IMDb > "Primeval" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Primeval"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Primeval" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Primevil

Author: dalsgaard from Haderslev, Denmark
27 April 2009

It's just evil to make you get hooked to this series, and force you to sit through the end. Nothing less. The first few episodes were watchable mostly because of the eye-candy. The animation is superb, and I got to admit... I absolutely love Hannah Spearitt (Abby).

It's like a mix of Jurassic Park, a random horror series, and Stargate without the clever twists. It all seems a bit new in the first couple of episodes, and all the inconsistencies and intelligence-insulting story lines is forgivable.

As the episodes progress, all the holes in the script begin to become all too obvious though. Now, in season 3, it's like watching a science fiction parody. It simply seems like the writers did'nt even bother to go through the script a second time, just passing it along to the director without any thought! Episode 2, and they have hired a woman to do research into mythology behind the 'anomalies', trying to find patterns in order to make educated guesses on when and where the next anomaly will appear. But apparently, she did'nt even bother to give the team that investigates the site any information about it whatsoever.

The prehistoric animals are all messed up. Apparently nothing can scare them, and they attack anything in sight. I remember a scene where a group of citizens got horribly mauled by some worms that went through an anomaly, but when it attacked the heroes, it barely made any mark.

I could name so many problems with the script, but it's easier to just give the summary: Clearly, the concept of the series was to make a show that had dinosaurs in them which really looked good - and they succeeded. It does look pretty nice. But there is no new ideas, they took it all from various previous shows creating the most uninspired Hollywood text-book science fiction series I have seen in a long time.

The acting is alright, but all the duologue's are boring attempts at creating a would-be chemistry that we all have seen far too many times.

If you're really bored, then watch it. Just know, that after the first season, it may prove more inspiring and exiting to look at a coffee pot.

Enjoyable fluff!

Author: twiggystardust from United Kingdom
15 March 2007

I didn't expect a great deal from Primeval which is perhaps why I now find myself pleasantly surprised by it. The casting is excellent and story lines, although sometimes far-fetched, are nevertheless highly enjoyable. It's the little gem on Saturday night TV which these days are pretty much few and far between.

For those who are keen to compare it to Doctor Who and Torchwood, I must say I personally don't think it's similar to either of them. Yes, it's the same genre but give the thing a chance! -- I'm not sure half the people who have slated this have even watched it.

At the end of the day, Primeval was never going to be groundbreaking - and, to its credit, I don't think it sets out to be anything of the sort - but it is a great piece of telly fluff that'll certainly keep me tuned for series two.

Pretty good to start with but ran out of ideas

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
18 June 2011

When Primeval first started it was pretty good and very interesting in its concept. However, in my view the show is getting worse and worse. The special effects are great, I like the theme tune and Andrew Lee Potts does what he can. But sadly, I wish I can say the same for the rest. The first series was good, after that it was clear the series was running out of ideas. There is a lack of atmosphere, because the scares are so predictably done. Then there is the camera work, which is very frantic and rushed to the point it is dizzying, the writing is now clichéd and banal and the story lines are dully paced, lame and unoriginal. Other than Potts, the other acting is often lacking and it doesn't help that I can't connect to the characters. So overall, to start it wasn't bad, now other than the effects and two or three other things it is rather dull and unoriginal. 3/10 Bethany Cox

Sorry, but hardly worth watching.

Author: mhml-2 from Rotterdam, Netherlands
2 June 2010

Without a doubt, the special effects in this series are pretty good. The rest isn't really. It's just very weak stories with many predictable 'scare' moments. Kids might enjoy this, adults have to turn off their brains to a max. It's all been done/seen before. I personally am prepared to overlook these kind of defects, when compensated, for instance, by some interesting lead characters with personalities (the 'A-team' would be a good example here). However, except for Connor Temple and maybe James Lester, these people are utterly boring. I find myself not really caring for any of them, should they die or something.

So why am I watching this in the first place, one might ask. Andrew-Lee Potts would be the answer. In Syfy's mini series 'Alice', he managed to steal every scene and I keep hoping to see some of that magic here. But he hardly gets the chance. Those camera shots keep flashing about to get too many characters into 45 minutes, together with all those dinosaurs and other primeval creatures. Please, get this man a proper role in a quality production. His talent is wasted here.

brief panties? It's all good.

Author: Australian1 from Australia
15 April 2007

One commented about Hannah (Abby) walking around in brief panties... I am sure young viewers will not think much of it since she looks so young and they are probably used to see sisters or close friends doing the same. I don't think there is anything wrong with those scenes, she is very cute and plays her role well. All the cast does a pretty good job with their character. As another commented, it's a good change, I have had my fill of hospitals, cops, NCIS and soap opera. It's time for Sci-Fi again.

I enjoyed the 5 episodes I saw so far and I'll watch the last one soon. Last I hope it is not! I have no idea how this 6 episode series will conclude, but I hope they leave it open for a return.

Lightweight , fun series. Poor camera work

Author: boogiebob from Kentucky, United States
5 June 2011

I enjoyed the light hearted action of the first series. Hannah Spearritt certainly is easy on the eyes, especially when caught running around in her undies.

But by the beginning of series 3 I felt like I was seeing the same thing rehashed and recycled every week. So I quit watching.

I decided to go back later and start series 4. Again, nothing deep, but more fun than reality TV. However, I don't know if I will watch any more than the 1st episode because of the horrible camera work. Did they go out looking for a cameraman with palsy? Whenever there is any action, of which there is plenty since that is the meat of the series, the camera bounces around enough to make watching unpleasant. Apparently this is someone's idea of informing the viewer that something exciting is happening. If I watch a car careening down the street I don't bob my head vigorously to make the sight more exciting. It really aggravates me that an otherwise mild to moderately entertaining 45 minutes becomes instead annoying because some director thinks it is cool bounce and jerk the camera.

If that is not a problem for you, and you expect that the plot and action will be pretty formula you'll find this passably entertaining.

I would have been willing to give it a 5 1/2, but amateur camera work reduces it to a 4.

A Worth Watching TV show, until Series 4 (May contain spoilers!)

Author: greenwolvesoforion-902-707610 from United Kingdom
2 February 2011

*May contain a person rambling on for a bit*

When I first watched this show I fell in love with it. The episodes had fantastic stories, and really cool characters. Abby and Connor are the best, and Nick Cutter was a close runner-up. The effects are a bit cheesy, I admit, but it's a good show... Seasons 1,2 and 3 were awesome, and are seriously worth watching! But... It WAS a good TV series Until Season 4 popped up. (DOn't get me wrong, I still like 1,2 and 3) The first episode of Season 4 was OK, with the Spinosaurus and Abby and Connor trapped in the past for a year... But after that it just began to fail miserably.

You can tell it was made by a different team of people, by all the camera shots used (Those little not needed slight zooms), the getting-worse-by-episode-acting, the stories that make no sense and seem pointless, and the dialogue is spoken in episodes is cut in too suddenly, making un-realistic speaking in a conversation.

The believable sci-fi/mild-horror show Primeval has gone to fast-speaking-unable-to-keep-up-with-what's-happening rubbish! And they've changed Connor's character so he's gone from geeky-but-likable to near-useless! And what's up with that girl who sits at the annomoly detecting screen? She's only there to wear short skirts, and she's not needed at all! They all get in these buildings and places, no questions asked, no one there to wonder why people with guns have charged in! In the older series, they're asked questions about why something's happened, why they're going into a building/have to close somewhere off, while now they go where ever the hell they like, and no one cares!

When it came to Season 4 episode four, with the kids in the school... Man, the continuity in that was stinkin' terrible! First, the team get in the school building, then the kids lock the doors. So what happens in the next shot? The ARC team are shown walking through a door, which had been locked, then next when they try going through a door 'It's locked!' And that keeps happening throughout the episode UNTIL NEARLY THE END (But even that had a horrible continuity error) the end, where Connor has reset the system, so all the doors are unlocked, and then after that they ask 'Connor, can you get these doors unlocked?' 'YEah, I'm doing it now' (HE's already unlocked them by reseting the system! DUH! They've been unlocked for about 5 minutes, you could have gone through that door! *Face-palm*

The fourth series completely sucks, with dialogue spoken/cut in too fast, terrible continuity, and the people from the past (forgot about them)are annoying and seem pointless, I'd give Series 4 -10/10, but the first 3 series, with more of a sci-fi/mild horror element are a definite 10/10.

Ranks up there with "Fringe" as one of the best SF TV series ever

Author: Bevin Chu from Taiwan
8 July 2012

Warning! Spoilers Ahead!

"Primeval" ranks up there with "Fringe" as one of the best time travel/alternate universe genre SF TV series ever made. Far, far better than paint by the numbers shows such as "Quantum Leap." I still can't believe however that the creators of the show killed off every one of their leading characters.

Killing off the adorable Claudia Brown by changing the time line was bad enough. Admittedly they reincarnated her, sort of, as Jenny Lewis. But then they wrote her out of the show too by having her resign.

Killing off the unflappable, too cool for school Stephen Hart and even the living, beating heart of the show Nick Cutter was just too much. That is no way to keep a franchise going.

I suppose the creators of the show should be given credit for their ruthlessness. The shockingly unexpected deaths of these beloved main characters leave holes in our hearts. They evoke the inner emptiness that accompanies the loss of a loved one.

But unless the actors wanted out for career reasons, killing their characters off was definitely a bad move.

No dinos!!

Author: (g00187276-1) from Ireland
21 August 2007

I love this show. it's fast and witty, with breath-taking visual effects. comparing it to doctor who (as happens) is unjustified. just because they both involve time travel! if you apply the same philosophy, Doctor Who must be a rip off of EVERY time travel film, show or book that came before it.

Anyway, got that off my chest :) i see in loads of comments here that people call the monsters "Dinosours" this is false, as not one animal in the show comes from that family. I know that's what they're called in the show, but that is either a goof or a diliberate mistake. Not every large reptile from pre-history is a dino!

Not clever enough

Author: Bert45 from New Zealand
11 July 2007

The first episode of Primeval went to air in New Zealand last night and I'm afraid I'm joining the "disappointed" team. I was looking forward to this as a fan of British TV but it quickly lost my vote, and not just because it looks like a cross between Jurassic Park and Stargate. That wouldn't have been a problem if the writers and director had shown any degree of patience with their plot. Instead, they rushed headlong into the story as if in fear of the viewers getting away if they stopped for breath. So there was no tension, no build-up, no clever mind games with the viewer and, by the end of the first fifteen minutes, we already knew far too much - as did the characters. And what the characters discovered didn't scare them anywhere near enough. The main ones are supposed to be serious scientists but they were far too ready to accept things that should have thrown their world-view into chaos. Big, scary creature? Well, clearly it's a dinosaur that's somehow found its way into the present day. Oh, look - big sparkly thing in the forest. It must be a space-time anomaly. We've all heard about those! And yes, let's go through the big sparkly thing despite the fact that we have absolutely no idea what it will do to us or what, if anything, is on the other side. (At least Stargate had the nous to send a mechanical probe through first). And the scenes with the boy were just plain lazy and crude. A dinosaur manages to track the boy right back to his bedroom in suburban England and then proceeds to smash its way through his window and wreck his room without anyone in the other houses noticing. And when his mother comes up to tell the boy off for making so much noise, she doesn't even bother to ask how the bedroom window frame came to be smashed to pieces! Pu-lease! Yes, I know that sci-fi demands a suspension of disbelief but good sci-fi doesn't insult your intelligence along the way. What it should do is challenge your imagination. Primeval doesn't do that - at least not for the adult viewer - so I won't be tuning in next week.

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]