IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 25: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

See it for yourself.

Author: k-dhesi from United Kingdom
25 May 2009

Ignore all the sad haters. The film is actually funny. It's very silly, yes but funny. It was no were near brilliant off coarse but it made me laugh from all it's stupid jokes. Mike myers is legendary, he will bring some nice laughs. He played his role very well and made it believable.

It had a big familiar cast. And yes they all did very well even Justin Timberlake. It's not to much to say but The Love Guru is quite hilarious, see it with a open mind and then surely you should laugh. The low score is only because people are expecting another "Austin Powers" and this movie is far from that. But it still very funny.

Not very good... and i really enjoyed it.

Author: roger-a from kitchener, canada
20 October 2008

Movies are rather personal, aren't they? Enjoying this one helps if you are a Leafs fan and of Mike Myers and Deepak Chopra. I am on all three accounts.

I played hockey with nice guy, Mike, while I was in L.A. in 2000. Since then my daughter (who was five in 2000) have gotten hooked on his Austin Powers films.

We both walked out of the theatre after viewing Guru and said, "It wasn't very good and I really liked it." The spiritual ideas are sound but it's his joy of life that comes through. Like that of Deepak Chopra.

Yes, the pooh-pooh jokes are sometimes old, sometimes gross but for those that are used to it, they don't deter.

Compare the joyous nature of Mike's character in this film (which truly is 'his') and that of Cat in the Hat. How can you go wrong with Dr. Suess? But Cat falls flat.

This is not a hit for the masses. Screw that! I hope he continues to make 'his' films, his way.

Not as bad as everyone says

Author: death-to-neds from United Kingdom
15 October 2008

Most people that watched this movie hated it.

i actually thought it was pretty funny.

It was completely stupid and pointless and nowhere near mike myers best film but it was still entertaining none the less.

I thought the whole idea of mike myers being an Indian love guru was hilarious.

I laughed a lot during the film.

It is by no means a classic and not one to be remembered but it is worth watching at least once. if you like it that's good and if you don't fair enough but don't take everyone's word for it. go and see it for yourself and you decide what you think. i look forward to seeing more comedy from mike myers like Austin Powers 4 and maybe Waynes World 3.

Very UnderRated

Author: outkastsker20 from United States
7 October 2008

I think this movie is highly underrated, it was really okay. The cast was well picked and everyone did a good job at making their characters' believable. The storyline of Mike Meyers character "Guru Pitka" did not veer off from the movie's title at all. Mike Meyers may have used the same approach of delivering his jokes as in past movies, but that's his style. It's like Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider being in the same movie a bunch of times, you know you're in for a boat load of the same comedy. All comedians have their own way of telling jokes and audiences will take it in differently. Most of the jokes told in this movie are more for the "sick minded" and those who aren't, will have a hard time understanding them.

Myers does it again

Author: pmdawn
11 July 2008

I remember when the first Austin Powers movie came out. I was a teenager back then and I just thought the movie was brilliant. I have rewatched it many times. To this day, me and my friends have inside jokes, like Dr Evil's ticks, much like today's kids have Borat. And hey, he was also in the Wayne's World movies and was funny in SNL. He couldn't do any wrong.

However, the sequel was a huge hit and Myers seems to have taken the wrong lesson from that movie's success. The things that made the first Austin Powers movie funny were NOT the fart jokes, they never were. The third movie was a complete disgrace, with Myers trying to imitate Eddie Murphy's bad habit of impersonating many characters and upping the ante with bad taste jokes. Perhaps more alarming was the distinct impression that he was the only one laughing at his jokes, to the point when it just got embarrassing.

Keep in mind that I'm someone who even likes Rob Schneider's comedies (except for The Animal) and virtually every parody movie I can get my hands on - including the equally-hated Meet The Spartans. I have high tolerance towards silly and stupid comedies.

Well, here Myers does it again. Guru "Pitka", his character, is a well-meaning but incompetent spiritual guru who wants to be more famous than Deepak Chopra. The problem is that his incompetence includes his joke-telling skills. You know it. When Myers tells a joke, then there's an uncomfortable moment, and then he explodes into laughter forcing the other person to laugh along so as not to make things even more uncomfortable. It's really telling and ironic that Myers himself did that exact thing as Dr. Evil, but back then it was funny. Now it's not.

Verne Troyer is here but now he's the head coach (!) of The Toronto Maple Leafs. All the main actors are okay, since the plot doesn't demand too much from them, and there are more than a few cameo appearances. However, there were two unexpected surprises: John Oliver of The Daily Show fame as the Guru's "agent" and the now legendary Stephen Colbert - he's hilarious in every scene he's in.

Myers sometimes uses clever inside jokes - some that hockey fans or Canadians will get, some that "Wayne's World" fans will get, and some that are so lame that nobody really gets.

To be fair though, this doesn't deserve the abysmal rating it's getting. There are a few laughs and the sheer absurdity of some scenes is hilarious. Unfortunately, though, the bulk of The Love Guru's jokes really concerns farts and uncomfortable moments.

As a comedy on a lazy day, I give it a 5/10. However I cannot really defend The Love Guru because I think it's time for Myers to stop doing movies like this and be funny again without resorting to lame plots and fart jokes. We've had enough of that.

Definitely watchable

Author: Robert Andreas from Normandy, France
19 July 2011

Now many reviews say how terrible this film is, honestly, I find that offensive. Sure, this is no classic, neither is it one to watch more than once, but it's definitely worth watching. Mike Meyers decides to take on a completely ridiculous role and the co-stars choose to do the same, who would have thought that Ben Kingsley would play the character he played in this film.

It seems that the whole idea of silly humor has lost its popularity in the recent years, and films such as Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Robin Hood Men in Tights and other classic comedies are all being forgotten. I don't know about you but the comedies that are deemed funny today aren't particularly funny, just watchable, entertaining at most. The Love Guru is not a fantastic movie, but it's fun to watch and you could even see yourself quoting it every now and then. Don't let the rating fool you, if you have it, or want to watch something lighthearted, watch this film

Good for pure entertainment

Author: arun-banik from India
27 November 2009

As from the dialog, "good distraction frees us from emotional pain bad distraction gives u a mouthful of whiz" I think its really true. Those who had rated this film very very bad I feel pity for them. They are all emotionally sick.................SAD SOULS of this earth. The only purpose of a comedy movie is to provide pure laughter that will make us forget all our sadness & worries & tension and this film has served that purpose well. Mike Myers is really amazing competed by Justin Timberlake. Besides the theme music made by fusion music is really amazing. And worth mentioning here that those people who cant say, "Gee U r U" they really lack confidence, faith and belief on themselves.

funniest Mike Myers movie yet

Author: garygroups from United States
3 October 2008

I think the problem is not that the movie is "juvenile" or "self indulgent", but rather that so many of the reviewers here are! If you don't like comedy, then why the hell are you writing a review on a Mike Myers film? The point of "The Love Guru" is to make you laugh, not to win Academy Awards. If your goal in watching it is to laugh, then unless you have no sense of humo(u)r, you can't go wrong with the Love Guru. I was laughing so much I had to pause the DVD a few times -- it is absolutely hilarious, I found it much more consistently funny than any of the austin powers movies that all the amateur movie reviewers here probably fell over themselves trying to get to their iphones to type glowing reviews for. Furthermore, I'd say it's LESS self-indulgent and LESS potty humor oriented than austin powers (which isn't to say there isn't plenty of both -- there is - if you don't love scatological humor then why the hell would you watch Mike Myers??). The real problem is perhaps that it takes on "spiritual" subjects with hilarious results, which will perhaps hit people a bit too close to home...

There are so many hilarious references to sports, to the "self improvement" world, to Indian culture, there is a lot to like here. I think the movie is a bit ahead of it's time, it will perhaps be better liked in 5 years than now. But don't be dissuaded by bad reviews from people that don't really enjoy comedy or possess an actual sense of humor -- check it out for yourself! But leave your ego at the door, and enjoy it for what it is.

Precisely as juvenile and ridiculous as you'd expect and yet somehow I did laugh...a lot

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
6 July 2008

I think by now anyone who sees a Mike Myers film can expect the same recipe that has made him billions, the Austin Powers recipe. How can you hate on The Love Guru when it is exactly everything that the Austin Powers films were? For all the terrible reviews and constant heckling about the content of this film after all was said and done I actually thought it wasn't half bad. Ridiculous? You better believe it. Childish? Completely. Making you laugh when you feel guilty about laughing at such stupidity? That's called Mike Myers. Some compare this film to the earlier Adam Sandler film You Don't Mess With The Zohan (see my review) and yet I can say in all honesty I thought The Love Guru was far more entertaining than Zohan in many ways. Maybe it's simply that Mike Myers can pull of childish humor better than any man...or comedian alive and that's what seems to make him tick. I'm not encouraging anyone to rush out and see this and I'm not telling you it's any great feat of film making by any means and it shouldn't be compared to anything really currently in theaters. All I am saying is for the expectations I had and for stupid humor it was watchable and even humorous at times.

Mike Myers is remarkably only one character...Guru Pitka, a white man who was raised in the traditions of Eastern religion and is now the world's second leading Guru (behind Deepak Chopra--a running gag in the film.) Myers is silly and funny and damn it he's having a good time and that's what makes this film insatiably watchable despite your better judgment. His character, like so many others he has created, is somehow lovable and fun to watch. His acting stinks but clearly he's doing an elongated skit and it's like the friend you have who always does stupid voices and makes you laugh. Jessica Alba sticks out like a hot sore thumb in this film. The last person you'd expect to see in this as a major leading character and somehow a romantic interest for Myers is Jessica Alba. She does alright although her strong suit is really standing there and looking hot and saying a few lines and she is really good at that. Romany Malco is decent enough as a troubled hockey player and the straight man to Myers jokes. Verne Troyer (yes Mini Me) plays the Maple Leafs coach and probably gives one of the best actual acting performances in the entire film. He's funny in an angry kind of way and just really does a great job. Finally the star of the show the entire reason to see this film...Justin Timberlake. I knew after he hosted Saturday Night Live this guy had comedic talent and he just blows you away as the well endowed Celine Dion obsessed French Canadian goalie for the Kings. He is hilarious and he is having a great time too clearly. It's not a role that requires anything but to have a good time and act like a goof and his is awesome. He outshines even Myers with his comedy. Also check out a substantial comedic cameo by none other than Sir Ben Kingsley as the cross eyed Guru Tugginmypudha. Also the film is chock full of Hollywood cameos including Deepak Chopra, Jessica Simpson, Kanye West, Rob Blake, Val Kilmer and a funny little cameo by Law and Order's Mariska Hargitay.

The movie is not a good movie case closed and it doesn't try to be. It's like going to a wild party for an hour and a half and I left and I actually felt good, still laughing at how stupid some of it was and yet isn't that exactly what they were trying to do? The sheer idea of Buddhists or any religion being upset about this film is ludicrous. It never once tries to take itself seriously or even take jabs at Indian culture. I've seen comedies and dramas that are far more ignorant to religions and cultures than this could ever be because it's like they are standing up and saying...this is not serious now have fun!! Toilet humor abounds, stupid jokes, eye rolling humor and yet somehow it's just fun. So if you think you might enjoy something like this then take this over Zohan any day because it's the dumbest thing in the theaters but you won't feel like you wasted your time or money. I'd even probably sit through it again for Justin Timberlake alone. This is director Marco Schnabel's debut and I think he probably just let Mike Myers have his way but this is what you should expect. 6/10

C'mon its a harmless funny movie

Author: branjo-snow from United States
7 July 2008

This is funny no matter how you look at it, if you want top notch on the edge of your seat acting then grow up, that never ever happens in a comedy.

I was laughing quite a few times in this movie and so were others around me. If you don't get Mike Myers then your probably too serious of a person for a comedy, just go and watch The Colour Purple for the hundredth time (yuck!).

Don't take life so seriously its meant to be funny and I for one enjoyed this movie. At one point it feels like a bollywood movie but I liked how the Indian culture was represented here and treated with respect. The few surprise appearances by some very good actors was a great touch and dealt with very funny.

Fun for ALL the family 7/10