IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 25: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

waste of time and money

Author: Craigee777 from United States
17 July 2008

This is the worst movie in years, $10 bucks for 1 1/2 hours of crap. Mike myers is not funny and should be ashamed of this garbage. First of all, how many punch lines can consist of genital humor? the midget has become tired and does not add to the film, and how many times can you make a joke about the name "mariska hargitay" ? I am sitting in the theater giving this crap a chance, and no one is laughing, i am so happy this piece of &#@* was only an hour and 20 minutes, otherwise i might have had to hang myself. In tough economic times we need to see a funny movie and laugh, mike myers sucks, and so does the script. do yourself a favor and never see this awful "actor" again.

Literally The Worst Movie I've Ever Seen.

Author: abepwnsu
12 July 2008

I honestly cannot at all believe that anyone who watches this movie can think its the slightest bit funny. I spent the whole movie begging the others to shut it off. It was terrible. I love Mike Myers films and this was a disgrace. Nothing close to Austin Powers. Except that mini me was in it. I recommend this movie to absolutely no one. Even my 10 yo brother thought the movie was stupid and immature. It literally made me never want to watch a movie again. Whatever you do stay away from this movie at all costs. Jessica Alba is also one of my favorite celebrities. I cant believe she actually agreed to be in a movie like this. I didn't listen to what people said about it and watched it anyway. That's the last time i do that.

Surprisingly funny

Author: thebackofmyhouse from Malaysia
10 July 2008

Even before the movie was released, this movie had bad publicity. I myself thought this was going to be a crappy movie. From the trailer, it looks as if Mike Myers is recycling his old jokes for this movie.

So after The Love Guru was released, the critics ripped the movie apart, saying Mike Myers is a "has been" and has lost his comedic touch. They complained that he keeps doing the some jokes over and over again in his movies, and they have a point there.

So after watching it, I was surprised at how funny I found it. Sure he rehashes some of his old jokes, but the rehashes worked well in the movie. These jokes worked better in this movie than in his Austin Powers movies. In his Austin Powers movies, he kinds of over-do it with his jokes, it's like "Yeah, I get the joke already", but he keeps banging the joke on your head until it loses its funniness. It seems that he's learned from his mistakes and the jokes are done very well in this movie. He has learned when to stop.

Plus, compared to his previous movies, this movie is heavier on word-play jokes than physical jokes. And I like it like that.

I'm just disappointed

Author: jswilli3 from United States
5 July 2008

After I saw 'Don't Mess with the Zohan' I didn't think it could get any worse. Then I saw the Love Guru. It has been a downward spiral for 2 of the funniest guys to come out of SNL. I had to give this movie a chance and I can honestly say that it was one of the worst decisions of my life. The terrible jokes, whether it was sexual or whatever, kept being overused and it just got to the point where it was annoying. I was lucky enough to sit in a movie theater with a bunch of 14 year olds and they could not stop laughing. Probably because they were 14 and very immature. I believe that Mike Myers' career is over. Since the last movies he has been in, Austin powers:goldmember, shrek, and the godawful Love guru, have completely bombed. It's hard to think that Myers has ever been funny. To sum up this movie I would have to say: it sucks, its the worst movie i've seen in a long time and if you haven't seen it yet, DON'T.

Stink stank stunk

Author: thombia from United States
2 July 2008

I am at a loss for words on this one. I like most of Mike Myers stuff, always thought he was on the corny side, but this movie is beyond corny, and could be considered one of the worse movies of the year. This movie is aMAIZINGly cornball. If you like that joke then you will like the movie. He appears to have run out of jokes. This movie almost seems like this was in his spare time, what the hell, kind of flick. I truly feel sorry for Myers. He obviously needs a sidekick to help him. I have never heard so many lame one-liners in my life. I am baffled at any one who gives this a positive review. Mariska Hargitay joke was funny for about the first of 71 times. I guess its back to the MTV video awards or the ESPYS (if Justin Timberlake doesn't want that gig anymore) for Myers. Bye now Bye Bye.

ouch!

Author: trunks_cscs from United States
28 June 2008

I didn't think that it was possible to make a movie this bad. I do want to say that there were some funny scenes, but not enough to warrant paying $10.00 to see because I'm sure they are all on you tube. Myers followed a template built off of the Austin Powers trio, but making the same movie with a different "plot", of that's what you want to call it, obviously didn't work. Alba's eyes are as amazing as ever, but that is the only context for the word amazing in relation to this movie. Just wait until the DVD comes out because as the clock ticks, I'd think there are only a few more hours to wait. In fact, just scour the dumpster at the local movie store because I'm sure you'll find two or three unopened copies.

Author: toshilovesyou from United States
14 July 2008

Words cannot describe how close I was to walking out of the theater during the movie. However, I only stayed out of the hope that there would be a moment that was actually funny. It utterly failed to be another stupidly hilarious Mike myers comedy like Austin Powers or Wayne's World. There was absolutely no plot. It was really like the writers said, "Hey, let's go get a hot girl, a bad pop star, a midget and all the bad sex jokes we can find and make a movie about nothing!" This was truly disappointing.It was LOOOOOOOOOOONG too! By the end, it was getting painful to watch. I was appalled when I heard the couple behind me talking about how hilarious it was. (Pity their lack of taste). I would not suggest this movie to anyone! Good Lord, could it have gotten any worse??

How lousy can a movie get?

Author: kxok630
11 July 2008

It's obvious when a comic knows they're bombing: they resort to the crutch of using dirty jokes or ethnic jokes for cheap, easy laughs. Love Guru is evidence that Mike Myers is dreadfully insecure about the future of his career.

Austin Powers (oh wait, that's the character being rehashed but not what they call him in this flop), learns Eastern Religion and a bad accent. His journey of enlightenment is apparently to insult people (usually with that familiar word that starts with "f"). He chases women, gives advice on how to offend women and therefore get one, etc. There are no laughs, no memorable moments, no reasons to watch this whatsoever. In addition to Myers self-destructing, Jessica Alba continues her challenge to set a record for consecutive lousy performances in worthless movies. Her current run of these career-ending disasters is a number roughly equal to the number of miles that light travels in a year.

This rubbish isn't even good enough for "straight to video" release. The producers, had they had a moment of self-preservation and/or sanity, should have decided not to release it at all.

Ugh.

Author: storyteller51811 from United States
1 July 2008

This movie. Not funny. None of the jokes were funny. Nothing in the movie was funny. I forced laughs a couple times, but i thought it was just silly.. and my friend next to me didn't laugh at all but recommends it now. It's just dirty jokes in a movie and it isn't worth 10 cents.. I didn't really see any redeeming points, but I suppose some would laugh at some of it, if you had a fairly sick mind. But, then, those people could just watch a sick movie online, rather than actually wasting gas and cash to go see a movie like this in theaters. But i suppose that many people do enjoy this kind of thing, maybe. It was sort of sad, seeing as Austin Powers was funny. I don't understand why Mike Meyers and Jessica Alba allowed themselves to be in it. But, on the plus side, one thing in the movie was funny- him saying mariska hargitay to mariska hargitay.

Mr. Myers, Please retire because your career is dire.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
30 June 2008

An open letter to Mr. Michael Myers.

Dear Mr. Myers.

I am writing to inform you that it's the sign of the times and I think you should read and understand what it clearly means in regards to your....career. The years have come and go but unfortunately they have not been kind to cinema and society in general. The reason I'm writing this letter is because I feel that deep in my heart you should SERIOUSLY consider throwing in the towel and find something else worthwhile pursuing; maybe philanthropy perhaps? If you do that not only will people respect you more but it will also help wash away all memories of those years enduring your crap after crap after crap movies. Although I can't see how this can possibly happen overnight if fate and the universe persists, it will be a sigh of relief if it was all the more true.

Memories. Oh how profoundly fond those memories are and I recall watching "Wayne's World" when I was teeny-weeny with a more less jaded view of the world and then came "Austin Powers". Ahhh, the laughs those provided to help me drift away from the drudgery of life. Then a funny thing happened and the end result was a horrific turn as a pudgy, sex-innuendo laden feline several years ago. In my mind there's no denying that you should have realized that your career tanked at that point for someone once funny to even remotely consider such a perilous career move. The days of "Austin Powers" are gone, buddy. GROW UP AND BE A MAN!!!

Having read the news a while back of your latest endeavor, I hoped that you'll rebound after such a dog-pile-of-you-know-what of said movie. But alas, my hopes were shattered once again and as I left the theater after witnessing such a travesty of talentless vain proportions, the fragility of my mental state almost reached the breaking point when a good Samaritan saved me from what was, to be precise, an almost life-threatening ordeal. I thanked the good Samaritan of course as any sane individual would do and went our separate ways. But I will never, EVER, thank you for releasing such soul-shattering ineptness garbage that nearly killed me dared to be released for unsuspecting, innocent eyes!!!

So in conclusion, after clearing my head of the madness that I suffered, cleansed my spirit as well as my soul, I am now able to return to the outside world once again with the notion that no human being should ever go through such a horrific experience. Although I know that time doesn't heal all wounds but it is known that the human spirit is a remarkable thing that not even the likes of you and the evils of Hollywood inhabiting the blue and green world cannot comprehend. That special someone, that one individual who saved me from the madness you spewed fourth are moments like these that remind me of the good in the world. And for that, I'm grateful.