IMDb > "Burn Notice" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Burn Notice"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Burn Notice" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Excellent offering

Author: caa821 from Tulsa OK
28 June 2007

Jeffrey Donovan is an engaging lead in an interesting program - which combines an interesting dramatic story line with a good balance of lightness and humor -- much like the outstanding "Monk," also a USA Network production.

The premise has been well-publicized; he's a crack covert operator, who's now been ostracized by his agency, and is seeking to learn why, as well as exist amidst the barriers they've erected in terms of his credit and finances, availability of former colleagues, and while he is under surveillance from multiple agency operatives.

During the course of this program, he also assists a man whose former boss - a powerful citizen - has placed both his livelihood and son in jeopardy.

Again, done with both serious drama and whimsy, this is a show which is a breath of proverbial "fresh air," especially among the lame quiz programs and reality shows impossible to avoid today.

-------------------

I entered this comment a year ago, upon seeing initial episode of the series. In continuing to watch, I've found Jeffrey Donovan's performances and character to remain interesting and engaging, the remaining cast excellent, and the episodes, overall, also interesting and well-written. Along with "Monk" and the recently-added "In Plain Sight," the USA Network is producing, in my opinion, better fare than the four networks.

Spectacular

Author: Etrival from United States
6 July 2007

Last week Thursday was one of those days: The kind that gives you the choice of staring at the ceiling, or perusing your DVR in hopes of finding something worthwhile (but rarely finding anything).

After sifting through the various MythBusters episodes and my regularly recorded series', I came across something that had me utterly confused, "'Burn Notice'? The hell?" I hadn't heard anything about the show, so I thought, "Screw it, I'm bored, let's see if I can't squeeze some water from a stone." I can honestly say, I'm utterly impressed with the show. I was floored by the entire piece.

Jeffery Donovan leads a very talented cast as the 'burned' spy-turned-private-eye Michael Westen, a man just trying to figure out why someone would put a 'burn notice' out on him. (For those who haven't seen the show or the commercials a 'burn notice' is when a spy is cut off, no jobs, nothing.) Donovan's acerbic delivery and amusing narration pull the show together, and his on-screen chemistry with acting veteran Bruce Campbell really keep the laughs coming.

I'd highly recommend the show for those who like a mix of comedy and espionage.

This show rocks

Author: allykat_d from California
11 July 2007

By the end of the first show, the 1-1/2 hour premier, I was hooked. Donovan (remember him from The Pretender?) is charismatic and believable as the spy left out in the cold. I was pleasantly surprised to see Gabrielle Anwar. She starred in a friend's indie film and I wondered what happened to her. And Bruce Campbell.. well who doesn't like him? He adds good depth as Michael Western's grizzled friend. Great cast and sharp writing with Miami serving as a superb backdrop. This series has a load of potential so I'm hoping people will jump on board and start watching. I'm tempted to give it 10/10 as I didn't see anything that I didn't like. I'm looking forward to the new episode tomorrow (Thursday). This show is better than most movies coming out this summer. Great blend of action and humor.

One of the best

Author: godzillandg from United States
18 July 2007

When I first heard of the show I didn't know what to think. But then I heard that Bruce was apart of the show so I decided that the whole family should watch. And so we did. And now I crave to know what is going to happen next. The main plot of the show is intriguing but individual stories are just as good. There isn't a flaw in this show. And so far all the episodes are very re-watchable. Which is probably the best part of the show. This show can be enjoyed by most but children under ten won't get the humor and the content is just a little over their head. So if you have children note that they might enjoy the action parts they will get board with the rest of it. All I got to say is watch it and fall in love.

The best show I've seen in years

Author: rhendrickson from United States
9 July 2007

Without question, "Burn Notice" is the coolest show on TV since the first episodes of Alias. I was totally engaged the moment Michael got his burn notice when he called to make the wire transfer--seeing the wheels turn for that beat before smiling and turning to the Russian mobster was sublime. This show has edge and attitude to burn, no pun intended, and I hope it keeps it--the only thing that could dull it would be any hint of silliness (Bruce Campbell's character needs to demonstrate some ass-kicking spy mojo somewhere along the line). Matt Nix: You've done a fantastic job on the writing, great casting (Jeff Donovan is a "Where'd he come from?" find), locations, etc. Keep the edge. The first two shows were great, can't wait to see what's next.

Surprisingly good

Author: jpooch00 from United States
12 July 2007

Before bothering to watch this program, see the update at the bottom of this comment!

When I found out that Bruce Campbell was only in a supporting role I thought this was going to be just another USA ripoff. I was wrong.

In this incredibly overworked genre Burn Notice is something refreshingly new. The Mom and her meddling is an inventive twist that adds interest to the stories and the addition of all the beach bunnies running around in the backgrounds of many of the shots is shamelessly flagrant sexism at its finest. The story lines are interesting and the plot twists are acceptably resourceful.

In my opinion, Mr. Campbell should be the lead character but, hey, what do I know? Anyway, I intend to watch every episode. Got a season Pass on the Tivo.

Check it out, I think you'll like it.

Update: July 27, '13. So what's up with that idiotic narration of the scenes? Do they think their viewers are too stupid to interpret what they're seeing? USA has WAY too much coke going up the noses of it's producers or something! Most obnoxious idea they've ever had.

Biggest load of crap ever! I deleted the current episode about ten minutes in and removed Burn Notice from my season pass list. Great show turned to junk by idiots!

Second edit:

The hacks that thought scene narration was a good idea were either fired or locked up (apparently). Anyway, the final episodes (sans the narration), and the especially the final episode, kicked ass bigtime.

Very well done after all!

John

A cool show with lots of potential

Author: sixtwentysix from Denver, CO
8 July 2007

This show has stylish, cheaply made and lots of fun. Donovan has a lot of charisma but Bruce Campbell and the other supporting cast really make this show pop. Miami is great location for this show. In the future it would be cool to see it move around season to season. The show is smartly written and avoids most of the spy standards. It would be nice if they reduced the amount of voice over. It tends to distract from the suspense, but it's not driving me nuts or anything.

I'll keep watching to see where this show goes, I think it has a lot of potential and is a great, light, fun summer watch.

USA appears to have a winner on its hands with this new summer show!

USA one of the best....

Author: mdish77 from United States
8 July 2007

USA is the best there is right now for original new television shows. Burn Notice is my new favorite. To me the top TV series right now include Monk, Burn Notice and Psych, among the traditional network giants such as Criminal Minds, NCIS, The Unit, Numbers, the CSI's and Law and Orders. Maybe there is hope to get back to originality rather than the insipid "reality" series that perpetually rip each other off. In Burn Notice, the locations are fantastic, the characters original and engaging, the action both intense and amusing, and the whole thing moves so fast you can't wait until the next week. Thank God for DVRs, but for the first time I am recording the traditional shows and watching the USA series real-time!

Thrill Ride with a Twist

Author: jreinhardt-1 from United States
26 July 2007

This series is one of the best of the year. Michael Donovan is perfect as the Sparta## Ex-Spy turned good guy. I love watching him try to struggle through the emotions of his clients. His relationship with his mother is very strained however you can still see him struggle to not care about his family. Sharon Gless is fun to watch as his chain smoking meddling mother. She's hilarious. Bruce Campbell is a favorite of mine & fits in well with Anwar & Donovan. I'd like to see more from Anwar - I like the changes in accents & would like to see her do more. So far this show has been nothing but entertaining. Donovan can really keep your attention on his stories. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Dig it

Author: susan-683 from Philly
23 July 2007

Very fun, tho' the voice-overs are a bit much at times... and the music/slow-mo/stop-mo action stuff is a bit kitsch (probably the look they were going for).

Def. think Donovan's personality comes through in his performance -- seems like he is having TONS O' FUN with the part... (who wouldn't? It's a dream role)... but he DOES come across as a bit stiff at times... can't tell if that's the writing or his take on the character. Funny... you can hear his Boston accent come thru a lot... but it adds some charm (assuming you like Boston accents!!) Bruce Campbell is perfectly cast... will be fun to see their partnership evolve over the episodes... Not sure about Anwar as Fiona... can't decide if it's the role (and how desperate she seems to be to get back with Michael) or the actress in the role...

I do enjoy the dialog (VERY funny at times - ex: the backseat of the Mercedes)... and the speed of delivery... makes it fun to watch and the time fly... so KUDOS to the writers...

Will say this... I'm probably not in the demographic for their audience (am over 40) but can appreciate that the leads are all older... would NEVER believe that Donovan is 39. No way. He is Miami Spicy.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]