IMDb > Joshua (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 9: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Terrible

Author: Lauren G from United States
9 February 2008

This was probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It didn't even come to theaters anywhere near, so that is an idea of how bad it was. Extremely slow, doesn't get interesting or even have a point until about half way through. I literally fast forwarded through the entire thing. I was very disappointed. I expected this to be like the Omen, but it was nothing like it. I was very confused about the plot the entire time. The boy is sweet and innocent half of the movie. Him turning on his parents doesn't even make sense. It also had terrible acting. I would not recommend this to anyone, I felt like I had wasted an entire hour.

The best horror film of the decade.

Author: dead47548 from United States
25 January 2008

Quite possibly the greatest modern film of the decade, if you could classify it as such. It's got a few of the typical creepy-kid film clichés and some of the "really suspenseful but nothing happens in the end" scenes are a little annoying, but it really takes some of those scenes and makes something completely unpredictable and shocking happen. The technical aspects really blew me away. The use of color is astonishing and the haunting cinematography is some of the best of the year. The story is dangerously unnerving and had a lump in my gut throughout the entire duration. I can't remember a time where I've felt more uncomfortable watching a film, but couldn't manage to look away. There's a lot of care taken with these characters, unlike most films of the nature. You come to hate Joshua sure, but you can also completely sympathize with Brad and Abby outside of the fact that their child is the worst thing ever. Both of them are human characters with a lot of depth, which is pretty uncommon for films like this. And with that complexity comes two of the year's best performances in the form of the always ingenious Sam Rockwell and Vera Farmiga. They excel.

Looking for trouble? Settle for evil?

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
1 September 2008

Evil now has a new name...Joshua. Brad and Abby Cain(Sam Rockwell and Vera Farmiga)are an upper class New York couple living in a spacious apartment about the size of a small airport. Their beloved nine-year-old son Joshua(Jacob Kogan) is a gifted prodigy, and aspiring concert pianist. But Joshua is more than a little jealous of his new baby sister. This new arrival triggers a series of disparaging and unspeakable events within the household. Brad is under demanding stress at work and Abby is on the edge of an emotional breakdown; and Joshua has only just begun his agenda of tearing apart his family that is so close to the breaking point. Pulse pounding tension and crafted to keep you in suspense to the very end.

The young Kogan is stoic and sinister. Also in the cast: Celia Weston, Michael McKean, Linda Larkin and Dallas Roberts. Kudos to director/writer George Ratliff.

This is one of the worst "movies" ever made!!

Author: sammy_girl_78
8 January 2008

I don't understand the people that say this movie is good and Intelligent Horror Film ? I find it very ridiculous actually! There is no blood and gore in this movie .. and thank god for that, because this would have a very bad movie catastrophic! The thing i find most ridiculous in this is the story! I don't think there is anything wrong with the directors work at all but the story is weak and almost comically bad!

We are lead to believe that the boy fells no love or anything for his parents.... well hmmm why did he start acting all Damien-like when the new baby came ?? He felt betrayed and invisible, but most of all unloved! just look in the beginning of the movie when they all sit together and admire the baby they acted like the boy wasn't really there! the only one that acknowledge his presences in the room was his uncle!

And the way his parents talked about him... its appalling!!

The boy got even more messed up after watching the home-videos that his dad made of him and his mum when he was a baby ... they made it look like he was the spawn of Satan or something !! the mother was all f*cked up in that !!

And i think the acting in this was a little bit weak !! maybe if the actor that played Joshua have tried a bit harder it would have been a better movie !

The actress the is the mother is a very bad actress i think not believable at all!

The best actor in this movie is the actor that plays the dad ...just because he is the most believable and good actor.

I think if you wanna see a good movie about bad or evil kids just watch the omen or something like that ..... and stay well away from this movie because its not worth wasting your time on.

And if it was possible i would give this "movie" an even lower mark/point/grade.

Don't waste your money

Author: D S from United States
8 January 2008

Do not go waste your time and money on this movie. The story line was a good idea, but just not good enough. Horrible horrible movie. You will just want to kill that kid Joshua during the movie. The ending could have been much better!!!! I think if the ending were better, I would like it more. I just felt like I wanted to kill that stupid kid. Joshua was a good character though, but the parents should have known and should have done something about it. I know that is not the point to a movie, everyone is always dumb, otherwise these movies wouldn't exist. But, this was just horrible. The kid was so obvious. I don't really know what else to say, this is taking enough of my time up, just wanted to warn the rest of you before you waste your $$. I would say, only watch it if it is free and you are very bored and want to be left angry.

An anti-gay adaptation of a HELL HOUSE vignette?

Author: Bob Z from Brooklyn, NY
20 July 2007

JOSHUA is an effectively strange film, until it falls apart in the third act where it is offensively insinuated that the titular character is a young homosexual whose evil deeds have all been an effort to live an openly gay life with his gay uncle.

When I saw the director's previous effort was HELL HOUSE (a brilliant and creepy documentary), I began to wonder if this movie is simply an adaptation of a narrow minded evangelical cautionary tale on the evils of Godless parenting in the Big Apple.

We have Sam Blackwell playing the Wall-Street power-broker who has turned his back on a rural Born-Again upbringing to marry a "Big Fat Jew" (as Farmiga's character puts it.) The family lives in an opulent ROSEMARY'S BABY style uptown apartment with their 9 year old son, Joshua, who is fastidiously well-groomed, anal-retentive, and loves nothing more than tickling the ivories with his Broadway-loving gay uncle (who never appears in a scene without a martini.) Joshua even mentions to his Dad early in the film that he hates playing soccer -- and baseball too!

Rockwell's mother comes to help with the family's newest addition - a relentlessly screaming infant girl who drives Farmiga into a severe (at times melodramatic) postpartum depression. Of course, Mom-In-Law is born-again, and in the scope of HELL-HOUSE-like vignettes, is the family's last hope for redemption. After taking Joshua to church, Grandma announces that Joshua has accepted Christ into his evil life and is met with an anti-Christian tongue lashing that would have made Julia Surgarbaker proud.

After driving his mom to the brink of insanity, Joshua goes on to kill poor Grandma - and incites his father to beating him in public. This was Joshua's master plan as a young homosexual. In the final scene we see Joshua once again tickling the ivories with his gay uncle (and new guardian) saying , "We were always meant to be together." Joshua then sings a Castrati-pitched love song to his new dad.

The big question is why the writers choose to link Joshua's satanic tendencies (the spawn of a city-dwelling agnostic couple) with a thinly veiled coming out story? They have some hefty explaining to do on the DVD. This has gotta be booth #42 in the HELL HOUSE hay ride, right?

Meanwhile, I'd like to propose the sequel to this film: A musical comedy set 6 years in the future where happy and well adjusted Joshua and sister are living a life of wacky antics with their gay uncle. Josh struggles to balance the demands of his first boyfriend while preparing to audition for the lead role in the revival of SPRING AWAKENING.

another low from USA

Author: woytan from Australia
3 May 2008

So it is like this: 2006 sees "VITUS" from Switzland rubbing close with Oscar (which i don't think it should) but of course; "we can't be behind" or "we do better" and we have (USA) made movie "JOSHUA". Right..... Is this true that an American audience's intellectual status is no longer where it was years back and now-a-days it can swallow just about any rubbish with joy? Compare the two movies and although there is by no means suggestion that "VITUS" is a perfect movie....I can not get over surprise that this sweet, candy rubbish (Joshua)can still sell. Well, It seems it can. It is actually a suicidal mission for any director to take up on a movie with children as actors.... I have not seen yet a child playing as the child is in real life. The statutory trick is to make the kid as silent as possible and smear him/her with all sorts of camera close ups... the trick is to pick up a face "suitable" for the movie theme....and the money just pours to the office box........It is that easy! :-)

Only intelligent people should watch this ONE

Author: mindcat from South Carolina
18 June 2008

At first this film was so subtle I thought I knew where it was going. There is little reason for the less than 130 IQ viewer to watch this flick because you will not like it at all.

This is a story about yuppie and bitchy parents who are confused and out witted by a genius son, who although weird, knows exactly how to get what he wants.

There is some blood, maybe some murders and maybe some dead animals along the way. That's the diversion.

I could not like Joshua's father with all his garden variety and shallow ways he related with his genius son. The clues were, he never called the boy by his real name, Joshua. Always, sport, buddy, partner.. Joshua knows he really isn't with the parents he wants, the ones that he believes could give him what he wants. So, slowly the pot boils with subtle incident after incident.

I think the moral here to the yuppies, is notice your child and provide what he wants.

By the way the Mom is said Jewish and dad Christian, she becomes so enraged when Joshua says he wants Jesus. Yet, inconsistent, since they also say, it would have been Joshua's choice.

Lots of very nice acting here and excellent performances. This is scary in an intellectual and ironic sense. That's why the people who gave it poor ratings, have IQs on par.

I enjoyed it and would watch it gain.

total waste of your life worst movie ever

Author: nosferato from United Kingdom
30 December 2007

well for me to go out of my way to comment on this movie should tell you something about it. i can only comment about the first 33 minutes as it was a choice of kicking the TV to death or turning the movie off. it was the worst movie i have seen in a long time, the music made me want to stick i hot poker in my ears, and the kid.. Jesus Christ i could of slapped the little pr*@k.there was nothing and i mean nothing to keep me watching the wife .. what a total bi@*h. if you have to waste some of your time i would suggest you buy a dog and take it out of a walk or failing that take a long bath .. you'll feel better for it i promise you .

This movie kicks mighty arse!

Author: Jonathan Martin from United States
22 January 2007

Just saw this at Sundance tonight, and I just have to say that this film is a thriller of great proportions. I don't think I had such a feeling of dread while watching a film since the first time I saw Psycho.

Great writing + Interesting directing = Good times.

This film is going to polarize people, but who cares. It's so taut and suspenseful, with the acting god Sam Rockwell rockin' the gifts that the mighty Apollo gave him from Zeus's hand, this is a must see film.

As one guy said during the Q&A: "This is the first time I've wanted to throw up watching a movie and it was good thing." I know I haven't said much about the film, but that's the idea. I want people to go in not knowing anything. I don't think I've had this much fun at a film like this since... forever.

Page 8 of 9: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]