IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

This film is absolute garbage.

Author: Phil B from Ireland
1 November 2008

I pity the people who wasted their money going to the cinema for this film. It represented one of the worst comedies i have ever watched. Actually one of the worst comedy i have ever tried to watch.

From the offset it had incredibly ridiculous attempts to make you laugh. It focused wholly on what people have found funny in the past, like farting, belching, small people. These are the three things that kept cropping up again and again and again. They kept forcing these jokes on the viewers with a pause afterwards to give people the chance to muster up a chuckle.

Really i think they should give the viewers a bit more respect. And i also think cinemas should start saying NO to allowing such garbage being shown the large screen. They might be directed by big names but it proves here that known names don't necessarily make good films.

I laughed through out.

Author: jsn_reece from United States
14 October 2008

My cheeks started hurting by laughing to much.I don't know why so many people hated this film.I saw this movie on one of my vacations from work,and when it cane out,my brother took his girlfriend and asked me If I wanted to go. At first I didn't want to go,because I didn't know what it was at first.But he is a lot different than seeing mike myers in Wayne's world.So it is just for someone who wants a few good laughs................. ............ ... ........ .............. .......... .......... ........... ................ ............ .............. ........................ .................... ............. ... .... ...... ..... ..... .... ........ ..... ...... ........ ...... ..... ...... .....

Why So many Bad reviews?

Author: Thomas Atchley from United States
10 October 2008

i'm really surprised that so many people hated this movie, especially saying that cat in the hat was better... wtf? i would rather punch myself in the face than see that movie. this movie actually funny, funnier than goldmember and the spy who shagged me, which severely disappoint4ed me. i would first let everyone know, who is reading this, to not believe everything you read about this movie, go buy it, or if you do not have sufficient funds, go rent it or borrow it, and then decide for your own self whether or not you like it. make your own mind up about it, not somebody else's. i give it an 8/10 because i actually watched it and thought it was funny, i didn't leave in the first 15 minutes like all the other retards who reviewed it without finishin the movie

Very funny movie!

Author: gilhamit from Israel
8 October 2008

Well, I really don't get what these other people are talking about. I saw this film just now and laughed my hat of! It's a VERY funny movie! My guess is that those people never really liked any of the other Mike Myers movies. This is a Mike Myers comedy! Make no mistake about that! A very good Mike Myers comedy!

If you like Mike Myers, you really should watch this film. It's one of his funniest ever. Let all these other guys watch The English Patient or whatever it is they're watching. I'll stay with what I like.

I must add that Justin Timberlake is funny as hell! He was great! Vern is also great, as always! I just wish Myers would play more characters, like he did on Austin Powers.

There are better ways to torture yourself...

Author: saxpiano from United States
24 June 2008

I have seen some pretty bad movies, but I just cannot believe the amount of lousiness found in this movie. I just went to see it, and there was NO plot, there was no point, and there was definitely no humor. There were a few jokes that were about as funny as a stapler, but nothing near as funny as other movies that even were worth my time. I am lucky that I saw this freak show on a readmission ticket, so I didn't give the whack jobs in charge a penny. So, in summary, if you want to go spend nine dollars to be able to sit in an empty theatre, then this is the flick for you. Please, don't waste your money (and time). The other 3 people that will be in the theater watching it with you will thank you for the open seats.

Needs a second view to appreciate the talent

Author: Mauritz Kloppers from South Africa
17 August 2008

Most people will underrate this movie at first glance, but at a second viewing, you will start noticing small details revealing the actors' talent.

The comedy in this movie might be dull to most viewers, but please keep in mind the target audience. Take time out to watch it a second time, and you'll see... Mike Myers perfected the role he was casted into. The funny little flinches and shrugs can only be done by him, and he does it perfectly. Another point I want to focus on is the music. The music was absolutely brilliant. Whoever transformed the song "9to5" for the intro was a genius. Not to mention Mike Myers' musical talent. He really added great value to all the musical performances.

Although the storyline and comedy wasn't brilliant, the acting and light-heartedness of this movie boosts the score to at least 6/10 in my books.

This One's gonna win a lot of Razzies!

Author: (Prince09) from India
5 July 2008

This movie presently has a rating of 3.2 / 10. And I still feel its over-rated!!! That's how awful this movie is!! ...I was on my to the theater to see another movie but my friend who wanted to see this managed to force-feed this poison to me. Bah! Such a waste of money and time!!! ..

Not that I expected a great plot or anything (as a matter of fact, I dint expect any), but the "comedy" in this movie is so bad that I had to constantly repress my urge to throw something at the screen. There were concerns raised abt this movie offending Hinduism - Well it does make an attempt to parody Hinduism, but the attempt really is too lame and moronic to take it seriously at all. I think Hindus need to be least worried about this; there are more important things to worry about in life than fretting over this.

OK, with the Hinduism angle aside, What you actually get from this movie is a collection of various size-related jokes coming your way along with some truly horrible performances by the ensemble. If anything is offending in this movie, it is actually this. Come Razzie-time, I predict that this movie is going to nominated in multiple categories: Mike Myers for each of his roles; Ben Kingsley and Justin Timberlake will compete for supporting roles (My vote to Kingsley!!) and needless to say - the writing, directing and the picture! If you can, stay as many miles away from this one as you can!!

mike Meyers 1963 - 2008

Author: booberry_rules from YOUR MOM'S HOUSE
22 June 2008

Mike Meyers is dead. He's had 3 good movies his entire life and this is not one of them. The Love Guru may just be the worst movie since Meet The Spartans. Mike plays a guru that talks in a funny accent just like every other character that he plays. Except this time, it's not funny. Verne Troyer? I thought he died when he was touring with Kid Rock. He's not funny either. Stupid midgets. We get it, you're short!!! Jessica Alba may be the worst female actress in history. Anyone seen Fantastic Four? Yeah, she's even worse in this. Justin Timberlake? Your music sucks, your movie sucks, and most of all, YOU suck. You definitely did NOT bring sexy back by starring in this "film".

I give The Love Guru a 0 out of 10.

Cinematic suicide

Author: jwvongoethe1800 from Netherlands
30 May 2015

In my quest to see the worst of the worst that Hollywood has to offer, I stumble upon this film. According to my younger brother, it was the worst film he has ever seen. I finally had the chance to see it and all I saw was: Horror, pain, misery and silence (I will explain that one later).

First my opinion about Mike Myers himself. He was a great actor and his rolls in Wayne's World, Austin Powers and the first two Shrek films are great. But than his popularity falls down in the around 2003, with film rolls like The cat in the hat. The Love Guru is seen as the exact point when Myers career committed Japanese ritual suicide.

I can say from the bottom of my heart that this is the worst comedy I have ever seen in my life. Say what you will about the Adam Sandler movies or the Friedberg and Seltzer movies (epic movie, disaster movie), at least they have some level of thought into it (not that it make these films good). This film is just an torture device.

First the story. It is about guru Pitca (Mike Myers), who is helping an ice-hockey player (Romany Malco) to face his fears, so he can win the ice-hockey game so Pitca can be at Oprah's talk show to become the world's greatest guru. The plot is bland, uninspired, very predictable and just stupid. The only things I can remember from this movie is the stupid and predictable love-triangle, and two elephants having sex on an ice-hockey field. I just became less intelligent after saying that last bit.

The characters are all bad. Myer's character was the worst one. He tries so hard to make the viewer's laugh, but fails miserably. The rest of the cast I can't remember a single thing except for the ridicules names. Like Justin Timberlake's character named Jacques "Le Coq" Grande, guess why he is called that way. Than you have Dick Pants played by John Oliver.

The worst thing that can happen to a comedy is that the jokes make nobody laugh. Remember the silence I mentioned at the beginning of this review? That's what my brother remembers of watching this film at his school, because nobody makes a laugh, not even at the really bad stuff in this film. The comedy in this film can be summed up like this: Guru Pitca's ridicules face, bad sex jokes (like the one with the elephants), and about a million dick jokes, none of them are close to be funny.

There is no hope for Mike Myers. He will never make a good film ever again. To all of you, stay away from this thing.

I Didn't Love This Movie, Not One Single Bit.

Author: Edward Goldenberg from United States
29 December 2014

Pitka an American raised outside of his country by gurus, returns to the States in order to break into the self-help business. His first challenge: To settle the romantic troubles and subsequent professional skid of a star hockey player whose wife left him for a rival athlete.

Mike Myers can be funny at times, but there are also time when he can be just plain unbearable and painful, and this movie is a prime example of that. The Love Guru has no love to be found anywhere during the course of its 87 minutes of length, all it contains are a lot of juvenile and unfunny sex and penis jokes. Among them include: "If your Uncle Jack helped you off an elephant, would you help your uncle jack off an elephant?" How are we supposed to find that funny? How could Mike Myers stoop so low with something like this? Basically, he is the only one who looks like he's enjoying himself, and I bet that he was probably the only one who was laughing at his jokes. Everyone else did kind of laugh, but at the same time, they looked like they didn't want to be there. As most people know, anyone who enjoys a decent amount of comedy probably knows that laughing at your own jokes is a terrible habit that will end up ruining the impact of the joke itself, and Mike Myers did it numerous times throughout the movie, and all of those jokes weren't funny.

Like I said, although Mike Myers certainly looked like he was having a good time laughing at his dick jokes, almost everyone else didn't look like they were enjoying themselves. Justin Timberlake, Jessica Alba, they all didn't look like they wanted to be here. And I can't even begin to think of what Ben Kingsley did in order for the studio to blackmail him into appearing in this movie. Kingsley is a very talented individual, but here, he was absolutely wasted. But the lowlight of the movie is Mike Myers. Every time that he laughed or mugged for the camera (which was quite often), I cringed. There were numerous jokes throughout the movie, but none of them were funny. Mike Myers has nobody to blame for this mess of a movie but himself. I did actually try to like the movie, but no matter how hard I tried, I ended up squirming uncomfortably instead of laughing like I should have.

All in all, The Love Guru is a horrible movie that you might bring up when you begin to talk about the worst movies that you have ever seen. If I had been a film critic in the year 2008, I would have ranked this film as the worst movie of 2008. This movie couldn't have been much worse, if I could go into negative ratings, I would definitely do it, as it flat out sucks. How Mike Myers could have gone from making funny movies to something like this is beyond me. As Roger Ebert stated, he made a classic funny scene with a not-quite-visible penis sketch in the first Austin Powers film, but in this movie, Myers must have decided that since the aforementioned joke worked, he decided to make a movie with all of the penis jokes that he could come up with. And what was the end result? We didn't end up with a funny movie, all we ended up with was a mess.

BOMB/10