godfather, a novel for television

Author: vinceharris-1 (harris.vincent@yahoo.com) from United States Minor Outlying Islands
18 December 2007

I found this version extremely enjoyable. It ties the two movies together so smoothly and we also get to see what happens to characters whose fates were not determined in previous versions. For instance,one of Michael's body guards in Italy, who blew up his car, killing Appolonia.

When Michael goes back to the states, the Corleone's financial resources seek him out and find him and kill him.

There is also a great scene where the under taker, whom we saw in the original as just a humble, frustrated man who begs Don Corleone to kill the men who raped his daughter and got away with it, reveal himself to be just the opposite. He is a constant complainer and is horribly ungrateful. We never would have seen that in the uncut version.

To end, this edited for television version that combines parts 1 and 2 is such a joy to watch because of the superb story telling that weaves the two tales together masterfully.

The Best Version yet!

Author: Connie-Bunny from United States
1 November 2012

YES! I loved watching this version on TV several years ago. We got to see added footage of characters that we thought should have been taken care of like the body guard of Michael while he was in Italy. I always thought in the movie versions that should have been left in. My only complaint is I have hunted for it on VHS and DVD for years! I personally think it should be added to one's shelf. We have several versions of other movies. I bought the Godfather Trilogy blindly thinking it was this version and very upset when I discovered it wasn't. If I hadn't opened the package I could have gotten my money back.

Francis - Please consider this version. I know you'll make your money on it.

The Godfather: A Novel For Television Is The Greatest TV Mini-Series Ever Made

Author: Desertman84 from United States
19 October 2011

TV mini-series were a thing during the 1970's and the 1980's.The The Godfather: A Novel For Television are the first two Godfather films were re-edited together in chronological order with additional footage added and it was transformed into one long film. It stars Marlon Brando,Al Pacino,Robert Duvall and Robert DeNiro.

The TV mini-series tells the complete story of Don Vito Corleone and the story of Don Michael Corleone before and after his assumption of the role as the godfather. It was edited very well that it came a classic on its own.With that being said,I consider The Godfather: A Novel For Television as the Greatest TV mini-series ever shown on television.

A Travesty

Author: bob-717 (bob@delmark.com) from Chicago, USA
12 November 2007

This thing is just ridiculous; saw it on home video as my first Godfather experience and couldn't figure out why it was so plodding. Turns out it edits everything into chronological order, so you start with all the De Niro scenes from G-2, then see G-1 (minus some R-stuff but plus some deleted scenes), and then get the rest of G-2. The De Niro scenes, out of context, are just repetitive and make little sense. The one bonus was getting to see the deleteds back when such opportunities were rare. It's not quite BAD, because the underlying material is still beautiful, but it could easily lead one to go through life thinking The Godfater was No Big Deal because you'd endured or walked out on this.

There are films I'd be interested to to see a chronological cut of (Pulp Fiction, Memento). Godfather 2 is not one of them.