IMDb > "Jericho" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jericho"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jericho" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 18: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Jericho S1 thru S2 ep 5 -spoilers

Author: hshowe from Los Angeles
12 March 2008

Online episodes with audio commentary option make a command DVD experience out of new episodes where a lot of stuff happens very fast. Perfectly cast, this show has one of the best ensemble casts working on TV today. Unlike "LOST", which keeps each character hovering in front of a mirror for way too long, Jericho delivers plot guns blazing. The folks in Jericho are on their own "island".

Jericho is the show that could. What could have been only a mildly interesting sci fi adventure became one of the best on TV in the league of serial shows. Jericho's recovery after the bombs go off and the mystery of Jake staying there and how the town survives is involving. This could happen, for real. The characters are all delivered poignantly. But Season 2 explodes with drama and packed action. Not one second of screen time is wasted, and S2 makes all the character and plot of Season one pay off every minute.

Jake returns to his hometown of Jericho after years of absence and "subcontracting". The bombs going off and the weird aftermath spark his curiosity and suspicion. Jake's relationship with his family and friends goes from estrangement to enforced co-residence. Jake takes a stand and rewrites his own character, meeting demands of the apocalyptic world in the company of familiar strangers.

Many other people come to grips with the new microworld reality of Jericho. Their beginnings are now the fabric of relationships that ensures survival. Others are greatly affected by the decisions Jake makes. But unlike LOST, which centers around Jack, Jericho combines each character as its own separate unit that contributes to the whole.

By s2, Jericho citizens in the minds of viewers have a cogent history. People who were suspicious of each other and wary of getting involved in S1 are making life and death agreements and performing handgun law decisions in every minute of s2.

The stakes have developed to knife point, every corner holds a reckoning. The Jennings & Rall company, the new Cheyenne government, Major Beck's possible co-option as a rebellion resource, and Hawkin's curation of the remaining bomb are potboilers. If "Jericho" is any indication of what viewers can support and get from TV versus the "Bionic Woman" debacle, CBS and showrunners should listen to what viewers want.

Stay tuned!

Why did we just start getting episodes?

Author: Ihavewatchedthis from United States
19 February 2008

Last week Sci-fi Chanel started with the pilot and 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 so I just caught 1.5 today and it announced airtime on CBS tomorrow. I looked at the schedule and it says new, OK I had to come check it out at IMDb and found out it has aired sense 2006 and this is the first time I have herd of it and I read my TV guide. Oh and tomorrow episode is 2.2 and I'm not sure if I want to jump 2 seasons out of sequence just to watch it.

I myself find Jericho a lot more interesting then the terminator re-make that plays opposite of it that I had been watching because nothing else was on so I decided to give it a try, now that script is bad the charters are not even trying to be like the original personalities and the script is predictable where the script for Jericho is a lot fresher, maybe a little slow but with curiosity it has my intrigue.

Low brow, low quality & low budget...

Author: aforandy
15 August 2012

...and very popular with the fans. I'm not sure this is how Kansas wants to portray itself internationally. From a commercial point-of-view it seems ideal, as there's little need for expensive creative input. Its just that all the characters seem to have suffered a loss of higher brain function, an impression increased by the implausibility of certain plot elements, plus that occasionally its unintentionally amusing. And nothing much happens that hasn't been done previously in well-made post-apocalyptic TV shows going back decades. I am a little surprised that some of the better-known actors would agree to do this, although Gerald McRaney collapses more than once before episode 8. Its just generally slightly dumb. I keep thinking a new but intelligent character will appear, with his own scriptwriter, and take over. 8/10 from 26,000 votes is a worrying statistic.

Started off GOOD then fell off

Author: James McCoy from United States
21 May 2012

**** SPOILERS******* I loved the first season. it was very interesting and had me glued. I rented the show from Netflix. Then I rented season 2 and once they added liberal politics into the show I lost interest. I did finish it out since there was only 7 episodes but I would not have come back for a season 3 or if season 2 had a full run. Cant understand why Hollywood has to ram politics into their shows. once again America is EVIL. they never make shows where God forbid its a terror attack by middle east terrorists. Its always the WHITE patriotic American loving who attack America. I am not saying America dos not have evil people or we are without sin but a great show was ruined by leftist politics. I know I am prob in the minority here on IMDb but that is just my opinion

slower than Lost

Author: aletoledo from United States
10 July 2010

Another commenter said it best when he called this a soap opera, because that's what it is. The focus is on interpersonal relationships and not much plot. It sounds like a great premise, but they only release one small plot point every episode and the other 95% of the time is spent on relationship building. You know you can fast forward through a scene when a couple of characters sit down, because it'll be a 3-4 minute discussion about feelings and it doesn't alter the plot at all.

The TV series Lost had the same kind of methodology, where they would release a little more info each week. The thing with Lost though was that everything was just so wacky that they gave you a bunch of plot points each episode and still there was something fresh to develop in the next one. The problem with Jericho is that it's pretty straight forward on what might happen, so they had to withhold too much and ration it out slowwwwlllly. If they played purely plot content, the story would fit into a hour and a half movie. Actually I bet this would have been a great movie, but they went with a TV series. I suppose it's difficult to take a movie plot and stretch it out 30-40 hours, so I suppose it' understandable that the spare time would be filled with interpersonal relationships.

If you're a sci-fi fan or like post-apocalyptic stories, I'd stay away from this. Your time is better spent watching Firefly again.

Unbelievable Series!!!

Author: Jerichofan2009 from United States
30 September 2009

A most remarkable series that should never have been considered for cancellation! All of the other shows that merely contain sex that are currently on TV have nothing against this amazing fight for survival in post-holocaust America. Skeet Ulrich provides a profound insight into the rise from outcast to leader. An amazing display of writing, directing, choreography and acting by all the cast sets the standard that surpasses even Lost (and I am a Lost fanatic). If you wish to support the continuation of this series in the form of comics (and they are well illustrated), the series debuts in October 2009. Get your copy of Season 3: Civil War today!!!

Greatest show i have ever seen!!

Author: jcurl3680 from United States
9 September 2009

This show changed how many of us in this country think of television. It provides an honest approach to a real drama. The show demanded your attention from week to week. I miss this show to be honest. It gave me the feeling of being inside it as it progressed. I wish CBS would reconsider canceling it, but i understand that numbers are everything. Seasons 1&2 are now available on netflix, and i would encourage anyone who has not yet seen it to do so. This show will provide a picture of what could happen if the govt. ever became too corrupt. I personally think that this show could have become a multi-season epic thriller if it had been given the chance to develop the storyline further.

Jericho Fans Crying Out for Quality Programming

Author: Susan Howell from United States
7 April 2008

The series Jericho is the finest program that has been aired on the networks in a very long time. Jericho is THE show that brought me back to network viewing. In a time where "unreality" and soap opera "who is sleeping with who" is considered quality programming there is an outcry from viewers screaming "We are not going to take this anymore". I do not intend to slow down when I reach 49 so why does Nielsen consider that as the cutoff age for the target age group? Shoot, even the government raised the retirement age years ago so why can't Nielsen see that people are living longer healthier lives and spending their hard earned dollars??? Thank you Jericho for giving me my voice back...you are a superb show and don't let Nielsen's faulty numbers tell you otherwise!!!

A compelling serial drama, but what makes "Jericho" really special is that it manages to inspire the imagination

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
30 March 2008

Network: CBS; Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Content Rating: TV-PG (for violence); Available: DVD and syndication; Perspective: Contemporary (star range: 1 - 4);

Seasons Reviewed: Complete Series (2 seasons)

The small Kansas town of Jericho is changed forever when a nuclear bomb goes off in a neighboring city, cutting off power, communication, resources, severing the city from outside world. Jake Green (Skeet Ulrich, Scream), son of the town's mayor (Gerald McRaney), who was just passing through to pay respects to his grandfather after 5 years off the radar, now finds himself trapped in the town and forced into a leadership role. As Jericho tries to sustain itself - dealing with food and water shortages, citizen uprisings as well as unscrupulous neighboring towns - it slowly gets the news that the mushroom cloud was the result of a terrorist attack that took out 23 major American cities. The United States of America as we know it has now ceased to exist. Hiding out in Jericho is Robert Hawkins (Lennie James), an even more mysterious character who appears to know everything about the attack, but for what purpose?

Jericho" is a rarity on CBS, an intricately unfolded serial series with half the characters clouded in mystery and a true respect for the intelligence of the audience. Hip and original, it plays like the geriatric network's answer to "Lost". While the show tends to have filler (as nobody can accuse "Lost" of not having) and occasionally feels "too CBS" reverting back to good-old-fashioned down home love stories and McRaney giving speeches about togetherness that could have been out of "Promised Land", the show never fails to deliver a knock-out twist or revelation that kept me rocketing to the next episode. The premise is frightening, original particularly in serial series format and well-executed.

While Ulrich's Jake is the clear lead here, the intrigue of the series from start to finish is carried on the back of Lennie James' Robert Hawkins. The slow roll-out of what this character knows and what his role in the larger story is smartly written and played like a fiddle by James in what should be a head-turning performance.

What makes "Jericho" among those special shows is that it manages to capture the imagination. It creates an alternate universe and immersing us in it every week, which for me maybe the one thing above all else that gets people addicted to a show and keeps them loyal to it. Loyal enough to demand it's return after a first season cancellation. Loyal enough to make it one of the most popular downloads on iTunes, to give it legs long enough to make the rounds on the Sci-Fi channel and Universal HD after just one season. It's a kind of loyalty that "Deal or No Deal" or "American Idol" will never know.

If season 1 seems top-heavy with set-up and filler, it still delivers plenty of post-apocalyptic chills and moments of solid B-movie action thrills (Jake and half the townspeople outrun a cloud of acid rain in the immensely fun 2nd episode). With only a 6 episode commitment the truncated 2nd season wastes no time. It ramps up the intensity in a big way, becoming a sweaty thrill-ride of anti-government hysteria.

"Jericho" works least as a character drama, but best as a compelling serial series when dealing with the terrorist attack storyline. It works as a post-apocalyptic adventure and as a "what if" scenario thinker. What truly makes the show so great lies in this segment, but to explain it would give away crucial plot points I wouldn't dare reveal. But I must say that the series' themes of patriotism and fighting for freedom manage to perfectly tap into the current public sentiment towards our own federal government, one that appears as either unable and unwilling to listen to the public as the corrupt government that emerges in this show. As a satire, it couldn't be more timely which begs even more questions as to why "Jericho" didn't attract a bigger following.

I've grown complacent. It's been a while since a really good show has been yanked off the air before it's time, just as it was starting to realize it's vision. Jericho is another worthy rallying cry to wake up another segment of the viewing public to just how archaic and fundamentally flawed the current network rating system is and how the judgments of the network brass that cater more toward drive-by viewers who couldn't care less than their actual fan base.

That said, the ending of the series is completely satisfying, wrapping up the character arcs of the two men well enough and offering a promise of things to come that is probably out of the scope of it's network TV budget. But it was one hell of a ride while it lasted and if you didn't catch it the first time around, it is well worth seeking out.

* * * / 4

I cry

Author: castums from Russian Federation
27 March 2008

Jericho was a good serial, it is very a pity that have closed it. This serial very much liked people also many it have grown fond.And I do not understand as it is possible to spit on people which this serial it is pleasant, in the country where people demand continuation and to them refuse and speak that a serial not rating, there can not be a freedom of speech, freedom of a choice.And people where they would not live always should look and listen to that that is pleasant to them instead of that that impose to them any ratings which it is possible to forge simply!!!! It is my cry from the heart and my opinion and I not to whom do not impose it!!!! Thanks for attention.