IMDb > The Love Guru (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Not Mike Myers's best

Author: Matthew Williams (chosenone2oo5@aol.com) from United States
24 June 2008

I may be a bit generous with the star-rating system, true. But I do know what I was feeling after the credits started rolling. Disappointment. And don't get me wrong. I am a huge Mike Myers fan. I am a devout fan of Austin Powers, Wayne's World (where's #3 in the series???), and, actually, yes, I did enjoy Cat in the Hat, although it was not a piece of art. And I understand if fans of Mike Myers will still go to see this film. I did after all, even after reading the terrible reviews. Sadly, this time, the critics were correct. Mike knows better. The director should've known better. Mike Myers's return to live action comedy is more than disappointing. Even the character, Your Holiness the Guru Pitka, was unlikeable (which is a first for a Mike Myers character). He was so full of himself, so damn selfish, no one cared if he succeeded. His giggle-fits were too common to spark a slight giggle from the audience. And although the women in the film were pure eye-candy (Jessica Alba, Meagan Good, even Mariska Hargitay and Jessica Simpson made cameos), they became little more than that with such a flat script. Sorry Mike. Maybe next time. A fourth Austin Powers would be quite a way to get back in the game with your biggest fans:)

Funny and Entertaining

Author: j-burke-2 from United States
21 June 2008

I'm not quite sure why everyone is bashing this movie. Did you expect to see an in-depth character study of eastern mysticism or some soul-searching drama that reveals the truth of life? Were you hoping for plot twists and surprise endings? This is movie is exactly what I expected and hoped for. It is filled with juvenile, pubescent humor and had my wife, 10-year old son, and me laughing the whole way through.

The movie is standard Hollywood formula, but they do it to perfection. Mike Meyers was right smack in his comfort zone. Ben Kingsley and Justin Timberlake were fantastically raucous. And Jessica Alba was.... well Jessica Alba was incredibly HOT! I absolutely recommend this movie to anyone wanting a light-hearted, albeit corny trip to the movies. There was a lot of sexual innuendo, but if you are sheltering your children from what awaits them in the real world, you are destined to be a young grandparent.

The Burke's give this movie to thumbs up.

Surprisingly Funny ONLY If You Don't Mind Stupid Humor

Author: Matttttttttttt from United States
20 June 2008

I can see this movie is being murdered by reviewers on this board. Well, I'll give you my point of view on the film that I saw last night. Going in with low expectations, I actually found myself laughing VERY hard at certain parts of the film.

Sure, most of the humor is stolen straight out of the Austin Powers series, but it's still funny. The performances by Mike Myers, Justin Timberlake, and Verne Troyer are hilarious. Mike Myers is great as always and Timberlake is surprisingly very funny. The interaction between Myers and Troyer (stolen straight from AP) is absolutely hilarious.

If you're looking for a deep, thought-provoking movie, you're going to be sadly disappointed. But if you can't tell that from the preview, then maybe you should get your head checked out. The movie is all about "moments" and plays out like a long SNL sketch. If you can leave your mind at the door and accept the toilet humor, you might find yourself enjoying it.

Most people reviewing the film 1/10 have probably not even bothered to see it. Others are coming on the board and marking high ratings as "not useful" and lower ratings as "useful". I will bet money that many people find review "not useful" by just looking at the 7 stars I gave it. There are many people just destined to see this movie fail because they think it looks stupid. See the movie for yourself and don't allow others who haven't even SEEN the film tell you that it's awful.

GREAT....if you don't take it seriously

Author: mickeyiotov from United States
22 June 2008

OF COURSE this movie was going to be silly comedy. Its mike myers!!!! I entered this movie having no idea what was going to come out and maybe thats why i loved it. It was about random things but DID have an over all plot. The love guru tried to restore a couple while trying to find out about his own love.

Many people can relate to these jokes of religion and meditating and you may even learn a thing or too, but again don't take all things 100%. If you can carefully interpret what the movies motifs are then you will think it is a good move.

Overall, this is a movie of puns and if you like mike myers you will most probably enjoy this movie.

One of the Best..!!!

Author: prophecyofdeath from United Arab Emirates
10 August 2008

I am sorry , but this happens to be one of the funniest movies I have every seen. I understand not everyone will get every joke played out in this movie. But with all the negative comment i read for this movie i had to say something. This is one of Myers good movies, if u like Austin Powers this is a good one. To anyone out there reading this comment along with others , watch the movie and decide for yourself. Its a no-Brainer comedy movie. There are lot of crude jokes but who cares, we like a rude jokes time to time. Not all jokes have to be clean, But in the end all i will say is , Myers comedy is not everyones cup of tea, and if ur talking about rating and other people opinion as this movie been in in Bottom:100 I never understood why is "GodFather" in Top:100.. Soo , if u want a time pass comedy watch it, make ur own mind and if u don't like it , come back and comment on it, no one is stopping you, but if u happen to like it, come back and tell us...

As for me , its a 10/10

Funniest Film, i've seen since Goldmember

Author: djewson from United Kingdom
14 July 2008

What are all these other people on exactly....! This really was the funniest film I have seen for quite a few years. The last film to make me laugh out loud this much was another Mike Myers Film - Austin Powers 3 Goldmember.

My girlfriend watched this with me also and even she was crying with laughter. Maybe its an English thing but the humour was right on the button.

DO NOT take any notice of the low score and bad reviews, do yourself a favour, make your own mind up.

I am actually going to see this again over the next week, I really did enjoy it that much.

Keep up the the excellent work Mike....

Not even a tenth as bad as others make it seem.

Author: psypeterson from Canada
14 October 2008

To call this the worst movie of the year, or the worst movie ever shown in theaters, is sheer pompousness at its best.

That being said; this is by no means a great movie. It is hilariously crude, random, and quirky, but the humour is obviously not for everyone. The Love Guru uses a tried, but true, comedy formula and rarely strays from it. However; some of the off-the-wall jokes will have you laughing your face off, and will keep returning to your mind, making you laugh days after you watched the film. The acting is par, and Steven Colbert delivers the funniest performance I've seen in a long while.

Don't go into this film looking for genius or groundbreaking comedy mastery; go into this film expecting a decent laugh which you won't regret.

It is what it is supposed to be! A Silly Parody!

Author: inyourimage from United States
20 June 2008

I read self-help books, I study religions and spirituality, and I thought this was a funny movie. Movies such as these teach us to not take life so seriously. It would seem that anyone who claims to have any sense of spirituality or enlightenment, and was offended by this movie, doesn't really understand Truth. To be pro the movie, or neutral to the movie is one thing, but to attack the movie, to be against the movie, would seem to be self-defeating. Attacking the movie gives energy (and publicity) to it, for which, I'm sure the makers are very grateful. I thought the headlines of certain people being 'outraged' by the movie were as humorous as the movie. Deepak knows...he took it in good fun.

One of the main characters is named 'Jacques 'Le Coq' Grande'---I think this says all you need to know about this lovely and incredibly subtle film...

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
23 June 2010

Didn't someone during the entire production process stop to realize that it just wasn't funny?! I mean, it's pretty obvious from all the many, many lame jokes that fall flat that there is something seriously wrong with this film. Instead of being funny, it all comes off as incredibly self-indulgent and sad--especially since you see so much of Mike Myers. You see Myers singing and dancing, pulling floss out of his butt, a long segment featuring a child with Myers' head superimposed on him, Myers' CONSTANT mugging as if he is saying "Wow...ain't I cute?!" and a constant barrage of Myers in every single season! After a very short time, it becomes very, very tiresome--like an Austin Powers movie without a single joke.

As far as the plot goes, it's all about Myers trying to reconcile a hockey player with his estranged wife....if anyone really cares. And, due to a huge number of Razzie awards and poor box office returns, no one did. Don't waste your time unless you are 100% obsessed with Mike Myers and want to watch nothing but what look like outtakes. How could a movie with this big a budget and this many guest appearances be this bad?! Crap.

Such An Embarrassment of Non-Riches

Author: Dshannon-8 from United States
24 January 2009

I'm glad I wasn't in the UK's Celebrity Big Brother House this year. Not because I wouldn't have enjoyed meeting some of the others, but because at one stage fellow house mate Verne Troyer might have asked me about the last film he did with his best friend, and I wouldn't be comfortable lying to him and denying that I thought The Love Guru was a cinematic mutant mistakenly allowed to live and breathe rather than be put to a merciful sleep in the development stage.

Hey, I like Mike Myers. He has a measure of talent and charisma and likability, and I applaud his deserved financial and critical success with the Wayne's World and Austin Powers films (though he went one movie too far with Goldmember). Having said that, Myers, like his fellow SNL alumnus Will Ferrell, is like a kid wandering about a shop eating food off the shelves and generally behaving like someone in desperate need of supervision and guidance. Let's be honest, Ferrell's last decent leading role was in Anchorman (2004), and while he's been fine in supporting work like The Producers (2005), everything else that he's had a hand in has been a series of embarrassments of varying levels. And sadly, Myers can too easily fall into the same degree of arrested development.

People who know me know that I may go on about a lot of bad movies, but more often than not, I enjoyed watching them, and perversely can watch them again. This one, however, I'm ashamed that I ever wasted bandwidth getting it, let alone consider watching it again.

Myers' characters have always been one-note, with a limited appeal. But his latest Guru Pitka went too far when he thought of writing it down; in comparison, his Beatnik poet Charlie from So I Married An Axe Murderer (1993) was a character of multi-layered nuance, and more importantly, one that people would much rather watch. The very concept should have been seen as potentially execrable and insulting to Hindus. Yes, I know he tries to get around this in the movie by claiming that Pitka wasn't really a Hindu, but an American raised by Hindus, but like so much else in this movie, that attempt fails miserably given what passes for humor.

Hey, I like Dumb Humor – when it's done right. Dodgeball, Epic Movie, Jay and Silent Bob. But the gags in The Love Guru come in three flavors: racist, gross and infantile, and in various mixtures thereof. The racist names he came up with (Harenmahkeester, Satchabigknoba) is the sort of thing an ignorant ten-year-old kid would come up with to make the other ignorant ten-year-old kids in the playground laugh. Yes, isn't it hilarious that Indian people all have big long names? The rest of the atrocity is filled with other dodgy names like Coach Cherkov and Dick Pants, as well as alleged jokes about snot balls and nose hairs, humping elephants, food prepared to look like genitals, and buckets of urine – all of which probably would have sounded funny in 1988 in the writers' brainstorming sessions in the SNL offices at 3am when you're doped up on caffeine, but I honestly can't believe that a 45-year-old man wrote this crap down in 2008 and thought this would be funny in any other circumstances.

And the execution of these so-called gags is almost consistently accompanied by Myers with the same sort of mugging grin to the camera that he perfected with Wayne Campbell and Austin Powers – the difference here being that those other characters had moments where they really were humorous, but seeing Myers try it with Pitka is akin to watching an inept magician fail every trick, but still take a rehearsed bow after each one, oblivious to the negative reaction he's getting from his audience. And worse, he drives the jokes so deep into the ground, again and again, you expect them to bump into Hilary Swank piloting her subterranean machine around the Earth's Core.

And the storyline carrying these non-gags, like the sores on the back of a leper, is just as awful: a guru seeking fame and a spot on Oprah counsels a Canadian hockey player who wants to win back his wife from a rival, Jacques "Le Coq" Grande, who apparently is well-endowed (Get it? Le Coq Grande?). Another lesson to learn, Mike: Sports Themes Aren't Funny. Canadian Sports Themes Aren't Funny, Cubed. It may give you the chance to hang about with your heroes, but it's a waste of time for the rest of us. Some have tried to point out the satire in Pitka's self-help philosophies, but satire only works when it makes a point, and doesn't just appear indistinguishable from the targets it's allegedly satirizing.

In case I haven't made it clear, this is a Bad Film. Not So Bad It's Good, like The Oxford Murders (2008). This is embarrassing on levels I haven't seen in ages. Some bad movies have people in it who can rise above the mediocrity, but this one is like quicksand, sucking people down and suffocating them. And I'm not talking about the likes of Verne Troyer, Jessica Alba and Justin Timberlake, who were basically employees who probably needed the money, or the cameos from Oprah and Val Kilmer. I'm talking about Ben F**king Kingsley.

How does a respected Oscar winner go from playing Gandhi to playing Guru Tugginmypudha?

Page 2 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]