IMDb > "Jericho" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jericho"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Jericho" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 18: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

An Entertaining Eye Opener

Author: Lexy S from CO, United States
30 January 2013

Jericho is full of action that keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what in the world is going to happen next. It also has some romantic aspects to it, especially involving the main character Jake, that giving a hear warming feel as well. The aspect that really got me though was how it appears that the sequence of events that take place through out the series is something that could possibly really happen. Living the the States I know that we are pretty spoiled and that in the little over two hundred years of white history here the wars that actually took place within our country are minor compared to things that happen on an almost daily basis elsewhere. The American Revolution and The American Civil War don't hold a candle to being bombed every other day or so. With this in mind the events depicted in Jericho, I think, are something that, yes we can find entertaining now, but may have somethings we should keep in mind in case we need to question similar things later on.

Over all this is just an amazing show that I personally am really hoping that Netflix & CBS are able to come to an agreement to get a new season done on Netflix soon. Cast & Crew members have already said they would love to be back at Jericho and they're also hoping the talks go well.

Let's just say if Netflix & CBS aren't careful, I've been seeing a lot of fans online gathering together again...

NUTS! http://www.savingjericho.com/Campaign/campaign.html

Glued in front of my TV

Author: Erwino Ouwerkerk from Haarlem, The Netherlands
11 January 2010

Jericho had me glued in front of my TV. So much I wanted to know what would happen next, that I didn't want to be clever enough to go to bed because I had to rise early the next morning. The last series that did that to me was 24. And Jericho is as good as that. A very scary scenario of American men with power and without conscience, who easily kill millions of fellow-country-men and -women by having nuclear bombs explode in most of the country's major city's, to get what they want. But of course there is a small town with people who do not want to take the new balance of power for granted. Together with a former CIA-agent they stand up to the new government. The victory starts in Jericho. But there are only one and a half seasons to get the job done. As some people at CBS who do not know the value of good television of which is so little already, just stopped it. It's a bloody shame.

season 2 GREAT; season one mostly soap op rah

Author: beregic (beregic@msn.com) from Canada
5 December 2008

having been watching both seasons back to back and my interest in general being well done suspense, i would venture to say that season 2 is net superior to season 1. season 2 is almost a tight packed investigative "police" action with plot moving always forward, the tension is well done, the soap op rah almost entirely removed. in season 1 there are just too many slow, irrelevant scenes, as into building an actual effective and enjoyable plot( too many fill ups, no wonder that the show has been initially being canceled..)

Lennie James carries the serial almost entirely by himself , both as character as much as acting.in season 2 Skeet Ulrich is also quiet great, the problem in season 1 being that this actor is miscast ed. Ashley Scott is just the cliché, "requiered" blonde that some producers thought it might increase the show's rating ONLY(i found her character and the actress quiet annoying if not worse).

one can skip to season 2 easily, a summary of season 1 being more then enough, if you, as a viewer is interested in suspense conspiracy tension/suspense.

Jericho S1 thru S2 ep 5 -spoilers

Author: hshowe from Los Angeles
12 March 2008

Online episodes with audio commentary option make a command DVD experience out of new episodes where a lot of stuff happens very fast. Perfectly cast, this show has one of the best ensemble casts working on TV today. Unlike "LOST", which keeps each character hovering in front of a mirror for way too long, Jericho delivers plot guns blazing. The folks in Jericho are on their own "island".

Jericho is the show that could. What could have been only a mildly interesting sci fi adventure became one of the best on TV in the league of serial shows. Jericho's recovery after the bombs go off and the mystery of Jake staying there and how the town survives is involving. This could happen, for real. The characters are all delivered poignantly. But Season 2 explodes with drama and packed action. Not one second of screen time is wasted, and S2 makes all the character and plot of Season one pay off every minute.

Jake returns to his hometown of Jericho after years of absence and "subcontracting". The bombs going off and the weird aftermath spark his curiosity and suspicion. Jake's relationship with his family and friends goes from estrangement to enforced co-residence. Jake takes a stand and rewrites his own character, meeting demands of the apocalyptic world in the company of familiar strangers.

Many other people come to grips with the new microworld reality of Jericho. Their beginnings are now the fabric of relationships that ensures survival. Others are greatly affected by the decisions Jake makes. But unlike LOST, which centers around Jack, Jericho combines each character as its own separate unit that contributes to the whole.

By s2, Jericho citizens in the minds of viewers have a cogent history. People who were suspicious of each other and wary of getting involved in S1 are making life and death agreements and performing handgun law decisions in every minute of s2.

The stakes have developed to knife point, every corner holds a reckoning. The Jennings & Rall company, the new Cheyenne government, Major Beck's possible co-option as a rebellion resource, and Hawkin's curation of the remaining bomb are potboilers. If "Jericho" is any indication of what viewers can support and get from TV versus the "Bionic Woman" debacle, CBS and showrunners should listen to what viewers want.

Stay tuned!

Why did we just start getting episodes?

Author: Ihavewatchedthis from United States
19 February 2008

Last week Sci-fi Chanel started with the pilot and 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 so I just caught 1.5 today and it announced airtime on CBS tomorrow. I looked at the schedule and it says new, OK I had to come check it out at IMDb and found out it has aired sense 2006 and this is the first time I have herd of it and I read my TV guide. Oh and tomorrow episode is 2.2 and I'm not sure if I want to jump 2 seasons out of sequence just to watch it.

I myself find Jericho a lot more interesting then the terminator re-make that plays opposite of it that I had been watching because nothing else was on so I decided to give it a try, now that script is bad the charters are not even trying to be like the original personalities and the script is predictable where the script for Jericho is a lot fresher, maybe a little slow but with curiosity it has my intrigue.

Could have been so much better.

Author: Agra Kapindaman from Swaziland
25 October 2015

The idea was fine but they went astray. Instead of sticking with the main story line they decided to meander into soapy territory far too often.

There are some good lessons to be learned from this show, though I doubt that anyone in a position to make decisions to implement contingency plans for small rural towns would have watched this show.

For me, the worst thing about this type of show is how stupid the characters can be. They often seem to make snap decisions without proper discussion. And what discourse there is often ends in bitterness. It just makes me want to bang their heads together and tell them to use a bit of logical thinking.

I know it's the current way of editing shows but switching so frequently from one story line to another for a couple of minutes then back to the previous story line becomes annoying. One minute your watching a tense life threatening situation unfold then your switched to a scene where someones thinking about what their life could have been.

Verdict: Has its moments of greatness but also has

many frustrating/annoying moments.

Great background plot, poor writing but improved markedly in second season.

Author: Owen5-1 from Australia
29 June 2012

I really looked forward to this series: bought it unseen. It had a very good background in theory although the typical leftist Holloywood would never dare use the obvious suspects for nuclear holocaust. Instead its internal terrorist groups and "religious" fanatics"(probably Christians seeing as they are so violent *sarcasm*). I regard myself not as a survival expert, but one who has a keen interest in such and am aware of the possibility which could always be around the next corner for all of us.

The sets are realistic, the background plot is quite good and acting is superb with everyone pulling their weight but the scriptwriter was pulled out of kindergarten and it shows badly. I lurched between hilarious laughter at the stupidity of the actions/words forced by the script to outbursts of disbelieving bad temper with "you IDIOT!!" being directed not at the poor actor doing his/her best but the idiot who wrote the script. This person has NO IDEA of the realities of a post holocaust world nor of the priorities required to survive and we have actions and decisions that are so stupid I felt actually embarrassed for and really sorry for the actors who by the very effort they placed in it made this a 5 initially. With a decent script and less emphasis on the emotional problems of the townfolk (adapt & cope, or die is the rule in such a world)this show could easily have been a 9 or 10. As a comparison some of the ludicrous plots of the first Star Trek are works of art by comparison. My wife watched both seasons in a week and enjoyed it. I am near the end of the first season after 2 weeks as I found it hard to watch constantly and I am praying that the scriptwriter was sacked before the second season. Seriously, after movies like "The Road" this fails but only because of the individual episode scripts but the cast tried so hard. If you know nothing of a post holocaust world you could even enjoy the whole series like my wife did. but if you have a clue, you may well spend a lot of time cringing like I did.

What a pity!!

Now I am halfway though the second season and it has greatly improved and no, I did not look to see who was the screenwriter. In a nutshell the most annoying characters have been removed, killed, promoted (thank god), the ever present Deus ex Machina of season 1 has gone on holiday while improbability and coincidence seems also to have lost their way. Naturally the impossible happens still, but there is a tautness (due to funding lack, I guess) about the 8 episodes where you can see the plot being compressed and the rubbish (thank god_) being stripped out. I have to admit that the sudden presence of Jennings & Rall, all neatly organised for a post apocalyptic world seemed too much of a coincidence for me as soon as I saw them and the link to Ravenwood was expected.

But IMHO much improved from season one and I will give it now a seven for trying very hard to do what it did on an obviously limited budget. BTW although Fanatical ideologists (Islam IS an ideology) are the MOST likely source of an apocalypse, the multinational hegemonies who now control many western goverments do not really seem that interested in stopping terrorism while there is still oil in the Middle east. So work that one out yourselves. One of the truisms of patriotism is that it is the working class and the middle class who are patriotic and who die in revolutions and if leftist it is the middle class who pay the price. The Rich do what they have always done: abandon their"country" and move to their overseas estates so do NOT expect any western governments to do ANYTHING which will disrupt the flow of money into the the coffers of the rich as all western politicians hope to join this "club of the rich" and usually succeed no matter what the cost to their fellow countrymen..

Unbelievable Series!!!

Author: Jerichofan2009 from United States
30 September 2009

A most remarkable series that should never have been considered for cancellation! All of the other shows that merely contain sex that are currently on TV have nothing against this amazing fight for survival in post-holocaust America. Skeet Ulrich provides a profound insight into the rise from outcast to leader. An amazing display of writing, directing, choreography and acting by all the cast sets the standard that surpasses even Lost (and I am a Lost fanatic). If you wish to support the continuation of this series in the form of comics (and they are well illustrated), the series debuts in October 2009. Get your copy of Season 3: Civil War today!!!

Greatest show i have ever seen!!

Author: jcurl3680 from United States
9 September 2009

This show changed how many of us in this country think of television. It provides an honest approach to a real drama. The show demanded your attention from week to week. I miss this show to be honest. It gave me the feeling of being inside it as it progressed. I wish CBS would reconsider canceling it, but i understand that numbers are everything. Seasons 1&2 are now available on netflix, and i would encourage anyone who has not yet seen it to do so. This show will provide a picture of what could happen if the govt. ever became too corrupt. I personally think that this show could have become a multi-season epic thriller if it had been given the chance to develop the storyline further.

Jericho Fans Crying Out for Quality Programming

Author: Susan Howell from United States
7 April 2008

The series Jericho is the finest program that has been aired on the networks in a very long time. Jericho is THE show that brought me back to network viewing. In a time where "unreality" and soap opera "who is sleeping with who" is considered quality programming there is an outcry from viewers screaming "We are not going to take this anymore". I do not intend to slow down when I reach 49 so why does Nielsen consider that as the cutoff age for the target age group? Shoot, even the government raised the retirement age years ago so why can't Nielsen see that people are living longer healthier lives and spending their hard earned dollars??? Thank you Jericho for giving me my voice back...you are a superb show and don't let Nielsen's faulty numbers tell you otherwise!!!