IMDb > "Ugly Betty" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Ugly Betty"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Ugly Betty" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Great new show

Author: jazzkinnison from United States
30 September 2006

I just watched "Ugly Betty" Thurs. night and I have to say that I think it is a wonderful new series.

Star America Ferrara makes the show completely worthwhile. I have seen most of the new show's that have premiered this season so far and, in my opinion, Ferrara gives hands-down the best new female performance out there. The portrait that she paint's as Betty is realistic, humorous, and makes you feel for her in everything that she does or wants to do. I doubt there is anybody that won't root for this lovely girl (and yes, she is lovely and MORE, even in the "Betty" get-up because she is such a sweet, intelligent, accomplished, and kind person).

The show as a whole is a bit formulaic, but what show isn't up to a certain degree? The rest of the characters are pretty well done (most especially the girls who become Betty's friends at the magazine), though it will take some time to make them as interesting as the main character.

My wife wanted to watch this first episode more than I did, but I'm very glad I watched with her. This will easily be classified as a "chick show" but I believe that anybody will like it once they give it half a chance. Everybody has felt the way Betty feels at some point in there life & that will be a drawing point into her world, I think.

All I can say is WATCH IT. It won't be for everyone but many will be pleasantly surprised. America Ferrara is brilliant. I think she should get her Emmy speech ready now.

Wonderful and heartwarming!

Author: Mrs214 from United States
2 October 2006

Okay, so "wonderful" and "heartwarming" are typical clichés. I did not want to get addicted to another show because it always seems the shows I enjoy end up getting canceled (anyone remember that little gem "Arrested Development?").

Ugly Betty is a great show. I figured when I saw the teasers for it that all the funny scenes were in the commercial and there would be nothing left in the show, but I gave it a chance. I thoroughly enjoyed watching. Salma Hayeck was hilarious in her cameo. Vanessa Williams is E-V-I-L! She seemed to relish in her role! America is amazing as Betty. She plays the part with sensitivity and does not make Betty seem cartoonish, which would have been very easy given the "ugly girl" costume she's wearing.

I will definitely continue to watch Ugly Betty. I am looking forward to seeing what kinds of situations Betty gets into in the future!

Ugly Betty: A Diamond In The Rough

Author: bondgirl6781 from Florida, USA
28 September 2006

I fell in love with this show! Executively produced by Salma Hayek and starring the always lovely America Ferrera as Betty Suarez, a young woman who breaks into the fashion industry as an assistant to the editor-in-chief of Mode magazine Daniel Meade (sexy Eric Mabius). Betty is sweet, smart, and always on top of things, but of course she is not the most beautiful girl, but when they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder they were not kidding. Squaring off against Daniel Meade is the conniving Wilhemina (Vanessa Williams...I smell Emmy) who covets the title of editor-in-chief. I just saw the pilot episode and this show is a winner and I hope it stays on the air because of America Ferrera who is lovely and spirited as Betty. She is without question the female heroine that all young women need in times where women are expected to be sexy and beautiful under superficial means.

Ugly Betty Rocks

Author: bennettmbradley from United States
1 December 2006

This show is bright, innovative, and extremely clever. It may be a spin off of a Mexican Soap but hey, if it works, why fix it. The characters blend so well together and America has proved herself to be a very talented woman. Two shows I refuse to miss each week, Lost and Ugly Betty, and now not necessarily in that order. Betty's worries between her home life and work are what most everyday average person goes through. She doesn't have weekly life altering occurrences like most title characters. Betty is not hopping into bed with a new guy every week like all the other whorish female characters on prime time television. She just tries to deal with life as it happens which is what we all try to achieve. I am so very glad that that the producers took a chance with this show.

A show worth the watch

Author: oh_lala from United Kingdom
4 February 2007

OK..so I am from the UK and have cheated a little, got my American friend to send me all the first season of ugly Betty and I love it :)

When I first heard about ugly Betty I thought...yes a show about a girl who isn't drop dead gorgeous - forgive me for being so clique - but I felt I could relate to her. Although point 1 Betty is NOT ugly, sure she has glasses, who doesn't now a days? braces, with the most perfect teeth I have ever seen and some questionable eyebrows but who cares? To me Betty is not ugly! Let's just get that out the way.

This show is one of the best American show I have seen in a long time -apart from DH which I very much enjoy. The characters are fabulous, Betty a sweetheart who everyone would love as a friend, Daniel some eye candy, Willamina, I was surprised how much I have grown to like her over the season. Amanada and Marc are a fabulous double act, can I join please? Christina :D:D being a Scot myself I love her and even though some characters make fun of her being Scottish, like calling her "braveheart" I love the character and the jokes about her accent :) The show to me has everything, and I am not just saying this but in the very first episode I laughed, I cried (at people laughing at Betty) and overall I was left with a warm feeling, that my dreams are possible and that beauty is on the inside also I was left wanting more.

The only one thing "bad" I have to say about it is that the message "beauty is on the inside, your dreams are possible" is smacked a bit too much in the audiences face, I think it was at least once an episode - we get it.

Overall, Ugly Betty is an enjoyable sitcom, that although people may be put off by its warm side has a great storyline with most of the central characters...my only request for season 2 more Christina

Ugly Betty

Author: dakotamike5555 from United States
21 December 2006

This is one of the best programs on television. Its such a refreshing break from all the other garbage that is on t.v. today. What I find funny is the title "Ugly Betty" In spite of her bushy eye brows, braces and glasses and the way they dress her....when she gets treated so badly by all the beautiful people, it turns out that Betty is the beautiful one and all the others are Ugly. What a wonderful team of actors. I do hope this program will be on for a VERY long time and I hope the show sweeps the Golden Globes. I think the first season should come out on DVD now so I can add this program to my library. Two BIG thumbs WAY up on this one.

Quirky and funny

Author: dalemarshall from Aurora, NY
30 September 2006

Not the usual network fare. The story may be an old one, but the cast delivers and there are some amusing barbs that strike home. The Hispanic-American environment for Betty's family gives the formula new life, with true-to-life touches like the telenovela playing on the TV at home. Mark Indelicato as Betty's nephew is believable with a subtle touch in a role that could easily be overplayed for cheap laughs. Vanessa Williams gets a chance to vamp as the conniving, power-hungry rival for the company, and Gina Gershon offers a wonderful parody -- or is it? -- of an aging supermodel. The Beautiful People -- and the less-than-perfect who also inhabit their world, however under-appreciated -- are here in force.

Funny and insightful if sometimes a little clichéd

Author: dlee287 from United States
29 October 2006

A dramedy with a lot of heart. The humor can be pretty subtle which makes it more effective and does not detract from the story line. It also has a moral point of view that shows that the consequences of behavior can be long lasting and far reaching, and that other people are affected even when you want to believe that no one else is being hurt. The fact that Salma Hayeck, who is one of the producers, is willing to make fun of herself by being shown in an over the top Latino soap opera on the TV in Betty's house that her father is hooked on also adds to the levity and fun of the show. The ongoing story thread about Fey is a good hook, since you keep watching to find out what is going on. You find out a little more about the plot line each episode, much like a good mystery.

Great New Show

Author: cself93 from United States
22 February 2007

This show is definitely the best new show this season. It was adapted from a Hispanic show. I can see it winning best comedy series at the Emmy's as well as best actress for America Ferrera. America is great. The ensemble is awesome! I think also there might be a nomination for Ana Ortiz and Mark Indelicato. Vanessa Williams is also great as the overbearing creative-director. It's fun to see the glamor-obsessed socialites. It's also people from the business making fun of themselves which is hilarious! It's a great show. Soon you get addicted and have to watch it. A lot of fun to watch. Just wait, September is the month of the Emmy's!!

Doesn't know what it wants to be.

Author: NotorietyH from Ireland
6 March 2007

Ugly Betty is a very frustrating show following 'Ugly" Betty Suarez's foray into the world of fashion working as an assistant to the Editor of high fashion magazine Mode.

There's enough potential for a pretty engaging television show and it is watchable. However there are many problems. Mainly that the creators and writers don't seem to know what kind of show they want to make.

There are elements of over-the-top bordering on surreal comedy, cutting satire, family drama, conspiracy drama. All these elements can't possibly work in a television show. It really stretches any suspension of disbelief when in one episode you can have a ridiculously over the top and unrealistic slapstick/surreal comedy even be followed by a situation where a father admits to his daughters that he killed a man years ago and could be deported. It's ridiculous. The over the top comedy takes from he satire, the satire takes from the over-the-top comedy, the satire and comedy take from the family drama and then to top it all off there is a huge conspiracy and cover-up plot line which takes from everything else. This makes Ugly Betty a very scrappy show that seems to be unable to decide which outfit it likes best, so puts on every item of clothing it owns, which as we all know, doesn't work. How's that for a metaphor?

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]