IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Love Guru

The Love Guru More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

One of the main characters is named 'Jacques 'Le Coq' Grande'---I think this says all you need to know about this lovely and incredibly subtle film...

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
23 June 2010

Didn't someone during the entire production process stop to realize that it just wasn't funny?! I mean, it's pretty obvious from all the many, many lame jokes that fall flat that there is something seriously wrong with this film. Instead of being funny, it all comes off as incredibly self-indulgent and sad--especially since you see so much of Mike Myers. You see Myers singing and dancing, pulling floss out of his butt, a long segment featuring a child with Myers' head superimposed on him, Myers' CONSTANT mugging as if he is saying "Wow...ain't I cute?!" and a constant barrage of Myers in every single season! After a very short time, it becomes very, very tiresome--like an Austin Powers movie without a single joke.

As far as the plot goes, it's all about Myers trying to reconcile a hockey player with his estranged wife....if anyone really cares. And, due to a huge number of Razzie awards and poor box office returns, no one did. Don't waste your time unless you are 100% obsessed with Mike Myers and want to watch nothing but what look like outtakes. How could a movie with this big a budget and this many guest appearances be this bad?! Crap.

Such An Embarrassment of Non-Riches

Author: Dshannon-8 from United States
24 January 2009

I'm glad I wasn't in the UK's Celebrity Big Brother House this year. Not because I wouldn't have enjoyed meeting some of the others, but because at one stage fellow house mate Verne Troyer might have asked me about the last film he did with his best friend, and I wouldn't be comfortable lying to him and denying that I thought The Love Guru was a cinematic mutant mistakenly allowed to live and breathe rather than be put to a merciful sleep in the development stage.

Hey, I like Mike Myers. He has a measure of talent and charisma and likability, and I applaud his deserved financial and critical success with the Wayne's World and Austin Powers films (though he went one movie too far with Goldmember). Having said that, Myers, like his fellow SNL alumnus Will Ferrell, is like a kid wandering about a shop eating food off the shelves and generally behaving like someone in desperate need of supervision and guidance. Let's be honest, Ferrell's last decent leading role was in Anchorman (2004), and while he's been fine in supporting work like The Producers (2005), everything else that he's had a hand in has been a series of embarrassments of varying levels. And sadly, Myers can too easily fall into the same degree of arrested development.

People who know me know that I may go on about a lot of bad movies, but more often than not, I enjoyed watching them, and perversely can watch them again. This one, however, I'm ashamed that I ever wasted bandwidth getting it, let alone consider watching it again.

Myers' characters have always been one-note, with a limited appeal. But his latest Guru Pitka went too far when he thought of writing it down; in comparison, his Beatnik poet Charlie from So I Married An Axe Murderer (1993) was a character of multi-layered nuance, and more importantly, one that people would much rather watch. The very concept should have been seen as potentially execrable and insulting to Hindus. Yes, I know he tries to get around this in the movie by claiming that Pitka wasn't really a Hindu, but an American raised by Hindus, but like so much else in this movie, that attempt fails miserably given what passes for humor.

Hey, I like Dumb Humor – when it's done right. Dodgeball, Epic Movie, Jay and Silent Bob. But the gags in The Love Guru come in three flavors: racist, gross and infantile, and in various mixtures thereof. The racist names he came up with (Harenmahkeester, Satchabigknoba) is the sort of thing an ignorant ten-year-old kid would come up with to make the other ignorant ten-year-old kids in the playground laugh. Yes, isn't it hilarious that Indian people all have big long names? The rest of the atrocity is filled with other dodgy names like Coach Cherkov and Dick Pants, as well as alleged jokes about snot balls and nose hairs, humping elephants, food prepared to look like genitals, and buckets of urine – all of which probably would have sounded funny in 1988 in the writers' brainstorming sessions in the SNL offices at 3am when you're doped up on caffeine, but I honestly can't believe that a 45-year-old man wrote this crap down in 2008 and thought this would be funny in any other circumstances.

And the execution of these so-called gags is almost consistently accompanied by Myers with the same sort of mugging grin to the camera that he perfected with Wayne Campbell and Austin Powers – the difference here being that those other characters had moments where they really were humorous, but seeing Myers try it with Pitka is akin to watching an inept magician fail every trick, but still take a rehearsed bow after each one, oblivious to the negative reaction he's getting from his audience. And worse, he drives the jokes so deep into the ground, again and again, you expect them to bump into Hilary Swank piloting her subterranean machine around the Earth's Core.

And the storyline carrying these non-gags, like the sores on the back of a leper, is just as awful: a guru seeking fame and a spot on Oprah counsels a Canadian hockey player who wants to win back his wife from a rival, Jacques "Le Coq" Grande, who apparently is well-endowed (Get it? Le Coq Grande?). Another lesson to learn, Mike: Sports Themes Aren't Funny. Canadian Sports Themes Aren't Funny, Cubed. It may give you the chance to hang about with your heroes, but it's a waste of time for the rest of us. Some have tried to point out the satire in Pitka's self-help philosophies, but satire only works when it makes a point, and doesn't just appear indistinguishable from the targets it's allegedly satirizing.

In case I haven't made it clear, this is a Bad Film. Not So Bad It's Good, like The Oxford Murders (2008). This is embarrassing on levels I haven't seen in ages. Some bad movies have people in it who can rise above the mediocrity, but this one is like quicksand, sucking people down and suffocating them. And I'm not talking about the likes of Verne Troyer, Jessica Alba and Justin Timberlake, who were basically employees who probably needed the money, or the cameos from Oprah and Val Kilmer. I'm talking about Ben F**king Kingsley.

How does a respected Oscar winner go from playing Gandhi to playing Guru Tugginmypudha?

Simple. Smart. No B-ricks or S-tove.

Author: dankoretsky from Israel
14 September 2008

The movie was genius. I laughed like mad all movie. I am sorry but he didn't lose it from Austin Powers. He moved beyond all that. I really don't know how this movie got such a low mark. Shows that the ratings here cannot be easily trusted. This is a first for me to write a comment about a movie. I just wanted to make sure at least one real comment exists about the movie. He passes through quite a few simple ideas that most grown ups have forgotten a fairly long while ago - in an original way. He intended his character to be overly self-absorbed. For the exact reasons of the message - most of you people are like that! Just get it already. People like Mike do this their whole life hoping to reach a small proportion of you - the ones writing the comment are not in that portion sadly.

I thought this movie was very funny

Author: adamceltic426 from Perth, Australia
20 April 2009

I like to think of myself as a person who has an intelligent sense of what comedy is and dosn't laugh at stupid clichés and juvenile jokes

but I like to laugh and this movie mad me laugh a lot

coupled with some very good performances from people like Stephen Colbert and john oliver i loved this movie

i also thought the plot line was quite good not the thickest but interesting

I can see why some people may not like it but I thought it was funnier than Austin Powers and quite a lot of other silly comedies

I have to say if you have a good sense of humour you will like this movie

Oh, yes. It was very funny

Author: daygecko from United States
19 November 2009

I was surprised many people didn't love the Love Guru but then I realized they probably were not very familiar with the self-help community, self-help seminars, the Eastern Religious movement in America, or ever sat with a real guru. My familiarity with all of the above make everything so hilarious in the Love Guru that I have put this film in my top 20 films of all time.

Mike Myer's giggling guru was dead on! And his jogging hand waving again was so much like happy seminar self-help people that I nearly peed my pants. Guru Pitka's seminar was so funny. Mariska Hargity was genius. You know why these self-help millionaire people smile just like Mike Myers? Because they are making an easy living 9 to 5 telling us why we are miserable.

I brought my DVD to a Buddhist friend's house to see the movie and they thought it was delightfully funny. They were not offended in the least bit. I asked them if they knew Deepak Chopra and they pulled two of his books from the coffee table. I nearly choked with laughter.

Okay, so you don't get the movie. Go read some self-help book, go to a couple of seminars, take yoga and definitely go listen to a few guru. You will get it.

even straight teenage guys would rather watch sex in the city

Author: Dane L from United States
9 July 2008

this movie is simply pathetic in almost every way. the only 2 actors that add anything at all to this are Jessica Alba(who needs to fire her agent or who ever got her this roll) and Verne Taylor. Mike Myers part could have been played better by a chimp and if it was at least it would have an make it worse Mike wrote this waste of film forever damming his writing and quite possibly his acting carer. As for the actual movie plot it is given to you in the first 5 minutes of the film and does not make a single twist, surprise, or even sense. he (Myers charter fails at his job yet it still yields results while writing this Myers catches this huge plot hole and fills it with something that to every one amazement makes, no sense. every joke is about penises and not a single one liner pops up in the film

Author: timwat-960-593372 from United Kingdom
27 July 2011

OK, I'm going to write about 8 lines for this movie because I don't even want to waste anymore time of my life explaining it... It's absolutely, Terrible. 100% Garbage, its in the worst 3 movies I have ever seen and I have seen A lot OF MOVIES. There's no funny scenes the acting is terrible, and the after watching the characters for about 3 minutes, you will want to punch them all in the face.

if you download movies, don't even download it.

if you find it on the floor don't pick it up.

if someone gives it you as a present recycle it.

whatever you do, do not view this garbage.

0/10 If I could go that low.

The Love Guru for a while wasn't listed under Mike Myers on IMDb

Author: headly66 from New Jersey
7 January 2011

I wonder why if you go to the Mike Myers title page on IMDb and look at the films he has acted in this little gem was mysteriously missing in action for a year. That said, this has to be one of the worst comedies ever made, it simply does not work on any level, all the jokes fall flat, the acting if you can call it that is atrocious and the script seemingly written by Mike when he was 8 years old. Everything that was good about the Austin Powers movies has the opposite effect here. The character is simply not interesting, likable or funny in any way, the plot makes no sense and you can see the jokes coming a mile away. A sad downturn in a good comedy career. Plus that we have all heard Myers was very hard to work with on this and it shows, no one had the balls to tell him it stunk.

The most democratic movie possible: insults everyone

Author: Guy Lanoue from Canada
12 February 2011

All I can say is, wow. Is it possible that a once talented showman became so suicidal that he managed to talk people into giving him 60 million dollars so he could make this career-ender? Masochism is a multi-layered thing. This movie is one long puerile penis joke. What was funny in the context of trailer park losers Wayne and Garth twenty years ago has become an insult to the public. Myers is nearly 50 years old, for heaven's sake, and the best he can come up with is two elephants copulating on the ice in game 7 of the Stanley Cup? Are people that venal to star in this POS? I understand Jessica Alba, like who knew it would be this bad, but the others? There's no excuse to compromise other people's careers if Myers has a death wish, which he apparently does. Penis jokes, testicle jokes, scrotum jokes, ass jokes, it's all too much. Not to mention racist, an insult to Indians, to Maple Leaf fans, to short people, to Jessica Alba fans, to everyone. I guess this is also a tribute to the Hollywood system, where Myers' inflated ego on the basis of the Shrek cash cow can actually convince real human beings to give him a gadzillion dollars. I won't even mention the starving Africans and Indians who could have used the money, it's an insult to them. Hell, building a sewage treatment plant with this money would have done humanity a major favour. Didn't anyone have the courage somewhere along the line to tell Myers to reign it in, to hire a decent scriptwriter if he no longer has it, or just perhaps to rest on his Shrek laurels and play golf? What's really disturbing isn't that this isn't funny (most things aren't), but that it's really mean-spirited. The only redeeming features are Justin Timberlake (who knew?) and a Verne Troyer outtake over the credits. The other 89 and a half minutes should be consigned to Heaven's Gate hell, and Myers should apologise to everyone involved.

Thoroughly dispiriting 'comeback'; knocked out in the first round.

Author: wadechurton from New Zealand
12 December 2010

They played this one on TV, and I happened to be in the room, pottering about on a Sunday evening. That is the only reason I decided to watch this, because it's been out for two years and one has to have been in an isolation tank not to have heard what a turkey 'The Love Guru' is. It almost made those rubbish Troma movies appear amusing, or at least on a par. On a par, in this case, with the belated 'comeback' effort of a formerly successful and well-liked comedy writer-director-actor whose career had bloomed in the 1990s and floundered in the 2000s. After revisiting his most successful creation (1960s spy-spoof 'Austin Powers') with a third trip to the well in 2002, Myers' live-action movie career stumbled with definitive misfire 'The Cat In The Hat' in 2003. For the next five years Myers remained off-screen, voicing the title character of the animated 'Shrek' movie franchise, until...'The Love Guru'. The movie's many faults are detailed by other posters, but what struck me was how truly sad an experience it was. A genuinely heart-sinking experience akin to watching an old dog trying to jump the fence one time too many. Myers' sense of comedy has gone seriously -and perhaps permanently- adrift, and he has effectively taken a mildly diverting two-minute TV show sketch and stretched it to micron-thinness over a motion picture frame. Look, shall we just do both Mike Myers and ourselves a favour and remember him as he was; i.e. cute and funny? This sad, sobering movie is like a chapter from 'Hollywood Babylon'.