IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Well it's not a really funny movie, but it made me laugh.

Author: heart_of_a-champion from KSA
25 October 2009

I know that this movie is not the best of Mike Myers could even be one of his worse, but it still made me laugh I mean people must start learning to sit back relax and enjoy the movie. In this movie you could find good things and bad things, bad things like terrible screenplay and bad portrayal of Hindus.. but good things like mild humor.. I give this movie a 5 but I gave an 8 to rise it up a little from all these bad comments LOL, anyway as I said just sit back don't be shallow and enjoy a movie, oh and you better put in mind that this is a comedy movie not a drama so don't expect a lot of emotions and best of acting. The most thing I liked about this movie is the cast Justin Timberlake added a flavor to the movie, sexy Meagan Good and Jessica Alba, Vern Troyer being a coach with the additional Jessica Simpson, Oprah Winfrey, Kanye West and Rob Blake.

Have a nice day ;)

A decent 90 minute diversion

Author: C G from United States
22 September 2008

Before seeing this movie I'd read a few scathing reviews. So, I went into this movie expecting the worst. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The film is fair, with several hysterical laugh out loud moments.

I do believe that there are too many emotional threads which may have lead to the generation of so many poor reviews. There are times where the movie struggles to have heart, but fails. Other instances the movie wants to have high action, which is decent. And further times where the film goes straight to potty humor, which is raunchy and pretty good. Some of the characters could have been given more depth. For example, Jessica Alba's character is fairly weak, as is Myer's side kick/assistant. Although entertaining, Myers' character is not very engaging or admirable. The main character's self realization is undercut by the lack of high quality writing coupled with the lack of character depth.

There are some pluses however. Justin Timberlake's character is great. Way over the top! There is some good physical comedy, and the elephant scene is hysterical. The interaction of Stephen Colbert and Jim Gaffigan is excellent (reminded me of the sports commentators from Bedazzled-2000.) I like the fact that they used real NHL teams and such, Rob Blake appeared for his team, and that action looked fairly authentic. I was also surprised that Deepak Chopra himself appeared in the film.

It would seem that the script was one draft shy of finding success. However, having to satisfy the studio, NHL, and Deepak Chopra may have led to the weakness of the script. If you come to this movie with low expectations you will probably enjoy it. However, if you are coming to this movie expecting the next great film from Myers, you will no doubt be sorely disappointed. Take it for what it is worth, a 90 minute diversion from real life, brain candy, and all in fun.

I did not mind it

Author: dobbin-4 from Australia
13 July 2008

Honestly I have seen worse. Going into to this movie I was expecting to be having a head line like "Sorry Mike, you stuffed up" or "Bad Movie make me sad, sad" but I was definitely happy with the result the film has come up with.

The film did have some bad jokes and some stupid jokes that would not be acceptable even in a sketch show but their were quite a lot of good jokes in this movie, and if you are able to look over the bad, you will definitely like this film.

Personally, I am very surprised that this movie got only 33%. It was funny and well acted by most and I am glad to say that Jessica Simpson was only in it for 10 seconds or so and the part of the midget (I think that's the correct term) was also moderately small even though his character probably bought down the rating (Mostly Mike's Reaction annoyed me the most).\

Overall, it is a good film to see, it is funny MOST of the time and if you can get over the bad, you will be able to get the good and you will like this movie. Also, if you are going to rate my comment was not useful, don't just do it because you disagree with my opinion, I do not want to be insulted that my comment was not useful because some people disagree, you can do it if you ACTUALLY have a problem with my comment itself. I rate it 58%.

This is the movie for relaxation

Author: drpavlovic1411 from Serbia
6 March 2011

I haven't seen a movie which will make a better parody about all kind of 'gurus' and about the self-help books, like Dipak Chopra's. The humor is a standard Mike Myer's, like 'Bangkok' joke, the name of the trainer, but the most hilarious thing are his books and how he make jokes of 'gurus' and their 'help'. Jessica Alba is so pretty, everything is in its place as it should be. A movie must be continually interesting, to keep your attention all the time, not to have some slow parts, and this movie hasn't any. If you ask me, I recommend this movie, it is full of jokes, all the time, and I really don't know how somebody can say that it is nothing but a bad movie of Myer's. It is just like the other movies of his. Maybe even better. Personally, I've seen it at least 10 times, it is so 'bad'.

Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! This movie is Huge...

Author: welldoneat3 from United States
4 October 2008

This movie is Huge and crazy funny... we all love it so many tears of laughing so hard... Mike i suggest you to meet MICHAEL YOUN, for a next crazy funny step! remember ! Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! Laughter is the best treatment against the sadness... Don't Worry, about what those boring gray matter wrote, Be Happy enjoy the movie... (Again for the guidelines) Mike Myers is Great, all actors are great... This movie is Huge and crazy funny... we all love it so many tears of laughing so hard... Mike i suggest you to meet MICHAEL YOUN, for a next crazy funny step! remember ! Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! Laughter is the best treatment against the sadness... Don't Worry, about what those boring gray matter wrote, Be Happy enjoy the movie... Cheers! TD

funniest Mike Myers movie yet

Author: garygroups from United States
3 October 2008

I think the problem is not that the movie is "juvenile" or "self indulgent", but rather that so many of the reviewers here are! If you don't like comedy, then why the hell are you writing a review on a Mike Myers film? The point of "The Love Guru" is to make you laugh, not to win Academy Awards. If your goal in watching it is to laugh, then unless you have no sense of humo(u)r, you can't go wrong with the Love Guru. I was laughing so much I had to pause the DVD a few times -- it is absolutely hilarious, I found it much more consistently funny than any of the austin powers movies that all the amateur movie reviewers here probably fell over themselves trying to get to their iphones to type glowing reviews for. Furthermore, I'd say it's LESS self-indulgent and LESS potty humor oriented than austin powers (which isn't to say there isn't plenty of both -- there is - if you don't love scatological humor then why the hell would you watch Mike Myers??). The real problem is perhaps that it takes on "spiritual" subjects with hilarious results, which will perhaps hit people a bit too close to home...

There are so many hilarious references to sports, to the "self improvement" world, to Indian culture, there is a lot to like here. I think the movie is a bit ahead of it's time, it will perhaps be better liked in 5 years than now. But don't be dissuaded by bad reviews from people that don't really enjoy comedy or possess an actual sense of humor -- check it out for yourself! But leave your ego at the door, and enjoy it for what it is.

An unknown guru is sent to help a hockey player get his marriage back together so that his team can win the Stanley Cup.

Author: thor_676 from Toronto, Canada
20 September 2008

Personally I quite enjoyed this movie. Most people are saying that it isn't funny at all but I beg to differ. I am a Toronto Maple Leafs fan who is realistic about their chances to get to the playoffs, let alone the final for the cup. I also have the warped, Canadian sense of humour that Mike Myers seems to have. I don't think that most people will enjoy or (in some cases even get) the movie but I did. I think if you have that similar, weird way of viewing comedy (and being somewhat knowledgeable about the Maple Leafs and Quebecers wouldn't hurt either e.g. 40 year curse, past owners, Saint Hubert's chicken )you will at least be able to watch the film once rather then wanting to leave or bang your head against a wall as I have heard in the past that other people have wanted to do.

get over it

Author: chrisdseymour from uk
6 August 2008

Yes it's a bit over indulgent (as Myers is a character comedian)and Myers has ensured his view on how the movie is made is engaged via an inexperienced director but in essence this is a comedy from the heart of Myers using the same formula as the powers franchise and even moments from Waynes World. His heart is in the right place with this one and when you enjoy it for it's watchability then you're not disappointed. It's only when you try and inject an air of believability in to it that you start to wander into the critic realms and forget that you are watching this for fun, myers has never professed to making believable movies and so this is one that should just be enjoyed for the basic easy going humour that we all enjoy as kids, as that is where I think He is heading with this one, please regress to your childhood and enjoy the giggle humour, Shakespeare it ain't!!!

Gross and immature humor :D loved it!

Author: from Australia
24 April 2011

I found the movie hilarious... After watching 2 depressing movies I threw this one on and it was a hilarious pick me up!!

As it's each to their own I think that people who like crude toilet humor will like this film!!

I'm not a massive Austin powers fan but I knew that this movie would be stupid as soon as I saw it had mike myers and I am glad I was right!! I bet if you read the reviews of everyone bagging it out they would have titled other movies as "worst ever" too :P

The story line is not that bad, the comedy is creative, the characters are well played, the cast is great and the songs make you want to pull out old CD's!!

Watch this if you need a laugh and like stupid immature humor :):):) this movie is not for pompous people with no humor, serious people who can't take a joke or people with issues regarding penis jokes :D

People take life too seriously.

Author: paulyknowles from United Kingdom
2 February 2011

I can't believe some of the reviews of this movie. Seriously, most of you should stop watching comedies and stick to drama/thrillers or "romcoms".

This film is pure slapstick and no holds-barred stupidity and for me and my girlfriend was one of the funniest films we've seen for a long time. As stated in another review, maybe this is an English thing but for me the humour in this was classic and Ben Kingsley was outstanding.

Sure Mike Myers hugs the screen but why not? His character is extremely funny and the film is focused on his adventure. Another one to watch out for here is Justin Timberlake who completely changed my opinion of him with his role here and his obvious ability to laugh at himself. I was surprised to see him play this character and respect due he plays it brilliantly.

This is a must see for people who don't take themselves too seriously and like to just sit back and laugh at stupid for stupid's sake.