IMDb > High School Musical 2 (2007) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
High School Musical 2

High School Musical 2 (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What Time Is It? Time To Cash In! (and why HSM does exactly that)

Author: (nivekj1@gmail.com) from Tallahassee, Florida
14 August 2007

I've finally found out the reason why the High School Musical phenomenon is such a success. Why the first movie's soundtrack was the top-selling CD of last year. Why there are ice shows, stage productions (amateur and pro), karaoke CDs, and karaoke DVDs to boot. It all traces back to the 90s.

You see, the 1990s gave birth to NSync, Backstreet Boys, the Spice Girls, Britney, Christina, Jessica, what have you. But their time wasn't meant for the 90s. They had come too early. Music honestly wasn't ready to cycle back to the confectionery, syrupy, Velveeta meets cotton candy of the late 50s/ early 60s. But now is the time.

The reason that High School Musical, and now Part 2, are such a success is because 1990'S POP MUSIC IS BACK WITH A VENGEANCE!!! High School Musical was the Reset Button, if you will, setting kidz-bop-pop back in its rightful place. Adults have their music, their innuendos, their profane-angry-paranoid-hurtfully honest songs. Why not give the kids a break? A place to be a kid?

The sequel does a great job of avoiding the urge to fix what's unbroken, but instead to polish it. This film isn't darker, but it is spunkier. More attitude, and even more confidence (if that's hard to imagine). This film is strictly for A) kids, and B) people who not only remember but enjoyed being kids. High School Musical 2 is a burst of joyful exuberance. Winks towards adult audiences have their place, but so do productions where a kid isn't talked down to or expected to grow up too fast.

The straight-up theater pop of the first has been replaced with more of a Hip-Hop/ Arena Pop edge. Less Broadway, more Billboard. Plus, the mythological task of defeating high school cliques has been replaced with simply earning a check for the summer. The movie wants to feel bigger than the last, but it's actually more intimate. That's an unintended plus.

The cast goes through some drama this time around, and some changes are made, character-wise. This was the biggest surprise. Disney Channel could have simply done a rehash of the first film, but everyone involved truly did a great job. I forgot that, as corny as the premise - the whole franchise - is, these guys can really act. And sing. And dance. No wonder Disney gonna's make a fortune.

And no wonder musical theater is so rough. Every single participant has to be a Triple Threat. But that's part of the fantasy of the first film: making the audition, giving it your all, and gaining the applause and support of your peers. What's great about this second movie is, really it's about the reverse of that. LOSING the support of your peers. Losing yourself in search of something you don't really need, not yet anyway. It's a good message: The future will come soon enough. Enjoy being a kid and being with the ones who love you while you still can.

Still, if this second movie doesn't match up to the first, it's because of moving it away from the dream of Triple Talent Status. No longer a musical about a musical, it instead becomes a musical about a country club. Instead of risking social status to be yourself, to find yourself, it is now about the dangers of losing yourself, by giving into social status. More dramatic, sure. A stroke of genius, I would say, except for the fact that it's still a freakin' High School Musical movie, not a Country Club Musical movie.

By moving into more complex territory, it grows up. But by default, it is less fun, just a smidgen less, than the original. To its credit, it isn't stale (the new setting keeps it fresh), but Disney Channel, Ortega, and all company involved will be hard pressed to create a three-quel that's just as fun, lively and CHOCK FULL OF 90'S POP as the original. A return to the theater would be welcome.

As for the songs themselves, let's just say I've been fair enough to comment that I enjoyed the MOVIE for what it was. Disney's been great at soundtracks but they'll have to do a lot better for part 3. Aside from the opener and a baseball game/swing number, there's not much to enjoy this time around, once again due in part to the removal of the high school locale.

The kids will LOVE IT, the parents will Tolerate it, Disney Channel will collect money hand over fist, and everyone else will have no idea what is going on because they've failed to realize (A) what it meant to be a kid, (B) that 90's Pop Music is back with a vengeance, and (C) everybody wants to sing and dance, even if they don't want to admit it.

Danger! America's IQ is dropping!

Author: soitgoes5 from United States
15 June 2008

Okay, so the day the first High School Musical came out I watched a documentary on PBS instead, so I had no idea what horrors were going on at Disney Channel until the next day at school. I stepped into class and WHAM! I hear everyone belting out "We're soarin', flyin'," and "We're all in this together!" and I was like, "What the heck are you guys singing?" and in unison they cried, "High School Musical!" and I could literally see America's IQ was falling. So I decided to see it for my self, and I must say I was sickened by the time they got to, "Stick to the Status Quo." No song should actually tell you to be average. I was disgusted by all the actors, especially Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Tisdale, who seemed to have no brains at all, for bringing this message to the world. And now High School Musical 2. Even worse than the first. It's completely devoid of any intelligence. And don't think I'm some teenager watching R-rated horror movies-I'm a twelve-year-old watching R-rated Oscar winners. I'm not saying parents have to let their kids watch Silence of the Lambs instead of High School Musical-but please, at least let them watch decent musicals/movies, like The Sound of Music or Dr. Strangelove (which is not a musical but still great-and rated PG! Don't say your kids won't get the jokes either-I got them when I was seven!) or maybe Singing in the Rain. Not this crud. Do you really want your kids watching airheaded rich kids complain about their boyfriends/girlfriends and how terrible their lives are? I didn't think so. Please, save America's movie reputation by bringing and end to High School Musical!!!

Completely unnecessary, badly written, and an unfortunate display of the Disney Channel's downward spiral

Author: randomspontaneity from United States
22 August 2007

I really wish I could think of this movie in a way other than negatively.

I cannot stand sequels in general, and this one, I must say, was one of the most pointless. High School Musical centered around...well, just that. High School Musical 2 had nothing to do with a musical; it was simply a group of almost-juniors (or whatever grade they're in) getting summer jobs with each other and the issues they face with the jobs. Sure, there was a performance at the end, but that doesn't make up for the absence of the movie's namesake. The plot line was bland and really predictable: Jealous girl loves cute guy who's into another girl, so jealous girl gets angry and goes out of her way to make sure the relationship fails, but jealous girl's plan blows up in her face. Have we not seen that enough in our own lives? I was not thrilled to learn that a High School Musical 2 was being made, but I decided to give it a chance anyway. After viewing the movie, all I can say is this: HSM2 is just another example of how Disney Channel has evolved from a decent channel to a complete wreck.

The one good thing of this movie was Ashley Tisdale's performance; she got the character of Sharpay spot-on. (Edit: After being forced to watch the movie multiple times over, I have "repealed" my statement on Ashley Tisdale's performance: She went completely over the top. No one acts like that; it's not even CLOSE to realistic. She's like a slightly smarter, more catty version of Paris Hilton.)

A very unfortunate 1/10.

Oh dear

Author: MegWhiteIII from United Kingdom
27 October 2007

Where do you start? How about the warped message this film is sending out to children who's families genuinely have money issues? I almost choked on my own disgust when Troy complained that he was fed up of seeing all the rich people at the Country Club while his parents were 'scraping for pennies'. With a house the size of his I doubt they're scraping for anything. Secondly, isn't it wonderfully convenient that they all managed to get pretty good jobs with no previous work experience and that they all managed to secure employment on their first attempt, at the same place, at the same time. Apart from being the luckiest group of 'teenagers' in the world, they are all the most ungrateful group of spoilt brats I've ever witnessed. The jobs they secured aren't given away to teenagers with no employment record and you don't become an assistant chef because you made a Crème Brule and some cookies then complain about it.

Apart from those two minor points that really, really grated on me, the rest of the film is truly dire. I would happily watch High School Muscial (which, I am shamed to admit, made me laugh a little) every day for a week rather than sit through this trash again. The pointless, meandering plot-line, the dreadful, dreadful songs and the nauseating tones of Vanessa Hudgens were all too much for me. I stayed true to my word and sat through the whole thing, but not before my soul was permanently tainted. You may think I'm exaggerating, and you might be right, but a movie hasn't dragged like this since the Forty Year Old Virgin. Mercifully, I didn't have to pay for this one, but I did have to waste electricity on it.

There are many, many bad points to be raised about this poor excuse for a film, and I think Nastarinvonjacobis has made them quite eloquently. Oh, and before I forget, who in the world has a portrait photograph of themselves in their basketball gear in their own room? A dreadful film, even by Disney Channel's standards, I don't recommend this film to anyone, unless you're playing a drinking game to take a shot every time something in this film annoys you (not recommended for those who don't want to get seriously drunk)

OK singing and dancing, unconvincing plot

Author: floofloo from Canada
15 August 2007

I loved the first high school musical film so I paid for the on demand to see this sequel earlier. However, it wasn't up to my expectation.

Surely there were new outfits(including bathing suits), larger stage sets, better choreography, and various styles of songs. So it was not bad if you just want to see more singing and dancing, or if you are fans that only expect to see them again.

But I felt there was something lacking. I sensed more of showing off other than real passionate acting in there (Well, it must be hard to do so after they become famous), which made the characters pop out of the story and become unreal. And the plot (especially the ending) was dry and unconvincing, making it even worse.

HERE STARTS THE SPOILER -------------------------------------------

Firstly, the setting in the resort country club wasn't indeed necessary. It doesn't need to be in the country club to play base ball, swimming, or join a talent show. And the golf scenes actually made the plot weaker because it is hard to believe that Troy was "naturally" gifted in golf as well. Come on, he is a human after all. Making everyone else play stupidly wouldn't make him more like a genius. On the other hand, Sharpay's make up reminds me nothing more than Paris Hilton, especially her sun glasses and hair styles. And it is so sad to see that supporting roles didn't have chance to show their own personalities at all this time.

The major weakness is the ending. By the time I saw Troy coming back to talk to Sharpay, I was expecting Sharpay and Troy to sing together then Ryan and Gabriella. But no, Sharpay and Ryan has nothing to do with it in the end. Ryan asked Troy to do a favor for Sharpay, which turned out to be just another revenge to his sister, as if rejecting her in face was not enough. He directed the show knowing Troy wouldn't be singing, then in another split second he suddenly gave his role to Troy graciously and left himself out of it. And most interestingly, Sharpy, who was abandoned by Troy, rejected by Ryan, then tricked by troy again to believe she would have a chance to sing, end up finding herself kicked out. After all these, she was still amazingly happy and felt thankful to her brother. Well,not even Pairs Hilton would be this dumb.

It can't be clearer that such a plot only wanted to show that this film was all about Troy and Gabriella, nobody else dares to sing in the closing show. OK, I get it.

Well, uhmm..yeah

Author: sweeterlife14 from United States
22 August 2007

This may contain Spoilers OK. I was a hugge fan of HSM 1. But what happened to this movie? I hoped and prayed that they would not kill these movies, because they're a cute and happy movie. But the second one, well this was torture. I am normally a big musical girl and I loved HSM 1's music. But HSM 2 was somewhere of a mix between Barney and The Land Before Time. They sang everything, including Troy and Gabriella's breakup. Oh, don't worry they get back together...without talking about what went on or anything..just YAY we sang together, i love you again. Yeahh...no.

If you are a Zac Efron fan, watch Hairspray a few more times. That's what I did..you see how the acting differs.

Not a horrible sequel..but I think we all know they could've done better. Oh yes! I cannot wait for HSM 3!!!! (sarcasm all the way)

Just as terrible as the original.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
3 September 2009

Was it just me or did the original High School Musical film just reak? Not only did it stink up the place, It made our eyes and ears bleed. Luckily, the first two films didn't come to theatres. So not everyone had to suffer. I'd hoped I didn't have to suffer, but I did and I did suffer. High School musical 2 was just as terrible as the original. I hate both films, but they are such a hit with children. If they are such a hit with children, can't they play it on something like Nick Jr. I know it's not a Nickalodeon film, because they would be too disgusted to play it on their channel. Why couldn't they play it on a two year old's station. Because I had to suffer through the piece of sh*t again. RTeally, watching high School Musical 2 is like watching High School Musical. Once you've seen one you've seen them all. Just a bunch of gay high schoolers singing. High School musical is only for little girls and gays.

Another bad, cheap Disney movie

Author: Kathy from United States
16 December 2007

I've never been a fan of Disney movies including HSM 1. So when I heard about HSM 2 I knew it was going to be pathetic. My little sister begged me to watch so unfortunately I gave in. IT WAS HORRIBLE! It's made HSM 1 look good. The acting is bad and the singing is OK. OK, Zac Efron is cute, not cute enough to make this movie at least half way decent. If you want a good quality movie then it's best to not watch a Disney movie. They're so cheap on Disney movies and celebrities with no talent. And now they're having a HSM 3 that's coming out in theaters, that should be good;) HSM 2 should get a lower rating than 5.2. The only people who should be a entertained by this movie should be little kids. The producers, directors, actors, etc, are just trying go as cheap as they can go and at the same time make money off their viewers. If you want to see a real musical then watch hairspray (2007).

The greatest movie of all time! For people in comas.

Author: DawnofRebellion from United States
30 August 2007

I saw the first High School Musical just after it came out hearing rave reviews and i thought it might be at least interesting. I was wrong, after about 40 mins of watching I would have rather ripped off my own ears and set them on fire than watch for another minute. I had absolutely no intention of watching this sequel but I was asked to by my sister on her birthday so I did. If I had poison handy I would have taken it without a second's hesitation. It was literally the worst "movie" I have ever seen. Don;t get me wrong I enjoy musicals very much, this had the worst songs and most obvious lip-syncing I have ever seen. The dance moves were similar to what you might expect from some backup dancer for Jessica Simpson. What I hate more than this movie (if that's even possible) is the fans. The true fans are the most moronic people I have ever met. Using no logic to backup their arguments of why this movie was so amazing other than 'OMG How can you say High School Musical sucked?? Zac Efron is lyke so kute! I just wanna hug him forever!' I could care less how cute an actor is that does not excuse the horrible monstrous atrocity that is High School Musical! Please for your sake DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE!

Hasn't Gotten Any Better Than The First

Author: Movie_Reviewer123
31 July 2009

Following up from my previous review on High School Musical (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475293/usercomments-778), I'm continuing with the next installment in the "Trilogy of Terror 3". It's High School Musical 2. However, this title is entirely misleading, as it has nothing to do with a high school musical at all. In fact, it's not even set in a high school.

The story (which is so non-existent, it basically isn't a story) is that it's summer vacation, and Troy and Gabriella have gotten jobs at a country club in Colorado. For whatever reason, the entire school seems to have gone to this exact same country club, and again for whatever reason, they continue to work at this club though they make it evident they aren't getting any pay. Yeah, good idea; waste your summer vacation working a boring job getting no pay. As I said, non-existent storyline.

So what is this movie in general? Well, it's a rip-off of the first. Nothing is different. It's the same lip-synced songs, the same moronic actors, the same stupid storyline, and the same rubbish as before.

This is one of those sequels that doesn't accomplish much if anything that its predecessor didn't manage to accomplish, and of course, it hasn't gotten any better than the first.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]