IMDb > The Cry (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Cry More at IMDbPro »

Boring, Pointless and Unpleasant Mess

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 June 2008

In New York, detective Alex Scott (Christian Camargo) is investigating with his partner Sergio Perez (Carlos Leon) the disappearance of several children. When they visit the Mexican witch Gloria (Miriam Colon), the woman advises that a powerful evil force is chasing the reincarnation of her son and drowning the other children to bring pain to their mothers.

"The Cry" is a boring, pointless and unpleasant mess about a Mexican legend called "La Llorona". This is the first time that I see a reference to this legend, and maybe this movie might make some sense to those that are familiar with "La Llorona". However, the screenplay is terrible, without development of characters or situations, and there is an absolute lack of explanation about everything that happens in the story. Why the evil spirit is attacking children in New York? Why the former Wall Street broker Scott has become a New York detective after losing his son? Why Maria was able to protect her son and why she blinded herself in the end? The lead character Scott is absolutely boring; maybe the actor has felt the turkey he was hired to work. Last but not the least, the theme of mothers drowning babies and children is of an extremely bad taste even for a pseudo-horror movie. My vote is one.

Title (Brazil): "Gritos da Morte" ("Cries of the Death")

Stink-A-Roo...... boring garbage

Author: windtar from United States
16 October 2009

wow, was this film awful....

$1 rental at redbox wasted.

the only reason i watched the whole thing is because i'm paralyzed and when in bed i couldn't shut it off myself, lol.

every scene was long and drawn out with boring camera scenes.

the flashbacks were long and boring and very predictable.

nothing was interesting or scary.

you could cut out 45 minutes of this film and not lose anything to the story.

the cast was awful, and i wanted the spirit to kill everyone just so movie would end.

i'd watch my mother the car reruns before this film, hehe.

the only thing the writer should feel proud of is she found a sucker to finance it.

Stink-A-Roo don't waste your time.

Waste of Money (Time You Will Regret Spending on this Clunker)

Author: lou from United States
21 June 2008

I hate to bash anyone's work, but this is simply the WORST film ever. It would take far too long to list this film's problems, but suffice to say...you will be wasting your time and money on a terrible film.

As far as the mother's killing their babies because of La Lorona, well that could have been handled in a terrifying but effective way (if it had to be handled), but this is not a thoughtful or sensitive treatment. It's not even a scary horror movie and the acting is so stiff - where was the director?

As to why it was shot in New York City instead of Mexico, clearly there were budget issues. But location is the least of the problems. I wish there was something good to say about this film, but I couldn't find it.

Maybe the film's writer/director or some cast/crew can post some positive comments...

This is how you make a horror film...a bad horror film that is!

Author: Prolox from Canada
5 November 2008

THE CRY is supposedly based on a creepy legend of LA LlORONA, a woman who cries for the loss of her child that she supposedly drowned. After being away for a few centuries, she's returned to New York City to star in a really bad horror movie that features no scares, suspense, gore, action, bad acting & even worse directing. I couldn't believe at how bland this movie was! It had to be the most boring horror film ever made, none of the characters or anything here was remotely interesting. The film looks amateurish. The film tries to be shocking with it's constant (though unseen on screen) child murders that the ghost commits, while possessing the child's mother but only winds up at being laughable. Avoid this film at all costs & don't believe a word of hype from various internet sights that claim this film is great it is anything but! There is a CRY alright, mine & everyone else's after seeing this horrible mess!

0 stars

Not As bad As Some Claim, But Not Worth Seeing Either

Author: gavin6942 from United States
15 July 2008

Spanish Harlem is plagued with a rash of disappearances and murders revolving around small children. Nothing seems to connect the crimes except that they seem to take place near bodies of water (although at least one occurs in a bathtub). We enter the story from two angles -- a woman who can see the victims in her visions and two police detectives, one of whom had a troubled childhood.

"The Cry" (or "La Llorona") was a confusing film for me. I never understood how the main actress was connected to the crimes. I don't know why the fortune teller scene was so long (seemingly to explain the Weeping Woman, but it didn't do this very well). And the flashbacks to the cop's childhood? Or the flashback to the girl by the water? Very hard to follow and ultimately more distracting than anything. The film was 80 minutes, but could easily have been 60 if the opening credits were cut down and the extra material (flashbacks) were excised.

Stylistically the film is good. The director really captures some great shots and the use of lenses or filters to give scenes different colors was a nice touch (sometimes blue, other times green or orange). The use of two different kinds of cameras made the editing look a bit sloppy (not unlike "Cabin by the Lake 2"). The overhead shots were also unnecessary.

I don't mean to be harsh, because really I could see this was a labor of love and it does have potential if it had simply been edited differently. And I applaud the writer for exploring a traditional part of her culture. In a bonus feature, she says she scoured the earth for five years collecting stories of La Llorona. Unfortunately, she left us with an inconsistent narrative that doesn't really make those stories clear. (Personally, I would recommend a book presenting oral histories of the Llorona tales... it would be more appropriate than the film).

I keep bringing up Ryan Harper's "Circulation" again and again in my reviews. I can't stress enough how great that film is. And here it comes again. If you're looking for one film that brings Spanish-American culture to the audience the best, you want "Circulation". "The Cry", while not a bad film, left me more confused than anything and I failed to connect with whatever the message was intended to be.

A awful take on the La Llorona legend

Author: msw_rdc from United Kingdom
24 May 2008

The Cry is a take on the La Llorona legend of Mexico and America. The two countries have many different takes on the legend. This film seems by all accounts to take from one of the Mexican legends of La Llorona hunting down children and drowning them.

The director Bernadine Santistevan film is stylishly shot, and looks fantastic, but unfortunately it lacks any substance.

Nothing is ever really explained in the film, like for example why La Llorona turned up in New York of all places. Why not Mexico where there is more history of the legend, and most importantly why she choose her victims.

Without these major points explained in the movie it all seemed kind of pointless.

One other thing I don't think an evil spirit possessing mothers to kill their own babies (and very young babies at that) is not a very good idea for a film. There are so many variations on this legend why not choose one that's a little less disturbing.

To sum it up people looking for "Dead Silence" or "Darkness Falls" type of film don't bother renting this, but people with an active interest in the La Llorona legend my find it interesting.

Most Awful Movie Ever

Author: kdu651 from United States
14 July 2009

I was really excited about this modern take because Mexcian folk tales and especially la llorona stories are a passion of mine. I had heard it was bad and I was willing to deal with bad effects/bad acting etc for a sake of enjoying a new twist on my favorite scary story. however. i was so unbelievably disappointed in this film that i almost couldn't watch it, but i did, praying it would get better. Its not scary. Its terrible acting despite the main actor (who is a terrific actor as seen on Dexter) so I know it is simply the screenplay and not the actors themselves (with the notable exception of the main detective's awkward and laughable-in- a-bad-way partner who was just horrendous. all the women didn't do bad at all but maybe that is because all together there may have been about five lines of dialogue written for all the females in this film combined. the worst part of the movie by far was the story. with such amazing folklore to work with i don't understand how it was even possible to make this movie as terrible as it was. i can scare my nephews with this story by telling it to them in the middle of the day in the car. i don't get how with such a large budget (you can tell by the caliber of cinematography) they could have made this story so frustratingly boring. i agree with the last review: none of this story makes sense and is ever explained. it trails along and leaves off like a seven year old making it up at a camp fire and then ending it abruptly when she realizes everyone has stopped listening. I also think that the way the scene was shot with the white mami was indeed in horribly bad taste. Come on Biny, lets see you choose better projects in the future.

My Review

Author: joemamaohio from United States
27 August 2008

Based around the urban legend of La Llorona, "The Cry" deals with mothers who drown their children because a spirit tells them to. Trying to get to the bottom of this phenomena is officer Alex Smith (Christian Camargo), who has his own terrifying secrets. As he delves into the legend, he begins to realize that it's not just a legend, but a reality.

La Llorona is said to be a spirit of a woman who, after her lover jilted her, drowned her child in retaliation, then weeps for him, and she wants company so she convinces mothers to drown her children so she has someone to cry with. It's all a pitiful excuse mothers give as to why they drown their children - one of the most despicable acts imaginable. And this movie was just as horrible.

Please don't have kids if you're wive is a homicide

Author: SEFEROTHxNARUTO_705 from Belgum
18 June 2016

*SPOILERS*

This movie is about little Rob and his red ball, or so i thought, he was kill. Amazing plot twist in the first three minutes. Sometimes the movie was actually really good but I didn't fully focus on it in person. My brother insisted on watching the movie because of his inner hatred towards our mother who is a drunken alcohol. I was busy with my hot girlfriend Jessica on snapchat. The car scene was a bit weird. The cradle baby infant is a horrible actor who should be ashamed of him/herself. Jessica wanted to skype so I didn't watch the rest but my brother said it was good so I rate it a 5. he's really good with movies and saw a lot of movies like advengers and batman.

Creepy? Yes - Scary? Not so much

Author: Gravastorm from United States
24 September 2008

Visually appealing, sometimes flat dialog and a disturbing storyline combine for a decently creepy first attempt from this writer/director.

After seeing the film then reading the comments here it is evident how little attention watchers paid to the story. The following seem to be the important points that were missed. Young mother Maria is sensitive to the paranormal which generates an early encounter with the cursed spirit La Llorona (who killed her son by drowning because of a man's treachery and is doomed to possess mothers to do the same) and results in her ability to sketch the spirit's victims. Detective Alex Scott is haunted by the loss of his child to the spirit's influence several years ago. Fearing for the life of her young son Maria contacts Alex who learns from a fortune teller that Maria's boy is the reincarnation of the cursed woman's murdered child. She says the only way to defeat the spirit is to "pluck out the evil eye".

Chilling and atmospheric I am interested to see what this director may do with a bit more experience.