IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Very funny movie!

Author: gilhamit from Israel
8 October 2008

Well, I really don't get what these other people are talking about. I saw this film just now and laughed my hat of! It's a VERY funny movie! My guess is that those people never really liked any of the other Mike Myers movies. This is a Mike Myers comedy! Make no mistake about that! A very good Mike Myers comedy!

If you like Mike Myers, you really should watch this film. It's one of his funniest ever. Let all these other guys watch The English Patient or whatever it is they're watching. I'll stay with what I like.

I must add that Justin Timberlake is funny as hell! He was great! Vern is also great, as always! I just wish Myers would play more characters, like he did on Austin Powers.

There are better ways to torture yourself...

Author: saxpiano from United States
24 June 2008

I have seen some pretty bad movies, but I just cannot believe the amount of lousiness found in this movie. I just went to see it, and there was NO plot, there was no point, and there was definitely no humor. There were a few jokes that were about as funny as a stapler, but nothing near as funny as other movies that even were worth my time. I am lucky that I saw this freak show on a readmission ticket, so I didn't give the whack jobs in charge a penny. So, in summary, if you want to go spend nine dollars to be able to sit in an empty theatre, then this is the flick for you. Please, don't waste your money (and time). The other 3 people that will be in the theater watching it with you will thank you for the open seats.

Needs a second view to appreciate the talent

Author: Mauritz Kloppers from South Africa
17 August 2008

Most people will underrate this movie at first glance, but at a second viewing, you will start noticing small details revealing the actors' talent.

The comedy in this movie might be dull to most viewers, but please keep in mind the target audience. Take time out to watch it a second time, and you'll see... Mike Myers perfected the role he was casted into. The funny little flinches and shrugs can only be done by him, and he does it perfectly. Another point I want to focus on is the music. The music was absolutely brilliant. Whoever transformed the song "9to5" for the intro was a genius. Not to mention Mike Myers' musical talent. He really added great value to all the musical performances.

Although the storyline and comedy wasn't brilliant, the acting and light-heartedness of this movie boosts the score to at least 6/10 in my books.

This One's gonna win a lot of Razzies!

Author: (Prince09) from India
5 July 2008

This movie presently has a rating of 3.2 / 10. And I still feel its over-rated!!! That's how awful this movie is!! ...I was on my to the theater to see another movie but my friend who wanted to see this managed to force-feed this poison to me. Bah! Such a waste of money and time!!! ..

Not that I expected a great plot or anything (as a matter of fact, I dint expect any), but the "comedy" in this movie is so bad that I had to constantly repress my urge to throw something at the screen. There were concerns raised abt this movie offending Hinduism - Well it does make an attempt to parody Hinduism, but the attempt really is too lame and moronic to take it seriously at all. I think Hindus need to be least worried about this; there are more important things to worry about in life than fretting over this.

OK, with the Hinduism angle aside, What you actually get from this movie is a collection of various size-related jokes coming your way along with some truly horrible performances by the ensemble. If anything is offending in this movie, it is actually this. Come Razzie-time, I predict that this movie is going to nominated in multiple categories: Mike Myers for each of his roles; Ben Kingsley and Justin Timberlake will compete for supporting roles (My vote to Kingsley!!) and needless to say - the writing, directing and the picture! If you can, stay as many miles away from this one as you can!!

mike Meyers 1963 - 2008

Author: booberry_rules from YOUR MOM'S HOUSE
22 June 2008

Mike Meyers is dead. He's had 3 good movies his entire life and this is not one of them. The Love Guru may just be the worst movie since Meet The Spartans. Mike plays a guru that talks in a funny accent just like every other character that he plays. Except this time, it's not funny. Verne Troyer? I thought he died when he was touring with Kid Rock. He's not funny either. Stupid midgets. We get it, you're short!!! Jessica Alba may be the worst female actress in history. Anyone seen Fantastic Four? Yeah, she's even worse in this. Justin Timberlake? Your music sucks, your movie sucks, and most of all, YOU suck. You definitely did NOT bring sexy back by starring in this "film".

I give The Love Guru a 0 out of 10.

Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! This movie is Huge...

Author: welldoneat3 from United States
4 October 2008

This movie is Huge and crazy funny... we all love it so many tears of laughing so hard... Mike i suggest you to meet MICHAEL YOUN, for a next crazy funny step! remember ! Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! Laughter is the best treatment against the sadness... Don't Worry, about what those boring gray matter wrote, Be Happy enjoy the movie... (Again for the guidelines) Mike Myers is Great, all actors are great... This movie is Huge and crazy funny... we all love it so many tears of laughing so hard... Mike i suggest you to meet MICHAEL YOUN, for a next crazy funny step! remember ! Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! Laughter is the best treatment against the sadness... Don't Worry, about what those boring gray matter wrote, Be Happy enjoy the movie... Cheers! TD

Truly Awful.

Author: derekdiercksmeier from United States
18 November 2012

"The Love Guru" Is A Terrible Movie That Makes You Wonder If Mike Myers Has Any Actual Talent. In The Film, Myers Stars As The Titular "Love Guru", An Aspiring Spiritual Guide. The Character Is Irritating, Idiotic, And Racially Insensitive. The Rest Of The Cast Is Far Too Talented For This Atrocity. Justin Timberlake, Jessica Alba, Ben Kingsley, Stephen Colbert, And Mariska Hargitay In A Painful Cameo. There Would Be Absolutely No Joy In Viewing "The Love Guru" If It Weren't For The Brilliant Stephen Colbert. The Colbert Nation Will Love His Scenes As A Recovering Alcoholic And Sports Commentator. Colbert's Is The One And Only Thing That Keeps "The Love Guru" From Earning A "0". Mariska Hargitay Is A Great Actress That Is Totally Wasted Here. Her Name Is Used A Greeting In The World Of The Film And That Tiny Little Gimmick Is Stretched Far Beyond It's Welcome. The Scenes With Verne Troyer Are Offensive And Not Funny In Any Way. I Have No Idea Why Mike Myers Is So Obsessed With Making Jokes At The Expense Of Dwarfs. It Is Incredibly Mean-Spirited And Absolutely NOT Funny. Jessica Alba Is Totally Taken Advantage Of And Is Forced To Deliver Some Of The Dumbest And Most Misogynistic Lines In Recent Memory. Alba Has Proved Herself To Be A Talented Actress With Her Excellent Collaborations With Robert Rodriguez, But Nearly Every Other Film Gives Her Material That Is Totally Beneath Her. Justin Timberlake Is Brilliant On "Saturday Night Live", But His Performance Is Just As Painful As The Others. Romany Malco, The Hilarious Actor From "Weeds" And "The 40-Year Old Virgin", Is Also Wasted Here. I Couldn't Help But Wonder How The Producers Could Attain Such A Wonderful Cast With Such Dreadful Material. Daniel Tosh, Another Great Comic With A Cameo In The Film, Joked On "tosh.0": "I'm In It And Even I Haven't Seen It". "The Love Guru Is Absolutely Atrocious. It's One Of The Worst Movies Of The Decade And Certainly One Of The Most Offensive Films To Come Out Of Hollywood In Recent Years.

People take life too seriously.

Author: paulyknowles from United Kingdom
2 February 2011

I can't believe some of the reviews of this movie. Seriously, most of you should stop watching comedies and stick to drama/thrillers or "romcoms".

This film is pure slapstick and no holds-barred stupidity and for me and my girlfriend was one of the funniest films we've seen for a long time. As stated in another review, maybe this is an English thing but for me the humour in this was classic and Ben Kingsley was outstanding.

Sure Mike Myers hugs the screen but why not? His character is extremely funny and the film is focused on his adventure. Another one to watch out for here is Justin Timberlake who completely changed my opinion of him with his role here and his obvious ability to laugh at himself. I was surprised to see him play this character and respect due he plays it brilliantly.

This is a must see for people who don't take themselves too seriously and like to just sit back and laugh at stupid for stupid's sake.

I think people who didn't like this movie are on downer drugs!!!

Author: alliance109 from Canada
17 July 2010

How could someone not love this movie?! i watched it 4 times to see why people might not like it and honestly i don't get it. and i was in stitches every time. This movie is absolutely hilarious (special thanks to Justin Timberlake). I don't know what people expected but there wasn't a dull moment in this movie. It opens with hilarity and everyone involved did a great job. The concept was already done with Eddie Murphy and even though he is my idol he didn't do a great job like Myers did. It's feel good and 100% Mike Myers. Don't listen to the grumps who didn't like this movie. Watch it with an open mind and enjoy the show!! it's great!!!

Honestly, I'd rather sleep on a bed of nails

Author: Jackpollins from United States
11 August 2009

How, with such a good cast, can The Love Guru be so painfully unfunny. How can a cast of Ben Kingsley, Stephen Colbert, Jessica Alba, Mike Myers, Verne Troyer, Justin Timberlake, Jim Gaffigan, and many more very talented people be in such a deadly, poisonous piece of junk like The Love Guru? There's nothing funny about this movie. Nothing here is less than completely painful. It's like someone stabbing you in the back and then finishing you off by punching you in the groin. That's how much fun it is. It's quite possibly more painful than that. This movie deserves to be buried in the middle of nowhere. If there was a negative score on IMDb, I would rate it the lowest possible negative score. I'm not even going to go into the plot because I'm too mad reviewing this in the first place. Not a single funny moment in this whole movie, ever minute painful. Mike Meyers has become the anti-Christ of film makers. Never see this movie, even if yours or someone else's live(s) depends on it. Just, in a nutshell, definitely skip this one, you'll thank me later, since you got to skip the pain that is The Love Guru.