IMDb > Joshua (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Joshua More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Interesting and well made, but didn't quite deliver

Author: Raymond from Finland
29 August 2013

Watched this from the telly without any prior knowledge. Looked interesting in the trailer and i had never heard of it. Rockwell and Farmiga are quite capable actors, so why not.

The movie was being marketed as a horror movie, the week before they showed 28 Weeks Later, so I was expecting something a bit more horrorish, but this turned out to be more of a psychological thriller and drama. Which isn't a bad thing tho, but for some reason I got the impression from the ads that this was kind of a modern Damien thing. Not really.

Root down, this movie could've been a study of how kids act when the family gets another baby. Joshua here becomes a big brother and they have many scenes where they clearly show that the new baby gets more attention than Joshua. On the otherhand Joshua is said to have been a "difficult" one from the beginning. There is also a hint that there is some mental illness in the family as the mother played by Vera Farmiga has mental issues.

The mental illness part and becoming a bigger brother would've been enough for me, but they also clearly show that Joshua is getting quite a free upbringing as they let him go by his own in a big city. I'm quite sure this is an intentional choice as they discuss it at one point. Then there is this idea that Joshuas dad (Sam Rockwell) maybe wants Joshua to be a bit different. The dad is clearly a "buddy" kind of man. Even tho he's obviously smart and well educated - working in finance - he likes sports and most likely listens to some kind of pop/rock on his iPod and jams along. Joshua on the otherhand is booksmart, not interested in sports and so on..

Oh, and then there's even an overly religious grand mother, which adds the religion factor you have come to expect in a movie like this, but which in my opinion wasn't needed at all.

During the movie, Joshua is shown to do all kinds of weird things making his parents crazy and you're not really sure if he's the devil himself incarnated or just a messed up kid. Or just a different kind of kid pushing his boundaries.

I'm gonna give the ending away, so stop reading now if you don't want to know it. In the end it seems as if Joshua played the whole thing to be able to be with his uncle who is a bit like Joshua - not necessarily like the others in society. So in the end it seems as if Joshua was the smart one, just not getting along with his parents at all. Sort of a mismatch of parents and their child.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this movie, since it had so many things going on. Clues, explanations, hints of supernatural stuff, religion, mental illness.. none of them really paying off.

It's not The Omen, not The Exorcist, not Rosemary's Baby.. for sure. It was an interesting take on "a child genius", dressed up as a thriller, even a bit horrorish at times. It's rather good, but don't expect it to be a full blown horror movie.

OK, but no one will ever love "Joshua"

Author: Maz Murdoch (asda-man) from United Kingdom
26 August 2011

You don't have to be a genius to work out that the plot doesn't sound too dissimilar to "The Omen" or "Orphan", it even has Vera Farmiga playing the mother again for gods sake! But, "Joshua" is no where near as great as "The Omen" or "Orphan". Don't get me wrong, it isn't the worst film I've seen in my life and it does have terrific strengths, but also weaknesses that drag the film down quite a bit.

"Joshua" has its own style, it's much more subtle than "Orphan", in "Orphan" we see Esther kill countless people so it's really in your face that she's evil. The twist isn't subtle either. But "Joshua" doesn't make it clear if it's his wrong doing or not. So "Joshua" sets out to be more classy than "Orphan" but also no where near as fun or entertaining. I did like how it was subtle and a bit of a slow-burner but sometimes the pacing got a bit too slow and at times boring, but always engaging.

The most impressive thing about "Joshua" is it's atmosphere. It builds up a really tense and uncomfortable atmosphere. It's beautifully bleak and awkward in a good way, not awkward in a bad way like "The Idiots". The boy who plays Joshua is also quite creepy. The unresolved ending also adds to the films creepyness.

So if you want a quietly grim and creepy drama with splashes of horror and intellect. "Joshua" is for you. But, I prefer the fun and weirdness of "Orphan".

Unoriginal Idea Executed Averagely

Author: PhantomAgony from United States
24 January 2010

I did not enjoy the film, Joshua, at all. Perhaps it is because I saw another, much better similar film titled Orphan 2 days prior but perhaps it's really just because this film was not very good. I am going with the ladder. Sure, the plot of an evil child is not exactly original but that doesn't mean the film could not succeed. It could have been suspenseful and entertaining and chilling but instead it was slow building, boring, uneventful and really didn't leave me thinking anything more than 'that wasn't very good' when it was all over.

At the end, Joshua's motivations are revealed. I won't give that away but the reality is that he didn't really accomplish his goals since despite Vera Farmiga as his mother, Abby, disappearing about 3/4th through the movie, all arrows point to her returning home soon. She was committed to a mental institution because she was losing her mind but then Joshua's Father/Her husband was accused of tampering with her medication which tells the audience that the institution realized that she was indeed not mentally ill but rather was being dosed medically. So.. shouldn't she be coming home soon? Won't Joshua have failed? Won't his Mother be living with him and his sister and possibly his Father soon? I question the Father since his future is left open ended.

At the end of the day, I didn't care about the characters. The evil demon child Joshua wasn't really scary. The storyline moved slowly and when it picked up it was still boring. Suspense fell flat every single time. When it was over I couldn't believe I had sat through the whole thing.

4/10 just because the acting was good from the parents especially Vera Farmiga as the Mother but if you want to see a movie about an evil 'child' go see Orphan. Now that's a movie that took an unoriginal concept and created a brilliant movie.

Problem Child

Author: JoeytheBrit from
7 November 2009

With very little foreknowledge, I tuned into this movie expecting some kind of kid-possessed-by demon Exorcist/Damien rip-off, but although the film tells of a kid from hell there is no supernatural element to it. I was initially quite surprised by how well-written the screenplay was, although the plot loses some of its impetus half-way through as the writer is forced to create progressively unlikely incidents in order to build upon the tension he has already created.

Joshua is a strange boy, bordering on genius, who likes nothing more than pulling the stuffing from his toy panda's nose in emulation of the Ancient Egyptian's method of preparing dead bodies for embalming. He's also pretty good at copying Dad's grief when he mourns over the dead body of the old family dog (who Joshua may or may not have offed while walking in the park). Joshua knows he's weird, and you sense he's frightened that his parents don't love him – or at least won't love him as much now that a baby sister has arrived in the scene. Sneaking a peek at videos of his constant wailing as a baby also does nothing for his frame of mind, and it's not long before he's sneaking in to little sis's room to make her cry the way he used to.

All these scenes are intelligently scripted and handled – as is Joshua's unique piano recital – fooling you into believing you're in for something really special but, while the film is still impressive (and far better than much of the stuff coming out of Hollywood these days), the plot developments become increasingly predictable, while the aim of Joshua's quiet campaign of terror on his parents is something of a mystery initially, and a little far-fetched when revealed in the final scene (which, naturally, leaves the way open for a sequel).

Depressing, strange, and answers no questions

Author: chevrette from United States
5 October 2008

This movie is very mediocre.

The park beating scene was my favorite. I spent all movie wanting to hit this kid. I only wish he would've gotten beaten to death. That would've been a better ending than the one they chose.

I think the kid had a homosexual urge for his uncle. That is twisted. I only wish they would have clarified the uncle's role a bit. And perhaps picked a better actor in that role.

McKean's small part was pretty solid.

This is not something I would ever watch again, but I didn't want to clamor for my 2 hours back. However, you would think that in 2 hours they would not raise so many questions that leave you hanging.

The Mini-Me Anti-Christ

Author: thesar-2 from United States
8 July 2009

Though not a fan of Sam Rockwell, I was surprised when I saw his name in the credits in the opening of 'Joshua.' Heck, I wasn't even aware he was in 'Joshua' until I started the movie. So it goes without saying, I was watching the movie on the basis of the movie, not the leads. A sort of 'Rosemary's Baby,' 'The Omen' or any other demonic kid movie 'Joshua' was billed. Unfortunately, it fell flat. Slow, incredibly slow, and flat. Yet, I continued on to see how this would all resolve, hoping beyond belief, the ending climax would shed some light on the subject. Okay, I admit, it did (a wee bit) but what a stale closing. And what a low-low budget movie, or at least that's how they designed it. A person falls – you don't see the drop, you see someone lying down in what appears to be blood. A person gets hit by a cab – you don't see it, you see someone complaining, holding a bike up. I'm not sure if this is called "style" or laziness or simply, lack of funds for special effects. We have a "rich" family with a crazy mom, a workaholic father attempting to balance everything, a kid – Joshua, who may/may not be the antichrist and a new born baby girl who cries a lot. She cries as much as we see how many days she's alive – and what was that about? Are there rats above or is it Joshua? Is his mother nuts? Is Joshua crazy? Is he merely jealous of the newcomer to the family? Is he going to grow up to be Michael Myers? Or does he drive his family to the brink? I don't think so. They were nuts prior, and no "so-called" acting could make me believe otherwise. Unfortunately, barely any questions were answered, barely any open doors shut. I'm sure that might have been the idea, but for Pete's sake, give me something. Anything. There are plenty better kid-gone-wild movies to explore. Joshua's more like the Mini-Me of the antichrist.

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
21 February 2014

The Devil's Child (2007)

Very slow movie, not much action in the movies, most of the action is actually off screen, You find hard to connect with anyone in this movie.

The movie was far to long for me, Kind of drag in some parts, Found first half kind of annoying, With Josh playing the piano and the new born baby crying no-stop, got boring,

Mum will starting to losing as she getting fed up of the new born baby, Odd small things happen, that Josh is doing, who is very creepy in every seen he is in.

I didn't like the how movie ended at all, the movie stay on one level for all movie, never really pick up!

5 out of 10 Disappoint

Great movie, but I think Joshua was misunderstood.

Author: horror2 from United States
22 June 2011

First of all, I just wanted to say that this movie was terrific. I am a fan of movies about evil children and so I knew what to expect, seeing similar movies such as "The Bad Seed" and "Children of the Corn" beforehand. I was greatly pleased when I watched this film. The main thing I liked, besides the wonderful story, was the extremely well-written characters. Character development is one of the most important things I feel any movie could have because if you don't care about the characters, you aren't going to care what happens to them so what good is watching a movie if you don't care about the characters? This movie did a wonderful job with writing the characters because I did care about them. Especially Joshua who was brilliantly portrayed by Jacob Kogan. He was perfectly cast in the role of Joshua who I think was misunderstood, and let me explain why:

This film seems to try to portray Joshua as sinister, manipulative and evil and I don't think Joshua was evil at all, I just think he thought differently than other children and had habits and characteristics that were unusual compared to everyone else. He felt unloved by his parents and felt that they weren't giving him enough affection because of his new baby sister so he acted out and started doing these crazy things like collapsing on stage during the piano recital in an effort to gain their attention. In the scene where he tells the baby "no one will ever love you," I felt sorry for him because it shows that he feels unloved and unwanted by his parents so he blames the baby for it. The parents were too busy paying attention to the new baby that at times it seemed like they forgot they even had a son, so this carried on to the point where Joshua seemed to dislike his parents and wanted to be taken away from them, which is evident in the scene with the psychiatrist. I feel that he knew he would be taken away if he drew pictures filled with blood or violence and he wanted that to happen. He and his uncle had a strongbond and he felt he belonged with his uncle rather than his parents. As for the killing of the dog and his grandmother, we never actually see him kill them on screen so they could just be coincidental accidents. I like Joshua and feel that his character was similar to me in many ways including his interest in mummies and Ancient Egyptian culture, which were something I was greatly interested in when I was younger.

Also, the ending of the film was the best part in my opinion. It made me almost cry both times I watched it, so you'd better have a tissue when you watch it. Overall, this film was a great movie with a wonderful story, well written characters, great acting, tons of suspense and great acting. If you haven't seen this movie, see it as soon as possible and try to see the character of Joshua from a different point-of-view than a homicidal maniac.

Well, What Can You Possibly Say To This?

Author: Sophie0796 from United Kingdom
16 March 2010

Well I wouldn't say this is the most thrilling film to ever be seen, nor the most horrific of horrors, but the certain cold chill that frames the whole unwinding story makes it truly intriguing. Joshua, the nine year old perfect son, that every parent could wish for passes through at the start of this film. He's a smart, obedient, piano playing, but somehow odd child. The family is happy, and well together. Once the newborn Lily arrives, you see from Joshua how much he resents her, but in some way he shows love to her. What made the first scenes right till the end very chilling and unpredictable, was the lack of speech from Jousha. This in my opinion made the movie much better. Once we begin to see how different this child is, due to what we never really understand. At school he exceeds in excellence, he plays the piano with such perfection. And as we gather he is a dark spirited child, portrayed by the other characters speech. Josha plays dark, death signing songs on the piano, noticed by the mother in law. He does not share a close proximity of a relationship with his father, and his mother never sees the interest. Their the kind of family that from a picture looks perfect, but when seen in action their flaws unwind. As the story unravels, we are lead to believe that the death of Innocent animals is due to Joshua, and the constant crying from baby Lily steers the poor mother to insanity, the father is left to leave his job and take the care. A few exceptionally chilling scenes for me and well thought out, from such a devious little boy, were the glass scene and the pram scene. When the glass breaks in the kitchen, Josha moves back, as knowing his mother will reach for him, she treads forward and of course as established on to glass, cutting a deep serge into her foot, which is the next step of her breakdown. However, we cannot say whether the child here is all to blame. One thing that really disturbed me, was when she began to smear blood up her legs and talk about her "sexy red boots" that to me really gave you that feeling that she was maybe even more "Mucked Up" that him, hence her illness. The pram scene was dramatic and we all knew what was coming, but i do believe that Joshua never intended to hurt Lily, he didn't exactly hurry to push her down a flight of stairs, he merely strolled outside and he knew that the mother in law was running behind, and of course i do think he knew the father was watching. I think that this was his intentional plan, to have the people watch, until he finally targeted the opinionated mother in law, and she is next into the coffin. What seemed obscene to me, was how little feeling the characters showed, when his mother was pushed (or so we assume) the father, did not show any emotion he merely clung to Lily and although we could see his hurt he did no show any signs of anger. However once with Joshua i saw the true side of his father that Joshua had been waiting to release. "I know what your doing Joshua, Im on to you," to me really made it seem as though they were battling men, not a nine year old son with his mental driving father. Over the film so many varied thrills happen, some leading to nothing and others leading to tragic breakdowns. The abuse scene with Joshua and his father really shocked me, i saw his fathers anger but he really went for it, with Joshua's evil mimics, shown several times over the film (e.g. when the dog died, he mimicked his fathers sadness) and when he was climbing and he repeated his father, he knew just how to push his buttons. Once the father had lost his temper what really gave it that final blow for me was the small sly smile that formed on Joshua's lips, he seemed happy, he had finally managed to make his family fall apart, and his father to reveal everything. This was a very well thought film, with similar story lines of older films, however this one had s more certain chill, less horror and more, dark edge. The final points to assume, were the way that Lily was never harmed, she in the viewers eyes was the reason for Joshua's dislike, however he never hurt her, or harmed her. Also the relationship with his uncle was mysterious and odd, he loved his uncle a lot more that he you saw with his parents, they shared a bond for music, both piano genius', whereas his dad was a pop music headphone listening kinda guy. At the end when Joshua sung a song as he and his uncle played a song, he said "this feels right doesn't it? how it should have been?" you get the feeling hes referring to it should be him as his father. As earlier he stated when his was in room to his dad, "do you ever feel weird about me?" we sense that Joshua did towards him, but never towards his uncle. A dark bond i never assumed to happen, but a very wicked ending with everything out of place.

Overall a good film, watch if your mature enough to understand the true depth of this film, and see Joshua as he begins to dismantle his family.

has some similarities to Orphan,but i found it lacked the same intensity

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
14 March 2010

i had never even heard of this film until after i had seen Orphan.some of the reviews for that film and the message board had recommended this film.some had suggested it was a superior i decided to give it a shot.i'm not sure i would call it a superior has some similarities to Orphan for sure.however,i found it much more deliberately paced than Orphan was.Vera Farmiga(who played the Mother in Orphan)plays the Mother here and is a revelation.and Sam Rockwell is very good as the father slowly unravelling at the seams.Joshua(Jacob Kogan)is certainly an evil seed,there's no doubt about that.but i just didn't quite feel the same intensity as i did with Orphan.don't get me wrong.this is still a good movie.for me,Joshua is an 7/10

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]