IMDb > "Shark" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Shark"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Shark" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Let James Woods be James Woods!

Author: ancatdoh from United States
29 September 2006

I've seen the first two episodes, and within the confines of a one hour network TV lawyer drama, Shark is very good, and for James Woods fans, lots of great James Woods moments. Dialogue sounds like it was written for him, and we get that great Woods sarcasm and slashing style.

I had long since abandoned network TV, but this one had a pretty good premise and James Woods is perfectly cast.

Some great chemistry with all these egos (DA, LAPD brass, defense lawyers), and the daughter adds some depth and a human side his character tries hard to hide.

Sure, there's overlap with his character in the McMartin Pre-School movie, but still worth putting down the remote for an hour on Thursday nights.

A must see for James Woods fans, and this show could earn him some new ones.

So far so good.....

Author: ceche from Italy
20 October 2006

It's really quite early to tell (series 1, episode 5), but so far this show is excellent. James Woods simply rules the show with his overly sarcastic and yet compassionate character, he should be considered for an Emmy. However, his co-stars are also very good, each one of the young lawyers working alongside Stark represents an aspect of the Shark himself and the actors are very good at conveying that. I strongly recommend this show to "Cold Case" fans, as there are some similar elements: flashbacks showing the play out of the crime, gripping turns of events and especially a lot of charisma from the main character & co. The script is very effective in guiding the viewers through the legal (or not) ramifications of each case, managing to keep them stuck to their seats without the aid of distracting tricks. Everything revolves around Stark's natural habitat, the courtroom, however the underlining story lines are not suffocated by it, nor do they distract the viewers from the main focus. Finally, last but not least, the humour is fantastic, the jokes are always original and witty, not to mention delivered in a perfectly clever way, through the truly masterful performance of James Woods. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I thought this was worth the effort, I hope you will as well.

Unique, well scripted show

Author: familyguyrocks-1 from United States
7 December 2006

I love this show for many reasons. One, I love James Woods. He's a great actor and does a terrific job playing the role of a determined ex-defense attorney becoming exactly what he used to defend his clients against. Two, I love the story lines and how fast paced this show is. From the beginning, each episode leaves you on the edge of your seat waiting for more. There are so many emotional elements in each episode that'll make you laugh, cry, become upset, and become anxious all within 10 minutes of one another. Lastly, this show offers what most crime/law dramas don't offer: The personal lives of the main characters (Danielle Panabaker does a terrific job with her role also). You will not be disappointed with this show, it is one of the best dramas out there right now. I really hope CBS will hold on to this show for at least 5 seasons or more.

Woods sets it apart

Author: glennsouthall from United Kingdom
9 December 2007

Shark is a classy, although formulaic investigative/courtroom drama series joining a host of similar efforts coming out of the States, such as CSI, Boston Legal, Law and Order and so on. The premise is nice....former top defence lawyer turned champion of the people for self-redemption...and the performances, scripts, production etc is of the high standard one would expect in this well proved line. But what sets it apart and propels it to a different level is James Woods. Better casting for the part of the sharp, supremely confident and wise-cracking ("Don't shoot, this is a new suit")lawyer is impossible to imagine. In fact it is because he is so good that I rate the series as a 9 and not a 10. How does that work? Well, without Wood's brilliance the few scenes in which he does not appear seem unduly flat and tame by comparison. Unfair, I know, but Woods is that good.

Sadly, the series is a one trick pony (crime-suspect-twist-shark prevails) which means it can't run forever, so get it while you can and immerse yourself in witnessing a true master of his craft revelling in a vehicle tailor made for his talents.

Great character, great setup... great show?

Author: Grinand from United States
17 August 2006

The pilot for "Shark" was directed by Spike Lee. I honestly couldn't tell. There's nothing about it that is particularly cinematic or edgy.

But the premise is pretty neat. A highly paid, highly successful defense lawyer - James Woods - is forced into service on the other side of the barrister. He is now a district attorney for the state of California. Plus, he's asked to go after the same celebrities he used to defend.

So the episode plots of "Shark" could have it both ways - indulge in the scintillating glitz and seedy glamour of Hollywood while simultaneously bringing those sinners down every week. All with a great, snarky, brash anti-hero.

Unfortunately, the last third of the pilot started to get a little sappy and predictable (the main character begins to soften a little too quickly for my taste, no doubt helped by his unrealistically wise and aware daughter), but I still have hope.

Beginning of Shark

Author: writer997-1 from United States
29 October 2006

James Wood plays that quick, no nonsense type of personality that gives credence to what real Prosecutors are like. Dig deep, get every tidbit of information you can before you go after the person being accused. That is what the real team does..they go to every person that the one accuse of doing the crime has had contact with and follow every lead until they are exhausted. No clue left unturned. I do believe this is going to an exciting series if given the chance. I realize there are many law and order type films out there, but this one seems to be more realistic. It not only goes into the court room, it goes into the life of the Prosecutor with his family and the problems that his profession has caused. Too many hours working, missing too many special occasions etc; I will continue to watch it unfold and see where it leads us.

One man domination.

Author: haildevilman from Tokyo, Japan
2 October 2007

James Woods has played everything from cops to serial killers to politicians. His intensity makes him one to watch. Thanks to 'Shark" I can watch him weekly.

Woods owns this show from beginning to end. NO one else could make this work anywhere near as well. And the best part is his supporting cast doesn't seems to mind just following along.

That said, his support does a great job. And is it just me, or does Henry "Isaac" Simmons resemble WWE's "The Rock?" Woods' snarky attitude combined with the character's never-say-die motif make every scene he's in a joy to watch. And the trial scenes are a blast.

Welcome to TV James. Keep the greatness going.

Shark

Author: Julia from United Kingdom
13 May 2007

This is the sort of thing i've been waiting to see for a long time..

Recently crime and/or drama series have started to become repetitive. They seem to have lost some of their edge. 'Shark' was obviously made to blow out the cobwebs.. very refreshing..!

James Woods is excellent as 'Shark'.. very believable as the 'dad'.. It will be interesting to see how he balances that with his work.. However i hope the series WON'T be concentrating too much on that..

I like the way the story progresses towards a huge ending.. you know its going to be exciting..! The courtroom scenes are really believable, very intense..

Extremely gripping stuff.. About time too..

Shark is Seasoned ***1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
23 October 2007

James Woods, a fabulous actor, has a major hit on his hands with the television show "Shark." He is just magnificent as a fast-talking, brilliant former defense attorney, who had a change of heart when he got a client off only for the latter to subsequently kill his wife.

As a divorced man, with a very precocious daughter, Woods is engaging as he gets his staff to battle crime literally. He is a forever driving force with his group. Nonetheless, his actions pay off.

Danielle Pannabaker co-stars as his daughter, very bright but not that perceptive. At the end of each show, the stories generally focus about her. The girl knows how to get in trouble. I hope that tragedy will not ensue.

Each week we are presented with a murder case. The obvious always doesn't pan out.

Where was an Emmy nomination for Woods last season?

Woods is great but that's about all

Author: slapdab from United Kingdom
28 May 2007

This is an excellent vehicle to show how good an actor James Woods is. He carries it and when he is on screen you don't look at anyone else.

Jeri Ryan, Danielle Panabaker and Henry Simmons are OK. Unfortunately, the actors playing his young assistants appear to have been chosen for their looks rather than their acting skills. They are generally bland and uninteresting. Sarah Carter is the worst - you would think she is on a catwalk. She always seems to be trying to show off her looks and dare not have a expression on her face unless it cracks. Is she a shop window dummy or something?

However, I would like to make a special mention for Alexis Cruz: he is inexperienced but he makes an effort. I wish him well.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]