IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 25: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Awful & unoriginal!

Author: raypdaley182 from Coventry
11 July 2008

Take every bad idea from Austin Powers & Wayne's World, liberally mix them with "The Guru" (starring Jimi Mistry & Heather Graham, obviously where Myers stole the idea for this film) and you've got this excuse for a film. Most of the jokes (if you can call them that) are 1 laugh only, if that. Most of them are actually no laughs at all but that doesn't stop Myers jamming them down your throat with the vain hope you might find them funny if he repeats them often enough. A lot of this movie is recycled ideas from the various Austin Powers films and Myers' love of bad puns and word play (he might want to watch Ronnie Barker in "The Two Ronnies" who has been doing it longer, much better and without repeating himself).

Possibly the only funny moment in the film is when Pitka is being beaten up by 2 children in a bar fight. Worst moment would be the "3 girls named Ann" joke. Myers also managed to not only ruin my favourite song by Extreme but also missed a great opportunity for a good cameo (he could have had the Extreme lead singer playing the sitar). Most of the jokes in this film are funny if you are a boy of 12, sadly I'm not 12 any more and Myers is just trying too hard for the entire film. Most punchlines can be seen from a mile away. Verne Troyer has pretty much destroyed any credible career he might have ever had by agreeing to be in this garbage. And don't even mention the "Elephants" scene which is not only totally pointless but slows down the movie at exactly the wrong moment. Myers doing a cameo as himself is the ultimate in ego indulgence in a film, the eventual outcomes are way too obvious as well.

Roanoake wins The Stanley Cup, gets his girl back from Jacques Grande (played very badly by Justin Timberlake), stands up to his mother and Guru Pitka loses his chastity belt, gets the girl & thus is the rip-off of Jimi Mistry's "The Guru" complete, right down to the Bollywood version of a Western dance number at the end.

Sadly this was just a movie to indulge Mike Myers and his love of childish humour so he's made no progress as either a writer or an actor since he made Wayne's World. Anyone could have filled Jessica Alba's role as she's completely forgettable (Heather Graham was much better in "The Guru", far sexier, a better actress and she could actually sing & dance better too!) and not enough was made of Pitka's sidekick/manservant who deserved a much bigger part in the movie.

Not recommended to even the most hardcore Mike Myers fan. Avoid!

An absolute shocker.

Author: carrjudd from Australia
11 July 2008

I had a feeling that this movie was going to be bad but I had no idea how awful this stinker was going to be.

I had heard bad things but I liked all the Austin Powers movies and pretty much everything else Mike Myers had done. How gutted I was however when I found myself sitting in front of this stinker.

It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what was wrong with this thing but I think it was a combination of stinky things. Screen writing, direction, editing were the most obvious weak points. It's like the studio said to Myers "you just do whatever you want and nobody will interfere" and really somebody should have.

I actually stopped watching about forty minutes into the film because I had better things to do (like cutting my toenails).

Avoid this crap at all costs.

The Slap-stick Swami

Author: Theodore Keating from NJ, United States
9 November 2013

I found this movie to be crude, but interesting. Mike Myers didn't exactly reach the same level of cultural achievement as George Harrison here, but still there was some interesting work on cultural stereotypes.

Basically it's a story of a white swami (Mike Myers) who helps a black hockey player (The 40-Year-Old-Virgin's Romany Malco) get his baby back. So in a way it's one of those white-guy-hangs-out-with-black-guy flicks, with the added layer that both of them have, I guess you could say, racially unstereotypical roles.

Actually the theme of breaking social barriers is something of a theme of the film. (And obviously this is also done by the rather cheap jokes, but I suppose you could look at that as the attempt to sell the unpopular.) Justin Timberlake plays the French Canadian hockey player who steals the black guy's wife, creating a sideplot of an interracial relationship. The love guru himself is a white American inheritor of thousands of years of Indian tradition. Possibly even more different, is that a black gentleman becomes a student of these Indian teachings.

To do this, he must confront his past, in the form of his mother, who is a very strident woman active in the black church (with his non-black non-Christian friend in tow). And then, to process this encounter, the pair repair back to a bar (where the hockey player, oddly enough, is the only non-white). More examples of this sort of playing with stereotypes could be multiplied, since it's essentially what the movie's about. In fact, I might guess at if it's relative lack of popularity might have something to do with the sense that it's not always very positive in its portrayal of the average hockey fan....

Of course, the film's budget made the inclusion of a Beatles song out of the question, but it is interesting that they named the wife Prudence, which for me, at least, brings to mind the song "Dear Prudence", which John Lennon wrote while the band was visiting an ashram in India.

But of course all that doesn't make the film a *good* picture. The constant reaching for cheap laughs marks it as a film meant simply for laughing, perhaps, rather than a really insightful picture of daily life, which many comedies are. But it also doesn't deserve the sort of heartless vitriol which some comedies so easily attract to themselves from the perhaps pompous sort. It deserves to be seen as a movie with *some* merit.

(7/10)

One of the Funniest Movies I've Ever Seen.

Author: Allan Hunkin from Vancouver
18 October 2013

Having been in the self-help and spirituality movements for over 30 years I can say in all honesty that this is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Kudo's to Deepak for providing so many clichés. Even more for being the brunt of so many jokes.

Myers captures Deepaks voice to the tee.

The message is to laugh at yourself while you are 'healing' your wounded inner child and believe you can be successful in spite of all the dysfunction inside and outside of yourself.

It is so fast that you'll have to watch it a few times because three jokes have already gone by when you take the time to belly laugh.

Mike is truly a comedic genius and a Canadian National Treasure.

Allan Hunkin Worthiness.com :)

Probably The Worst Comedy Of All Time,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
24 June 2013

The Love Guru is a dreadful movie with a bunch of painfully unfunny jokes,and I'm pretty sure I didn't laugh once while watching this movie.U really like Mike Myers,I love Wayne's World,Austin Powers and Shrek and he's the only reason why I watched this movie,but he was the worst part of this movie.His character Guru Pitka was extremely annoying and possibly the most unlikeable character I've ever seen in any movie,and the scene where we see Young Pitka (a young boy with Mike Myers forty year old face edited on) is just disturbing.The entire movie is a big insult to comedy and I would recommend it to absolutely nobody.

The Guru Pitka (Mike Myers) heads back to America in order to help a hockey player with his love life in order to do well in the final game.

hilarious film to watch

Author: Andrew Dubowitz from califonia, USA
24 February 2013

I know it looks weird to review a film that has been critically hated and has won several Razzies, including Worst Picture, like I'm harboring a fugitive, but It's okay to have my own opinion. I find this film very good but hilarious, though to me I would briefly say that it won't fit in with the other films like Austin Powers or Shrek, but can stand on it own to being funny. Mike Myers' was outrageously funny as Guru Pitka, I laugh to death at two scenes in the movie, were he spoofs the electric company and gets in a fight with a rooster. The jokes were funny and outstanding. The film also star Verne Troyer, who does Mini Me from Austin Powers. Despite the negativity, I find this film truly funny.

Why is this movie so underrated?

Author: oomooism from Seattle, WA
9 September 2012

It is possibly Meyer's best. I am very surprised at the huge negative reaction to this film.

It is the usual silly low-brow fun from Mike Meyers and anyone who appreciates his other films ought to find a lot to love in this one.

Totally baffled at the public reaction to this one. Unless it is the publicized objections of the Hindu community, but honestly, I didn't make any connection to them when watching it. It reminds me more of a kooky new age cult than any specific religion. But even so, every other religion and ethnicity has been subject to comedic parody of one sort of another. All is fair in love, war and comedy.

We have it on DVD and have watched it dozens of times and still love it every time. I hope there will be a sequel.

Some day people will come around to appreciate it's genius, that's all I can say.

Its a standard Mike Myers movie!

Author: bigbeataudio from Coffs Harbour
13 August 2011

Im really surprised by the insults thrown at this movie, mainly by those I can only assume have never actually seen a Mike Myers movie before! I mean please, give me a break...lol. Have any of these people actually seen an Austin Powers movie, or Waynes world? They are just a bunch of crude jokes, why did critics go into this movie expecting any different? I went in watching this movie expecting Mike Myers, and I laughed. It was great. Is it an Academy Award winning script...no. Is it the greatest comedy ever made...no, is it the worst movie ever made, as many are saying...not by a long shot, I've seen some crap in my time, and this ain't anywhere near any of them. Its a standard Mike Myers movie, no different to any other he has made in the past. Sit back, have some pop corn and let your brain have a sleep (pretend your watching CNN!), its funny and nothing unexpected from this comedian.

See it for yourself.

Author: k-dhesi from United Kingdom
25 May 2009

Ignore all the sad haters. The film is actually funny. It's very silly, yes but funny. It was no were near brilliant off coarse but it made me laugh from all it's stupid jokes. Mike myers is legendary, he will bring some nice laughs. He played his role very well and made it believable.

It had a big familiar cast. And yes they all did very well even Justin Timberlake. It's not to much to say but The Love Guru is quite hilarious, see it with a open mind and then surely you should laugh. The low score is only because people are expecting another "Austin Powers" and this movie is far from that. But it still very funny.

Not very good... and i really enjoyed it.

Author: roger-a from kitchener, canada
20 October 2008

Movies are rather personal, aren't they? Enjoying this one helps if you are a Leafs fan and of Mike Myers and Deepak Chopra. I am on all three accounts.

I played hockey with nice guy, Mike, while I was in L.A. in 2000. Since then my daughter (who was five in 2000) have gotten hooked on his Austin Powers films.

We both walked out of the theatre after viewing Guru and said, "It wasn't very good and I really liked it." The spiritual ideas are sound but it's his joy of life that comes through. Like that of Deepak Chopra.

Yes, the pooh-pooh jokes are sometimes old, sometimes gross but for those that are used to it, they don't deter.

Compare the joyous nature of Mike's character in this film (which truly is 'his') and that of Cat in the Hat. How can you go wrong with Dr. Suess? But Cat falls flat.

This is not a hit for the masses. Screw that! I hope he continues to make 'his' films, his way.