IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Absolute Trash!

Author: nyc5577 from United States
10 July 2008

What a tragedy that Hollywood thinks that jokes about bodily functions, excrement and sexual dysfunction are the only kind that get any laughs these days. "The Love Guru" is by far one of the worst pieces of trash I've ever seen and certainly one of the worst movies ever to come out of Hollywood. I would not be surprised if this bomb sinks Mike Myer's career, any more movies like this certainly will. On top of the dreary, monotonous toilet humor, the C list celebrities, the stupid plot and the hammy, bad acting there is really nothing worthwhile in this stinker at all, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Knowing that there are people in America that will enjoy the toilet humor and mind-numbing story only confirms that the United States is being dumbed down and it's no surprise that Will Ferrell's movies are successful in middle America!

Very funny

Author: alexeveringham from United States
21 June 2008

This film is not meant to be taken seriously for it's plot. It's a Mike Myers film, you go to his films to see a lot of funny puns, quirky jokes, and humorous and sometimes unreal circumstances. Do not enter this movie expecting:

-A fantastic movie, cinema quality wise -Mike Myers Best work -Mike Myers Worst work -or even his most mediocre work, it's not his worst, but not his best.

Go expecting:

-A fun time -Frequent good laughs -Mike Myers style comedy.

So yeah, go and enjoy.

Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! This movie is Huge...

Author: welldoneat3 from United States
4 October 2008

This movie is Huge and crazy funny... we all love it so many tears of laughing so hard... Mike i suggest you to meet MICHAEL YOUN, for a next crazy funny step! remember ! Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! Laughter is the best treatment against the sadness... Don't Worry, about what those boring gray matter wrote, Be Happy enjoy the movie... (Again for the guidelines) Mike Myers is Great, all actors are great... This movie is Huge and crazy funny... we all love it so many tears of laughing so hard... Mike i suggest you to meet MICHAEL YOUN, for a next crazy funny step! remember ! Without humor, the brain is gray matter..! Laughter is the best treatment against the sadness... Don't Worry, about what those boring gray matter wrote, Be Happy enjoy the movie... Cheers! TD

People take life too seriously.

Author: paulyknowles from United Kingdom
2 February 2011

I can't believe some of the reviews of this movie. Seriously, most of you should stop watching comedies and stick to drama/thrillers or "romcoms".

This film is pure slapstick and no holds-barred stupidity and for me and my girlfriend was one of the funniest films we've seen for a long time. As stated in another review, maybe this is an English thing but for me the humour in this was classic and Ben Kingsley was outstanding.

Sure Mike Myers hugs the screen but why not? His character is extremely funny and the film is focused on his adventure. Another one to watch out for here is Justin Timberlake who completely changed my opinion of him with his role here and his obvious ability to laugh at himself. I was surprised to see him play this character and respect due he plays it brilliantly.

This is a must see for people who don't take themselves too seriously and like to just sit back and laugh at stupid for stupid's sake.

I think people who didn't like this movie are on downer drugs!!!

Author: alliance109 from Canada
17 July 2010

How could someone not love this movie?! i watched it 4 times to see why people might not like it and honestly i don't get it. and i was in stitches every time. This movie is absolutely hilarious (special thanks to Justin Timberlake). I don't know what people expected but there wasn't a dull moment in this movie. It opens with hilarity and everyone involved did a great job. The concept was already done with Eddie Murphy and even though he is my idol he didn't do a great job like Myers did. It's feel good and 100% Mike Myers. Don't listen to the grumps who didn't like this movie. Watch it with an open mind and enjoy the show!! it's great!!!

The worst comedy; maybe the worst movie

Author: John Holden from United States
9 November 2009

It's not unbelievable that Myers would be crass, gross, disgusting, childish, immature, ridiculous, not-funny, et al. He was training to make this in Goldmember. Love Guru is best described as the movie a wealthy producer's 12-year-old spoiled child would write, produce and direct.

What's unbelievable is that Alba, Kingsley and Timberlake would be in it. Kingsley is too bad for words; Alba is nothing; Timberlake is the only even-remotely funny thing.

Years ago Myers yelped a lot about how much money Adam Sandler made relative to his own paltry $10-12 million/ movie. Seeing this one knows why: if Myers had any talent at all (and Dieter & Austin Powers don't prove that), it's gone.

Don't even bother to get this free from the library. Don't borrow it from a friend. Sitting through it will cost you many brain cells.

On top of it, there's a glimpse of what could have been a brilliant parody of Indian musicals - with Alba dancing and singing in Indian dress. There's also probably a hockey movie around Timberlake's character.

Never ever ever again will I watch or listen to Myers in anything made after 1999 - the 1st Austin Powers.

It's basically Austin Powers 4 with normal characters.

Author: SubZeroMK from Canada
5 June 2009

How did Mike Myers get a career in Hollywood, period? none of his films are funny. Not even Wayne's World. Sure, I used to laugh like an idiot as his Austin Powers films when I was little, but keep in mind, I was a kid, I would be amused by anything, even if it's stupid today. I had somewhat of a hope for it because of Romany Malco who did pretty well in 40-year old virgin, I liked his character and it's a shame he signed on to this crap-fest of a film. Hell, SuperHero Movie is funnier than this crap.

I also watched it for Jessica Alba because who's to argue that she's the hottest woman in the world. She was the only thing that kept me watching this movie. If she wasn't in it, I'd stop the movie after 5 minutes and return it to the video store for my money back. Luckily, I rented it.

Seriously, this is just another Austin Powers sequel with real normal characters in it. It's the same type of humor that Austin Powers had. Also, Ben Kingsley, a great actor signed on to this film, he just lost his credibility for that. I'm not surprised with Jessica starring in this movie, she'll do any kind of movie, cuz she's clearly in it for the money, but let's face it, you go to Hollywood to make money, because I love money too, I could care less about an academy award performance. I can't sell the trophy, it's not worth anything.

Anyway, 1/10 for being even more stupid than the Austin Powers series. At least those movies had Seth Green and the tent shadow scene. I wish I could rate it a -100/10. Don't buy this, and don't waste money on renting it either. This is clearly for the tweens and 8 year olds. I'm surprised this movie got a pg-13, might as well make it a G for everyone and add Disney to the title. Clearly a tween movie. That is all.

If anyone needs help, it's Myers...

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
9 March 2009

This is offensively lazy material for any comedian worth his salt to be sitting on for six years (the last time he introduced characters he'd written himself: Goldmember.) Continuously repeating jokes about people's names is not funny, and it's being incredibly gracious to allow that it EVER was. What saddens me most is the reek of missed opportunity – lampooning new-age spirituality has seemingly endless comic potential, and yet nothing but the absolute bare bones are mined here. There's little attempt to work the gags into any sort of structure; they're just tossed away, and most of them can be heard to drop with a resounding thud.

The same ramshackle approach applies to the main character, too; there appears to be little consistency or definable personality about Pitka, the one constant being that he dresses weird and has a beard… (That rhyme is so lame I confess a slight sense of surprise that Myers didn't add that into the mix, too… )

On this evidence, maybe Myers is doing the right thing by hawking himself out for other people's scripts with his forthcoming efforts. It appears any ingenuity or inspiration he once possessed was sapped away long ago…

Bad, Truly Bad

Author: from United States
6 September 2010

This film is as bad as the other reviews make it. Mike Myers is merely indulging himself as he tries to make another Austin Powers franchise. Don't worry - not happening!

Constant mugging, lame plot, lack of jokes, repetition upon repetition (unfunny pun names, "Mariska Hargitay", pulling out books, etc.)

The real problem may be the casting:

Myers - Painful without the right support and doesn't get it. Alba - Beautiful - and 1-D acting. Cast as hockey team owner??? Troyer - Midget hockey coach??? A black hockey star - Riiiiight. Ben Kingsley - Embarrassing.

Was Mike Myers on meth when he made this?

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
29 July 2009

The Love Guru is the worst film ever.I went and saw it with my Uncle Jim last Summer and hated it. If I had the choice of zero stars that would be the rating for The Love Guru. If you find crotch jokes every five seconds and elephant sex, then you'll like The Love Guru.Mike Myers is a comedic genius, from So I married an ax murderer to Austin Powers, he was great at a time. He hadn't done a comedy since Austin Powers in Goldmember. Which I did find humorous. And after that he was in The Cat in the Hat, torture for children. I won't go on.Many famous people are in this film also. The smokin' hot Jessica Alba, the manager of the Toronto Maple leafs?Ben Kingly is even in it. What the hell is Ben Kingsly doing in this crap? Ben Kingsley is an Oscar winner for God's sake.Every time i'm in a place like Movie Gallery or Blockbuster,I see The Love Guru on a shelf. Every time I see it I think Who would ever spend ten bucks on this junk and I squirm.I wouldn't even pay a cent for this film. The best part of it is during the credits when you can come home and forget it ever happened.If you're expecting a good Mike Myers comedy, get ready for a humongus disappointment.