IMDb > Dead in 3 Days (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
In 3 Tagen bist du tot

Dead in 3 Days More at IMDbPro »In 3 Tagen bist du tot (original title)

Surprisingly thrilling and entertaining

Author: shakesbeer from Austria
22 September 2006

As mentioned before this movie probably is the first one of its kind to be made in Austria by Austrians artists only. Austria's good times in the movie industry have long been gone and modern Austrian filmmakers concentrate mainly on producing artistic stuff that relies heavily on the actors (mostly due to funding problems). So this film is quite different from what is coming from Austria nowadays but it's not so different from what is coming from Hollywood. That's a new approach and that's OK. In my opinion the movie is better than the average Scary Movie flick. The story is quite straightforward, the ending is adept though not too surprising. The gory scenes come at the times you expect them to come. Sometimes you know what is going to happen before but that's what we call suspense and if it was good enough for Hitchcock it's good enough for everyone. And it works here too! The movie doesn't stay on a high level of tension all the time. It speeds up then slows down then speeds up again several times. Nice flow. The director does a really good job and I especially appreciated the cinematography. Some really nice pictures, good camera positioning. The cutting was good too and makes the movie look more expensive and professional than it was.

The young actors are mostly unknown but mostly talented and add to the overall positive impression the film made on me.

I enjoyed watching the film although it's not a perfect piece of work (therefore my score of 7/10) but judge for yourself. Let's hope there will be more to see from the people who made this movie. I think there is still a lot of potential to explore.

Excellent by Austrian standards, still not half bad in comparison to international horror flicks

Author: Superunknovvn from Austria, Vienna
19 August 2007

I was more than just a bit skeptical when it came to watching "In 3 Tagen bist du tot". The plot seemed pretty stupid and I wasn't convinced that the makers would be able to pull off something like that in a typical Austrian village setting. I was right about the first thing, but director Andreas Prochaska really did a nice job translating the essence of movies like "I Know What You Did Last Summer" into the Austrian landscape.

Sure, "In 3 Tagen bist du tot" suffers from the usual slasher weaknesses, but for once this is actually a good thing. It means that this movie is on one level with the international competition. The acting may not be Oscar material, but it could have been way more awful. What hurt the movie more is that it's pretty slow at times and although there are one or two scenes that will make you jump, there are too few of those shocking or scary moments. On the plus side, Prochaska makes great usage of that small town creepiness by setting some moody scenes on a lake or in an old, creaking house. There's also quite a bit of gore, which is never a bad thing in a slasher movie.

The movie's one big flaw, however, is the derivative plot. There is absolutely nothing new here story-wise. Imagine "Friday The 13th" with just a few "The Ring"-elements and you got "In 3 Tagen bist du tot". It's as if the producers focused more on making their version of the movies that attracted so many ticket buyers in the late 80's rather than actually trying to come up with something original. They were impressively successful in that aspect, but the next step should be to bring forward new ideas. Apparently, Austria is able to make good horror movies. Now it's time to go for a GREAT one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Despite the script's many flaws, the film contains a good deal of top class scares

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
24 October 2006

In 3 Tagen Bist Du Tot (Dead in Three Days) is labeled "Austria's first horror film". A quite passable one, I might add. It probably won't become a milestone within the genre, but if you're looking for real suspense and gore, this movie has plenty to offer.

Like many others, the film features a group of teenagers, more precisely two boys and two girls who have just graduated high school. While they're out celebrating, they all receive the same SMS: "Within 3 days you will be dead". It has to be a (very) bad joke, they think. Until one of them is found dead in the river the following morning...

I was positively surprised by this movie, mainly because the director, Andreas Prochaska (a former collaborator of Michael Haneke) knows how to terrify his audience even if the plot is all too familiar: 75% of the screenplay is shamelessly borrowed from other horror films, some blatantly (I Know What You Did Last Summer, Deep Red), others in a more subtle way (Halloween). There's also stuff from other kinds of flicks (a possible visual The Empire Strikes Back-reference).

Prochaska does, however, count on the surprise factor as well: not all in the script is a deja vu, and he takes advantage of those moments when we don't know what's gonna happen next to scare us witless, with almost sadistic joy (in terms of how off guard we're caught). People get hurt or killed in painful, stomach-churning ways (I had trouble sleeping for a few days after seeing the movie), and some victims are unexpected, too. This guy knows how to do horror, that's for sure. If only he'd been a little nastier with the ending, like Greg McClean did on Wolf Creek.

Overall, this is a decent horror film. Prochaska seems to have found a promising start for his directing career. If he takes better care of the script next time, he might even be able to join the likes of Carpenter and Romero in the genre's Hall of Fame.

Horror starts in Austria

Author: hasosch from United States
7 October 2009

"In Drei Tagen Bist Du Tot" (2006) is an excellent slasher movie from Austria, a land that has, since the silent time, proved to deliver constantly world-class movies like no other German speaking land did. To whoever does not believe that, I highly recommend the "Hoanzl" collection with several hundreds of region-free available DVDs amongst which you will even find early Mihaly Kertesz = Michael Curtiz movies amongst other classics about which the non-European audience can just dream.

"In Drei Tagen Bist Du Tot" is remarkable in many respects: First, it is the first Austrian slasher movie. Second, practically all actors have never acted before. Third, the budged was 2 millions of Euros for which in Hollywood one would not even take a camera out of its closet. Third, the whole movie is spoken in Salzkammer dialect and, as usual in Europe, filmed In Loco. (On the contrary, in Hollywood movies it is usual nowadays that the beginning is filmed in Utah, the main part in Rumania, and the end in Canada.) In 2007, "In Drei Tagen Bist Du Tot" got amazingly the Austrian film price, the now so-called "Austrian Ticket" which was given before, in 1996, to Vilsmaier's "Schlafes Bruder". I also welcome this movie because Horror has a very small tradition in European film-making. While the Swiss film De Facto died with Kurt Früh in 1979 and the German film with Fassbinder in 1982, our whole hope stays with Austria.

Shades of Old Canadian 80s slashers

Author: mattbrat from Canada
11 April 2009

I couldn't help be reminded of my home country of Canada as I watched this solid teen thriller. My home and native land was responsible (thanks in part to American execs with money to invest in tax shelters) for some of the most memorable slashers to come out of the 80s (and the 70s with Black Christmas). Happy Birthday To Me, Prom Night, Terror Train, My Bloody Valentine just to name a few. Another poster mentioned that this film couldn't be compared to the best 80s slasher flicks because the pacing was too slow and spent too much time on characterization... um... have you seen 80s slashers? With the exception of crappy Friday the 13th movies, the best 80s slashers made you care about the victims in peril, and for the most part, the actors playing the teenagers could actually act (probably because they were all 30 playing 18). This movie was huge surprise and I couldn't have cared less that the blood and gore was at a minimum-the fish tank scene was all anyone needs for gore content! I don't see the comparisons to I Know What You Did Last Whatever... unless you count the drinking and driving and running over something, but it was a deer, not a fisherman, and Bambi's family didn't come after the teens. Every great slasher flick usually utilizes the same formula, someone is killing them one by one for sins of the past. I think this is the first one that actually doesn't reveal the sin until the very end which I thought was quite effective. I loved the interactions the teens had with their parents as well, something not often seen. I also enjoyed not knowing who or when someone would die, all the members of the clique had their moments in the spotlight and a FINAL GIRL or GUY could have been any of them. And not to give any SPOILERS away... but the actor behind the killings..... WOW!!!! I had every conviction that the killer's identity was completely plausible. Do yourself a huge favor, if you enjoy the slasher genre for characters, suspense, a good mystery, and terrific atmosphere, then rent 3 Days Dead! Take it from a hardcore slasher fan!

Do you know any reason why someone wan't to kill you?

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
27 February 2009

**SPOILERS** Not all that bad slasher movie from Austria that has the added attraction of the breath taking photography in and around the little town of Ebensee and Lake Traunsee where most of the action in the movie takes place.

The horror starts just after a number of friends graduated from high school and are about to go on their long awaited summer vacation. Getting a text message on their cell-phones telling them that they have only three days to live looked like a sick joke at first. It's when Martin, Laurence Rupp, disappeared from a local disco where he and his friends including his girlfriend Nina, Sabrina Reiter,were dancing the night away that the sick joke became a stark reality.

Going to see the police Nina is told by the top, and what looks like only, cop in Ebensee Kogler (Andreas Kiendl), who just happens to be Martin's brother, that he probably got himself drunk and shacked up with a girl he met at the disco. As it later turned out Martin was knocked unconscious, when he was in the disco's mens room, and dumped in the middle of Lake Traunsee where he ended up drowning with a concrete weight attached to his legs!

This was repeated later in the movie when Nina was also knocked out cold, from behind, and was about to share the same fate that her boyfriend Martain did. A blooded and battered Nina ended up escaping with the help of fellow student and #1 suspect in Martin's murder Patrick, Julian Sharp, who ended up taking her place: In being murdered by Nina's hooded assailant. It was during her confrontation with her would be killer that Nina got a good look at him and realized who he was. And with that Nina also came to realize why he was so determined to murder her and her friends and at the same time have Lake Traunsee become their final resting place and watery grave!

Unlike most US slasher movies "Dead in 3 Days" refrains from having the teenagers in it look and act as if their totally unaware of why their being targeted by their unseen killer. In fact it was Nina, not the local police, who soon realized why she and her friends were being stalked and hunted down. This was all about something that happened some ten years ago on of all places a frozen Lake Traunsee.

The movie also kept the blood letting, so important in US slasher film, to a minimum. In the one scene that the movie did resembled US slasher movies-in the savage attack on Alex played by Nadia Vogel-it was as horrific, if not more so, then any you would see in movies like "Halloween" or "Friday the 13th" and any of its some dozen sequels.

***SPOILERS*** The surprise ending of "Dead in 3 Days" was in fact a lot like the ending in the original "Friday the 13th". As it soon turned out the killer was totally unknown to those of us watching the movie until he, or she, made his first appearance at the very end of the film!

I Know What You Did In Traunsee

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
8 December 2007

In Ebensse, the teenagers Nina (Sabrina Reiter), her boyfriend Martin (Laurence Rupp), Clemens (Michael Steinocher), his girlfriend Alex (Nadja Vogel) and Mona (Julia Rosa Stöckl) are best friends since their childhood. On their high-school graduation day, they all receive the same message in the cellular: "In three days you will be dead!", but they believe is a stupid joke from their weird schoolmate Patrick (Julian Sharp). However, when Martin is found dead in the lake Traunsee, the group realizes that it is not a prank. When Nina is attacked and Patrick is killed trying to save her, they recall a tragic incident from their childhood.

"In 3 Tagen Bist Du Tot" has a tense and promising beginning. The acting of the young and unknown cast is good, but unfortunately the story is weak, actually a rip-off of the franchise "I Know What You did Last Summer" and using the clichés of the genre. In the end, this flick is watchable and forgettable, but entertains. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Morto em 3 Dias" ("Dead in 3 Days")

Decent teen horror flick

Author: TdSmth5 from US
8 September 2012

5 friends just pass some grueling oral examination and graduate. At a party they all get the same SMS telling them that in 3 days they will be dead. And sure enough one of them is attacked and disappears. Two of the girls find him the next day drowned in the lake.

Another of the girls is later attacked, kidnapped, but with the help of another schoolmate who would like to join their clique she manages to escape. The schoolmate isn't that lucky. But at least she was able to see the face of the killer.

The police make a sketch and identify the killer she saw. It's someone who's been long dead. But the girl remembers something else. He's the father of a boy the kids new as children.

When 2 more kids are attacked finally the police tries to protect them. But they decide to go and investigate the house of the dead man where they find all sorts of secrets. In the end they confront the killer and the reasons are revealed.

Dead in 3 Days is a pretty decent Austrian horror movie. The kids are likable enough even though neither they nor the police act particularly rational given the circumstances. There is some good gore and it features the best use of a fish tank in a horror movie. Direction is good but there are some weaknesses as well- too many extreme closeups, the action is also filmed too close up that makes it hard to identify what is going on. Sounds effects are good but too loud.

Overall, an OK horror movie in a different setting and with an attractive and likable cast.

I Know What You Did Last Austrian Summer!

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
14 April 2007

Ah, Austria ... Unquestionably one of the most beautiful countries in the world and the cinematic home of the famous "Sissi"-movies, millions of vintage Tiroler sex comedies and probably a handful of thankfully obscure yodel musicals as well. And thanks to director Andreas Prochaska, Austria now also has its very own teen-slasher-movie! Prochaska clearly was fed up with the enchanting postcard-image reputation of his home country and uses the exact same picturesque lakes and flowery decorated mountain hotels as the hunting territory of a demented serial killer. "Dead in Three Days" blends together the prior-warning idea of "The Ring" with the more traditional and old-fashioned maniacal tendencies of "I Know What You Did Last Summer" and the wholesome results in an overall competent, albeit unmemorable new horror film. On their long-awaited day of university graduation, five close friends all receive the same text message on their mobile phones. In three days you'll be dead, which naturally sounds like a lame college prank. Of course, it isn't a joke and the teenagers quickly find themselves pursued by a killer who has an old score to settle with the clique. "Dead in Three Days" is too slow-paced to really compete with the vintage slashers of the 80's and the script spends too much time on the detailed character drawings. The plot as well as the killer's outfit is too derivative of many existing slashers – especially the aforementioned IKWYDLS – and there nearly isn't enough tension and/or spectacle. The gore-factor and killing scenes are unmemorable, with the exception of one awesomely grim decapitation sequence! "Dead in Three Days" is okay entertainment for avid slasher-fans to pass the time but, of course, if it wouldn't be for the fact that Austria has few or even no history in the genre of horror, this mundane teenkill-film would barely even make it to DVD.

(bad) American teen slasher rip-off

Author: Sam (webmaster@skinheadnation.ch) from Switzerland
1 July 2017

This Austrian made slasher is nothing more than a rip-off of popular American slasher movies, like "Friday the 13th" or "I know what you did last summer" (this one was clearly a example for this one here). And like "I know what.." it's pretty bad and not really worth a watch, well, maybe if you wanna see how Austrians do it, go for it. For me the only thing really worth mentioning is the landscape, which looks really nice, it's set in a beautiful Austrian village surrounded by mountains, and the FX are pretty good and bloody, but it's just not enough of them. And for me a a Swiss person I also really like the Austrian language. And about the plot, not really worth mentioning, some plot holes here and there.