IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 25: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

this is the perfect example of what writers shouldn't do

Author: gabe-129 from United States
19 January 2009

The only way the movie could have gotten worse is if they got rid of colbert and gave a bigger part to Verne troyer. This is a perfect example of people who need EDITORS. There was definitely not anyone with talent reading this crap before it was being filmed. The whole movie is a rip off of austin powers anyway. Mike Myers really needed to try something new, instead he took all his jokes that were popular from other films he's made (which we've all seen too many times anyway) and put them in this movie along with a lot of idiotic crap. I am a mike myers fan but I think he needs to stop with the spoof, stupid comedy movies and move onto something new.

Myers Worst Film

Author: johnhajjar08 from Lebanon
28 December 2008

This movie is a disgrace to all mike Myers films, it has no meaning whatsoever. I don't get the point of making such a bad film.

Mike Myers has so many films that are magnificent, including, Austin Powers and Waynes world. Those two movies are actually amazing, those movies are what made Mike Myers.

In this movie, he used the same jokes from other movies he made, he use the same accent for the characters.

The storyline is just too plane, and simple, which really doesn't make the story fun, its just boring.

If you want to watch a comedy, don't watch this movie.

abysmal

Author: moshun from United Kingdom
26 August 2008

a film with literally no saving graces, all the same gags as Austin powers but in an age where even those films have dated badly.

i literally cannot believe this got green-lit, it would be mildly funny as a self parody of being intentionally not funny, but its not that clever...it's just straight up "not funny".

the lowest possible calibre of humour , besides maybe something like "epic movie" i am convinced mike myers is mentally regressing into an infant. His next outing will consist entirely of fart jokes and blowing raspberries.

save your money and your time, don't bother with this painfully dull nonsense.

waste of time and money

Author: Craigee777 from United States
17 July 2008

This is the worst movie in years, $10 bucks for 1 1/2 hours of crap. Mike myers is not funny and should be ashamed of this garbage. First of all, how many punch lines can consist of genital humor? the midget has become tired and does not add to the film, and how many times can you make a joke about the name "mariska hargitay" ? I am sitting in the theater giving this crap a chance, and no one is laughing, i am so happy this piece of &#@* was only an hour and 20 minutes, otherwise i might have had to hang myself. In tough economic times we need to see a funny movie and laugh, mike myers sucks, and so does the script. do yourself a favor and never see this awful "actor" again.

A good laugh!!

Author: Samir Gharbaoui from United Kingdom
14 July 2008

I personally found this film so funny! I think this is Myers's best character to date, move over Austin(got bored after 1st)... I laughed throughout the film and had to watch it a second time. I can't for the life of me understand the negative comments made about this movie, probably all die hard Austin fans that can't cope with the change. Firstly this is not to be taken seriously (as all comedies by the way), If you are in a silly mood and can take a joke without trying to be a smart a** "I'm too mature" person then this is one for you. It has it's clever moments of comedy brilliance as well.. Ben Kingsley makes a great appearance as the cross eyed mentor. Justin Timberlake impressed me as the hilarious Celine Dion fanatic Grande. And Myers creates another fantastic character. A great treat from a great comedian of our times. Loved it! Fantastic fun!!! If you are bored and feeling nowhere then watch this film and you will find yourself "now-here"TM lol! Enjoy

Kind and funny - a must see!

Author: caspare from Berlin, Germany
28 October 2008

If you liked Austin Powers, this movie is a "must see". While it comes with some heavy jokes, it also serves witty humor far from being superficial stupidities to the more experienced Guru-lover. One Example:

B est I nstructions B efore L eaving E arth

;) - however, if you are a bone dry person with a taste for "political correct humor only" - this movie is not made for you. Myers, however, did it again: a very original and funny movie I enjoyed nearly as much as Austin Powers 1-3. Even my girlfriend who wanted to leave after 15 min told me she liked it after 90 min.

Surprisingly funny

Author: thebackofmyhouse from Malaysia
10 July 2008

Even before the movie was released, this movie had bad publicity. I myself thought this was going to be a crappy movie. From the trailer, it looks as if Mike Myers is recycling his old jokes for this movie.

So after The Love Guru was released, the critics ripped the movie apart, saying Mike Myers is a "has been" and has lost his comedic touch. They complained that he keeps doing the some jokes over and over again in his movies, and they have a point there.

So after watching it, I was surprised at how funny I found it. Sure he rehashes some of his old jokes, but the rehashes worked well in the movie. These jokes worked better in this movie than in his Austin Powers movies. In his Austin Powers movies, he kinds of over-do it with his jokes, it's like "Yeah, I get the joke already", but he keeps banging the joke on your head until it loses its funniness. It seems that he's learned from his mistakes and the jokes are done very well in this movie. He has learned when to stop.

Plus, compared to his previous movies, this movie is heavier on word-play jokes than physical jokes. And I like it like that.

Stink stank stunk

Author: thombia from United States
2 July 2008

I am at a loss for words on this one. I like most of Mike Myers stuff, always thought he was on the corny side, but this movie is beyond corny, and could be considered one of the worse movies of the year. This movie is aMAIZINGly cornball. If you like that joke then you will like the movie. He appears to have run out of jokes. This movie almost seems like this was in his spare time, what the hell, kind of flick. I truly feel sorry for Myers. He obviously needs a sidekick to help him. I have never heard so many lame one-liners in my life. I am baffled at any one who gives this a positive review. Mariska Hargitay joke was funny for about the first of 71 times. I guess its back to the MTV video awards or the ESPYS (if Justin Timberlake doesn't want that gig anymore) for Myers. Bye now Bye Bye.

ouch!

Author: trunks_cscs from United States
28 June 2008

I didn't think that it was possible to make a movie this bad. I do want to say that there were some funny scenes, but not enough to warrant paying $10.00 to see because I'm sure they are all on you tube. Myers followed a template built off of the Austin Powers trio, but making the same movie with a different "plot", of that's what you want to call it, obviously didn't work. Alba's eyes are as amazing as ever, but that is the only context for the word amazing in relation to this movie. Just wait until the DVD comes out because as the clock ticks, I'd think there are only a few more hours to wait. In fact, just scour the dumpster at the local movie store because I'm sure you'll find two or three unopened copies.

Quite possibly the worse movie in 2008

Author: yobigc99 from Australia
5 August 2008

Now I've seen my fair share of bad movies. Sometimes a bad movie is a "good" movie in that it's a half decent way to whittle away a weekend afternoon when you have nothing better to do. You know a movie that you don't have to think too hard about and that is designed to be watched whilst sinking a few beers and downing a bag of chips.

But then comes along a movie like this with A-list type stars (at least B-movies your expectations are kind of set) that is simply robbing you of 1.5 hours of your weekend afternoon.

Mike Myers and Jessica Alba - shame on you for picking such a pathetically scripted movie with almost no redeeming features. The jokes aren't funny it's just bad, real bad! Even if paid by some schmuck off the street to watch it, I'd suggest handing them the money back Thumbs Down!