lines. I also thought Stephen Colbert's portrayal of the insane sportscaster to be quite hilarious. Anyway, overall this was a lot like Myer's previous comedies...a lot of vulgar jokes, some don't work, some do...but I think I found myself laughing more watching the Love Guru than the Austin Powers movies.

A good laugh!!

Author: Samir Gharbaoui from United Kingdom
14 July 2008

I personally found this film so funny! I think this is Myers's best character to date, move over Austin(got bored after 1st)... I laughed throughout the film and had to watch it a second time. I can't for the life of me understand the negative comments made about this movie, probably all die hard Austin fans that can't cope with the change. Firstly this is not to be taken seriously (as all comedies by the way), If you are in a silly mood and can take a joke without trying to be a smart a** "I'm too mature" person then this is one for you. It has it's clever moments of comedy brilliance as well.. Ben Kingsley makes a great appearance as the cross eyed mentor. Justin Timberlake impressed me as the hilarious Celine Dion fanatic Grande. And Myers creates another fantastic character. A great treat from a great comedian of our times. Loved it! Fantastic fun!!! If you are bored and feeling nowhere then watch this film and you will find yourself "now-here"TM lol! Enjoy

A response to the most influential comment.

Author: Bammer from United States
25 June 2008

I just watched this movie last night. I decided to come online because I wanted to see if I could find the abbreviations(the actual word for the meaning escapes me right now)..(searched the word..anagrams)...so I'll show an example of what I was looking for. B. asic I. nstructions B. efore L. eaving E. arth

The movie is filled with these and although it seems the majority didn't like the film, I have to say that I enjoyed it. Maybe my opinion is a bit biased, considering just last week a show on TV called Iconoclasts aired. It is a documentary about Deepak Chopra and how much he's impacted Meyer's life. They go back and forth on how many of Chopra's principles are found in acting. Meyer's goes on to describe how and when he came up with Guru Pitka and then later reveals to the viewer that in basically all his movies, a deeper meaning is found for those who are really into their spirituality. So when I was watching the movie, it really got me thinking. For those of you who have seen it, if you can separate what the movie is trying to do on the forefront and concentrate on what's really going on, you'll find that there really is a lot of wisdom in the witty jokes that Meyer's spews.

I did sense a lack of plot, but the movie was entertaining and it a must-see just because of the many anagrams. Although, my favorite part was when he was in the plane with Jessica Alba. Because sometimes its not what you say, but how you say it. Oooo, he rubbed off on me :P

Come on, it wasn't that bad!

Author: widdleswife from United States
22 June 2008

On a rainy Sunday afternoon the theater was packed and folks were howling. Lighten up! I thought Justin Timberlake was a hoot and Stephen Colbert stole the show. Was it classic, rib-cracking comedy? No, but I certainly didn't want to blindly run screaming into traffic afterwards. Mediocre? Maybe, but not as dead-in-the-water as some viewers would have it. If you're looking for brilliant wit, rent The Big Lebowski or Noises Off with the late John Ritter. Or, watch any movie that involves Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill and/or Paul Rudd... Wait a minute. Didn't "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" die a shockingly rapid death? Whoops.

Kind and funny - a must see!

Author: caspare from Berlin, Germany
28 October 2008

If you liked Austin Powers, this movie is a "must see". While it comes with some heavy jokes, it also serves witty humor far from being superficial stupidities to the more experienced Guru-lover. One Example:

B est I nstructions B efore L eaving E arth

;) - however, if you are a bone dry person with a taste for "political correct humor only" - this movie is not made for you. Myers, however, did it again: a very original and funny movie I enjoyed nearly as much as Austin Powers 1-3. Even my girlfriend who wanted to leave after 15 min told me she liked it after 90 min.

Not As Bad As You Might Think

Author: G.
24 August 2008

Although this may be the worst film of Mike Myers career, it is definitely not the worst of the year. Yes the film is ridden with penis jokes. Yes there are bad puns. In the end however, The Love Guru doesn't fail to make you laugh many times. It does use Verne Troyer offensively as the butt of many jokes, and doesn't have much of a meaning, but when a film can make you laugh for most of the running time, there is something great about that.

Most of the jokes are hit and miss, but there are so many of them that at least a few will have you in stitches. In a time where "Genre" Spoof Movies are bringing in millions, the Love Guru is at least a little taste of originality. We all know that Myers can make us laugh, but we might not of known it would take so little.

My last comment is that the Love Guru is very similar to Leslie Neilsen's WRONGFULLY ACCUSED. A very funny film that is worth catching once, because of all the laughs you'll get, but watching it a second time is like cheese gratering your face. The Love Guru isn't that bad, but it has the same feel. Worth catching on TV or at the Video store if you want to turn your brain off and have a good laugh.

Quite possibly the worse movie in 2008

Author: yobigc99 from Australia
5 August 2008

Now I've seen my fair share of bad movies. Sometimes a bad movie is a "good" movie in that it's a half decent way to whittle away a weekend afternoon when you have nothing better to do. You know a movie that you don't have to think too hard about and that is designed to be watched whilst sinking a few beers and downing a bag of chips.

But then comes along a movie like this with A-list type stars (at least B-movies your expectations are kind of set) that is simply robbing you of 1.5 hours of your weekend afternoon.

Mike Myers and Jessica Alba - shame on you for picking such a pathetically scripted movie with almost no redeeming features. The jokes aren't funny it's just bad, real bad! Even if paid by some schmuck off the street to watch it, I'd suggest handing them the money back Thumbs Down!

I have seen a ton of movies in my life- Love Guru is one of the worst.

Author: mikepgagnon from United States
21 July 2008

Summary: Wait for this one on Cable if you must see it- don't waste your money or movie queue on this one. Keep a vomit bucket close and expect to leave it with the IQ of an earthworm. I expect this one will hit the bottom once it hits DVD.

What happened to Mike Myers wit circa Wayne's World, Axe Murderer, and Austin Powers? There hasn't been a SNL alum that has bombed so badly since Julia Sweeneythe's "Pat" movie(IMDb # tt0110169). Even bad movies I give a chance hoping to see some gleaming moment of humor, meaning, or purpose. I stopped caring about the movie 5 minutes in and regrettably stopped watching and left after about an hour. Oh the things I could have done in that hour- It is truly a shame that none of that could have been completed. This movie is not only juvenile, it is just plain stupid, slow, and humorless (unless you are an awkward 10 year old that found The Cat in the Hat a work of art) Myers once said in an interview that if he can make his wife laugh at his jokes, he knows they are good. Nobody laughed at this movie when I saw it, so I hope she isn't doing you the disservice of laughing at these "jokes" and "gags"(uhggg I really hesitate calling them that). I hope Meyers sticks to the formulas for his most recent successes: Prewritten scripts for animated movies. I only hope he leaves the turn and burn movie platform (lower budget stupid movies to turn any profit) behind and re-establishes a witty persona more suited of his age.

Best of luck Meyers- I will wait for your next one on DVD too.