IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Honestly, I'd rather sleep on a bed of nails

Author: Jackpollins from United States
11 August 2009

How, with such a good cast, can The Love Guru be so painfully unfunny. How can a cast of Ben Kingsley, Stephen Colbert, Jessica Alba, Mike Myers, Verne Troyer, Justin Timberlake, Jim Gaffigan, and many more very talented people be in such a deadly, poisonous piece of junk like The Love Guru? There's nothing funny about this movie. Nothing here is less than completely painful. It's like someone stabbing you in the back and then finishing you off by punching you in the groin. That's how much fun it is. It's quite possibly more painful than that. This movie deserves to be buried in the middle of nowhere. If there was a negative score on IMDb, I would rate it the lowest possible negative score. I'm not even going to go into the plot because I'm too mad reviewing this in the first place. Not a single funny moment in this whole movie, ever minute painful. Mike Meyers has become the anti-Christ of film makers. Never see this movie, even if yours or someone else's live(s) depends on it. Just, in a nutshell, definitely skip this one, you'll thank me later, since you got to skip the pain that is The Love Guru.

Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! This movie is Huge...

Author: welldoneat3 from United States
4 October 2008

This movie is Huge and crazy funny... we all love it so many tears of laughing so hard... Mike i suggest you to meet MICHAEL YOUN, for a next crazy funny step! remember ! Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! Laughter is the best treatment against the sadness... Don't Worry, about what those boring gray matter wrote, Be Happy enjoy the movie... (Again for the guidelines) Mike Myers is Great, all actors are great... This movie is Huge and crazy funny... we all love it so many tears of laughing so hard... Mike i suggest you to meet MICHAEL YOUN, for a next crazy funny step! remember ! Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! Laughter is the best treatment against the sadness... Don't Worry, about what those boring gray matter wrote, Be Happy enjoy the movie... Cheers! TD

People take life too seriously.

Author: paulyknowles from United Kingdom
2 February 2011

I can't believe some of the reviews of this movie. Seriously, most of you should stop watching comedies and stick to drama/thrillers or "romcoms".

This film is pure slapstick and no holds-barred stupidity and for me and my girlfriend was one of the funniest films we've seen for a long time. As stated in another review, maybe this is an English thing but for me the humour in this was classic and Ben Kingsley was outstanding.

Sure Mike Myers hugs the screen but why not? His character is extremely funny and the film is focused on his adventure. Another one to watch out for here is Justin Timberlake who completely changed my opinion of him with his role here and his obvious ability to laugh at himself. I was surprised to see him play this character and respect due he plays it brilliantly.

This is a must see for people who don't take themselves too seriously and like to just sit back and laugh at stupid for stupid's sake.

Hilarious

Author: pattywac333 from United States
21 June 2008

It was none stop fun i couldn't stop laughing, The story line is pointless, but enjoyable i was not disappointed in the movie at all when it was over i could not stop quoting the movie and talking about it.

but keep in mind i am an immature teen so some things that were funny to me were not funny to others (more mature less funny people)

If you like bathroom humor and Jessica alba you are in for a real treat. It has some of the same humor as Austin powers but some seemed a little wittier.

Defiantly go see it if you are a teenage guy or an adult that still hasn't grown up yet!

Probably The Worst Comedy Of All Time,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
24 June 2013

The Love Guru is a dreadful movie with a bunch of painfully unfunny jokes,and I'm pretty sure I didn't laugh once while watching this movie.U really like Mike Myers,I love Wayne's World,Austin Powers and Shrek and he's the only reason why I watched this movie,but he was the worst part of this movie.His character Guru Pitka was extremely annoying and possibly the most unlikeable character I've ever seen in any movie,and the scene where we see Young Pitka (a young boy with Mike Myers forty year old face edited on) is just disturbing.The entire movie is a big insult to comedy and I would recommend it to absolutely nobody.

The Guru Pitka (Mike Myers) heads back to America in order to help a hockey player with his love life in order to do well in the final game.

The Slap-stick Swami

Author: Theodore Keating from NJ, United States
9 November 2013

I found this movie to be crude, but interesting. Mike Myers didn't exactly reach the same level of cultural achievement as George Harrison here, but still there was some interesting work on cultural stereotypes.

Basically it's a story of a white swami (Mike Myers) who helps a black hockey player (The 40-Year-Old-Virgin's Romany Malco) get his baby back. So in a way it's one of those white-guy-hangs-out-with-black-guy flicks, with the added layer that both of them have, I guess you could say, racially unstereotypical roles.

Actually the theme of breaking social barriers is something of a theme of the film. (And obviously this is also done by the rather cheap jokes, but I suppose you could look at that as the attempt to sell the unpopular.) Justin Timberlake plays the French Canadian hockey player who steals the black guy's wife, creating a sideplot of an interracial relationship. The love guru himself is a white American inheritor of thousands of years of Indian tradition. Possibly even more different, is that a black gentleman becomes a student of these Indian teachings.

To do this, he must confront his past, in the form of his mother, who is a very strident woman active in the black church (with his non-black non-Christian friend in tow). And then, to process this encounter, the pair repair back to a bar (where the hockey player, oddly enough, is the only non-white). More examples of this sort of playing with stereotypes could be multiplied, since it's essentially what the movie's about. In fact, I might guess at if it's relative lack of popularity might have something to do with the sense that it's not always very positive in its portrayal of the average hockey fan....

Of course, the film's budget made the inclusion of a Beatles song out of the question, but it is interesting that they named the wife Prudence, which for me, at least, brings to mind the song "Dear Prudence", which John Lennon wrote while the band was visiting an ashram in India.

But of course all that doesn't make the film a *good* picture. The constant reaching for cheap laughs marks it as a film meant simply for laughing, perhaps, rather than a really insightful picture of daily life, which many comedies are. But it also doesn't deserve the sort of heartless vitriol which some comedies so easily attract to themselves from the perhaps pompous sort. It deserves to be seen as a movie with *some* merit.

(7/10)

noughties classic

Author: willydrama from Belgium
18 December 2010

I highly enjoyed watching this film, I'd recommend it to anyone. I don't understand all the other reviews, while Frat Pack/Apatow productions only made me snicker in the past, I'd rate this as pure comedy gold in its genre (and I'm a fan of art-house cinema and British sitcoms). Be aware, you know what you are going to get: below the belt humour from beginning to end - if you're annoyed by Myers pulling faces, a weak plot or a cliché happy ending then don't download or review this. Justin Timberlake's performance was, surprisingly, above average; plus all the Canadian references are a breath of fresh air. I can't think of a single negative comment about this film.

Well it's not a really funny movie, but it made me laugh.

Author: heart_of_a-champion from KSA
25 October 2009

I know that this movie is not the best of Mike Myers could even be one of his worse, but it still made me laugh I mean people must start learning to sit back relax and enjoy the movie. In this movie you could find good things and bad things, bad things like terrible screenplay and bad portrayal of Hindus.. but good things like mild humor.. I give this movie a 5 but I gave an 8 to rise it up a little from all these bad comments LOL, anyway as I said just sit back don't be shallow and enjoy a movie, oh and you better put in mind that this is a comedy movie not a drama so don't expect a lot of emotions and best of acting. The most thing I liked about this movie is the cast Justin Timberlake added a flavor to the movie, sexy Meagan Good and Jessica Alba, Vern Troyer being a coach with the additional Jessica Simpson, Oprah Winfrey, Kanye West and Rob Blake.

Have a nice day ;)

This is the movie for relaxation

Author: drpavlovic1411 from Serbia
6 March 2011

I haven't seen a movie which will make a better parody about all kind of 'gurus' and about the self-help books, like Dipak Chopra's. The humor is a standard Mike Myer's, like 'Bangkok' joke, the name of the trainer, but the most hilarious thing are his books and how he make jokes of 'gurus' and their 'help'. Jessica Alba is so pretty, everything is in its place as it should be. A movie must be continually interesting, to keep your attention all the time, not to have some slow parts, and this movie hasn't any. If you ask me, I recommend this movie, it is full of jokes, all the time, and I really don't know how somebody can say that it is nothing but a bad movie of Myer's. It is just like the other movies of his. Maybe even better. Personally, I've seen it at least 10 times, it is so 'bad'.

An unknown guru is sent to help a hockey player get his marriage back together so that his team can win the Stanley Cup.

Author: thor_676 from Toronto, Canada
20 September 2008

Personally I quite enjoyed this movie. Most people are saying that it isn't funny at all but I beg to differ. I am a Toronto Maple Leafs fan who is realistic about their chances to get to the playoffs, let alone the final for the cup. I also have the warped, Canadian sense of humour that Mike Myers seems to have. I don't think that most people will enjoy or (in some cases even get) the movie but I did. I think if you have that similar, weird way of viewing comedy (and being somewhat knowledgeable about the Maple Leafs and Quebecers wouldn't hurt either e.g. 40 year curse, past owners, Saint Hubert's chicken )you will at least be able to watch the film once rather then wanting to leave or bang your head against a wall as I have heard in the past that other people have wanted to do.