IMDb > Joshua (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Joshua

Joshua More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 9: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]

This movie kicks mighty arse!

Author: ComatoseMother from United States
22 January 2007

Just saw this at Sundance tonight, and I just have to say that this film is a thriller of great proportions. I don't think I had such a feeling of dread while watching a film since the first time I saw Psycho.

Great writing + Interesting directing = Good times.

This film is going to polarize people, but who cares. It's so taut and suspenseful, with the acting god Sam Rockwell rockin' the gifts that the mighty Apollo gave him from Zeus's hand, this is a must see film.

As one guy said during the Q&A: "This is the first time I've wanted to throw up watching a movie and it was good thing." I know I haven't said much about the film, but that's the idea. I want people to go in not knowing anything. I don't think I've had this much fun at a film like this since... forever.

An apparent superdad is surrounded by psychotic and really annoying family members.

Author: apiedi from United States
7 July 2007

In my life as a moviegoer I have actually managed to sit through such ridiculously bad pictures as say, Battlefield Earth, or Driven... Well, I walked out on Joshua and made it a point to both get my money back and write this comment. Never happened to me before. The people that made this film just managed to make me angry for the time I was in the theater (I did sit through at least one painful hour) and another good half hour after that. If you care to experience the same emotions I'd strongly recommend it. It's as if the director made it a point to build up artificially tense moments that never lead to anything. Nothing actually happens in this film. To me, it felt like a pretentious attempt at making an intellectual thriller. What's worse is that it's not bad because they made mistakes or because it is poorly executed, it's bad because of deliberate choices. What a waste of good talent...

Joshua, the not horror film

Author: spoiledrottenbrat02 from United States
19 January 2008

I thought when I got this movie that it was going to be a scary, heart-throbbing movie. The cover of the movie looked quite interesting, and the description on the back of the box made it sound like it was going to be really good. Wow!!!!! I was way off base. Here's a word of advise out there. If you are planning to spend money to see this movie, don't. It was probably one of the worst " horror" films ever. I think they ran out of money to make the movie after the beginning credits. The best part of the movie was when it was over.

You know how the beginning of the exorcist is really dumb and has no plot. Well this movie is like that; except it last for the duration of the movie. I mean really, there was no point at all to this movie. I kept waiting for the scary parts to happen or for the suspense to really kick in. I think that the movie was made by a robot because it seemed to be very mono tone. I can only hope that whoever made this so called movie that they have watched it a few times over and realized to never ever make another movie again. I know that most of you will probably still pick up the movie because it is only our nature to know for ourselves, but don't say that you were not warned. I just hope that whoever watches it has a lot of patience and imagination because you will definitely need it. Good luck.

Promising Premiere

Author: dhanson2k from Sundance
21 January 2007

Excellent work by George Ratliff steering a well-built ship from David Gilbert. Rockwell leads a highly talented cast, bringing new spontaneity to the everyman role, and he and Farmiga deliver riveting performances. Her depth of character allows us to feel every bit of the roller coaster of emotion that is post-partum depression, and the rest of the cast finely displays the confusion that results. Jacob Kogan is a fantastic discovery, and entertained the audience with his confident 10 year old wit during Q&A at the Sundance Premiere. He lent a surprising focus to the role of the "wierd" genius Joshua. The film should play well with theater audiences in wide release.

Terrible movie

Author: lumns from Northern VA
17 July 2007

I wanted to request my money back, but in the end all i had to blame was the rock, paper and scissors gods for not letting me win and seeing the new Bruce Willis movie.

Instead, i was tortured by this movie that made no apparent sense, throughout the entire movie was waiting for it to get interesting, it never did. The flow of the movie was jittery, parts later made sense, but the ending was uneventful. There was only one part of the movie that i enjoyed, and it wasn't suspenseful it was actually freaking hilarious.

I would like my money or even my time back....alas another crappy movie watched due to losing a rock, paper, scissors game

Worst crap EVER!!!!!!

Author: LazLaz from United States
9 July 2007

The ONLY thing of any value WHATSOEVER in any way associated with this film was the hour of uncontrollable laughter my date and I shared following this piece of stinkin' dog poop smeared onto the screen. Really, there were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many aspects of it that were SOOO god-awful, irrational, incongruous, illogical, unexplained, unfulfilled, moronic, incomplete ...... oh, I could go on ................. that we genuinely needed a full hour of mutual comedic decompression to exorcise the urge to vomit and/or cut our eyeballs out. I could cite at least a hundred specific examples but I'll just toss a couple down here and merely BEG you, dear reader to save your time and money. Again, the list of things wrong with this film spans the gamut from the broadest theme to the finest detail but a couple faves were the fact that the actress playing the lead character of Joshua's mother apparently wasn't available for all the days of shooting .... that's the only way I can explain how and why she simply disappears from the film a little past the halfway point and is never seen again, for no particular reason and with no explanation whatsoever. (FOR ANY DEFENDERS OF THIS PIECE OF CRAP: yes, she did go nuts but when we last saw her she was still, nonetheless, living in their home. But then she's just gone ..... perhaps the evil serpent mentioned in the random art gallery myth scene that doesn't have ANY other relevance to this film is to blame.) Then there's the ending ..... yes, I'm speaking of the ending where this inanely pathetic attempt at a suspense/thriller/horror movie turns on a dime and becomes a touching, gay, NAMBLA-inspired musical (not that there's anything wrong with that!) for the last 5 minutes before the editor mercifully hits the pause button, fades the freeze frame and rolls the credits. I have a fantasy that every person listed in those credits will show up en masse at the next Academy Awards and announce that they've decided to make a significant collective contribution to the film industry by retiring on the spot.

Page 9 of 9: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]