IMDb > "Cory in the House" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Cory in the House"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Cory in the House" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The Worst Disney Programme to Hit our Screens!

Author: conor-007 from Scotland
8 July 2007

What a big mistake! I hate this show. I think it is utter rubbish. There are so many problems with Cory in the House. Here are just a few.

1. The characters mirror those in That's So Raven. 2. The comedy is not at all funny. 3. The events, dialogue, and people are predictable. 4.Most of the characters are really irritating. 5. If you watch closely,it looks as though its all made up as it goes along.

Although it is a kid's show the stories are unrealistic. The President of Russia playing a dance-off game with a kid to keep Alaska. I don't think so!

Personally, I think Kyle Massey should stick to being a co-star.

What also irritates me is that damn studio audience who laugh at anything Kyle Massey or anyone says or does. They find everything incredibly funny.

Massey is too old and obese for Disney Channel now. Move on Kyle!

To be perfectly honest, if I was the head of Disney Channel I would pull it off our screens. There is only one thing I like about it, President Martinez which is why I gave it 2/10.

I love everything about Walt Disney's empire but this? Why!!!!

Thanks for reading.

A reflection on what "Disney" truly is...

Author: Ron Manahan from Australia
18 October 2009

I speak on behalf of all the dedicated fans and devotees to the late and great Walt Disney. This horrible excuse for a television show does not even deserve to fit under the sit-com genre, let alone call it a property of Disney. It is difficult for me to describe this programme when you've made a summarization of words that define "Cory in the House". These words could be passé, pitiful, pathetic, disgusting, inexperienced or whatever term fits within the same context. Anyway...

To be honest, after seeing the countless promotions for this show, I had high expectations, knowing the geniuses behind "That's So Raven" were in charge of production. It would seem like Cory Baxter would carry out his older sister Raven's legacy as THE Disney Channel character. But as the show was released to all Foxtel Digital subscribers here in Australia, alas... my mouth was flooded with vomit. The creator's attempt at creating seemingly humorous phrases with words no human being has ever heard of... very poor portrayal of characters, such as Newt Livingston's stupidity-without-reason and Sophie Martinez's vibrant yet vindictive personality... unrealistic scenarios that make it difficult for the audience to relate to their OWN scenarios, such as Cory Baxter's wish to become the president of the U.S.A. becoming a reality and in turn becoming the primary target of a race of extraterrestrials... everything... "Cory in the House" is basically a poor man's "Seinfeld"...

Every time I see this title under the day's schedule, I try to avoid it, of course. I peek at the episode rarely, because I believe that the producers have the potential to make this show Emmy-worthy. Then again, these beliefs of mine were stomped on by these lukewarm scenes that aren't worthy of being transmitted to a television operated with a crank... "Cory in the House" = TV's poison, bane and demise...

I'd rate ita 0 out of 10, but a 1 out of 10 is the lowest I can get...

god awful show.

Author: t_dub from United States
29 September 2007

i really don't understand how anyone can enjoy this show. the episodes are boring and anti climactic, the humor is absolutely atrocious and i don't know how anyone can laugh at the terrible jokes they write. meena's ridiculously accent that is so bad it isn't comparable to any known accent in the world, is so terrible that it makes me see her as a terrible actress just because of it, not to mention that she slips in and out of it constantly reinforcing the fact that she has absolutely no talent, and kyle massey is perhaps the biggest over actor i've ever witnessed. his facial expressions are so obnoxious and i find them infuriating, and he is quite possible one of the ugliest people i've ever seen. one thing that i don't find so bad about the show, however, is that the president is depicted as a complete moron just like our president. anyway--terrible show, don't even waste your time, unless you're really immature and have the ability to laugh at anything.

Second Worst Show on Disney

Author: degeorgetitanic from Honeoye, New York
4 September 2007

What can I say...this show is the second worst show ever to hit Disney. Suite Life of Zack and Cody is number one on the "Avoid at all costs" but this comes in close second. This is how... It has the third worst actor that is on Disney Channel, Kyle Massey, he was okay in Thats So Raven, but now he is just completely over-acting. And he says his lines in such a cocky way I wanna smack him across the screen. Dylan and Cole Sprouse take number one and two as the worst actors, but Massey is simply, not lead material, and comes in a close third. The plot is just horrible. Disney channel is a pretty easy place to have a show, no matter how horrible, be a hit, simply put a good looking actor for all the preteen girls to gawk at and boom, you have a hit (in this case I guess Newt is the good looking one.) The script and jokes...not even close to being remotely funny. All the jokes fall flat, and of course they have the little laugh track play over and over again to give the illusion it is funny, when in fact watching grass grow is more entertaining. The characters are bad. The sets look like cardboard The actors are horrible It is just a bad show all together. It doesn't even deserve one star.

Blah...

Author: jlhracer from United States
7 December 2007

I am not a big fan of this show. I occasionally watch it when there is nothing else on but seriously...it's so unrealistic. Kyle Massey was good on That's So Raven but he is worse on this stupid show.

I like some of the actors. Like the President and Sophie but I just can't watch it. It is an very overrated show. Not sure why when they first showed this, they showed it weekly because most of the time, new Disney shows get shown on weekends but instead, they had to show this weird show everyday.

Not a big fan of Newt. He's just plain stupid and doesn't do the best of job on here.

They should of never created this spin-off. Should of just stuck with That's So Raven because Kyle Massey isn't ready for an leading role.

Awful and not funny.

Author: eleonoraz from Italy
7 January 2010

Why did they have to do a spin-off from a show which wasn't so funny? Seriously. "Cory in the House" is not a funny show. First of all, I don't even understand why Cory is "in the House": the fact that his father is a cook to me is not a satisfying explanation. His father works at the White House, and so Cory (why not also the rest of the family?) can live there and do whatever he wants? ...I think there's a big hole in the plot! Then, all the jokes, all the characters and all the situation are unrealistic. I officially hate the little girl (the president's daughter): she's not cute, she's irritating, like most of the "cute little girls" in this kind of shows. Cory's friend are only stupid: their jokes don't make me laugh and to be honest I've had enough of stupid characters meant to be funny because lack of ideas! Why not to create an intelligent and witty one? One of the worst Disney Channel show ever.

Hate it

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
5 July 2010

I know hate is a very strong word, but I truly dislike this show. Don't get me wrong I love Disney, both their films and their shows but over the years they have well and truly gone downhill. Cory in the House is one of the worst shows ever to air on the Disney channel, in my opinion that is, it is even worse than Hannah Montana, which was a good example of a show that was entertaining for the wrong reasons. There is for me no entertainment value in Cory in the House.

So why do I dislike this show? Firstly, the sets and camera work are incredibly tacky. Secondly, the story lines are incredibly predictable and even unrealistic at times. Thirdly, the writing and jokes fall flat constantly and very unfunny. Fourthly, the characters are stereotypical and unlikeable, especially Cory, in fact Sophie is the only likable character, she is a cutie. Fifthly, the acting is awful, with little sense of comic timing or chemistry and the way Cory and Meena act is close to cringe worthy. Sixthly, the direction is stodgy.

Overall, in my opinion this is a horrible show, sorry I just find it predictable and unfunny. 1/10 Bethany Cox

Absolutely Brilliant, Changed my Life

Author: Adrian Clements Ho
6 January 2014

Based on the popular bestselling DS game "Cory in the House" , Nickelodeon has done it again, with their brilliant interpretation of "Cory Life"

Before I watched this show, I strived to find purpose in other Nickelodeon series, and found none. Cory in the House, on the other hand, has given me a purpose no other show could. Its given me a perspective on life that is undeniably euphoric.

I recommend this show to anyone who feels that emptiness that needs filling, and to anyone who wants to find their Cory.

Because he's in the house.

I'm sorry, I love this show. A lot. And I'm 23.

Author: heathery-snicket from United States
15 December 2008

I honestly can't understand why this show gets such poor reviews. It's become my favorite family sitcom in years and has me in stitches on a nightly basis. I'm really afraid of its lack of attention from Disney, though, and I don't really know what's to become of it. But I just want to state for the record that I love it, and here are my reasons why.

A lot of negative reviews have stated the show isn't realistic. Well, no, I don't think the life and times of the White House staff are as lightheartedly ridiculous, but let's look at the other popular Disney Channel shows of this ilk. Hannah Montana stars a girl doubling as an international pop sensation and a normal teenager, and NO ONE notices that they're the same person because of one terrible blonde wig. It's like not realizing Clark Kent is Superman because he wears glasses. Or That's So Raven, where the protagonist is psychic. Or the... Suite Lifeof Zack and Cody... On Deck. Yes, let's all go to school on a cruise ship. (For the record, I love Hannah Montana and enjoy That's So Raven. I could live without Zack and Cody, though.) So it's not really a valid argument to say the White House shtick is unrealistic. Of course it's unrealistic, as are most of the situations the gang gets themselves into. It's called absurdist humor. Maybe those in my generation are better with humor of this kind because we grew up watching trippy stuff like the Adventures of Pete and Pete. Now THAT was unrealistic.

I find the characters to be really strong. Cory is what's known as an anti-hero. His money-making rackets get him into a lot of misadventures and he has to scheme his way out of them (or just get caught and punished, as what often happens). But, as in most sitcoms, it's not the protagonist that makes the show but the cast of supporting characters. That's where I feel this show really shines. I love the dynamic of Cory, Meena and Newt. Meena's an exotic, strong female lead, with the added hilarity of a kooky ethnic background. (Everyone has that one friend with the bizarre foreign cultural background, that's the beauty of America!) Newt is my FAVORITE with his blonde emo locks. I agree that he has great comedic timing and, but the best part about him is the care the writers of the show take to give him depth. He could just be the stereotypical stupid best friend, but every so often you catch these glimpses of brilliance that suggest he's really just got a brain that goes entirely too fast for the rest of him (and everyone else for that matter).

In terms of other secondary characters, I like Sophie and her feisty cuteness -- she's got a mean streak but she often shows remorse or learns her own lessons, making her more likable than the same "evil little kid" archetype that appears in other shows. (Rico in Hannah Montana, anyone? Ugh.) I love the President, Cory's dad, and Samantha as the "adult" presence on the show, although I do kind of wish the writers would acknowledge that Victor and Cory's mom are clearly separated and he can hook up with Sam. (Weirdest yet most endearing pairing ever?! But this is the Disney Channel, so I doubt it'll happen...) All in all, this is a fun and hilarious romp in a what-if scenario envisioning a nation that is a lot happier with their leader than we currently are. I really hope Disney decides to give it the attention it deserves. (Or at least that Jason Dolley keeps appearing in things, because he's a very talented little cutie...)

What a RIPOFF

Author: starrfish69 from United States
26 September 2013

I take it they were trying to do a boyish, more masculine version of the successful "That's So Raven". First let me just say I find in interesting how this show marks Disney Channel's first ever spin-off show to another Disney Channel series and yet it FAILED, big time. This is a complete insult to "That's So Raven" and to Kyle Massey and Rondell Sheridan.

First of all, the theme song sounds HORRIBLE. I hate it. When I watch the show, I would skip the intro so I don't have to listen to that horrible theme.

The only episode I actually cared for was the "That's So in the House" episode that Raven cameo'd in, and that episode needed a bit of work. I mean, sure, I tried watching other episodes but the show is not at all watchable in the slightest, what a waste of a production. I'm surprised this show even made it to Season 2! No, really, how did CITH make it to Season 2? I'm dying to know!

To sum up, I agree with all the other negative reviews of Cory in the House, the acting is weak, the comedy is either overdone or weak, just... just a completely unwatchable show altogether. I mean, I love Disney shows and movies, but, Disney, please step it up.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]