IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 26: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Simple. Smart. No B-ricks or S-tove.

Author: dankoretsky from Israel
14 September 2008

The movie was genius. I laughed like mad all movie. I am sorry but he didn't lose it from Austin Powers. He moved beyond all that. I really don't know how this movie got such a low mark. Shows that the ratings here cannot be easily trusted. This is a first for me to write a comment about a movie. I just wanted to make sure at least one real comment exists about the movie. He passes through quite a few simple ideas that most grown ups have forgotten a fairly long while ago - in an original way. He intended his character to be overly self-absorbed. For the exact reasons of the message - most of you people are like that! Just get it already. People like Mike do this their whole life hoping to reach a small proportion of you - the ones writing the comment are not in that portion sadly.

I thought this movie was very funny

Author: adamceltic426 from Perth, Australia
20 April 2009

I like to think of myself as a person who has an intelligent sense of what comedy is and dosn't laugh at stupid clichés and juvenile jokes

but I like to laugh and this movie mad me laugh a lot

coupled with some very good performances from people like Stephen Colbert and john oliver i loved this movie

i also thought the plot line was quite good not the thickest but interesting

I can see why some people may not like it but I thought it was funnier than Austin Powers and quite a lot of other silly comedies

I have to say if you have a good sense of humour you will like this movie

Oh, yes. It was very funny

Author: daygecko from United States
19 November 2009

I was surprised many people didn't love the Love Guru but then I realized they probably were not very familiar with the self-help community, self-help seminars, the Eastern Religious movement in America, or ever sat with a real guru. My familiarity with all of the above make everything so hilarious in the Love Guru that I have put this film in my top 20 films of all time.

Mike Myer's giggling guru was dead on! And his jogging hand waving again was so much like happy seminar self-help people that I nearly peed my pants. Guru Pitka's seminar was so funny. Mariska Hargity was genius. You know why these self-help millionaire people smile just like Mike Myers? Because they are making an easy living 9 to 5 telling us why we are miserable.

I brought my DVD to a Buddhist friend's house to see the movie and they thought it was delightfully funny. They were not offended in the least bit. I asked them if they knew Deepak Chopra and they pulled two of his books from the coffee table. I nearly choked with laughter.

Okay, so you don't get the movie. Go read some self-help book, go to a couple of seminars, take yoga and definitely go listen to a few guru. You will get it.

One of the main characters is named 'Jacques 'Le Coq' Grande'---I think this says all you need to know about this lovely and incredibly subtle film...

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
23 June 2010

Didn't someone during the entire production process stop to realize that it just wasn't funny?! I mean, it's pretty obvious from all the many, many lame jokes that fall flat that there is something seriously wrong with this film. Instead of being funny, it all comes off as incredibly self-indulgent and sad--especially since you see so much of Mike Myers. You see Myers singing and dancing, pulling floss out of his butt, a long segment featuring a child with Myers' head superimposed on him, Myers' CONSTANT mugging as if he is saying "Wow...ain't I cute?!" and a constant barrage of Myers in every single season! After a very short time, it becomes very, very tiresome--like an Austin Powers movie without a single joke.

As far as the plot goes, it's all about Myers trying to reconcile a hockey player with his estranged wife....if anyone really cares. And, due to a huge number of Razzie awards and poor box office returns, no one did. Don't waste your time unless you are 100% obsessed with Mike Myers and want to watch nothing but what look like outtakes. How could a movie with this big a budget and this many guest appearances be this bad?! Crap.

Why So many Bad reviews?

Author: Thomas Atchley from United States
10 October 2008

i'm really surprised that so many people hated this movie, especially saying that cat in the hat was better... wtf? i would rather punch myself in the face than see that movie. this movie actually funny, funnier than goldmember and the spy who shagged me, which severely disappoint4ed me. i would first let everyone know, who is reading this, to not believe everything you read about this movie, go buy it, or if you do not have sufficient funds, go rent it or borrow it, and then decide for your own self whether or not you like it. make your own mind up about it, not somebody else's. i give it an 8/10 because i actually watched it and thought it was funny, i didn't leave in the first 15 minutes like all the other retards who reviewed it without finishin the movie

Such An Embarrassment of Non-Riches

Author: Dshannon-8 from United States
24 January 2009

I'm glad I wasn't in the UK's Celebrity Big Brother House this year. Not because I wouldn't have enjoyed meeting some of the others, but because at one stage fellow house mate Verne Troyer might have asked me about the last film he did with his best friend, and I wouldn't be comfortable lying to him and denying that I thought The Love Guru was a cinematic mutant mistakenly allowed to live and breathe rather than be put to a merciful sleep in the development stage.

Hey, I like Mike Myers. He has a measure of talent and charisma and likability, and I applaud his deserved financial and critical success with the Wayne's World and Austin Powers films (though he went one movie too far with Goldmember). Having said that, Myers, like his fellow SNL alumnus Will Ferrell, is like a kid wandering about a shop eating food off the shelves and generally behaving like someone in desperate need of supervision and guidance. Let's be honest, Ferrell's last decent leading role was in Anchorman (2004), and while he's been fine in supporting work like The Producers (2005), everything else that he's had a hand in has been a series of embarrassments of varying levels. And sadly, Myers can too easily fall into the same degree of arrested development.

People who know me know that I may go on about a lot of bad movies, but more often than not, I enjoyed watching them, and perversely can watch them again. This one, however, I'm ashamed that I ever wasted bandwidth getting it, let alone consider watching it again.

Myers' characters have always been one-note, with a limited appeal. But his latest Guru Pitka went too far when he thought of writing it down; in comparison, his Beatnik poet Charlie from So I Married An Axe Murderer (1993) was a character of multi-layered nuance, and more importantly, one that people would much rather watch. The very concept should have been seen as potentially execrable and insulting to Hindus. Yes, I know he tries to get around this in the movie by claiming that Pitka wasn't really a Hindu, but an American raised by Hindus, but like so much else in this movie, that attempt fails miserably given what passes for humor.

Hey, I like Dumb Humor – when it's done right. Dodgeball, Epic Movie, Jay and Silent Bob. But the gags in The Love Guru come in three flavors: racist, gross and infantile, and in various mixtures thereof. The racist names he came up with (Harenmahkeester, Satchabigknoba) is the sort of thing an ignorant ten-year-old kid would come up with to make the other ignorant ten-year-old kids in the playground laugh. Yes, isn't it hilarious that Indian people all have big long names? The rest of the atrocity is filled with other dodgy names like Coach Cherkov and Dick Pants, as well as alleged jokes about snot balls and nose hairs, humping elephants, food prepared to look like genitals, and buckets of urine – all of which probably would have sounded funny in 1988 in the writers' brainstorming sessions in the SNL offices at 3am when you're doped up on caffeine, but I honestly can't believe that a 45-year-old man wrote this crap down in 2008 and thought this would be funny in any other circumstances.

And the execution of these so-called gags is almost consistently accompanied by Myers with the same sort of mugging grin to the camera that he perfected with Wayne Campbell and Austin Powers – the difference here being that those other characters had moments where they really were humorous, but seeing Myers try it with Pitka is akin to watching an inept magician fail every trick, but still take a rehearsed bow after each one, oblivious to the negative reaction he's getting from his audience. And worse, he drives the jokes so deep into the ground, again and again, you expect them to bump into Hilary Swank piloting her subterranean machine around the Earth's Core.

And the storyline carrying these non-gags, like the sores on the back of a leper, is just as awful: a guru seeking fame and a spot on Oprah counsels a Canadian hockey player who wants to win back his wife from a rival, Jacques "Le Coq" Grande, who apparently is well-endowed (Get it? Le Coq Grande?). Another lesson to learn, Mike: Sports Themes Aren't Funny. Canadian Sports Themes Aren't Funny, Cubed. It may give you the chance to hang about with your heroes, but it's a waste of time for the rest of us. Some have tried to point out the satire in Pitka's self-help philosophies, but satire only works when it makes a point, and doesn't just appear indistinguishable from the targets it's allegedly satirizing.

In case I haven't made it clear, this is a Bad Film. Not So Bad It's Good, like The Oxford Murders (2008). This is embarrassing on levels I haven't seen in ages. Some bad movies have people in it who can rise above the mediocrity, but this one is like quicksand, sucking people down and suffocating them. And I'm not talking about the likes of Verne Troyer, Jessica Alba and Justin Timberlake, who were basically employees who probably needed the money, or the cameos from Oprah and Val Kilmer. I'm talking about Ben F**king Kingsley.

How does a respected Oscar winner go from playing Gandhi to playing Guru Tugginmypudha?

Very funny

Author: alexeveringham from United States
21 June 2008

This film is not meant to be taken seriously for it's plot. It's a Mike Myers film, you go to his films to see a lot of funny puns, quirky jokes, and humorous and sometimes unreal circumstances. Do not enter this movie expecting:

-A fantastic movie, cinema quality wise -Mike Myers Best work -Mike Myers Worst work -or even his most mediocre work, it's not his worst, but not his best.

Go expecting:

-A fun time -Frequent good laughs -Mike Myers style comedy.

So yeah, go and enjoy.

People take life too seriously.

Author: paulyknowles from United Kingdom
2 February 2011

I can't believe some of the reviews of this movie. Seriously, most of you should stop watching comedies and stick to drama/thrillers or "romcoms".

This film is pure slapstick and no holds-barred stupidity and for me and my girlfriend was one of the funniest films we've seen for a long time. As stated in another review, maybe this is an English thing but for me the humour in this was classic and Ben Kingsley was outstanding.

Sure Mike Myers hugs the screen but why not? His character is extremely funny and the film is focused on his adventure. Another one to watch out for here is Justin Timberlake who completely changed my opinion of him with his role here and his obvious ability to laugh at himself. I was surprised to see him play this character and respect due he plays it brilliantly.

This is a must see for people who don't take themselves too seriously and like to just sit back and laugh at stupid for stupid's sake.

I think people who didn't like this movie are on downer drugs!!!

Author: alliance109 from Canada
17 July 2010

How could someone not love this movie?! i watched it 4 times to see why people might not like it and honestly i don't get it. and i was in stitches every time. This movie is absolutely hilarious (special thanks to Justin Timberlake). I don't know what people expected but there wasn't a dull moment in this movie. It opens with hilarity and everyone involved did a great job. The concept was already done with Eddie Murphy and even though he is my idol he didn't do a great job like Myers did. It's feel good and 100% Mike Myers. Don't listen to the grumps who didn't like this movie. Watch it with an open mind and enjoy the show!! it's great!!!

I laughed through out.

Author: jsn_reece from United States
14 October 2008

My cheeks started hurting by laughing to much.I don't know why so many people hated this film.I saw this movie on one of my vacations from work,and when it cane out,my brother took his girlfriend and asked me If I wanted to go. At first I didn't want to go,because I didn't know what it was at first.But he is a lot different than seeing mike myers in Wayne's world.So it is just for someone who wants a few good laughs................. ............ ... ........ .............. .......... .......... ........... ................ ............ .............. ........................ .................... ............. ... .... ...... ..... ..... .... ........ ..... ...... ........ ...... ..... ...... .....