IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Very funny

Author: alexeveringham from United States
21 June 2008

This film is not meant to be taken seriously for it's plot. It's a Mike Myers film, you go to his films to see a lot of funny puns, quirky jokes, and humorous and sometimes unreal circumstances. Do not enter this movie expecting:

-A fantastic movie, cinema quality wise -Mike Myers Best work -Mike Myers Worst work -or even his most mediocre work, it's not his worst, but not his best.

Go expecting:

-A fun time -Frequent good laughs -Mike Myers style comedy.

So yeah, go and enjoy.

The Love Guru for a while wasn't listed under Mike Myers on IMDb

Author: headly66 from New Jersey
7 January 2011

I wonder why if you go to the Mike Myers title page on IMDb and look at the films he has acted in this little gem was mysteriously missing in action for a year. That said, this has to be one of the worst comedies ever made, it simply does not work on any level, all the jokes fall flat, the acting if you can call it that is atrocious and the script seemingly written by Mike when he was 8 years old. Everything that was good about the Austin Powers movies has the opposite effect here. The character is simply not interesting, likable or funny in any way, the plot makes no sense and you can see the jokes coming a mile away. A sad downturn in a good comedy career. Plus that we have all heard Myers was very hard to work with on this and it shows, no one had the balls to tell him it stunk.

The worst comedy; maybe the worst movie

Author: John Holden from United States
9 November 2009

It's not unbelievable that Myers would be crass, gross, disgusting, childish, immature, ridiculous, not-funny, et al. He was training to make this in Goldmember. Love Guru is best described as the movie a wealthy producer's 12-year-old spoiled child would write, produce and direct.

What's unbelievable is that Alba, Kingsley and Timberlake would be in it. Kingsley is too bad for words; Alba is nothing; Timberlake is the only even-remotely funny thing.

Years ago Myers yelped a lot about how much money Adam Sandler made relative to his own paltry $10-12 million/ movie. Seeing this one knows why: if Myers had any talent at all (and Dieter & Austin Powers don't prove that), it's gone.

Don't even bother to get this free from the library. Don't borrow it from a friend. Sitting through it will cost you many brain cells.

On top of it, there's a glimpse of what could have been a brilliant parody of Indian musicals - with Alba dancing and singing in Indian dress. There's also probably a hockey movie around Timberlake's character.

Never ever ever again will I watch or listen to Myers in anything made after 1999 - the 1st Austin Powers.

It's basically Austin Powers 4 with normal characters.

Author: SubZeroMK from Canada
5 June 2009

How did Mike Myers get a career in Hollywood, period? none of his films are funny. Not even Wayne's World. Sure, I used to laugh like an idiot as his Austin Powers films when I was little, but keep in mind, I was a kid, I would be amused by anything, even if it's stupid today. I had somewhat of a hope for it because of Romany Malco who did pretty well in 40-year old virgin, I liked his character and it's a shame he signed on to this crap-fest of a film. Hell, SuperHero Movie is funnier than this crap.

I also watched it for Jessica Alba because who's to argue that she's the hottest woman in the world. She was the only thing that kept me watching this movie. If she wasn't in it, I'd stop the movie after 5 minutes and return it to the video store for my money back. Luckily, I rented it.

Seriously, this is just another Austin Powers sequel with real normal characters in it. It's the same type of humor that Austin Powers had. Also, Ben Kingsley, a great actor signed on to this film, he just lost his credibility for that. I'm not surprised with Jessica starring in this movie, she'll do any kind of movie, cuz she's clearly in it for the money, but let's face it, you go to Hollywood to make money, because I love money too, I could care less about an academy award performance. I can't sell the trophy, it's not worth anything.

Anyway, 1/10 for being even more stupid than the Austin Powers series. At least those movies had Seth Green and the tent shadow scene. I wish I could rate it a -100/10. Don't buy this, and don't waste money on renting it either. This is clearly for the tweens and 8 year olds. I'm surprised this movie got a pg-13, might as well make it a G for everyone and add Disney to the title. Clearly a tween movie. That is all.

If anyone needs help, it's Myers...

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
9 March 2009

This is offensively lazy material for any comedian worth his salt to be sitting on for six years (the last time he introduced characters he'd written himself: Goldmember.) Continuously repeating jokes about people's names is not funny, and it's being incredibly gracious to allow that it EVER was. What saddens me most is the reek of missed opportunity – lampooning new-age spirituality has seemingly endless comic potential, and yet nothing but the absolute bare bones are mined here. There's little attempt to work the gags into any sort of structure; they're just tossed away, and most of them can be heard to drop with a resounding thud.

The same ramshackle approach applies to the main character, too; there appears to be little consistency or definable personality about Pitka, the one constant being that he dresses weird and has a beard… (That rhyme is so lame I confess a slight sense of surprise that Myers didn't add that into the mix, too… )

On this evidence, maybe Myers is doing the right thing by hawking himself out for other people's scripts with his forthcoming efforts. It appears any ingenuity or inspiration he once possessed was sapped away long ago…

Bad, Truly Bad

Author: from United States
6 September 2010

This film is as bad as the other reviews make it. Mike Myers is merely indulging himself as he tries to make another Austin Powers franchise. Don't worry - not happening!

Constant mugging, lame plot, lack of jokes, repetition upon repetition (unfunny pun names, "Mariska Hargitay", pulling out books, etc.)

The real problem may be the casting:

Myers - Painful without the right support and doesn't get it. Alba - Beautiful - and 1-D acting. Cast as hockey team owner??? Troyer - Midget hockey coach??? A black hockey star - Riiiiight. Ben Kingsley - Embarrassing.

Was Mike Myers on meth when he made this?

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
29 July 2009

The Love Guru is the worst film ever.I went and saw it with my Uncle Jim last Summer and hated it. If I had the choice of zero stars that would be the rating for The Love Guru. If you find crotch jokes every five seconds and elephant sex, then you'll like The Love Guru.Mike Myers is a comedic genius, from So I married an ax murderer to Austin Powers, he was great at a time. He hadn't done a comedy since Austin Powers in Goldmember. Which I did find humorous. And after that he was in The Cat in the Hat, torture for children. I won't go on.Many famous people are in this film also. The smokin' hot Jessica Alba, the manager of the Toronto Maple leafs?Ben Kingly is even in it. What the hell is Ben Kingsly doing in this crap? Ben Kingsley is an Oscar winner for God's sake.Every time i'm in a place like Movie Gallery or Blockbuster,I see The Love Guru on a shelf. Every time I see it I think Who would ever spend ten bucks on this junk and I squirm.I wouldn't even pay a cent for this film. The best part of it is during the credits when you can come home and forget it ever happened.If you're expecting a good Mike Myers comedy, get ready for a humongus disappointment.

This film is absolute garbage.

Author: Phil B from Ireland
1 November 2008

I pity the people who wasted their money going to the cinema for this film. It represented one of the worst comedies i have ever watched. Actually one of the worst comedy i have ever tried to watch.

From the offset it had incredibly ridiculous attempts to make you laugh. It focused wholly on what people have found funny in the past, like farting, belching, small people. These are the three things that kept cropping up again and again and again. They kept forcing these jokes on the viewers with a pause afterwards to give people the chance to muster up a chuckle.

Really i think they should give the viewers a bit more respect. And i also think cinemas should start saying NO to allowing such garbage being shown the large screen. They might be directed by big names but it proves here that known names don't necessarily make good films.

I laughed through out.

Author: jsn_reece from United States
14 October 2008

My cheeks started hurting by laughing to much.I don't know why so many people hated this film.I saw this movie on one of my vacations from work,and when it cane out,my brother took his girlfriend and asked me If I wanted to go. At first I didn't want to go,because I didn't know what it was at first.But he is a lot different than seeing mike myers in Wayne's world.So it is just for someone who wants a few good laughs................. ............ ... ........ .............. .......... .......... ........... ................ ............ .............. ........................ .................... ............. ... .... ...... ..... ..... .... ........ ..... ...... ........ ...... ..... ...... .....

Why So many Bad reviews?

Author: Thomas Atchley from United States
10 October 2008

i'm really surprised that so many people hated this movie, especially saying that cat in the hat was better... wtf? i would rather punch myself in the face than see that movie. this movie actually funny, funnier than goldmember and the spy who shagged me, which severely disappoint4ed me. i would first let everyone know, who is reading this, to not believe everything you read about this movie, go buy it, or if you do not have sufficient funds, go rent it or borrow it, and then decide for your own self whether or not you like it. make your own mind up about it, not somebody else's. i give it an 8/10 because i actually watched it and thought it was funny, i didn't leave in the first 15 minutes like all the other retards who reviewed it without finishin the movie