IMDb > Carriers (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Carriers

Carriers More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Could have been something, but wasn't

Author: fung0 from Canada
5 December 2009

There's a good movie lurking here, but this isn't it. The basic idea is good: to explore the moral issues that would face a group of young survivors of the apocalypse. But the logic is so muddled that it's impossible to get involved.

For example, our four heroes are (understandably) paranoid about catching the mysterious airborne contagion that's wiped out virtually all of mankind. Yet they wear surgical masks some times, not others. Some times they're fanatical about wiping down with bleach any area touched by an infected person. Other times, they seem completely unconcerned.

Worse, after apparently surviving some weeks or months in this new kill-or-be-killed world, these people constantly behave like total newbs. They don't bother accumulating proper equipment, or food. They're forever running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. They don't take elementary precautions when meeting strangers. And after wading through the rotting corpses of the entire human race, they're as squeamish as sheltered debutantes. You have to constantly wonder how they could have survived this long... and even if they did, why anyone would want to make a movie about them.

So when these dweebs stop to agonize over the moral dimensions of their actions, it's impossible to take their soul-searching seriously. Their actions would first have to make some kind of minimal sense.

On top of all this, we must contend with the dubious acting abilities of Chris Pine. His portrayal of an arrogant young James T Kirk might have seemed shrewd, when viewed in isolation. But in Carriers he plays on exactly that same note: arrogant and boneheaded. It's impossible not to suspect that this constitutes his entire dramatic range.

On the positive side, the film *looks* excellent. It's got an over-sharp, saturated look that really suits the southwestern US locale. But that can't save the truly feeble writing nor the paper-thin (and annoying) characters. Even if you're a fan of the end-of-the-world genre, you should save yourself the agony of watching Carriers.

Thrilling film about mysterious epidemic spreads across the planet , being well directed by Spanish filmmakers David and Alex Pastor

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
16 August 2013

Intrigue, intense drama , action and suspense film about a deadly and rapacious virus spread by means of infection and contagion . This interesting film is set a few years from now, a dangerous, desolate world of the future where a virus outbreaks , annihilates population and there rules the strongest law . As four friends fleeing a viral pandemic soon learn they are more dangerous than any virus . They are : Brian (Chris Pine) , his girlfriend Bobby (Piper Perabo) , his brother Danny (Lou Taylor Pucci) and their friend, Kate (Emily VanCamp) . Their rules are simple , you break them, you die ... They take extreme necessary measures to stop the rapacious epidemic . When their car breaks down on the road and stranded in desert they agree a covenant with a man named Frank (Christopher Meloni) who carries his ill little daughter (Shipka) . The virus expands rapidly and they look for a doctor (Mark Moses) who has found a healing potion .

Suspense thriller that deals with an intense drama , a special relationship among two brothers and intrigue about a deadly virus is spread by contagion . The pictures results to be a metaphor for AIDS panic in the same way that 50s extraterrestrial films mirrored fears of Red Menace . Nice performance for a promising all-star-cast as Chris Pine , future ¨Star Trek's captain Kirk¨ , Piper Perabo of ¨Covert affairs¨ , Emily VanCamp of ¨Revenge¨ and Christopher Meloni of ¨Law and order¨. Colorful and appropriate cinematography by Benoît Debie . Stirring and adequate musical score by Peter Nashel . Good direction by Pastor Brothers who do have its thrilling moments , most of them in the first half , though the second half being mostly dramatic and tragic . The motion picture was compellingly realized by David and Alex Pastor . They offer us an intelligent flick of the apocalyptic world movie, intimate and committed . This one resulted to be their first film and David and Alex Pastor Brothers have directed in 2013 ,¨The Last days¨ , with Quim Gutierrez , Jose Coronado , Marta Etura ; also dealing with a strange virus in which humanity develops an irrational fear of open that causes instant death , as the world population is trapped inside buildings and Barcelona descends into chaos . ¨Carriers¨ rating : Better than average . Well worth watching .

Not Original, But Still Well Done

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
21 December 2011

The premise of this story is admittedly not very original. It's another movie about a handful of survivors of a deadly world-wide plague who are struggling to survive and to avoid getting infected, while every now and then coming into contact with those who are infected. So, if originality is what you want, this won't be appealing, and I have to confess that for the first little while I also wasn't finding this to be especially appealing. I have to confess, though, that it grew on me as it went on. I especially appreciated the fact that the movie for the most part let the situation speak for itself. It wasn't really sensationalized, and it wasn't overly graphic. Basically it followed the journey of four people trying to find a way to safety. While the premise certainly isn't original what was original about it is the overall mood. This was a sobering story more than anything, and it was easier to relate to the plight of the survivors whose story we were following than it is to the survivors in a lot of movies. They weren't superheroes. They were regular people trying their best to make it through an impossible situation and having to make some impossible choices along the way. Meanwhile, the infected whom they encountered weren't monsters. They were just real and truly unfortunate, pathetic people who had no hope once they were infected.

The scenario is far-fetched, but nevertheless believable. We are, after all, inundated with scares of killer viruses on the loose. That's also, of course, why there have been so many movies of this type. The nature of the disease is never really explained, except that it's transmitted through the air and is invariably deadly. The performances in this were pretty good, which made the characters more sympathetic. Chris Pine and Lou Taylor Pucci were the Green brothers - Brian and Danny respectively. Piper Perabo was Brian's girlfriend, and Emily VanCamp's character was largely unexplained, but appears to have been an upper class young woman who latched on to the group. Their performances were solid rather than outstanding.

It may be merely one of many movies with a similar storyline, but I found I enjoyed it - and that I enjoyed it more as the story progressed. (8/10)

Chris Pine gives a great performance.

Author: kow626 from Orlando, FL
15 December 2011

I like zombie and post-apocalyptic flicks and this falls into the latter category. Synopsis sounded good, it got good comments and reviews, so I gave it a shot and wasn't disappointed. It's not slow or boring in any way. I gotta give props to Chris Pine. The guy can act and the writing/directing team of the brothers Pastor seem to have brought out the best in him. They haven't done much, but for something like this, their star will have to shine bright at some point. Really good effort put in here. Pine was a prick in Star Trek and ain't much different here. He can certainly be a lead in any type of action oriented movie but I'd like to see what else he has to offer in the drama department. I wanna see him cry.

I'd definitely recommend this movie. Solid performances all the way through. It ain't a zombie flick but reminds me a bit of Zombieland because of the foursome of 2 guys, 2 girls. It ain't a comedy either but it does have its laughs here and there. The pace is not too slow and not too fast either. It's just right. I give it 7 out of 10 stars. If you're into this genre, you won't be disappointed. The climax isn't what I expected but it is a good one. This is where Pine's performance ranks up there with Karina Testa in Frontieres. Very solid and believable. If you're a budding filmmaker and wanna know how an actor is supposed to act given the circumstances, then watch this part of the movie and study it.

Haunting and unadorned...

Author: loogenhausen from United States
8 November 2011

Carriers is quite a find when you consider its surroundings. Especially when those surroundings are endless waves of uninspired torture gorno yackety-shmack and too many slasher retreads to even shake a stick at. Unceremoniously shafted in its minuscule theatrical release, the film is a dark and lonely but highly effective meditation on what it could be like to be among the last gasp of humanity during a planet-killing viral holocaust. No zombies, no rage - just infection. How would you act and react to situations around you? It would probably bring out your true nature and it does in Carriers. A great cast deftly pull off haunting performances - especially Chris Pine and Piper Perabo. With sobering thoughts on death and the merits (or lack thereof) of survival, the movie left me quietly unsettled after it ended and it has still stuck with me long after. Requiring hardly any gore but demanding the most out of characterization and emotion, Carriers is realistic horror at its best.

I Will Be Alone....

Author: haider ejaz (hyder_sagg2003) from Pakistan
30 October 2011

Carriers 2009 is an All right movie but while I was watching, I could remember some other Virus flicks. Performances were fine, original score and album was pretty decent. Also there was some good scenery of beautiful Mountain regions of America.( I am not sure but Colorado ... i guess).

The story was not bad and there was little violence, which I consider good because all other movies with such subject are pretty gory. I didn't find the movie boring or dull but it wasn't some thing very good either.

I will give it a 6.5/10. watch it and you won't regret it.

Low key but powerful

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
13 August 2011

Two brothers and two girls are driving across America to go to a remote coastal hotel which they used to visit on family holidays. A plague has killed the majority of the population, and they believe they will be able to ride out the final stages of the plague in their isolated destination. But the few people they encounter may or may not be infected.

The small cast of this film has Lou Taylor Pucci and Chris Pine as the two brothers in a fairly leisurely, fairly low key, but always involving story of survival. The cast are all good.

Although not a great deal happens during the film, what does happen is gripping as the humanity of the participants is stripped away, layer by layer, in the interests of survival.

This low key film, which slipped under my radar until I picked it up as a bargain DVD, is well worth what I paid for it, and well worth watching.

Another watchable post-apocalyptic story

Author: perkypops from United Kingdom
5 August 2011

The story is familiar. Put four survivors from a spitefully contagious and deadly virus in a car, give them a simple set of rules, and let the story pan out from there. The result is a straightforward film which attempts to tackle the issue on almost every front. We are asked to witness how characters change, how morality takes second place to survival, and how mistrust is a vicious component in many people's makeup. We also see how and why rules get broken no matter how sensible they may appear. The set pieces are reasonably well executed although there are a few loose ends the film doesn't dwell on to explain.

The character development is helped by some good acting from the four leads and good support, notably from Christopher Meloni and Kiernan Shipka, elsewhere. The film also cleverly portrays the enduring beauty of nature even when a major species faces extinction. Perhaps the film lacks a little depth at times, meandering in events rather than the reasons for them, but it does what it says on the tin.

There has been a surfeit of post-apocalyptic films in the past few years and although this film is markedly different in many ways, it is not sufficiently so to make it really stand out. It is certainly watchable and gripping in places but it may leave you feeling a little empty at its conclusion although I am unsure it could have gone anywhere else given what goes before.

Overall it is done well and is worth adding to a list of films to see. It is by no means the worse of its genre and in some ways it is better than many. It deserves exposure. Six out of ten.

good thrilller!

Author: deatman9 from Canada
27 July 2011

I thought this movie was a pretty good thriller. It had loads of riveting scenes and some decent acting considering they made it with not a very high budget.

This movie is about four friends who are trying to survive this pandemic outbreak. Most of the worlds population has died of disease and they are doing their best to survive the coming apocalypse. As the movie progresses they have to come to terms with doing things to survive they may not do normally.

This is a great tale of humanity and what would happen to mankind if you take away society. This movie is not so much about the infection as it is about how the infection affects the people and the way they act towards others.

This is a good movie, i only say good because it could have used a bit more action though i did not find it boring in the slightest. If you like a good thriller with some very intense scenes then this one is for you.

Wait a minute...it's not a zombie flick...

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
25 April 2011

It's no zombie flick. Unlike most virus flicks, 'Carrier' focuses on the emotional and psychological aspect of the survivors especially their struggle when they have to leave one of their own behind (or even commit the act of taking their life) in order to ensure their own survival and the despair of the soon-to-be-deceased after they have been abandoned on their own to die a slow painful death. Yes, there are a few jump sequences and a few clichéd 'horror' scenes where the infected scare and chase the survivors. In my opinion, most of these sequences weren't even necessary. Yet, the writing is mostly good and the atmosphere is well-created (even though nothing outstanding). The cinematography too is adequate. The two female leads lacked character development. Even so, Piper Perabo manages to somewhat rise above, especially in her final sequences and Emily VanCamp fails to impress. Chris Pine is quite irritating while Lou Taylor Pucci carries the movie. Christopher Meloni does a brilliant job in a supporting role. 'Carriers' is quite a change from the traditional zombie flick and even though it doesn't match up to 'The Road', it's a decent effort.

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]