IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 25: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Naughty, Silly, Stupid and Highly Underrated!

Author: Floyd Lawson from Corona, CA
15 November 2013

Mike Myers has done some very forgettable movies... Wayne's World II, The Cat in the Hat, the last 3 Shrek disasters... but this isn't one of them. If just for the sake of pure adult fun, this movie is a winner hands down. Is it high art? Definitely not. Is it laugh-out loud funny with crude humor, gross-out moments and millions of sight gags? Absolutely.

It seems like people take movies so seriously these days that they forget how to watch a movie just for the fun of it. Granted, this movie will probably appeal more to men than women, but there's plenty of naughty chuckles for everyone. This movie is an odd, twisted conglomeration of Canadian Hockey and Eastern Mysticism, which is merely a loose framework on which Myers strings joke after joke, gag after gag, often taking the oldest jokes in the book and giving them new meaning and zing.

I have hundreds of movies in my disc collection, and this is one of the very few that I can take out and watch over and over when I need a good laugh. I recommend taking a lazy afternoon to throw on this movie, particularly with a couple of good friends, pop open a beer and sit back for some extremely strange and goofy fun. You'll find yourself with plenty of quotable lines, unforgettable outrageous scenes and a smile on your face.

WARNING: This movie is not for pucker-butts. If you're uptight and prissy, please stay far away from this film.

One of the Funniest Movies I've Ever Seen.

Author: Allan Hunkin from Vancouver
18 October 2013

Having been in the self-help and spirituality movements for over 30 years I can say in all honesty that this is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Kudo's to Deepak for providing so many clichés. Even more for being the brunt of so many jokes.

Myers captures Deepaks voice to the tee.

The message is to laugh at yourself while you are 'healing' your wounded inner child and believe you can be successful in spite of all the dysfunction inside and outside of yourself.

It is so fast that you'll have to watch it a few times because three jokes have already gone by when you take the time to belly laugh.

Mike is truly a comedic genius and a Canadian National Treasure.

Allan Hunkin Worthiness.com :)

hilarious film to watch

Author: Andrew Dubowitz from califonia, USA
24 February 2013

I know it looks weird to review a film that has been critically hated and has won several Razzies, including Worst Picture, like I'm harboring a fugitive, but It's okay to have my own opinion. I find this film very good but hilarious, though to me I would briefly say that it won't fit in with the other films like Austin Powers or Shrek, but can stand on it own to being funny. Mike Myers' was outrageously funny as Guru Pitka, I laugh to death at two scenes in the movie, were he spoofs the electric company and gets in a fight with a rooster. The jokes were funny and outstanding. The film also star Verne Troyer, who does Mini Me from Austin Powers. Despite the negativity, I find this film truly funny.

Why is this movie so underrated?

Author: oomooism from Seattle, WA
9 September 2012

It is possibly Meyer's best. I am very surprised at the huge negative reaction to this film.

It is the usual silly low-brow fun from Mike Meyers and anyone who appreciates his other films ought to find a lot to love in this one.

Totally baffled at the public reaction to this one. Unless it is the publicized objections of the Hindu community, but honestly, I didn't make any connection to them when watching it. It reminds me more of a kooky new age cult than any specific religion. But even so, every other religion and ethnicity has been subject to comedic parody of one sort of another. All is fair in love, war and comedy.

We have it on DVD and have watched it dozens of times and still love it every time. I hope there will be a sequel.

Some day people will come around to appreciate it's genius, that's all I can say.

See it for yourself.

Author: k-dhesi from United Kingdom
25 May 2009

Ignore all the sad haters. The film is actually funny. It's very silly, yes but funny. It was no were near brilliant off coarse but it made me laugh from all it's stupid jokes. Mike myers is legendary, he will bring some nice laughs. He played his role very well and made it believable.

It had a big familiar cast. And yes they all did very well even Justin Timberlake. It's not to much to say but The Love Guru is quite hilarious, see it with a open mind and then surely you should laugh. The low score is only because people are expecting another "Austin Powers" and this movie is far from that. But it still very funny.

Not very good... and i really enjoyed it.

Author: roger-a from kitchener, canada
20 October 2008

Movies are rather personal, aren't they? Enjoying this one helps if you are a Leafs fan and of Mike Myers and Deepak Chopra. I am on all three accounts.

I played hockey with nice guy, Mike, while I was in L.A. in 2000. Since then my daughter (who was five in 2000) have gotten hooked on his Austin Powers films.

We both walked out of the theatre after viewing Guru and said, "It wasn't very good and I really liked it." The spiritual ideas are sound but it's his joy of life that comes through. Like that of Deepak Chopra.

Yes, the pooh-pooh jokes are sometimes old, sometimes gross but for those that are used to it, they don't deter.

Compare the joyous nature of Mike's character in this film (which truly is 'his') and that of Cat in the Hat. How can you go wrong with Dr. Suess? But Cat falls flat.

This is not a hit for the masses. Screw that! I hope he continues to make 'his' films, his way.

Not as bad as everyone says

Author: death-to-neds from United Kingdom
15 October 2008

Most people that watched this movie hated it.

i actually thought it was pretty funny.

It was completely stupid and pointless and nowhere near mike myers best film but it was still entertaining none the less.

I thought the whole idea of mike myers being an Indian love guru was hilarious.

I laughed a lot during the film.

It is by no means a classic and not one to be remembered but it is worth watching at least once. if you like it that's good and if you don't fair enough but don't take everyone's word for it. go and see it for yourself and you decide what you think. i look forward to seeing more comedy from mike myers like Austin Powers 4 and maybe Waynes World 3.

Very UnderRated

Author: outkastsker20 from United States
7 October 2008

I think this movie is highly underrated, it was really okay. The cast was well picked and everyone did a good job at making their characters' believable. The storyline of Mike Meyers character "Guru Pitka" did not veer off from the movie's title at all. Mike Meyers may have used the same approach of delivering his jokes as in past movies, but that's his style. It's like Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider being in the same movie a bunch of times, you know you're in for a boat load of the same comedy. All comedians have their own way of telling jokes and audiences will take it in differently. Most of the jokes told in this movie are more for the "sick minded" and those who aren't, will have a hard time understanding them.

Myers does it again

Author: pmdawn
11 July 2008

I remember when the first Austin Powers movie came out. I was a teenager back then and I just thought the movie was brilliant. I have rewatched it many times. To this day, me and my friends have inside jokes, like Dr Evil's ticks, much like today's kids have Borat. And hey, he was also in the Wayne's World movies and was funny in SNL. He couldn't do any wrong.

However, the sequel was a huge hit and Myers seems to have taken the wrong lesson from that movie's success. The things that made the first Austin Powers movie funny were NOT the fart jokes, they never were. The third movie was a complete disgrace, with Myers trying to imitate Eddie Murphy's bad habit of impersonating many characters and upping the ante with bad taste jokes. Perhaps more alarming was the distinct impression that he was the only one laughing at his jokes, to the point when it just got embarrassing.

Keep in mind that I'm someone who even likes Rob Schneider's comedies (except for The Animal) and virtually every parody movie I can get my hands on - including the equally-hated Meet The Spartans. I have high tolerance towards silly and stupid comedies.

Well, here Myers does it again. Guru "Pitka", his character, is a well-meaning but incompetent spiritual guru who wants to be more famous than Deepak Chopra. The problem is that his incompetence includes his joke-telling skills. You know it. When Myers tells a joke, then there's an uncomfortable moment, and then he explodes into laughter forcing the other person to laugh along so as not to make things even more uncomfortable. It's really telling and ironic that Myers himself did that exact thing as Dr. Evil, but back then it was funny. Now it's not.

Verne Troyer is here but now he's the head coach (!) of The Toronto Maple Leafs. All the main actors are okay, since the plot doesn't demand too much from them, and there are more than a few cameo appearances. However, there were two unexpected surprises: John Oliver of The Daily Show fame as the Guru's "agent" and the now legendary Stephen Colbert - he's hilarious in every scene he's in.

Myers sometimes uses clever inside jokes - some that hockey fans or Canadians will get, some that "Wayne's World" fans will get, and some that are so lame that nobody really gets.

To be fair though, this doesn't deserve the abysmal rating it's getting. There are a few laughs and the sheer absurdity of some scenes is hilarious. Unfortunately, though, the bulk of The Love Guru's jokes really concerns farts and uncomfortable moments.

As a comedy on a lazy day, I give it a 5/10. However I cannot really defend The Love Guru because I think it's time for Myers to stop doing movies like this and be funny again without resorting to lame plots and fart jokes. We've had enough of that.

Definitely watchable

Author: Robert Andreas from Normandy, France
19 July 2011

Now many reviews say how terrible this film is, honestly, I find that offensive. Sure, this is no classic, neither is it one to watch more than once, but it's definitely worth watching. Mike Meyers decides to take on a completely ridiculous role and the co-stars choose to do the same, who would have thought that Ben Kingsley would play the character he played in this film.

It seems that the whole idea of silly humor has lost its popularity in the recent years, and films such as Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Robin Hood Men in Tights and other classic comedies are all being forgotten. I don't know about you but the comedies that are deemed funny today aren't particularly funny, just watchable, entertaining at most. The Love Guru is not a fantastic movie, but it's fun to watch and you could even see yourself quoting it every now and then. Don't let the rating fool you, if you have it, or want to watch something lighthearted, watch this film