IMDb > "Primeval" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Primeval"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Primeval" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Great show for Sci-fi fans; other proceed with caution

Author: npatel-8 from United States
5 May 2010

I watch anything and everything Sci-fi and Fantasy. I just had to get my hands on this when I heard about it.

The show def. has a low budget feel to it. While lighting and camera action isn't to my standards, they def. put some work into the CGI for the creatures. It is one of the highlights of the show in my opinion.

The acting isn't the best but it is something that you can grow to accept. You will grow to either like or hate some of the characters. I hate Abby. She is one of the most unrealistic characters in the show with some of the lame heroics she pulls. Nick Cutter is by far my favorite with Connor a close second. Without giving too much away, there are a few cast changes that really irritated me (the main change had to do with the actor that decided to leave at the pinnacle of the show).

The story has it's ups and downs. A large part of the show focuses on control of the naturally occurring situations and that can get quite boring. But fortunately, there is a deeper story that they work on.

Writing is "Primeval"

Author: synergywizardry from United States
10 August 2008

The two male leads are so gorgeous that they made my heart (a confirmed hetero heart) go pity-pat and the senior male lead has a Scots accent that is captivating.

Apparently, some future fiend periodically opens a sparkly, rotate-y, gleam-y time gate into the past to wreak havoc on the present with prehistoric monsters. This means the fiend is the dimmest villain in the history of time travel. Want to wreak havoc? Open a gate to a volcano.

All the actors are very earnest but the CGI is just "off" enough that nobody appears to be in any real danger. I think introducing a small, cute, flying lizard (he becomes some kind of mascot) "took the edge off" the whole monster threat because it was much less realistic-looking than the other creatures and he's cuter than R2D2 "on ice".

Their "lizard expert" is a zoo keeper who is a fabulously pretty woman in a platinum blond, Cameron Diaz way. The comic relief is a student who "never met a conspiracy theory he didn't like". His purpose is to run behind our heroes. His backpack holds a laptop which just happens to have pictures and "bio" info on every dinosaur species that ever lived (how nice of those millions of species to pose and be interviewed). The "designated bureaucrat" role is filled by a woman who goes from asking questions in a pub to ordering in the troops in less than an hour.

Our Scot hero is allowed to go into the gate to look for his long-lost wife with no more government balking than a requirement that he sign a waiver. On the other side of the gate is a bunch of triceratops "jousting" playfully on a barren volcanic debris field, instead of hanging out in the nice forest in the background. Within minutes he finds remains of a campsite, human remains (not his wife) and her camera which later produces "holiday snaps" of the wife. The Scot and his military escort have a half-hearted fight of the "I'm-staying-to-look-for-my-wife" vs. "my-orders-are-you're-coming-back-with-me" variety and exchange a few punches before diving through the closing gate in the nick of time, so to speak. (I'm not sure "The Sarah Jane Chronicles" kid show could get away with this stuff).

It also employed one of the hoariest of the sci-fi movie traditions. After the trained soldiers run fleeing from the monster (their weapons apparently ineffective), one hero throws the other a machine gun (inexplicably handy, incredibly still loaded), which quickly brings down the dino.

In conclusion, the writing was "Primeval".

From the 1st Season, I'm rather pleased so far.

Author: TheEmulator23 (Shelman23@gmail.com) from S. Lake Tahoe, CA
6 August 2008

First off I have only seen this online because I don't get BBC America. A good TV show is good no matter what language or country it comes from. Like this show, it's special effects look pretty darn good for a TV show. I don't really know who or what channel ITV is, but I don't trust them because they have already canceled the excellent "Island at War," & "Foyles War." Actually I think "Foyles War" is BBC, but nevertheless that has been canceled too. This show has a lot going for it & I look forward to watching more of it, here's hoping it makes it a little longer than the excellent, yet completely unending "Island at War." That series is about the German occupation of England's Channel Islands during WWII. Let's hope this show at least gives us a proper ending.

Brilliant!

Author: dagget_says_hi from Australia
14 August 2008

I had very low expectations when I saw Primeval advertised on TV. The effects did not look great, nor did the actors, but I sat down and watched the first episode and was fairly satisfied by the end. I tuned in the next week and thought the second episode was good, too. The third bored me a little bit but the rest of the season was, in a word, brilliant! Primeval is everything you could want in a TV show - action, suspense, mystery, hints of romance here and there and of course, adventure. I live in Australia and the second season is due to air in a few weeks so I will gladly be tuning in. Get out there and watch this series and you will not be disappointing in the characters that the producers actually get you to care about, something rare in TV show's today. Enjoy!

This TV series is in a different class to the film of the same name

Author: armittj from norway
16 April 2008

With a good cast and modern special effects, ITV have produced a TV series which is not in their usual field of expertise. Sci-Fi has not been a strong ITV genre in the past but this series has changed all that. The concept behind the story is far from original, but the execution of it in this TV series is very good indeed. The concept of time portals opening and enabling time travel, is far from new even for TV series - think of the Time Tunnel etc.. but combining this story with good acting, excellent casting, state of the art computer generated dinosaurs and a mixture of straight action, drama and comedy gives us a most entertaining result. A most worthy addition to viewing choices from UK TV on DVD. I have series 1 and 2 on DVD and cant wait for series 3 to be screened and made available on DVD.

Silliest show ever

Author: primacag-219-477782 from United States
8 December 2011

Show has great special effects, bothers to go through the trouble of actually knowing something about paleontology, and then tries to pass itself off as a stupid comedy for children. Hope it succeeds with them, because otherwise it is a complete waste of good concepts. One wonders how the producers got actors to sign on for this waste of their talents. One would hope that the network producing this would take the trouble to treat is audience as more intelligent. Otherwise we have to assume that the show reflects the intelligence level of its producers. Well...it is hard to find this much to say about something that could have been done much better with just a little bit more trust in the intelligence of the audience. Have I got to ten lines yet????

Dreadful series

Author: capcanuk from Canada
19 March 2011

I was hoping against all odds that this series would be at least amusing, if not "good". Sadly, it is the stupidest thing I've ever seen since "Land of the Lost". Come to think of it, it's pretty much on par with that old cheese fest.

The characters in Primeval are all ridiculous caricatures. They react like complete morons to just about every situation they face. They hesitate - not a few seconds, minutes! - when faced with spur of the moment life and death decisions.

For example, today's episode, Connor wants to use a new experimental device against an anomaly. They have no time, it's not ready, so he leaves it behind. Great, fine, understandable. Except, they return from this "false alarm" outing, but does Connor at least get to work finishing this device? No! he instead mopes around because Abby is meeting some unknown guy.

And of course, what happens next? There is an emergency call for another anomaly... and what does Connor do? "Wait, I can finish it, give me 5 minutes".... you don't HAVE 5 minutes you idiot! Which of course means they are late to the anomaly and a bunch of civilians have found it. Meanwhile, where is the rest of their team? Stuck in "traffic". Uhuh, yeah.

This show is just absolutely idiotic situation after idiotic situation, and the main characters spend all their time delaying and hemming and hawing when they should be RUNNING!!! not slowly trotting to their next destination. They are out to "save the world" from these deadly anomalies, yet never have the good sense to actually get their butts in gear! This is the absolutely worst writing I've seen in a long time for a sci-fi series. Space 1999 was Shakespeare compared to this.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Monster Series from Britain

Author: gpeevers from Canada
12 June 2009

British series from the ITV network to rival the BBC's Doctor Who/Torchwood franchise.

The premise of the series is that strange anomalies are discovered in various places in Britain (usually fairly near London) which act as temporary portals to other times. When your typical rag tag group gathers to investigate one of these anomalies they are organized into a team with the backing of the government to deal with creatures that wander into our world.

Primarily an action/adventure series it relies heavily on its CGI creatures which are fairly good especially for television, this is definitely the strength of the series as one of the creators had previously produced the documentary series "Walking with Dinosaurs" and its follow-ups.

Primeval has reasonably interesting characters, though they are by and large fairly clichéd and get limited development, this is easy to ignore though as the performances are solid and its not really about the characters.

For me the aspect that is the least effective are the actual stories, as is to expected the stories go beyond simply dealing with the anomalies and the creatures that travel through them, and we get involved in various schemes of people with different reactions to these anomalies and creatures. While the series obviously requires a fair bit of suspension of disbelief it is the mixing of the fantastic and the mundane aspects that causes the most problems for me.

Those expecting to see strictly dinosaurs maybe somewhat surprised as the series deals with a variety of different creatures.

Primeval - Volume 1 includes both the 1st and 2nd seasons which were respectively 6 and 7 episodes in length. On the whole British television seasons tend to be shorter and with the CGI involved its not surprising theses seasons are so short. The 3rd season is has just completed it's run.

Pure entertainment.. And NO PC

Author: danaigh from United States
6 March 2013

I love a good idea with action, nice men and women who are faithful to their character. In the U.S. I've have mostly given up on TV and movies, the writers here seem to be on a mission to prove their bona fide regarding any and all of the 'conscious raising' topics from Abortion to Zebra rights.

I'm in season 4 now, and so far there's no token minority, token gay, token black or even simulated sex scenes. The characters use typical English grammar with charming British slang like 'awright mate' or some such. There's some personal angle between the geek and the blonde which by U.S. standards would be too subtle. But this tension is left for the audience to wonder about, no scene of an epiphany of uncontrolled lust with groaning and grunting for five minutes. Thank you all.

Anyway British ladies are so enjoyable to watch too.

Good show Where's the American version?

Author: bard-32 from United States
21 June 2009

I found Primeval on the Sci-Fi Channel a couple of weeks ago. It's a good show. Where's the American version? The show's about a team of scientists who try prevent anomalies and prehistoric animals, (sometimes futuristic animals), from taking over our time period. Professor Cutter leads a team that includes Connor Temple and Abby Maitland. Jenny's the spin doctor for the team, which works for the Home Office. Their boss has hired someone to break up the team. Friday's episode was about a boy who was playing basketball with his friends when he was taken by a mysterious creature from our future. It was vaguely human, and Abby, a former zookeeper, asked Cutter if he thought that they were our descendants.

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]