IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Underrated and misunderstood

Author: r-u-serious from Australia
8 December 2014

It has been a while since I watched this movie, but I am about to re-rotate it back into my Must-Watch-More-Than-Once personal movie list. That's not to say that this movie must be watched more than once in order to understand its 'hidden message', but that it is one that comes in under the radar.

This movie only recently popped back into my head and like I said, it's been a while, so I am essentially working off the essence that it left behind, hidden somewhere between my heart and my gut. However, it is through this essence that I realized that I loved this movie the first time that I saw it, even if I didn't understand why at the time.

This movie isn't making fun of people who are 'spiritual', 'religious' or even 'those who seek enlightenment through self-improvement movements'. What it does seem to be doing is gently mocking (whilst wearing a grin) our natural tendencies to attach ourselves to labels, images and ideas that we think will help to define us. This includes our quest to 'find' happiness.

What this movie is saying is that if you want to be happy then just be that. Be happy. It really is that simple and Mike Myer's character reflects this in everything he does on screen, not least of which is he himself being humbled.

Yes, even 'gurus' can make mistakes. Yet this flawed, immature, goof-ball of a man is the living embodiment of happiness throughout the movie.

Hmmmmm. You see? Now he has you thinking...

The Slap-stick Swami

Author: Theodore Keating from NJ, United States
9 November 2013

I found this movie to be crude, but interesting. Mike Myers didn't exactly reach the same level of cultural achievement as George Harrison here, but still there was some interesting work on cultural stereotypes.

Basically it's a story of a white swami (Mike Myers) who helps a black hockey player (The 40-Year-Old-Virgin's Romany Malco) get his baby back. So in a way it's one of those white-guy-hangs-out-with-black-guy flicks, with the added layer that both of them have, I guess you could say, racially unstereotypical roles.

Actually the theme of breaking social barriers is something of a theme of the film. (And obviously this is also done by the rather cheap jokes, but I suppose you could look at that as the attempt to sell the unpopular.) Justin Timberlake plays the French Canadian hockey player who steals the black guy's wife, creating a sideplot of an interracial relationship. The love guru himself is a white American inheritor of thousands of years of Indian tradition. Possibly even more different, is that a black gentleman becomes a student of these Indian teachings.

To do this, he must confront his past, in the form of his mother, who is a very strident woman active in the black church (with his non-black non-Christian friend in tow). And then, to process this encounter, the pair repair back to a bar (where the hockey player, oddly enough, is the only non-white). More examples of this sort of playing with stereotypes could be multiplied, since it's essentially what the movie's about. In fact, I might guess at if it's relative lack of popularity might have something to do with the sense that it's not always very positive in its portrayal of the average hockey fan....

Of course, the film's budget made the inclusion of a Beatles song out of the question, but it is interesting that they named the wife Prudence, which for me, at least, brings to mind the song "Dear Prudence", which John Lennon wrote while the band was visiting an ashram in India.

But of course all that doesn't make the film a *good* picture. The constant reaching for cheap laughs marks it as a film meant simply for laughing, perhaps, rather than a really insightful picture of daily life, which many comedies are. But it also doesn't deserve the sort of heartless vitriol which some comedies so easily attract to themselves from the perhaps pompous sort. It deserves to be seen as a movie with *some* merit.

(7/10)

noughties classic

Author: willydrama from Belgium
18 December 2010

I highly enjoyed watching this film, I'd recommend it to anyone. I don't understand all the other reviews, while Frat Pack/Apatow productions only made me snicker in the past, I'd rate this as pure comedy gold in its genre (and I'm a fan of art-house cinema and British sitcoms). Be aware, you know what you are going to get: below the belt humour from beginning to end - if you're annoyed by Myers pulling faces, a weak plot or a cliché happy ending then don't download or review this. Justin Timberlake's performance was, surprisingly, above average; plus all the Canadian references are a breath of fresh air. I can't think of a single negative comment about this film.

Well it's not a really funny movie, but it made me laugh.

Author: heart_of_a-champion from KSA
25 October 2009

I know that this movie is not the best of Mike Myers could even be one of his worse, but it still made me laugh I mean people must start learning to sit back relax and enjoy the movie. In this movie you could find good things and bad things, bad things like terrible screenplay and bad portrayal of Hindus.. but good things like mild humor.. I give this movie a 5 but I gave an 8 to rise it up a little from all these bad comments LOL, anyway as I said just sit back don't be shallow and enjoy a movie, oh and you better put in mind that this is a comedy movie not a drama so don't expect a lot of emotions and best of acting. The most thing I liked about this movie is the cast Justin Timberlake added a flavor to the movie, sexy Meagan Good and Jessica Alba, Vern Troyer being a coach with the additional Jessica Simpson, Oprah Winfrey, Kanye West and Rob Blake.

Have a nice day ;)

This is the movie for relaxation

Author: drpavlovic1411 from Serbia
6 March 2011

I haven't seen a movie which will make a better parody about all kind of 'gurus' and about the self-help books, like Dipak Chopra's. The humor is a standard Mike Myer's, like 'Bangkok' joke, the name of the trainer, but the most hilarious thing are his books and how he make jokes of 'gurus' and their 'help'. Jessica Alba is so pretty, everything is in its place as it should be. A movie must be continually interesting, to keep your attention all the time, not to have some slow parts, and this movie hasn't any. If you ask me, I recommend this movie, it is full of jokes, all the time, and I really don't know how somebody can say that it is nothing but a bad movie of Myer's. It is just like the other movies of his. Maybe even better. Personally, I've seen it at least 10 times, it is so 'bad'.

An unknown guru is sent to help a hockey player get his marriage back together so that his team can win the Stanley Cup.

Author: thor_676 from Toronto, Canada
20 September 2008

Personally I quite enjoyed this movie. Most people are saying that it isn't funny at all but I beg to differ. I am a Toronto Maple Leafs fan who is realistic about their chances to get to the playoffs, let alone the final for the cup. I also have the warped, Canadian sense of humour that Mike Myers seems to have. I don't think that most people will enjoy or (in some cases even get) the movie but I did. I think if you have that similar, weird way of viewing comedy (and being somewhat knowledgeable about the Maple Leafs and Quebecers wouldn't hurt either e.g. 40 year curse, past owners, Saint Hubert's chicken )you will at least be able to watch the film once rather then wanting to leave or bang your head against a wall as I have heard in the past that other people have wanted to do.

Gross and immature humor :D loved it!

Author: from Australia
24 April 2011

I found the movie hilarious... After watching 2 depressing movies I threw this one on and it was a hilarious pick me up!!

As it's each to their own I think that people who like crude toilet humor will like this film!!

I'm not a massive Austin powers fan but I knew that this movie would be stupid as soon as I saw it had mike myers and I am glad I was right!! I bet if you read the reviews of everyone bagging it out they would have titled other movies as "worst ever" too :P

The story line is not that bad, the comedy is creative, the characters are well played, the cast is great and the songs make you want to pull out old CD's!!

Watch this if you need a laugh and like stupid immature humor :):):) this movie is not for pompous people with no humor, serious people who can't take a joke or people with issues regarding penis jokes :D

The Love Guru for a while wasn't listed under Mike Myers on IMDb

Author: headly66 from New Jersey
7 January 2011

I wonder why if you go to the Mike Myers title page on IMDb and look at the films he has acted in this little gem was mysteriously missing in action for a year. That said, this has to be one of the worst comedies ever made, it simply does not work on any level, all the jokes fall flat, the acting if you can call it that is atrocious and the script seemingly written by Mike when he was 8 years old. Everything that was good about the Austin Powers movies has the opposite effect here. The character is simply not interesting, likable or funny in any way, the plot makes no sense and you can see the jokes coming a mile away. A sad downturn in a good comedy career. Plus that we have all heard Myers was very hard to work with on this and it shows, no one had the balls to tell him it stunk.

*May contain spoilers*Where is the love?

Author: webtecht from Canada
2 January 2009

For the life of me I don't understand how reviewers have given Zohan and Get Smart better overall average star ratings than this movie. Of the three this flick has the most laughs. Of course the topic of this movie : new-age pseudo middle eastern self help spirituality is a big pill to swallow. I believe that this movie suffered bad reviews for several reasons that actually had nothing to do with whether it was well done or not.

In explanation of this I will offer several thoughts. 1)The main character is a white guy with obvious ethnic / cultural trappings.This I believe made it harder for audiences to relate to. We need to have lead characters clearly defined in their nationality and other aspects of their character. Guru Pitka admittedly was a bit ambiguous.Was he supposed to be East Indian? This ethnic group not nearly as "cool"as being black or Hispanic,was not warmly embraced by north American audiences to be sure. As one friend asked me , "Is he supposed to be East Indian?" Ah no he is not.So for the majority of the public the character went right over their heads. This I believed is the source of the controversy that was stirred up when it was released. Is this a parody of East Indian culture? No it is not. On to my next point. 2)This movie due to its subject matter,a parody of pseudo psychology/mysticism that was so the rage in the early 90s. Unfortunately those who were into this pop phenomenon took it all to seriously.This is the problem , those who would "get" most of the jokes would not go to see this movie. With their politically correct spiritually righteous mentality,this movie might come across as an affront to their belief systems.

I was into some of the new age stuff in the day but never took it so serious as to let it erode my sense of humor. But in some ways unless you were into this scene a lot of the humor comes across as an bunch of "inside jokes" only some might get. You couldn't swing a dead cat in say 1995 without hitting some up and coming self help guru hawking their latest book. This is where the humor truly lies in this movie. The Love Guru stands up not only as a great parody of time past but also as a social satire with its roots in the last decade.

Of course it is a very typical Mike Myers as it has its fair share of goofy slapstick gags and crude humor. Their are some fantastic one liners that actually noticed only on subsequent viewings. I found Myers played the character with warmth and genuine love for the material. This often put over a lot of the more lame jokes as there certainly are more than a few. But hey isn't that what a Mike myers movie is supposed to be ? Jokes so inanely silly that that is what makes them roar out loud funny.Come on now Austin Powers,Shrek and Waynes World were the same style. Yet amazingly enough so many reviewers state that is what ruined this movie.Personally I love a comedy that uses the a joke so bad its funny approach,truly this being for me the charm of Mike Myers past efforts.

I am not sure what people expected. I personally wish it would have done better in the box office as I would love to see sequels. Hey maybe Guru Pitka can "co-star" with Austin Powers(you know help him get his mojo back)as the character is one of the finest Myers has created.I believe the character should get more mileage. But I think the nuances of Guru Pitka went over the average movie goers heads. This is sad as it doesn't reflect on the quality of the movie but more so on how far the average movie goers sense of humor has slipped.

I am thinking that had this movie been released ten years ago in 1998 it would have been a huge hit and critically praised. This movie's only crime being it is a bit behind the times topically speaking. I truly believe in the future this movie will be lauded as a unrecognized classic. Hey Deepak loved the movie and thought it was very entertaining.As for the majority of bad reviewers who stated this movie was nothing more than a string of penis jokes,I have to wonder if they even watched the same movie.Yes, granted there is the fair share of crude humor ,what comedy doesn't go that route these days. Like Jackass is high concept.

Justinb Timberlake as a french Canadian hockey player in love with Celine Dion was bust a gut hilarious. I think he should give up singing and concentrate on being a comedic actor,he was that good. Myers pulls out every type of joke from "potty humor" to the Vaudvillian style "take my wife please" variety. All in all this movie is near perfect goofy comedy and absolutely does not deserve the almost universal beat down it has received. I have bought this movie and probably seen it now 10 times and will probably enjoy 10 more.

Austin Powers IV

Author: Luna-tic from United States
14 November 2008

Seriously folks, I really don't understand the hate for this movie. I rented it this past weekend. After watching it I felt I was watching an Austin Powers film with a different set of characters. The humor and style of the movie were very similar. Honestly for the life of me I wonder how Austin Powers could get great reviews then this one not get the same reviews. Maybe people don't like the middle eastern character with a goofy bready look....I can not believe peoples sense of humors changed so much. One thing for sure many of the reviews for this movie happened either before or shortly after this movie came out. Makes me wonder if people actually watched it.

My recommendation is that everyone who has seen and liked the Austin Powers movies to give this movie a chance. If you never even liked Austin Powers then skip this one. But don't come here and reject this movie off of the reviews on this site. This movie was a lot better than Zohan.