IMDb > "Primeval" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Love it:)

Author: supernatural136 from United States
21 March 2012

Saw a commercial for it while watching Tudors on BBCA one day and found out that the first 4 seasons are on Netflix. I began watching them and found myself falling in love with this show. I love the characters, the plot twists--some of which I couldn't even come up with--and the dinosaurs. i mean, the animation wasn't awesome or anything, but for a lowly funded British show it was really good, and the actors did well with the whole "acting at empty air" thing. People keep comparing in to Doctor Who, but I've never like that show and quit watching it after the first season so i think its no comparison. I kind of hate that the original cast almost all eventually gets fired or killed, and somehow the two that are left are the characters that were the least prominent in the first two seasons. I just adore the chemistry between Connor and Abby, they are the cutest couple. I would recommend this show to anyone who enjoys an entertaining plot, quirky characters, and slightly cheesy dinosaur drama.

Delightfully Cheesy

Author: Elizabeth Rose from North Dakota, USA
7 March 2011

No question: This is junk-food TV, but it perfect for "Supernatural Saturdays" here in the U.S. on BBCA. I enjoyed the first incarnation, was disappointed at the cancellation, and delighted that it was "brought back from extinction" in 2011. I do miss the original villains (I still can't see Alexander Siddig (DS9) as a villain, and the "lost boy" Ethan was unbelievable as a villain), and I miss the old Connor-Abby tension with their mutual love of a certain little creature (who has been relegated to "safety storage" rather than living with Abby) continuing to keep them attracted to each other. The ensemble could use a little work, I would like to see Connor and Abby click better, but Lucy Brown's return in a guest appearance improved the dynamic markedly (especially with the Connor and Abby characters), reminding me of the best ensemble aspects of the former series. It also indicates that the characters are relatively well-drawn individually, they just need to click better as a group, and would benefit from more visits by Lucy Brown. For part two of 2011 series, if they work on the ensemble, and ratchet up the tension with better villainy, I'll improve my rating. As for the action and the creatures, though, they have that in the bag, and it's great fun. 7.5 out of 10, based on this being a "B" type program.

Im a Primeval fan from the past and now that it's the future... Im still a fan!

Author: Michael Taylor from United Kingdom, Hampshire
24 January 2011

IMPORTANT!! **This review isn't reviewing the entire show... Just SEASON 4 EPISODE 1... My vote on this review reflects only this episode, not the entire series**

I love this episode! AMAZING is one word i would use!

At the beginning of the episode, it starts of with Abbie and Connor, still stuck in the Cretaceous period. This episode carries on from last series, ending in the past, starting in the past. But this time, it's been an entire year! They managed to get back to the present time by finding once again the anomaly opener device which was Helens original device which she dropped. They found this device within a raptors nest.

One thing i disliked about this episode is that when Abbie and Connor finally managed to make there way back into the present time, there is nothing really spectacular about it. They have been stuck in the past for an entire year but once they finally make their way back its almost like... "Wait, is this home? Yes? Woooooo, about time" in a really dull manner. I strongly believe that they should have used some emotional music, in the actual episode, they used no music at all. They should have made this moment, more of a spectacular moment.

Also another thing i disliked is that when they made there way back into the present time, soldiers from the ARC turned up and arrested Abbie and Connor and pinned them to the ground, then Captain Becker came along and made a really cheesy joke and he was like "Ohh yeah... Your back... Nice to see you, it's been a long time" and he wasn't very happy or pleased at all to see them.

Great Show, Well Done Impossible Pictures.

Author: Zach Kingsbury from United Kingdom
15 January 2011

Primeval Got Me Hooked From The First Scene Where Helen Was Chased Through An ASDA Car Park By A Dinosaur. It's Very Well Put Together And The Story lines Are Great And Are Full Of Cliffhangers.

The Actors And Actresses Play Their Part Brilliantly. The Best Acted Parts Are, To Me, Connor Temple (Andrew Lee-Potts) And Abby Maitland (Hannah Spearitt) Series 1 Was A Brilliant Opening Series, With A Massive Cliffhanger At The End, Perfect Entertainment.

Series 2 Lived Up To The Expectations Of Series 1 If Not A Little Better, A Shock When Stephen Hart (James Murray) Was Killed Off Meant That The Viewing Figures Would Rise For The 3rd Series.

The 3rd Series Was A Little Disappointing At The Start, The First Episode Was Alright But, Particuraly The 2nd And 4th Episodes, Were Horrible. It Gradually Picked Up Speed And Better Episodes Cam Along For The Last Half Of the Series, Especially Episode 6 (The Terror Birds.)The Last 3 Didn't Really Feel The Same Because Of The Killing Off Of Nick Cutter. Also Jenny Lewis/Claudia Brown Had Left After Episode 5 After Nearly Dying. The Makers Entered A Couple Of New Charocters To Fill Their Places. Sarah Page (Laila Rouass) Captain Becker (Ben Mansfield) And Danny Quinn (Jaosn Flemyng) Were Introduced And Played A Good Part In The Final Episode.

After Series 3 Finished ITV 1 Were Told That Primeval Was Axed Because Of The Making Costs. This Didn't Go Down Too Well Obviously With Fans Because Half The Cast Were Left Up A Tree In The Cretaceous Period And One Was Missing. But Itv Won The Battle And Were Allowed 2 New Series.

Series 4 Introduces New Characters And Is Doing Very Well In Explaining What Happened To Characters And Keeping Flow Of The Show Perfectly Simple.

Love this Series

Author: armywife65 from United States
1 February 2010

OMG! I never knew about this show til I got NETFLIX and I was bored, so I browsed around on my instant movies and came across Primeval.

I watched one episode and I was hooked. I watched every single episode from all 3 series right in a row. It took me I think 2 days to finally finish and when I found out that there is no series 4 yet...I am bummed! This show is awesome. I really hope they keep on going with this show.

Great work, Great actors. I am taking acting right and I wish so much I could be a part of something like this.

I give this show a perfect 10

Primeval Fanatic; Proud Primevalian and Arcadian.

Author: The_Palaeontologist from United Kingdom
8 January 2012

Now, it would seem as though only yesterday that Primeval first hit the British small screen. In truth, some five series have passed already and avid fans such as myself eagerly anticipate the sixth series that I reckon should be made (after the cliffhanger of the last episode of Series V) True fans of the show such as myself have been watching since day 1 and have followed the story arcs which have also become ever more complicated - what with altered timelines, many new characters and the ongoing dark legacy of the ingenious rogue villain Helen Cutter. The sheer scope for potential story lines in Primeval is staggering; the past of Earth which we know goes back 4.567 Billion Years, and the future which is likely equally extensive, to provide endless varieties of amazing creatures to provide an array of different kinds of storyline.

From the masterful programme making of Tim Haines and Adrian Hodges - of Walking With Dinosaurs fame - we have come to expect original and engaging stories which are unpredictable and well crafted. The casting has been utterly perfect, throughout all series. Enigmatic Nick Cutter is made by Glaswegian Douglas Henshall. I could not imagine anyone else being right for the role. His deranged wife Helen Cutter developed across the series by Juliet Aubrey, as an increasingly aggressive and immoral murderer and dangerous time traveller, to compelling degree. Helen Cutter is maniacal but, as Nick Cutter says, brilliant. All of the others - too many to mention - do a fantastic job. The blossoming romance of real life couple Connor and Abby played by Andrew-Lee Potts and former S Club member Hannah Spearritt, the charming Claudia Brown and her more feisty changed version of Jenny Lewis portrayed by the exceptionally beautiful Lucy Brown, the hilariously sarcastic and pompous but ultimately lovable James Lester (played by comedian and actor Ben Stiller) and of course the adorable prehistoric Permian Period 'pets' Rex, Sid and Nancy! This is to name but a few.

Primeval is a fantastic ensemble of perfectly matched actors and actresses, with inexhaustible stories and superb special effects for strict TV budgets. As Sci-Fi Dramas go, the British are world beaters. As Primeval goes, I would say it is far better than Doctor Who - which it is often frustratingly compared to, in spite of obvious differences and overall contexts being unrelated. Critics such as the indefatigable Charlie Brooker have praised Primeval as much better than Doctor Who and Torchwood, even going as far as saying Russel T.Davies should be ashamed. I would support this notion. The conceptual outcome of the Anomalies is staggering. Beautiful portals of light that are clearly iconic and open discretely - not so that everyone in the world knows about it - and often in mundane or grim surroundings; a storeroom, a closed shopping centre, an old section of the underground, a dark forest, an airport hangar, a cave, a derelict house, a golf course at tree level, and even an anomaly that lasted less than a minute or two...and so on. Before sliding into the oh so convenient, every now and then one opens in a very much unwanted place. The airport hangar anomaly itself allowing through a huge Giganotosaurus which kills many people, for one. Series V ended after many anomalies opened in the convergence event, which affected areas all over the world. If there is a Series VI I would want to see how this realistically affects the ARC project in Great Britain. Anyhow, as yet, the realism is well kept.

Primeval was thought of around the time Walking With Dinosaurs was being made, by Tim Haines. Indeed, without the magnificent success of Walking With Dinosaurs and subsequent Walking With series, it may never have been possible to make Primeval. Now we know what British TV is capable of - near Jurassic Park levels of special effects at a small fraction of the price. Sci-Fi now has the Future Predator - a veritable triumph of concept art turned to animated on screen uber-nasty. Truly, the look of the Future Predator alone was enough to convince the cast of Series 1 when it first appeared, that this programme was a serious and special thing indeed. It occupies a niche that is sorely needed to exist in modern television. Many ignorantly dismiss it as nothing more than a kids programme (often without even watching an episode) You have to watch everything, read up on the characters and animals, and be grateful for the sheer originality of the show. It is a tour de force of British Sci-Fi, and that a Canadian spin-off has been announced and is already in production in conjuncture with British animation house Impossible Pictures, is to me proof that Primeval has world appeal. My only major criticism of Primeval...is that I am not in it! (as a resident Palaeontologist or something, which would be nice)

A decent series with a gripping story

Author: Gerard van den Akker (monnikje) from Amsterdam, the Netherlands
28 June 2011

In Primeval strange portals to other times, called 'anomalies', pop up all over England. Through them creatures from other times enter the modern era and wreck chaos and destruction. It's up to a team of scientists and soldiers to stop the Dinosaurs and such from running wild, while trying to discover more about why these strange anomalies pop up.

At the moment I write this review, the last episode of season five has just premiered. All seasons are short, with mainly six or seven episodes each (season three is an exception with ten episodes). This is a major plus point for the series: no stupid 'filler' episodes just to fill some air time.

I found most episodes to be very original. There are anomalies popping up not only on land, but also in the air and under water, allowing different kinds of species to go through. All kinds of eras are opened up, giving all kinds of different problems, including some future animals.

One of the weak points has been pointed out in many other reviews: the bumpy camera work. Especially in scenes with much running, this could become pretty irritating. Luckily the story is gripping, and it didn't distract me too much.

Even tough monsters run rampart across the UK, there is almost no gore in the series. Yes, people die, but you never see bitten off limbs or horrible wounds: that is all outside the view of the camera. Even tough I would have preferred to see some of the wounds made, it does make the series more accessible for younger viewers.

People die. Not just the random guy that happens to be in the neighborhood of an anomaly, but also main characters. This causes the team to change composition a few times, with the largest change happening between season three and four.

Looking at season four, one might be scared off. After the strong first three seasons, it starts weak, only to be recovering near the end of that season. But it's the premise to season five, which is a pretty good one, in pair with the first season I'd say. It's worth to bite through season four, just to see what happens in season five.

To summarize, Primeval is a nice series. Not the top juice, but also not bad. It has a gripping story, nice special effects and likable characters. Unfortunately the acting isn't top notch and the camera-work is bad.

Fantastic

Author: paul_holborn from United Kingdom
26 April 2011

I got into this long after its original air date, but I am so glad I did, along with Torchwood, it has to be one of the best British sci-fi series I've seen in years!! I literally can't wait for season 5 to air.

Andrew Lee Potts is fantastic, this is a man I will investigate further, he has talent, I only hope he gets the success he deserves. He obviously loves playing Connor Temple & has fleshed the character out well & evolved with the character as the seasons have progressed.

Ben Miller is for me, brilliant, like Andrew Lee Potts, it's obvious he loves playing this role, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts getting offers from Hollywood before long.

Primeval doesn't have ground breaking special effects, it doesn't need it, it relies on plot & good old fashioned acting, it is a testament too it, that even though it was cancelled the funding has been found too continue making it.

Can't Wait for Season Two

Author: Christopher D. Borden from Nanaimo, British Columbia
21 February 2008

Got to see the first series showing in Canada on our SpaceCast Channel and was hooked from the first episode. I am wondering when we might get the release on this side of the grand pond of the second series. I have great respect for the UK for producing some pretty good sci-fi mini series and can only hope the quality continues. This program keeps you wondering the consequences of what could come of actions that only a stitch in time unraveling from a simple mistake. Taking responsibility and trying to fix a problem created by others seems to be an honorable challenge. There is not an over use of special effects rather the suspense from scene to scene with the implications of making the proper choice of action . Please continue with the foray.

Running out of ideas

Author: gamercer from Australia
6 April 2009

Well here we are in Episode 2 of Series 3. Yes there are anomalies and monsters coming out and going into them. There could be parallel universes, but we aren't quite sure. Helen pops up occasionally with that'smurk' on her face.Now Cutter is in the lab working on some 'structure' The other characters are all over the place. Every time I watch an episode, I hope to see development of a theme leading to an amazing conclusion, but I think the 'writers' are making up the storyline as they go. It's a real shame because the whole program could really be a whole lot better. And the sad part about it is that these so-called 'writers' are probably getting paid a fortune to write this trash....

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]